Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 26
  1. #1

    • șoș Tom șoș
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Carlsbad
    Posts
    3,600

    Pre-built 3rd Gate- Wild Animal Park

    Recently KoH posted a great article about the multimillion dollar facelift and makeover the San Diego Wild Animal Park is getting. It will be done by the same folks who built and developed the Animal Kingdom in Florida and it got me thinking- What if Disney co-financed the project and turned it into a 3rd gate.

    Obviously distance is prohibitive no monorail would connect the parks but a new rail line in North County San Diego is currently being built that could be extended to the park for a reasonable cost. You could stay at the Anaheim resort and hope a train from Anaheim to Oceanside where it would curve inland and take you to Disney's Wild Animal Park.

    Disney could clone attractions and rides from Florida and open a hotel, resort and spa out there. Not only that but it is awfully close to Indian tribes would love to have an increased traffic flow and would help make the deal happen. There is also a lot of agricultural land that could be developed into some amazing other parks - a nearly year round water park perhaps?

    It is just a thought, I mean Disney could buy Legoland, which is apparently for sale, but that just sounds like a financial blackhole, where as a partnernship with the most famous zoos in the world would give them an opportunity to market more package vacation deals and cut down competition so to speak.







  2. #2

    • Small Projects Team
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Burbank, CA
    Posts
    580

    Re: Pre-built 3rd Gate- Wild Animal Park

    I don't know about tourists, but I wouldn't want to take a 4 hour round trip train ride to go to a zoo when I could just stay at Disneyland another day. But then again, it might not cost Disney a lot to operate it so it might be worth it for them. I'd prefer it if they just brought the animals closer.


  3. #3

    • Now I'm driving the bus!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    102

    Talking Re: Pre-built 3rd Gate- Wild Animal Park

    Oh I don't know. Ever sat on the 5 south headed in the general direction on a weekend?

  4. #4

    • See you there!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    The Hub between Goofy and White Rabbit
    Posts
    5,498

    Re: Pre-built 3rd Gate- Wild Animal Park

    I like Disney as much as the next person, but, but I really do hope they stay as far away as possible from the San Diego Zoo and Wild Animal Park.

    Those two places are wonderful places show caseing the ainmals there and doing much good work to prevent the extenction of other species.

    If Disney go involved they would do to the San Diego Zoo and Wild Animal Park what they did with DAK. That place (IMHO) is in no way a place to shelter animals and show case them and work on prevention of extenction of sepcies. That place has been so dumbed down for the average theme park customer that, well, it breaks my heart everytime I see it. The Safari ride, instead of a tour to show the wonderful animals, has to have a dumb plotline and a bumpy, bumpy ride to satisfy theme park customers.

    No, zoos and theme parks are two seperate entities, and I really, I mean I really hope it remains that way.

    If someone wants a theme park down in San Diego, let them go to Sea World, or Legoland. But I really, I mean (again) I really hope the San Diego Zoological Society has the good sense to just say no to Disney.

    Just MHO, YMMV

    CU@DL

    Andy

  5. #5

    • I Hug My Tapirs
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Issaquah, WA
    Posts
    897

    Re: Pre-built 3rd Gate- Wild Animal Park

    Quote Originally Posted by CUatDL
    I like Disney as much as the next person, but, but I really do hope they stay as far away as possible from the San Diego Zoo and Wild Animal Park.

    Those two places are wonderful places show caseing the ainmals there and doing much good work to prevent the extenction of other species.

    If Disney go involved they would do to the San Diego Zoo and Wild Animal Park what they did with DAK. That place (IMHO) is in no way a place to shelter animals and show case them and work on prevention of extenction of sepcies. That place has been so dumbed down for the average theme park customer that, well, it breaks my heart everytime I see it. The Safari ride, instead of a tour to show the wonderful animals, has to have a dumb plotline and a bumpy, bumpy ride to satisfy theme park customers.

    No, zoos and theme parks are two seperate entities, and I really, I mean I really hope it remains that way.

    If someone wants a theme park down in San Diego, let them go to Sea World, or Legoland. But I really, I mean (again) I really hope the San Diego Zoological Society has the good sense to just say no to Disney.

    Just MHO, YMMV

    CU@DL

    Andy
    I wholeheartedly agree here. Coming from my own zoologist perspective, the WAP is beautiful in its own right as a breeding facility for endangered species. If Disney were to move in, the scientific achievements of the park would be overshadowed. The focus would be drawn away from the animals, away from the conservation successes, and most importantly, away from the message.

    Yes, I've seen what Disney has done with DAK - I was a WDW CM. I think they do a good job incorporating a conservation message. However, that message gets lost in the "Festival of the Lion King" and "Dinosaur" and "Expedition Everest" and such. If Disney were to take over the WAP, I'd fear the same thing would happen there.

    Let the zoo industry have its glory and prowess... and certainly don't let Disney get their hands on one of the most successful zoological parks in the world.
    "I don't need intelligent drugs because I don't know what they are. But I will put anything into my mouth that is given to me, whether it's supposed to go there or not. Because... I'm different."


  6. #6

    • șoș Tom șoș
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Carlsbad
    Posts
    3,600

    Re: Pre-built 3rd Gate- Wild Animal Park

    Quote Originally Posted by xfkirsten

    Let the zoo industry have its glory and prowess... and certainly don't let Disney get their hands on one of the most successful zoological parks in the world.
    I see all of your above mentioned points regarding the Wild Animal Park and the diffrence between Disney management and a zoological effort...HOWEVER, the reason I even suggest a merger of any kind is based on the forementioned article regarding the massive overhaul of WAP anyways by the same people who built DAK.

    From what I have read the new update will include rides and attractions to lure more guests into the WAP. The park has not been doing well at bringing in guests over the last few years and is in dire need of a facelift and higher attendence levels.

    I agree that the zoological efforts could be outshadowed by th blitz and glamor of Disney but if the WAP closes because there simply isn't enough guests to bring money in- the message and efforts of these people will be lost anyways.

    All I am saying is that if they are gonna add rides and attractions, might as well co-finance the darn thing through Disney so that the can borrow/clone better rides with chracters that people will recognize and give the park some further "star power" to bring in guests and positive cash flow.







  7. #7

    • See you there!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    The Hub between Goofy and White Rabbit
    Posts
    5,498

    Re: Pre-built 3rd Gate- Wild Animal Park

    Quote Originally Posted by ah schucks

    All I am saying is that if they are gonna add rides and attractions, might as well co-finance the darn thing through Disney so that the can borrow/clone better rides with chracters that people will recognize and give the park some further "star power" to bring in guests and positive cash flow.
    Maybe use some Disney ideas, but I hope they do not allow any Disney people inside the gate except to marvel at what the San Diego Zoological Society has done, then go home and maybe make DAK more in WAP's image. Also, I really hope that the San Diego Zoological Society Never, ever has to take any money from Disney! If they want some of Disney's ideas, well, OK, but not Disney as a sponser. After DAK I do not trust them to do right by WAP.

    If push comes to shove I'd rather give up my Disneyland AP's, my DVC membership and start contributing more to the San Diego Zoological Society just to see them thrive as they need to. I feel that strongly about the success of the San Diego Zoological Society. Each year I contribute as much as I can, and if it meant keeping Disney out of there I'd do more.

    Just MHO, YMMV

    CU@DL

    Andy

  8. #8

    • What have I done?
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Anaheim, OC
    Posts
    749

    Re: Pre-built 3rd Gate- Wild Animal Park

    So glad there are more people out there that agree with me on DAK, horrible place. Ok maybe not horrible but a really bad idea. In any case a partnership however with the San Diego Zoological Society, may not be such a bad idea as long as it doesnt become DAK so by all means we should have a 3rd gate.

    "This guy!"

  9. #9

    • Long Distance Imagineer
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Mesa, Arizona
    Posts
    418

    Re: Pre-built 3rd Gate- Wild Animal Park

    I'm feeling about another DAK like I do about another Disneyland. I posted this on another thread, but I'll repeat it here:

    Now that I am back from a brief hiatus, I had been thinking about DisneyWrassler's question: How would I make other Disney Parks?

    Let me start by giving a quote from Walt's bio written by Bob Thomas:

    "Walt's opposition to a second Disneyland weakened as his organization at WED matured in its skills. Walt saw the chance of doing something beyond duplication of a theme park." Pg. 332

    What I am thinking is, instead of doing more duplicate parks, to do something along the lines of what Walt was thinking.

    Shortly before his death, he was getting interested in building a ski resort at Mineral King. He was already in the preliminary stages for it, but the company abandoned the idea after Walt's death, and the rights to the property have gone back to the govmt.

    But what about something along this nature? Something that uses skiing, toboggans (sp?), sledding, horse drawn carriage rides around beautiful countryside?

    To me this would be a direction the Disney Co. could go. They already have cruises, why not other types of vacations that don't involve Mickey Mouse, or a bunch of princesses?

    Perhaps this is the direction the company could take with Disneyland Paris?

  10. #10

    • șoș Tom șoș
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Carlsbad
    Posts
    3,600

    Re: Pre-built 3rd Gate- Wild Animal Park

    Quote Originally Posted by CUatDL
    If push comes to shove I'd rather give up my Disneyland AP's, my DVC membership and start contributing more to the San Diego Zoological Society just to see them thrive as they need to. I feel that strongly about the success of the San Diego Zoological Society. Each year I contribute as much as I can, and if it meant keeping Disney out of there I'd do more.

    Just MHO, YMMV

    CU@DL

    Andy
    I wish more people were like you, already the Zoological society has mentioned taking out bonds to pay for the cost of the remodel hopefully attendence will justifiy the remodel and help increase the efforts of these people, such that it doesn't come to that...







  11. #11

    • See you there!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    The Hub between Goofy and White Rabbit
    Posts
    5,498

    Re: Pre-built 3rd Gate- Wild Animal Park

    Quote Originally Posted by PumpkinKing!
    So glad there are more people out there that agree with me on DAK, horrible place. Ok maybe not horrible but a really bad idea. In any case a partnership however with the San Diego Zoological Society, may not be such a bad idea as long as it doesnt become DAK so by all means we should have a 3rd gate.
    DAK is not really a horrible place, but they do appear, on the surface to preach conservation and talk about doing things to protect animals but then they have a park they call an "Animal Kingdom" and dumb it down just to get people in there. What did they do with the animals that were where they put the Expedition Everest? I remeber a nice enclosure there, but I guess the tourists just didn't get it. People don't go to Disney parks to see and appreciate animals and learn about animals and conservation, they go to be entertained Disney fashion.

    DAK is not a zoo! (IMHO) I believe a zoo is more concerned with education than just entertainment, that does not mean that learning should not be fun, but there should be education. DAK is more about entertainment. DAK is OK as a "Disney park", but not as an "Animal Kingdom".

    If anyone apprecites animals should visit the San Diego Zoo and Wild Animal Park to see how wondderfully animals can be shown and appreciated. (note to self, go to WAP again soon!) (note to self two, increase contribution to San Diego Zoological Society for next year)

    An example of DAK that I find bothersome for example: When DAK opens in the AM, while the weather is cool they hussle you into "It's Tough to Be a Bug", and indoor airconditoned attraction, then do not open the Tiger exhibit (the best enclosure in DAK, IMHO) until later after it's hot and all the tigers want to do is sleep. So while the tigers are active you can see a 3D bug movie, then when the tigers go to sleep you can go see them. Makes little sense to me.

    Oh, well, enough rants...

    CU@DL

    Andy

  12. #12

    • MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Tiki Juice Bar
    Posts
    5,238

    Re: Pre-built 3rd Gate- Wild Animal Park

    Walt put in fake animals in the Jungle Cruise for a reason...

  13. #13

    • See you there!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    The Hub between Goofy and White Rabbit
    Posts
    5,498

    Re: Pre-built 3rd Gate- Wild Animal Park

    Quote Originally Posted by ah schucks
    I wish more people were like you, already the Zoological society has mentioned taking out bonds to pay for the cost of the remodel hopefully attendence will justifiy the remodel and help increase the efforts of these people, such that it doesn't come to that...
    Where did you find this information? From the correspondence I've been receiving I had no idea the San Diego Zoological Socitey was in financial trouble. I usually try to contribute all I can when they ask. I really hope they do anything except ask Disney to participate. As I said, if it is that serious, I will try to up my donation for this next year. It would really, really break my heart if the Zoo and WAP had to be dumbed down just to remain effective at what they do. Everyone has their special things they like to donate to, for me it is the San Diego Zoological Society.

    The WAP and Zoo are very special places to me and my wife, and friends. Disneyland is entertaining, but a visit to the WAP or Zoo has a renewal effect for me, it humbles me and puts things in perspective for me, it reminds me of all the beautiful and diverse creatures on this earth. Maybe I need to go more often!

    Oh, well, guess that's enough on the soap box for now. Sorry, I now return you to your regularly scheduled Disneyland discussion.

    CU@DL

    Andy

  14. #14

    • I Hug My Tapirs
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Issaquah, WA
    Posts
    897

    Re: Pre-built 3rd Gate- Wild Animal Park

    Quote Originally Posted by ah schucks
    I see all of your above mentioned points regarding the Wild Animal Park and the diffrence between Disney management and a zoological effort...HOWEVER, the reason I even suggest a merger of any kind is based on the forementioned article regarding the massive overhaul of WAP anyways by the same people who built DAK.

    From what I have read the new update will include rides and attractions to lure more guests into the WAP. The park has not been doing well at bringing in guests over the last few years and is in dire need of a facelift and higher attendence levels.

    I agree that the zoological efforts could be outshadowed by th blitz and glamor of Disney but if the WAP closes because there simply isn't enough guests to bring money in- the message and efforts of these people will be lost anyways.

    All I am saying is that if they are gonna add rides and attractions, might as well co-finance the darn thing through Disney so that the can borrow/clone better rides with chracters that people will recognize and give the park some further "star power" to bring in guests and positive cash flow.
    I think CUatDL hit the nail on the head above. If they want to have a couple of rides to boost attendance, that's one thing. The problem lies in the over focus of the park. As noted above, the focus at DAK is not truly on the animals - it's the entertainment. I think if Disney were to have control over the WAP, that's what it would fall prey to. DAK purports to be a place to spread the message of conservation, but really I feel like that message is lost in the entertainment. There's Rafiki's Planet Watch that really tries to get that message across... but everywhere else in the park, it's nothing but an easily-overlooked footnote. Having the attendance to keep a park open does no good to sharing the message if said message is not properly passed on anyways!
    "I don't need intelligent drugs because I don't know what they are. But I will put anything into my mouth that is given to me, whether it's supposed to go there or not. Because... I'm different."


  15. #15

    • Senior Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    2,857

    Re: Pre-built 3rd Gate- Wild Animal Park

    just to make sure I'm thinking of the same animal park this's the place near the winding roads up to Ramona I think?


    anywho I don't think it's a good idea

    too far away not enough crossover and for the reasons everyone else posted

    the whole zoo thing works better on it's own and really they're both already the best at what they do


    now Disney getting Legoland might be interesting but transportation is too much of an issue they should concentrait on staying with the closerange buisness for now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [Pictures] Wild Animal Park -11/2/08(PIC HEAVY)
    By DisneyFan28 in forum Other Destinations
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-05-2008, 07:45 PM
  2. SD Wild Animal Park May 12, 2007
    By CUatDL in forum Other Destinations
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 05-20-2007, 10:10 AM
  3. SD Wild Animal Park
    By socaldisneygal in forum Other Destinations
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 05-12-2007, 07:49 PM
  4. San Diego Wild Animal Park
    By Ituri13 in forum Other Destinations
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-27-2006, 10:30 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •