Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Minion

Re: BVS ALREADY becoming "unthemed!"

Yikes. :/ I was trying to remain hopeful but these are really awful. It wasn't even too long ago that Disney released videos of finding the perfect props and dressing these very displays. I can't imagine how irate the Imagineer who decorated these windows feels right now.

I noticed this on Saturday at the Five and Dime, as well. The antique baseball jerseys have been pushed back so they are only visible from inside, and there is clutter in the other window that takes attention away from the books.

This will not solve their problem. There are several roots to this problem:

1) As others have said, the shops carry generic, non-specific merchandise that can be found elsewhere in the resort.

2) DCA tends to close earlier than DL. I'd say there exists a good percentage of visitors who are able to park-hop. Why stay an extra hour shopping at DCA when you could hop over to DL and ride the Matterhorn? You could even buy mostly the same merchandise (minus the Cars and trolley merch) on Main Street after DL closes, or you could even visit World of Disney on the way to the tram later. An open DL will always draw guests away from a closed DCA, no matter how adorable BVS is (and it is). The parks need to close at the same time.

3) Disney has to regain people's trust after building a bunch of worthless facades in Hollywood land. This can be remedied with a complete overhaul of that area. People need to trust that buildings can be entered and are not facades. This would help solve the open door/AC problem.

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by BlAcKoUt510 View Post
    . . . Not that I like it. But if that's the case a company needs to make its money.
    Maybe part of the reason DCA has been drawing in so many guests since BVS & Carsland opened is because it was so attractively themed. Aggressive selling can be unattractive.

• Hello Dolly.

Quote Originally Posted by jcruise86 View Post
    Maybe part of the reason DCA has been drawing in so many guests since BVS & Carsland opened is because it was so attractively themed. Aggressive selling can be unattractive.
    True. But if they felt the need to change the displays because they weren't selling as much as they liked, the attractively themed windows weren't working.

Of course that's if low merchandise sales are the case, which it might not be.

• Banned User

You guys do know that Disney is allowed to make a return on their investments, dont you? I think some of you would prefer Disney go under than to compromise on your IMAGINARY Disney IDEALS. Wierd. If this is what they need to do to make BVS profitable and be able to have future cash for reinvestment, then go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by planodisney View Post
    You guys do know that Disney is allowed to make a return on their investments, dont you? I think some of you would prefer Disney go under than to compromise on your IMAGINARY Disney IDEALS. Wierd. If this is what they need to do to make BVS profitable and be able to have future cash for reinvestment, then go for it.

I'd strongly argue against this window display change from a business standpoint. It has been proven again and again in recent years that outstanding theme-ing = outstanding crowds and profits (Potterland, Carsland, etc.). DCA is finally seeing success because of the excellent theme-ing of CL and BVS. Why undermine that?

It would be like Universal placing Wizarding World t-shirts in this window:

This change will have a conscious or sub-concious affect of making BVS (and DCA) feel a little less unique to every visitor that enters and leaves the park... a little more like a generic disneystore... a little less compelling.

• He Gets The Job Done

Blog Entries

because window displays with fake merchandise that probably only APers pay attention to is SOOOO much more important than displaying what is ACTUALLY sold in the shops.

So everyone complains about this, but not one single complaint about 99.9% of the same window displays in Disneyland being "lack of theme".

The original window dressings set the period and told the story of the land. They were interesting - full of things you don't see every day. Every shop in both parks ought to strive for this (and, more importantly, sell unique, theme-appropriate merchandise inside) and be part of the show. The retail of Disney parks worldwide once did this. No longer (post Pressler).

It is Walmarting of the parks, pure and simple.

• ~

Quote Originally Posted by RandySavage View Post
    The original window dressings set the period and told the story of the land. They were interesting - full of things you don't see every day. Every shop in both parks ought to strive for this (and, more importantly, sell unique, theme-appropriate merchandise inside) and be part of the show. The retail of Disney parks worldwide once did this. No longer (post Pressler).

Bingo. The old window displays of Buena Vista Street told its story. That's why I visit Disneyland, that's why I was so ecstatic to visit the new BVS, to be immersed in the Los Angeles of 1923. The windows were actually one of the things I was most excited to see! But alas, no longer. I'm sure that the rest of the street is still just splendid, but the window displays all had such rich history and story that I wish they were still a part of the land.

• Senior Minion

Bingo x 2.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Embrace the kitsch!

It would be like Universal placing Wizarding World t-shirts in this window:

Just think, people used to hold up DL as an example of what other parks should do. Guess the shoe's on the other foot now.

Makes me wonder how long before kids start saying things like, "Aw, mom, why do we have to go to Disneyland this summer? Bobby's parents are taking him to Universal Studios!"
    Disneyland Historic Preservation Society
    Charter Member

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by planodisney View Post
    You guys do know that Disney is allowed to make a return on their investments, dont you?
    You're right..they should just drop the theme park concept entirely.. It's just holding them back anyway right?
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

This is ridiculous. Why must Disney do this kind of stuff to things that are perfect the first time? I loved pouring over the rich details that the window displays had to offer. If I want to see the merchandise I'll go inside the store....
    Jack Sparrow - "You have been monstrously deceived." Pirate - We are decepted then..." Jack Sparrow - "Yes"

• "I Break Things"

just wait until the next big blockbuster comes out and EVERY WINDOW has that character merchandise... like when Nemo took over Adventureland...
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Hello Dolly.

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    like when Nemo took over Adventureland...
    Wow I don't even remember that thank god.!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast