Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by BlAcKoUt510 View Post
    True. But if they felt the need to change the displays because they weren't selling as much as they liked, the attractively themed windows weren't working. . .
    Define "working"?

Quote Originally Posted by RandySavage View Post
    I'd strongly argue against this window display change from a business standpoint. It has been proven again and again in recent years that outstanding theme-ing = outstanding crowds and profits (Potterland, Carsland, etc.). DCA is finally seeing success because of the excellent theme-ing of CL and BVS. Why undermine that?

It would be like Universal placing Wizarding World t-shirts in this window:

This change will have a conscious or sub-concious affect of making BVS (and DCA) feel a little less unique to every visitor that enters and leaves the park... a little more like a generic disneystore... a little less compelling.
    And the Jcruise86 award for best use of a photo to illustrate a point goes to . . . RandySavage!

That window makes me want to visit Universal Studios in Orlando.

I love Disneyland other Disney parks (excluding the studios park in Paris) and when I cheer on Universal's details (having information stands instead of time share salesmen, passing out free pretzels while we waited about 15 minutes during a Transformers "breakdown", distributing free hot chocolate during rain, having attractive Universal sugar packets) it's partly because I hope they'll inspire Disney to greater heights.
    Last edited by jcruise86; 09-10-2012 at 11:48 PM.

• Minion

Re: BVS ALREADY becoming "unthemed!"

Quote Originally Posted by The First Star View Post
    I noticed this on Saturday at the Five and Dime, as well. The antique baseball jerseys have been pushed back so they are only visible from inside, and there is clutter in the other window that takes attention away from the books.

This will not solve their problem. There are several roots to this problem:

1) As others have said, the shops carry generic, non-specific merchandise that can be found elsewhere in the resort.

2) DCA tends to close earlier than DL. I'd say there exists a good percentage of visitors who are able to park-hop. Why stay an extra hour shopping at DCA when you could hop over to DL and ride the Matterhorn? You could even buy mostly the same merchandise (minus the Cars and trolley merch) on Main Street after DL closes, or you could even visit World of Disney on the way to the tram later. An open DL will always draw guests away from a closed DCA, no matter how adorable BVS is (and it is). The parks need to close at the same time.

3) Disney has to regain people's trust after building a bunch of worthless facades in Hollywood land. This can be remedied with a complete overhaul of that area. People need to trust that buildings can be entered and are not facades. This would help solve the open door/AC problem.

Exactly!!!
    "Happy Working Song" parody for DCA remodel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-TYESfNTP8&feature=plcp

Retro Rant Review of "The Hunchback of Notre Dame II" (comedy review of direct-to-video
    Disney sequel):
    Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../1/q1j7FU8QXu0
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../0/sasNTMDRBLU

Retro Rant Review of "Home on the Range" (comedy review of Disney movie):
    Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7mC-...feature=relmfu
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoUie...feature=relmfu
    Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3Vea...feature=relmfu

Visit my site: http://www.vividgroovy.com

Pratfall the albatross superheroine visits the Carthay Circle Theatre.

• 2 shots on the rocks.

I am so glad I got photos of all the beautifully themed window displays before they were vandalized by retail. I'm completely disgusted by this.

I think next summer we are skipping DLR and booking a trip to Universal Florida for the very first time.
    Last edited by doppio; 09-11-2012 at 05:26 PM.

• Nutty about Disney parks

Quote Originally Posted by jcruise86 View Post
    Define "working"?

And the Jcruise86 award for best use of a photo to illustrate a point goes to . . . RandySavage!

That window makes me want to visit Universal Studios in Orlando.

I love Disneyland other Disney parks (excluding the studios park in Paris) and when I cheer on Universal's details (having information stands instead of time share salesmen, passing out free pretzels while we waited about 15 minutes during a Transformers "breakdown", distributing free hot chocolate during rain, having attractive Universal sugar packets) it's partly because I hope they'll inspire Disney to greater heights.
    You know that Disney is in serious trouble when it's competition starts acting more like Disney than Disney.

Since Atwater Ink and Paint is an art supply store, I expect it to sell art supplies, not kitchenware. Since Julius Katz is supposed to be like a watch store, I expect it to sell watches, not whatever the heck is in their window display. This is just like what happened with the Carsland Curio Shop. Instead of selling curios, they're selling generic Carsland merchandise. If you want people to know that you're a store and be appealling, then both theme and merchandising need to work together to the become and attractive shopping experience. Perhaps calling Julius Katz a repair shop wasn't the best of ideas since it confuses people into thinking it's just a facade. But at least one can go into HoneyDukes in WWoHP and they'll actually sell candy.
    Toonaspie: I have Asperger's. I like cartoons. Toonaspie!

• Banned User

WOW!! I guess Im just different, but the comments on this thread are ridiculous.
    Do the windows look better the other way. Yes. should Disney be forced to forego profit to satisfy people who go to the park 3 times a weak because they dont have anything else to do. NO!!

The stores are empty. People arent going in. Ive seen it myself. They have to try something for petes sake. And dont try to blame it on just the merchandiseas. World Of Disney and Main Street are absolutely packed. I dont know exactly why what is happening is happening, but they have to try something.T
    hey didnt spend 1 billion dollars on this expansion as a gift to pass holders, but to make a profit.

• Minion

I really don't like what they're doing and I'm hoping they switch it back to the themed displays. I'm sure many people know these are shops. If they want to buy something, fine. If they don't, fine. I understand why they've put the merchandise in the windows but I really don't like it. Switch it back please, and while they're at it, bring back the themed cups, napkins and wrappers too!

Quote Originally Posted by planodisney View Post
    WOW!! I guess Im just different, but the comments on this thread are ridiculous.
    Do the windows look better the other way. Yes. should Disney be forced to forego profit to satisfy people who go to the park 3 times a weak because they dont have anything else to do. NO!!
    First, let's be clear: that Disney has altered the windows to increase profits is conjecture. It makes sense, but we don't actually know.

The argument is not that Disney should "forego profits" to satisfy diehards. Rather, that the totality and authenticity of dedicated theming creates a brand of quality that guarantees profits and interest long-term.

It's an especially prescient argument considering -- as has been mentioned here -- that Disney's main theme park competitor is currently displaying more authenticity of approach in their merchandise theming. Continued devolving of merch into a random cacophony of tchotchkes could have a seriously detrimental effect on brand perception.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kritter View Post
    because window displays with fake merchandise that probably only APers pay attention to is SOOOO much more important than displaying what is ACTUALLY sold in the shops.

So everyone complains about this, but not one single complaint about 99.9% of the same window displays in Disneyland being "lack of theme".
    I don't think anyone likes either of them "selling" out people are most mad because it took 3 months for Disney to have to do it to there new land

Also if done RIGHT then sure but from the pictures I've seen....it clashes with the old theme for the most part. If your going to sell out make it look good

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Quote Originally Posted by toonaspie View Post
    You know that Disney is in serious trouble when it's competition starts acting more like Disney than Disney.

Since Atwater Ink and Paint is an art supply store, I expect it to sell art supplies, not kitchenware. Since Julius Katz is supposed to be like a watch store, I expect it to sell watches, not whatever the heck is in their window display. This is just like what happened with the Carsland Curio Shop. Instead of selling curios, they're selling generic Carsland merchandise. If you want people to know that you're a store and be appealling, then both theme and merchandising need to work together to the become and attractive shopping experience. Perhaps calling Julius Katz a repair shop wasn't the best of ideas since it confuses people into thinking it's just a facade. But at least one can go into HoneyDukes in WWoHP and they'll actually sell candy.
    That is exactly it. At the Wizarding World of Harry Potter the all the facades for the stores are simply the beginning of the experience.

I see the Honey Dukes facade, I see the signage, I begin to understand it is a Candy Shop, I then see the attractive window displays that have beautiful outlandish window dressing. When I open the door to the shop, I know I am going into a Candy Store.

Olivanders, the experience builds, the window dressing supports, the inside experience delivers.

Zonkos same thing.

All the facades and window dressings support the amazing and unique shopping experience I am going to have when I hope that door.

I have to blame the imagineers on this one, for not working with the retailing team to build stories that support the merchandise that would fill those venues.
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

• Hello Dolly.

Quote Originally Posted by jcruise86 View Post
    Define "working"?

Weren't working as even though they themed the windows, it's still not bringing as much people to the store as maybe putting merchandise up there would?

But I'm just speculating if it is due to low merchandise sales. I still don't like they are taking out the themed windows.

• Still lost in Neverland

It's a case of a Merchandise department that is only interested in one thing. And they don't care anything about what Imagineering did to make BVS different and unique. That fact shows plainly when you know what was posted on Mice Age yesterday. Imagineering was never consulted about this change. They just moved the cool stuff aside and slapped in regular Disney merchandise that can even be found at Target.

I understand that Imagineering is furious about this. And don't think that John Lassiter will come and do anything for BVS. It's not Pixar and that is all he is interested in. And the decision for that one store in Carsland selling generic junk was something Florida (who seems to be running our Park now telling our people what to do in our park) and even though he was not at all happy about that, he could do nothing. Even he has limits to what he can do, unfortunately.

It really is not that it was done now, we all knew it would change at some point, but it was the way it was done. Only 3 months. No informing Imagineering what they were planning. They have no clue what is going on and pay no attention to the money that was spent to make everything fit. They just want to show their generic crap all over every store no matter where it is. They have no respect for any other dept in the Resort. It's not even about money as I see people in the BVS stores all the time. Once they fixed the doors and went against the Green Machine, and kept them open, people do go in to the stores.

But, unfortunately, once inside, there is very little in there that can be said to be unique. Some T-Shirts and toys of the streetcar are about it. The rest can be found in every other store in DCA or Disneyland.
    Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

Thank You Poisonedapples

I think people were asking too much about the products in the windows and made them come up with the idea that maybe if they put merchandise in the windows, people will ask about them and buy them.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• Embrace the kitsch!

I don't think it's a question of low merchandise sales. There's an old saying: "To a hammer, everything looks like a nail." The Merchandise Dept. is the hammer and the windows are nails. To someone in retail marketing, the only purpose of a shop window is to display the goods in that shop. Anything else is pointless.

I suppose that even as the Imagineers were arranging their carefully selected props in those windows, the middle management suits were inwardly rolling their eyes about how silly the whole thing was...and smirking as they thought about how quickly they would "fix" that wasted display space.
    Disneyland Historic Preservation Society
    Charter Member

• Orange County

Got married at the Disneyland Resort in 2007!

RIP BVS.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Castro
    The good views along Buena Vista Street were bombarded with Disney merchandise this week as Disneyland’s merchandise department went into the beautiful period-specific window displays and added mannequins and piles of theme park merchandise in an attempt to draw more customers. Never mind the carefully-crafted themes and histories Walt Disney Imagineers created for Disney California Adventure‘s new main entrance plaza — merchandise has taken over, chipping away at the magic in the process.

Meanwhile, Disney-branded printed napkins, soft drink cups and even turkey leg bags are being phased and replaced with cheaper, more generic products out across the resort — but at what cost to the Guest experience?
    Sadly, Disney's corporate cheap-out will continue and continue and continue -- until Disney's customers decide enough is enough, and send management a strong message that it won't be tolerated.

The only message that management hears is the message you send with you wallet by refusing to visit the DLR and telling Disney why you're refusing.

In the meantime, Disney will interpret every dollar you give the DLR as another YES Vote that they can continue to cut the quality of the Guest experience.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast