Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

• Musical Fireman

Re: BVS ALREADY becoming "unthemed!"

At least they fixed some of the windows for a better balance. I just wish WDI could stand up to marketing instead of letting them be in a sense bullied and robbed of all they worked for. Why can't WDI tell marketing where they can pt there stuff and let them do their magic.

See ya walkin' right down the middle of o'l Main Street USA

"THAT'S R
    IGHT CARNEGIE STEEL BUILT THIS PLACE"!!!!!

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by SparkChaser View Post
    ... I just wish WDI could stand up to marketing instead of letting them be in a sense bullied and robbed of all they worked for. Why can't WDI tell marketing where they can pt there stuff and let them do their magic.
    Ever since Eisner's promotion of Paul Pressler, all the top management of Disney Parks have been marketing, finance and strategic planning people. Current president Tom Staggs was Eisner's Chief Financial Officer for years, a heavy hitter in Strategic Planning before that, and an investment banker before that. To the Beancounter Boys' Club at the top of Disney's management pyramid, WDI is merely another division that exists to execute what, when and where the corporation commands. Imagineers who feel otherwise are shown the door -- as has happened countless times in the last two decades.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• I am number 4 of 999

I was almost sure when DCA reopened that the baseball window was going to change out for a football window in the Fall. That's what Mom & Pop convenience stores would do. I'm really disappointed that didn't happen. I'm disappointed that they didn't decorate for Fall at all on BVS, actually. Is it supposed to be eternally Spring on BVS? I know the temperatures don't change drastically in Los Angeles, but the seasons DO change! Oh, well...maybe next year!
    It's actually "Cars Land", not "Carsland".

• ~

Quote Originally Posted by ghosty4 View Post
    I was almost sure when DCA reopened that the baseball window was going to change out for a football window in the Fall. That's what Mom & Pop convenience stores would do. I'm really disappointed that didn't happen. I'm disappointed that they didn't decorate for Fall at all on BVS, actually. Is it supposed to be eternally Spring on BVS? I know the temperatures don't change drastically in Los Angeles, but the seasons DO change! Oh, well...maybe next year!
    But was football very popular in 1923 Hollywood? I thought that the popularity of football didn't grow until later in time. But I agree that seasonal touches on the street and in the windows if they were period-themed decorations, would add something really neat to the street.

• I am number 4 of 999

Quote Originally Posted by gatheringrosebuds View Post
    But was football very popular in 1923 Hollywood?
    Maybe it wasn't popular in Hollywood, but maybe it WAS popular with the owner of Loz Feliz Five & Dime. If I had to guess from the windows, I would say that the man that owns it is a sports fan and his wife is a fan of reading, and they each dressed their own display windows. The point is, except for Elias & Company, the shops and cafe on Buena Vista Street are owned and operated by individual people that live there. And I believe those people would decorate their businesses much like businesses continue to do to this day. Again, I'm giving them the benefit that Christmas will be spectacular, and that they will figure out a way to decorate for Halloween next year.
    It's actually "Cars Land", not "Carsland".

Quote Originally Posted by gatheringrosebuds View Post
    Bingo. The old window displays of Buena Vista Street told its story. That's why I visit Disneyland, that's why I was so ecstatic to visit the new BVS, to be immersed in the Los Angeles of 1923. The windows were actually one of the things I was most excited to see! But alas, no longer. I'm sure that the rest of the street is still just splendid, but the window displays all had such rich history and story that I wish they were still a part of the land.
    Have you seen the windows on Main Street recently? They're just as much merchandise displays as the windows in the pictures shown on the sites linked to in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by JCSkipr79 View Post
    Are you saying the guests are too stupid to know that there is not Disney merch. in the stores and instead are facades?
    I will refrain from comment at this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Boy View Post
    It's a case of a Merchandise department that is only interested in one thing.

They just want to show their generic crap all over every store no matter where it is. They have no respect for any other dept in the Resort.
    No comment here either.

But if anyone wants to know how I feel, send me an IM or use some other form of private communications.
    Last edited by Alyssa3467; 10-24-2012 at 07:41 AM.

• ~

Quote Originally Posted by Alyssa3467 View Post
    Have you seen the windows on Main Street recently? They're just as much merchandise displays as the windows in the pictures shown on the sites linked to in this thread.
    Yes, I have. Precisely one of the reasons why I was so excited to see the BVS windows before they were crammed with the same cluttered mess of cheap souvenirs that can be found in plenty of other shops in and outside of the park. It would have been refreshing to admire a period window display without having that generic merchandise shoved in my face while covering up the period props in the window. But I guess in these days, the thirst for profit will always trump thematic inegrity in the wonderful world of Disney.

Quote Originally Posted by ghosty4 View Post
    Maybe it wasn't popular in Hollywood, but maybe it WAS popular with the owner of Loz Feliz Five & Dime. If I had to guess from the windows, I would say that the man that owns it is a sports fan and his wife is a fan of reading, and they each dressed their own display windows. The point is, except for Elias & Company, the shops and cafe on Buena Vista Street are owned and operated by individual people that live there. And I believe those people would decorate their businesses much like businesses continue to do to this day. Again, I'm giving them the benefit that Christmas will be spectacular, and that they will figure out a way to decorate for Halloween next year.
    I love that idea! Sorry to be cynical earlier, but the first thing that popped into my mind when I read that comment was that baseball was much more popular than football during the time period of BVS. I didn't really connect the current window to the idea that the store's owner was a sports enthusiast. Thinking of it that way makes perfect sense and is a really charming idea.

Thanks for clearing that up. I thought you meant you were okay with Main Street's windows but not Buena Vista Street's.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by planodisney View Post
    You guys do know that Disney is allowed to make a return on their investments, dont you? I think some of you would prefer Disney go under than to compromise on your IMAGINARY Disney IDEALS. Wierd. If this is what they need to do to make BVS profitable and be able to have future cash for reinvestment, then go for it.
    This has been sitting with me all day. You're right, they are allowed to make a return on their investment... and they will. But...so do we. We invest hard earned money into ticket purchases, and food, and gifts, etc. And yes, we (as a mass audience) do encourage them to make some of these bone headed decisions with our purchases of crap. But we ALSO get to have an opinion about how we feel about the return we are getting.

I was watching one of the documentaries about the creation of the park the other day. So many people told Walt that to plant plants and flowerbeds, add all those silly details, the "theme" part of the parks was a waste of money. They told him that it offered no way to make money. He proved them wrong, because ultimately it was all those details that made the park different from everything that came before it.

It's not wrong for us to expect to get to still see that type of a return on OUR investment. That's the promise of Disneyland. You want rides without themes, stores without quality, an environment without the amazing details we've come to love and expect of Disney? Go to a county fair or a carnival. Go to Six Flags. But when we come here, to the park that Walt began, we are supposed to get something else.

That's what we expect for OUR investment.

• ~

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate Lover 68 View Post
    This has been sitting with me all day. You're right, they are allowed to make a return on their investment... and they will. But...so do we. We invest hard earned money into ticket purchases, and food, and gifts, etc. And yes, we (as a mass audience) do encourage them to make some of these bone headed decisions with our purchases of crap. But we ALSO get to have an opinion about how we feel about the return we are getting.

I was watching one of the documentaries about the creation of the park the other day. So many people told Walt that to plant plants and flowerbeds, add all those silly details, the "theme" part of the parks was a waste of money. They told him that it offered no way to make money. He proved them wrong, because ultimately it was all those details that made the park different from everything that came before it.

It's not wrong for us to expect to get to still see that type of a return on OUR investment. That's the promise of Disneyland. You want rides without themes, stores without quality, an environment without the amazing details we've come to love and expect of Disney? Go to a county fair or a carnival. Go to Six Flags. But when we come here, to the park that Walt began, we are supposed to get something else.

That's what we expect for OUR investment.
    Well said!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345