Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Did 1.3 Billion Bring Charm and Positive Personality to DCA? AKA my Aug 2012 trip

Did 1.3 Plus Billion Bring Charm and Positive Personality to DCA?
    AKA My August 2012 Trip to DL, DCA, Universal, and Warner Brothers

So many changes have occurred at the Disneyland Resort, since my last trip in February 2010. I was an AP'er going back prior to the turn of the Millenium until 2010, and with many parts of the DLR being refreshed, renewed, and rehabilitated, over the past two and a half years, it was a good time to take a step away and refresh my excitement for Disneyland.

Thankfully MiceChat, with its minimum twice weekly Photo Updates, helped get me through my own DL rehab/withdrawl. It kept me up to date with all the anticipated and actual changes, via the internet. It also help provide me with a list of nearly two dozen new things that I wanted to make sure to experience on this most recent visit.

Lots of new things to see and do, most of them in DCA, and even a few in DL. Even Universal Studios beckoned, as well as a taping of a new CBS sit com at Warner Brothers.

"But enough of this chit chat, yick yack, and flim flam. Just refrain from hibernating, and we'll all enjoy the show...because we got a lot to give." and here come the photo's, (with just a few short somments, to connect the photos and fill you in!)

Day 1 - Phoenix to Universal Studios

This trip started with an early morning drive from Phoenix, on I-10 to LA and then the 101 north to Universal Studios.

Parked in the Curious George Parking structure, and walked through Universal City Walk. (My last trip here was when the Simpson's had just recently opened.)

City Walk really does have more excitement and energy than Downtown Disney. Universal has more two story space and shops than Downtown Disney, it even has a more unique moving going experience and its own Comedy Club. It's easy to sense that, even during the morning hours. So kudos to Universal.

And this brought me to the main entrance of Universal Studios Hollywood.

Of course, the first thing on my Universal checklist was the new Transformers attraction, so I headed to the lower lot. What a wonderful view Universal offers!

And onward to Transformers. Personally, I only saw the first movie, and was not a big fan of the movie, however I was looking forward to this new ride experience!

This attraction does offer a single rider line, but from reading reports here at MiceChat, I recall that the regulart line offers a better queue and fills you in on the storyline of the attraction, so I opted for the longer line, the first go-around.

I really appreciated the different sections of the queue, each giving you a new details about the back story. There are several video screens in each section and I think this is the best queue at Univerasl Hollywood.

Over my two days at Universal, I rode this twice. For some reason the first time, the 3D effects/screens just were not that impressive. The 2nd time it was better - my guess is that the lens of the first pair of glasses was messed up/warped however these glasses are definitely more sturdy than the cheapo glasses used for Muppet 3D or Bug's Life at DCA.

The transition from one video screen to another, was done well, and this is a good attraction. However, honestly, I was expecting the real set and the video set to look more cohesive, that it actually was. I still enjoyed it but, I really do enjoy REAL LIFE 3D rather than the fake 3D that requires special glasses.

And yes, they did have the largest meet and greet characters I've ever seen!

Just across the way was a props and costumes exhibit. One section showed some of the sets and character from the stop motion movie "ParNorman"

There was also a meet and greet in the upper lot with Norman, along with three of his dead co-stars.

Next up was the Mummy. I do enjoy this attraction also, and it's certainly something that Disneyland doesn't have anything like. Could you say it's a weird hybrid of Indiana Jones and Space Mt. Ghost Galaxy? The inital part is like a cheaper looking version of Indiana Jones, and then turns into a coaster. Even though the spirits on the Mummy are more stationary, the do show up better than Ghost Galaxy at DL. And it is fun to have a coaster that does go both forwards and backwards.

And of course you have to take some time to at least look at the Jurassic Park attraction. I really do like this attraction, however I passed on it this trip, because I just didn't want to get drenched.

That's really to bad because, otherwise I consider it a great attraction. It's just too bad they can't desiginate some boats for a "Drench" experience, and some as a "Dry" experience.

more to come on this 6 day trip !

Last edited by Aladdin; 09-08-2012 at 09:01 PM.

Re: Did 1.3 Billion Bring Charm and Positive Personality to DCA? AKA my Aug 2012 trip

Great trip report so far. Loving the pictures! Can;t wait until you get to the Disneyland Part. But my main question for you is...did you go on the Studio Tour at all? It's the main star of the entire park!

Total Tender Rides: 20
    Total Lilly Belle Rides: 9
    Total Dapper Days Attended: 2
    Total Mark Twain Wheelhouse Rides: 5

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Re: Did 1.3 Billion Bring Charm and Positive Personality to DCA? AKA my Aug 2012 trip

Day 1 ~ Continued
    After Exploring the Lower Lot, I headed back to the Upper Lot

I really enjoy the Simson's attraction, and headed to

KRUSTYLAND! Thank goodness you don't need 3D glasses for this attraction. (I didn't even bother seeing Shrek or Terminator on this trip.)

And I do like how they themed the Store next to it. I LOVE the posters of the various attractions in Krustyland, and was happy to see some kiddie cups with 4 of the posters. They even had a map of Krustyland on a shirt, unfortunately, it was a woman's shirt.

Next up is my favorite attraction at Universal, the Tram Tour. Last time at bat on this one, Conan was the new host, and I enjoyed his antics. Unfortnately, with Jimmy Fallon, about the only thing somewhat memorable was his half good guy, half bad guy outfit on the Six Points portion of the tour, and even that was rather lame. If only Conan could replace Jimmy.

Other than that I really enjoyed the tour, which I did two times, once on day 1 and once on day 2. About the only things I didn't see on the tour were the parting waters and the areas where Conan drove the tram around in a circle.

On to the Tour:

This was my first time to experience the new King Kong, (sigh) with 3D glasses. I was in the last tram car both times I rode this, and I was somewhat impressed by this. With Kong battling spiders and Dinosaurs this time. And it was a surprise to "see part of our tram attacked and falling to the depths below." I did like this (with the exception of the 3D glasses. REAL set are ALWAYS better than using 3D glasses.) However I do miss the HUGE AA ~ ol' banana breath.

The next newest change on the tour was the conversion of Dolly's former place of employment being converted into a 21st century Munster Home.

Next up was Wysteria Lane, this time around, the "residents" were decorating their homes for Halloween. Perhaps the neighbors heard that the Munsters were moving close to their street, and they wanted to make them feel at home!

Moving on

Looks like some people were in the house

Currently, this is the only winter scenery at Universal. Hopefully in a couple years,, they will have a whole new area with a winter theme!

We ran into this hitch hiker, who looked like he was having some difficulty

He didn't seem very pleased that our tram driver just sped off. (Hey, the tram drivers aren't allowed to pick up additional passengers )

The last thing on the tour is still themed to the Mummy.

That was the end of my first day at Universal, as I still had to check into my hotel.

Coming Day 2, More at Universal, exploring of some newer entertainment in the upper lot, as well as the "World's Most Popular Show" (or at least thats what Universal claims!)

Then I see a taping of a new CBS Comedy! And then DL and DCA on days 3 through 6!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Day 2
    Just before I checked in at my hotel, I stopped at Costco for some snacks. That particular Costco was offering a Universal Annual Pass (with a few block out dates) for just a $59, that was just $1 more than my two day pass. Since I had already used the first day on my pass, I wouldn't be able to return my original pass to Costco, so I thought I would check with Universal Customer Service, since I would have to go there for the 2nd day of my pass anyway. It couldn't hurt to ask. After explaining the situation, to Universal customer service said that "their computer won't let them upgrade for the $1 difference, they could only apply the cost I paid toward their standard offers. The tickets sold at Costco were done through Universal Corporate Sales department." I asked since the tickets were still sold through Universal why can't they can't offer the same price. Sadly they didn't have an answer to that question, so I proceeded with just having them process my 2nd day pass. I certainly felt as though I were ripped off, but put it behind to enjoy my 2nd day. But it is rather irritating to see different offers for admission in Arizona than SoCal, and that goes for both Universal and Disneyland. Although nowhere in the Universal Pass offer did it say it was exclusively for SoCal residents. ( I do want all of you to beware of those kind of pricing differences, as well as the lack of concern that Universal had. )

Into the park, the first stop of the day was Transformers. The single rider line this time, and the line was rather short, with only the safety speil portion of the background story in this queue. The 3D glasses I had this time did work better. This is a good attraction for Universal, and I am looking forward to see even more all encompassing attractions for their Harry Potter addition

Next was the tram tour for a 2nd time. This time Colonial/Wysteria was passed by, as was the parting of the waters and where Conan did the "Circle" thing for the first time in Universal History. (Will Universal ever be able to top these tram tour videos? I doubt it) Conan's style of comedy worked so well with Universal Tour.

Then it was time for what Univeral advertises as the World's most popular show "Waterworld".

Yes this is a really good show, with water, pyro effects, great stunt work,

a plane that drops in,

and this time, even a happy little rainbow!

After the show, I explored some of the sights and sounds, and even some entertainment in the upper lot.

There were few props on display, including some Myster Van (how 70's )

I did get a sandwich on their French Street. While eating outside, a French Police Officer that showed up, along with three gals on moped's who put on a updated Can Can Show. This was certainly a nice additional piece of entertainment. It's nice to see Universal doing some different things, taking you out of California, and placing you in a different part of the world.

One place that was absent of guests was this charming courtyard, that separates their French and London streets.

Over on the London Street a Piano Player caught my attention, on a 2nd song a "sanitation engineer" joined in, adding percussion, for a song or two. This was another unsuspected surprise in the upper lot. It's so nice to see Universal adding some life to this area. Soon there were a couple bobbies on the street. Even the piano player's "Monty Python-esque" wife showed up with her *****cat, on an upper balcony. This additional streetmosphere entertainment is something I really enjoyed. Congratulations to Universal for this kind of entertaiment!!!

And that is only a small amount of the entertainment found in the upper lot. New York Street had a couple resident talking to people, below in the street. ~ she must be one of Linda Richmond's cousins.

Not too far away, the Blues Brothers showed up, And a little later, this gal, and her crew showed up.

I thought it might be Marilyn Monroe, at first, but when I got a closer look, I noticed . . . . .

She has Betty Davis eyes . . . . . .

Several other characters showed up in the upper lot, as well, from Lucy, to Scooby, Spongebob, Homer, Bart,

Among some of the snack stands in the upper lot, I hadn't seen this before , at Universal

then I also saw this cart ~ ended up purchase the "Cupcake Popcorn" ~ MMMMMmmmmmMMMMMmmm!

And I also remember this cart from before, but never purchased anything here,

This is really a fun experince, just don't buy anything this donkey tries to sell you Last I heard, he was upset that Puss in Boots got his own movie, and Donkey is attempting to raise funds for his own movie! No takers, so far!

Just before leaving, I had to check out some of the souvenier shops,

I couldn't help but notice a theme they had with some of their plush:

For Jurassic Park - the bear in camo, holding a small dinosaur

The Hollywood themed Bear - dressed as a director:

And for the Simpson's - The Duff Beer Bear

Mid Afternoon, I drove over to Warner Brothers Studio. Parked in their garage, after the parking attendant checked my reservation. The waiting area for the studio audiences was on the 1st floor of the gargage. Several benches were in the waiting area, and we checked in with the person in charge of the show we had reservations for.

They checked our printed reservation and our id's, and we waited in the order that we checked in. When they were ready to take us across the street, they took us across the crosswalk and through the entrance gate. We were not allowed to bring camera's cell phones or other electronic devices. However I'm pretty sure this is one of the security guards we encountered

Rows of large recording studios were on either side, as we proceeded single file. As we enter our particular studio, I noticed an embossed sign near the entrance door, that listed all the various tv shows that had recorded in that building. Among the various shows, I did see Wonderwoman on the list.

They took us in by group, and seated us in rows. The seating area was long and narrow, and high above where they were filming the show. Each of the rooms of the show were all in one long row directly in front of the audience. Depending on where you were seated, where ever the currnent scene would either be in front of you, or it could be a ways to your right or left. Sometimes you were not able to see the scene they were taping, however they did have video monitors for the studio audience.

There really is quite a bit of extra work they have to do, in order tio have a real studio audience see the show being taped. The advantage of this is that the writers and director will have immediate feedback on how well certain scenes and jokes go over. Some scene might be done with just one take, but usually the writers huddled together immediately after the first take, and they would redo the scene, or just certain parts of the scene. This might go on
    two or three times. At one point they were having some sound difficulties, and it may have taken them about 4 or 5 attempts until the sound issues were resolved. Other times, they did retakes in order phrase a joke differently, or substitute an entirely different jokes. Sometimes a retake was because of a flubbled line.

Flubbled lines didn't happen too often, but when they did, you could tell the cast was having fun with it. This was just the 2nd episode of this particular show, that I had seen taped, but you could tell that this particular cast worked together real well, and jokes went over real well. I can see real potential for the longevity of this show. The Director for this series had a choice of several shows to direct this year, as he is one of the best directors in Sit Com history, as he goes back to the 70's. His most well known show is Cheers and Will & Grace. Who is the director? James Burrows. take a look at his profile at imdb and you will be able to see all the other shows he has directed.

For those of you who haven't seen a show taped, or if you have only seen a talk show taped, you might be surprised to find out how long it takes to actually tape a half hour sit com (which probably contains no more than 20 minutes of actual show.) And consider the fact the the cast and crew have rehearsed all week for just this 20 minutes of air time. For the studio audience, we were told to arrive at least 2 hours before the start time, (some shows you should show up earlier, depending on how popular the show is, because there is no guarantee that you will be part of the show, and they usually take you in the order you come - unless perhaps you have cast connections) They finished taping about 4 hours after the start time they mentioned to us. I have seen a couple other tapings of sit coms and one episode did take close to 6 hours to complete.

So, you can imagine that the studio audience might grow restless for that period of time. So, to keep us entertained, they do have a "host" to do this. The host informs the studio audience about what is happening between tapings, and keep us in a responsive mood for when they are taping. And for thuis particular studio audience, they provided water, a slice of pizza and candy, toward the end of the taping session. Here's a photo of the people who entertained us between scenes:

Ok, that really isn't a photo, as we weren't allowed to bring camera's or cell phones.

But he did have a similar attitude.

Well, after all that maybe you are curious about which show this was, maybe not, since it's not on the air, yet. But according to all the preliminary hype about the show, it is hopefully (for CBS) it's big Fall hit "Partners". I would consider this a "Will & Grace" the next generation. Just prior to the taping, they did show us the 1st episode of the show, which had been taped just the week before (however the pilot episode, which had been taped months prior, was the basis for the 1st episode) As of today, I understand they have two more episodes "in the can" for a total of 4.

As a sit com fan, I really enjoy doing this every once in a while.

(As a side note, Am I the only one that thinks one of the stars of this show, Michael Urie, looks a little like D23's Disney Geek, Jeffrey Epstein? go to youtube and take a look.)

That ended my 2nd vacation day.

I'm sure many of the "Malcom's " out there are asking "There WILL be Disneyland, in this Disneyland Report, won't there?"

As promised Days 3 through 6 are nothing but DL Resort. And after the first day or two, they all kind of merged together in my mind, for the most part, so will start off with the arrival, then go to DCA coverage, and then move on to DL, with a final look at merchandise, to provide for my souvenier needs.

Last edited by Aladdin; 09-09-2012 at 07:45 PM.

• Nic

LOVE this report!

Oh and that "Mystery Van" is from Scooby Doo, by the way.
    Last edited by Chesire; 09-09-2012 at 03:16 PM.
    Fear of the unknown.

They are afraid of new ideas.

They are loaded with prejudices, not based upon any reality, but based on if something is new, I reject it immediately because its frightening to me. What they do instead is just stay with the familiar.
    You know, to me, the most beautiful things in all the universe, are the most mysterious.

• I'm from Canada eh!

Great report!

• Minion

Love this trip report so far Can't wait for more

• Goofy

nice trip report thanks

Great so far, keep it coming!!!

• I'm a Lutheran

Quote Originally Posted by Chesire View Post
    LOVE this report!

Oh and that "Mystery Van" is from Scooby Doo, by the way.
    It's actually the Mystery Machine haha.

I'm really digging on this trip report. Can't wait until you reach the Disney portion.
    Theatrical Roles: Various Roles (The Laramie Project), Fred (Oklahoma!), Oberon (Shakespeare in Hollywood), Hero (A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum), Valere (The Miser), Moonface Martin (Anything Goes), Thenardier/Laborer/Army Officer/Ensemble (Les Miserables), Franz (The Sound of Music), Tobias Ragg (Sweeney Todd), Tinman (The Wiz), Elles Dad/Winthrop/Ensemble (Legally Blonde), William Barfee/Leaf's Dad/Jesus Christ (25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee), Fiddler on the Roof (Rabbi), The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (Muff Potter/Ensemble), Shrek the Musical (Lord Farquaad)

• Nic

Quote Originally Posted by MANEATINGWREATH View Post
    It's actually the Mystery Machine haha.
    I knew, I was just referring to what Aladdin said.
    Fear of the unknown.

They are afraid of new ideas.

They are loaded with prejudices, not based upon any reality, but based on if something is new, I reject it immediately because its frightening to me. What they do instead is just stay with the familiar.
    You know, to me, the most beautiful things in all the universe, are the most mysterious.

• "I Break Things"

amazing how one of the worst movies was turned into one of the best live action shows...!
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Days 3 thru 5

( Attempted to add commentary 9-11-12, but micechat system logged me out , just as I had completed them. Will atttempt again later this week )

Last edited by Aladdin; 09-11-2012 at 08:27 PM.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Days 3 thru 5
    DCA and Trader Sam's!

commentary to fiollow

---------- Post added 09-10-2012 at 09:18 PM ----------

Days 3 thru 5
    Disneyland!

( Commentary to be added when all photos uploaded )

Can you seel how happy Minnie is, just to hold Mickey's hand

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Did 1.3 Plus Billion Bring Charm
    and a Positive Personality to DCA?

Days 3 thru 5
    Disneyland!

No trip report is complete without the Castle, part of the charm of DL for over 57 years!

The charm of Frontierland

and the real life inhabitants on the backside of Big Thunder, these ducks are eyeing the pond, just below them, I guess the pond on the other side of the stream is always wetter (or fishier )

Fantasyland's charming mountain

Critter Country's charming Splash Down

The charming character, that it all started with.

The mysterious Cave of Wonders

Thank goodness DCA has a Parade, and one that is worthy of Disneyland.

I really do like all the up tempo songs that they chose for this parade.

Nice to see two long lost friends return for this parade!

The impressive princess float!

The only missing Charming thing is Snow's Prince

for the photo below,

Snow must need some more sugar in that Lemon Meringue Pie!

or

Snow is doing her impression of Disney's long lost 8th Dwarf "Crusty"!

Feel free to reply with your own caption MiceChatters have a real good reputation for this kind of thing

Rapunzel must be working on her "Bennnnnd, and snap!"

I only wish they would have done a larger float for all their Jungle movies! (I LOVE Hong Kong's Jungle float!)

Tiana has a cute float too, this brings back memories of one of my all time favorites shows, at Disneyland, "Tiana's Showboat Jubilee!"

gotta love how Peter Pan loves challenging Captain Hook!

all while Tinkerbell looks on

Did 1.3 Plus Billion Bring Charm
    and a Positive Personality to DCA?

Day 6
    at Disneyland!

One of the newer characters that I have not met is Rapunzel, and she quite the charmer. She has quite the lively personality. What made the visit even better is that . . .

Flynn Rider was with her! Rapunzel was telling Flynn and me, about a recipe that she spices up with pepper. I don't recall what it was, but it was something you would never add pepper to. Both Flynn and I though it was a bad idea, Flynn made his opinion on that matter known, and Rapunzel seemed none to happy about that. I suggested that perhaps being locked up in the tower for so many years, Rapunzel may have an extremely limited list of spices and foods that she uses. Flynn high fived me, and poor Rapunzel was rather mad at the both of us. Fortunately, she didn't stay mad, too long. I asked them to say "Hi" to Maximus, for me, as he is my favorite Disney horse.

Someone asked to see "the Smolder", and Rapunzel spoke up, "You should see MY smolder, watch MY smolder! She was just a crack up. And the interaction between her and Flynn is some of the best I have seen at any Disney park! I'm so glad they still have her meet and greet set up, it's the perfect thing to fill in that little place, and so glad they didn't kill off Flynn, like DL usually does to all the male characters, after the first month or two!

I'm usually not too much into meet and greets, but I do like to try all the new things at DL at least once. I was happy to hear the sometimes they open Aladdin's Oasis, and as you saw previously, I was able to see the Cave of Wonder's again. I stopped by a 2nd time, and Oasis area wasn't available, however both Aladdin and the Genie were there. On trips here, in the past, it was usually Aladdin and Jasmine. I was glad to see Genie at the meet and greet, as I don't even remember if or when I ever saw Genie at a meet and greet! So happy with the way this photo turned out! Thanks guys!

One thing that has sort of become a tradition, is to have a Monte Cristo as my last meal before going home. MMMMMM!!!! And I Love the fresh brewed iced tea here, too!

Oh, just to mention some of my other food items that are on my favorites list:
    the Nachos (Beef or Chicken) at Whitewater Snacks at the Grand Californian! I think the serving size is smaller, than when I ate there last time, but they were good!

I also like the Chimichanga in DL, however, I wish that they would have a choice of either Beef of Chicken, beans alone it just too plain.

I also like the jalepeno cheese filled preztels, however, I just didn't run into them this time around.

The Scenery while dinning at Cafe Orleans is pretty nice, too!

Oh, YES, I have comments about some of my favorite Disney Characters below. Comments coming soon!

Last edited by Aladdin; 09-12-2012 at 10:01 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast