Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Banned User

Re: BVS ALREADY becoming "unthemed!"

When they get in the Oswald ears & merchandise (hopefully will be at Oswald's gas station), then at least the Filling station will look appropriate, merchandise wise.

BVS is nice . . . upset I didn't look closely at the windows a couple weeks ago during the rush to Carsland, but, BVS uses in-ground spotlights on the trees at night, sure didn't have these in the 1930s. At night BVS just looks like an upscale shopping district in modern times. MSUSA was developed a lot longer than BVS as Walt thought about this area for years and years and had the goal of showing people an idealized vision of his childhood. BVS was envisioned as an upscalish-looking shopping district, and as a place for a high priced restaurant . . . not for attractions.

So, I don't really get the "transported to 1930s vibe", especially because BVS is only 2/3 as long as Main Street, and doesn't look as wide, and doesn't have the side streets that Main Street has which really add detail. Plus, BVS doesn't have a train around the park, just a low-capacity trolley.

I think of Carsland as the star, and BVS as just a nice little walk-through area on the way to Carsland, so I'm not devastatingly disappointed I missed the windows, I wish I saw them for sure, it won't impact my enjoyment of Carsland very much.

IMHO, HoneyDukes in Potterland is based on a location described in the novels . . . BVS was just a way to make Sunshine Plaza look more upscale, not primarily to transport guests somewhere else. If they wanted to do that they should have torn it down and built something like a medieval Merlin's village, or an english street from Mary Poppins, or something like that. IMHO.

Walt didn't want a window on Main Street, he wanted Disneyland to be the star . . . turning Walt's personal history into a bizaro-pseudo-historyland recreation of 1930s California, is a little out there, IMHO. Most guests don't get the little references, and some might think it is just a nice little shopping area.

The world J.K. Rowling described in her novels will always be more detailed than anything WDI can come-up with to "retro-fit" DCA 1.0, as Harry Potter has an elaborate backstory everybody knows about.
    Last edited by chesirecat; 09-12-2012 at 01:38 AM.

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by chesirecat View Post
    . . . Walt didn't want a window on Main Street, he wanted Disneyland to be the star . . .

This sounds like a necessary evil to me. Whatever goes in those windows, be it merch or vintage looking souvenirs, really needs to be on sale. Especially considering the fact that people aren't buying the stuff in the stores and are always asking about the stuff in the windows. I blame both wdi and merchandise dept for not coordinating this. The two really could have had their cakes and eaten them too. Maybe WDI should start submiting merch ideas to the merchandise guys.
    In the quest for quality, I have no problem with the characters footing the bill.

•   
    • Banned User

The purpose of windows in a store is to draw the customers in. For business managers that come from the non-Disney world ( like the ones who probably made this change ) they feel it's as simple as "put things in the windows that are for sale within the store" and some of you seem to defend that. ...and that's just fine in any other store outside of the park. I'm sure there's a slew of department stores out there that would love to have these single-track thinkers working for them.

But this is a Disney park and things work different here. At a Disney park you bring customers into the store by using that window space to do something unique and capture the imagination. If I walk by a window with t-shirts and mouse ears I think "Well ,I'll bet I know what's in there. No need to go in there now." If I walk by a store with a mini-animatronic scene from an animated movie going on in the windows then it gets my attention and I walk over to admire it. ...and I stand by the door, and I see people coming and going, and I hear the activity or see something on the rack through the door, or smell some food scent being intentionally pumped through the air and then I go in. The Disney way of getting me to go in requires more imagination, nay, more Imagineers.

The base complaint here doesn't seem to be that anyone's against Disney making money and I'm borderline offended by those who think it's that simple. It's that they're using traditional window-display thinking in a place known ( and expected by it's own proven history ) to be non-traditional.

You want regular window displays? Head out to Downtown Disney. Personally I'm sorry I never got to see these short-lived window displays.

• Dave

Blog Entries

From everything I have read it seems like a big problem with business in the area is all the doors are closed giving the impression that the stores are closed. I also think they would have been wise to include at least an attraction or two in this area such as the planned movie about Walt or maybe the history of animation. I know the Red Car is in there but that takes people away doesn't get them to stay and shop.
    Maybe have the store doors openand put some type of attraction that gets people to stay
    Dave

It's dissapointing to have stores that are merely false fronts (presently the situation at DCA's Hollywoodland) but when you have a real store that you can actually enter (as on BVS and CarsLand's route 66), it would be nice to see more merchandise that is unique to that store and its theming.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by fifthrider View Post
    The purpose of windows in a store is to draw the customers in. For business managers that come from the non-Disney world ( like the ones who probably made this change ) they feel it's as simple as "put things in the windows that are for sale within the store" and some of you seem to defend that. ...and that's just fine in any other store outside of the park. I'm sure there's a slew of department stores out there that would love to have these single-track thinkers working for them.

But this is a Disney park and things work different here. At a Disney park you bring customers into the store by using that window space to do something unique and capture the imagination. If I walk by a window with t-shirts and mouse ears I think "Well ,I'll bet I know what's in there. No need to go in there now." If I walk by a store with a mini-animatronic scene from an animated movie going on in the windows then it gets my attention and I walk over to admire it. ...and I stand by the door, and I see people coming and going, and I hear the activity or see something on the rack through the door, or smell some food scent being intentionally pumped through the air and then I go in. The Disney way of getting me to go in requires more imagination, nay, more Imagineers.

The base complaint here doesn't seem to be that anyone's against Disney making money and I'm borderline offended by those who think it's that simple. It's that they're using traditional window-display thinking in a place known ( and expected by it's own proven history ) to be non-traditional.

You want regular window displays? Head out to Downtown Disney. Personally I'm sorry I never got to see these short-lived window displays.
    Kudos on an outstanding post. Very well said!
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

My take:
    The facades in Hollywood Backlot aren't real; you can't go in. Buena Vista looks like more of the same when the doors are closed. My friend and I knew they were stores, and we went in to check them out, but nothing really looked appealing. The trolley car stuff was ok, but everything else was pretty generic. Like others have said, you can buy it just about anywhere. No reason to shop in any particular location.

I hate that the receipts say "Disney Parks" on them- no, I'm at one specific Disney park. I want my receipt to reflect that. I'm at *Disneyland* dangit. I hate that all the shops have the same things. Nothing is special. The temporary things help a bit- Hallowe'en shirts and the trick-or-treat buckets, etc, but the regular stuff.... boring.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• Disneyman

Here are a couple of the windows as of Friday:

Disneygeek's Disneyland Update Friday, September 14, 2012

It looks like a mixture of properly themed items......and not so proper.
    "It's fun to do the impossible." ~Walt Disney

• ~

Quote Originally Posted by Reeder View Post
    Here are a couple of the windows as of Friday:

Disneygeek's Disneyland Update Friday, September 14, 2012

It looks like a mixture of properly themed items......and not so proper.
    I noticed that yesterday as well. I was happy that they started to remove some of the modern merchandise and bring back some of the vintage items. But I'm disapointed that they still are mixing the two together. I attempted to take some pictures, but I was having difficulty capturing a photo of the actual displays rather than reflections in the window/the glare from the sun. I got a picture of the baseball window similar to the one in the link. I'm glad that they moved the baseball jerseys back and removed all the cell phone cases and other modern clutter from the floor, but that's where my positivity ends. The other window of the Five and Dime is still awful. You can't see any of the covers of the beautifully designed books. They are all covered up with other merchandise or shoved out of the way. Big Top Toys still has lots of modern merchandise. All of the vintage toys are higher up, away from eye-level. The Artwater Ink and Paint window showed a slight improvement: not as many cooking supplies, no more mannequin modeling cooking aprons, and the art supplies are more visible. I got two pictures that kind of show what the windows look like now. If anyone really wants to see them I can upload them a bit later. Julius Katz looked about the same as in the past pictures. Some of properly themed items are displayed, but are still sharing the window with random modern merch. At least the windows of Trolley Treats weren't touched. Admiring all of the period pieces in the windows makes me imagine what the window displays of BVS used to be like. THAT'S the Buena Vista Street that I want to visit. I want to use my imagination. I want to travel back in time to the Los Angeles of 1923. That's why I visit the DLR. To experience new worlds and appreciate all the little details that embrace you in this alternate reality.

Quite frankly, if the windows are now supposed to draw customers into the store, it's doing the exact opposite for me. The generic modern merchandise repels me from the store. It makes me want to go sit on a bench, watch a citizens of BVS interacting with guests, admire the architecture of the buildings, or take a ride on the Red Car Trolley. The rest of the street truly is beautiful. But the windows are leaving a sour taste in my mouth.

• Nutty about Disney parks

What is with the selling Carsland t-shirts on BVS? Isn't that what Carsland was made for?

• Orange County

Got married at the Disneyland Resort in 2007!

---------- Post added 09-17-2012 at 11:28 PM ----------

I was disappointed by the new window displays when I was there last week. The area is so immersive--to the point that they have face- and even fur-characters in period costume walking around--and then the windows pop you out of it.

If it was a problem of getting people to realize these were actual shops that were open for business though the doors were closed, all they needed was period signage in the doors saying "Come on in , we're open!"

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by gatheringrosebuds View Post
    I noticed that yesterday as well. I was happy that they started to remove some of the modern merchandise and bring back some of the vintage items. But I'm disapointed that they still are mixing the two together. I attempted to take some pictures, but I was having difficulty capturing a photo of the actual displays rather than reflections in the window/the glare from the sun. I got a picture of the baseball window similar to the one in the link. I'm glad that they moved the baseball jerseys back and removed all the cell phone cases and other modern clutter from the floor, but that's where my positivity ends. The other window of the Five and Dime is still awful. You can't see any of the covers of the beautifully designed books. They are all covered up with other merchandise or shoved out of the way. Big Top Toys still has lots of modern merchandise. All of the vintage toys are higher up, away from eye-level. The Artwater Ink and Paint window showed a slight improvement: not as many cooking supplies, no more mannequin modeling cooking aprons, and the art supplies are more visible. I got two pictures that kind of show what the windows look like now. If anyone really wants to see them I can upload them a bit later. Julius Katz looked about the same as in the past pictures. Some of properly themed items are displayed, but are still sharing the window with random modern merch. At least the windows of Trolley Treats weren't touched. Admiring all of the period pieces in the windows makes me imagine what the window displays of BVS used to be like. THAT'S the Buena Vista Street that I want to visit. I want to use my imagination. I want to travel back in time to the Los Angeles of 1923. That's why I visit the DLR. To experience new worlds and appreciate all the little details that embrace you in this alternate reality.

Quite frankly, if the windows are now supposed to draw customers into the store, it's doing the exact opposite for me. The generic modern merchandise repels me from the store. It makes me want to go sit on a bench, watch a citizens of BVS interacting with guests, admire the architecture of the buildings, or take a ride on the Red Car Trolley. The rest of the street truly is beautiful. But the windows are leaving a sour taste in my mouth.
    Fully agree.

I find it interesting that the modern, out-of-theme merch in the windows was scaled back. Wonder if any of the arguments made here were seen/used by those within to make the case against the change. Certainly the WDI from the video must have been furious. In this case, going "half-and-half" still doesn't work. Show ought to win out fully (and inside they should sell some replicas of the vintage stuff in the windows). Make the people feel like they are in a romantic, out-of-the-ordinary, bygone world (as opposed to a dressed-up disneystore) and they will pay come back. I bet that ROI would be far greater in the medium and long term than any short-term bump in merch sales that results from ruining the windows (if such a bump were to occur).

Does anyone know the best resource (site) to find quality pics of all the windows in their un-fouled state?
    Last edited by RandySavage; 09-18-2012 at 06:26 PM.

• Quintessential Studmuffin

in So Cal but my mind is in disneyland!!!

I'm sadden by this, but not as much as others here. From my knowledge, not all the props in the land were altered/removed, only the window displays. If that's the case, it won't ruin my enjoyment of DCA. Just my 2 cents.

I remember when I first visited the new DCA. BVS was full but the shops were empty! There were more CMs than customers in the shops. I guess Disney did this thinking it would somehow remedy the problem. For that I can't fault them for doing so.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast