Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: Disneyland "Safety" & other debaucheries

I agree with the two statements above. Disney could do a better job at theming. I don't think the changes that they've done with JC is out of theme though. Alice is pretty much out of theme, but I think there is a possibility that they will fix it in the future.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• Closed Account

What I wrote on another forum, in response to someone who said there is NO NEED for a conductor to step off a moving train:

As I mentioned, I have experience in a real railroad setting, running steam with four passenger coaches and a caboose. I assure you, I know precisely what I'm talking about when it comes to railroad safety. I also know the Disneyland Railroad pretty well, having written two books on the subject. The Conductor is IN CHARGE of the train, and needs to be able to assert that control. There are only two Conductors on a Disneyland train, with up to eight cars and nearly 300 passengers. They need to be able to step off a train car and step back on a different one any time they see a guest doing something stupid--which happens maybe more than you care to admit. This is not a dangerous thing to do when done correctly. They need the freedom to do their job--not be sequestered in some "booth" or chained to their safety positions as you suggest. The current safety positions are plenty safe--wide areas to stand on and ample hand rails. There hasn't been a single instance of injury in nearly 60 years with this system.

Simply put: If you want the Conductors to be 100% safe, just keep them off the trains. If a Conductor isn't riding a train, he can't get hurt by that train. What it sounds like Disney is doing is tying the Conductors' hands. Of course, with no on-board Conductors, that won't do much to protect the passengers...

Why would a conductor need to step off a train? Give me an example.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

Quote Originally Posted by Disneytwins View Post
    To assess an unsafe situation or to render assistance.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • ♠ Pirate Wizard ♠

Blog Entries

someone needs to photoshop all of disneyland covered in mattresses so when kids fall, they are safe.

As a current employ the parking thing wasn't that big a deal, it was the utter douchy way they chose to convey the message that pissed me off. And honestly it would have made way more sense to have the guest park at the honda center at a reduced rate or something than have us employs park offsite and have to give us meal vouchers and manifest a make shift drop off/pick up point when they have a guest drop off/pick up point in place all ready.

I think it's better for the employees to park at the Honda Center not the guests. This is coming from a customer service standpoint.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    Maybe there is no creativity left at Disney any more. They should be able to make things safer and preserve aesthetics. However if it was a choice between someone getting injured or making something look a little "less nice" I would choose safety every time.
    I agree that maybe the imagination isn't there and maybe thats why I am frustrated. Not because they are making things more safe, but because it takes away from what is there. I mean come on guard rails in Indiana Jones? If they don't do it right, its not going to look good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Disneytwins View Post
    Here is an example directly from the book, "All Aboard the Disneyland Railroad".

Page 163
    "Jason Edwards recounted an incident he witnessed that illustrates why it is so important for the conductors and crews to stay alert. As Jason's train emerged from the tunnel and approached Frontierland at a fairly fast clip, he noticed something strange on the tracks ahead. Jason looked but almost couldn't believe what he saw: a little girl lying on the station platform near the track, her eyes turned away from the approaching train, and her head resting on the rail! As the engineer slammed on the brakes and blasted the whistle, Jason managed to run ahead of the still-speeding train and swept the little girl off the track. The girls befuddled parents didn't the harm of allowing their daughter to put her ear on the rail in order to listen for the approaching train!"

I believe thats a perfect example of why they should stand on their platform and not be sequestered in some sort of booth. There are several other examples of conductors spotting trouble on and around the tracks. I will gladly post more excerpts if desired.
    Jack Sparrow - "You have been monstrously deceived." Pirate - We are decepted then..." Jack Sparrow - "Yes"

• -

Quote Originally Posted by Ruiner View Post
    And honestly it would have made way more sense to have the guest park at the honda center at a reduced rate or something than have us employs park offsite
    I'm sorry, but the biggest part of a Disneyland employee's job is customer service. If that means parking a little further away so the customer doesn't have to, then that's what has to be done. First and foremost it is always about the customer.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Insomniac

As of now, I applaud Disney's efforts (even if they detract from the experience a little). Safery is one of the reasons I love Disney so much. Except, with the current trend of safety, I have to wonder will they ever stop? Will the canoes go away? Will Indy be toned down? Will the Matterhorn close because it is too bumpy? I fear that it might be headed in that direction. Let's just hope that after this wave of safety refurbs, OSHA calms down and Disney gets back to normal.
    Check out my Disney inspired creations.

https://picasaweb.google.com/110319393135337100862

• Banned User

Safety is always required. I don't feel like safety is getting out of hand at all. They're making sure that everyone who is on property is as safe as they can be on property.
    Really? The only way people could be "as safe as they can be on property" would be to make all guests sit in an unbreakable plastic bubble, surrounded by armed guards. Wowee, what an exciting, thrilling theme park experience that would be!

Or better yet, tell everyone to stay home. They'll be safer there.

Safety fanaticism is a make work program for lawyers. They make their own work by litigating on behalf of idiots who find a way to hurt themselves, then have to find someone to blame -- someone with money, of course.
    Last edited by disneyfann121; 09-12-2012 at 10:46 PM.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by disneyfann121 View Post
    Safety fanaticism is a make work program for lawyers. They make their own work by litigating on behalf of idiots who find a way to hurt themselves, then have to find someone to blame -- someone with money, of course.
    No, not making things safer is a "make work program for lawyers". If an accident occurs and it can be shown that Disney knew of the danger, could have prevented it, and failed to do so then some attorney is going to have a field day with the case. I only hope that client walks through my door.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

Quote Originally Posted by Bronco21 View Post
    As of now, I applaud Disney's efforts (even if they detract from the experience a little). Safery is one of the reasons I love Disney so much. Except, with the current trend of safety, I have to wonder will they ever stop? Will the canoes go away? Will Indy be toned down? Will the Matterhorn close because it is too bumpy? I fear that it might be headed in that direction. Let's just hope that after this wave of safety refurbs, OSHA calms down and Disney gets back to normal.
    Hear hear!
    Jack Sparrow - "You have been monstrously deceived." Pirate - We are decepted then..." Jack Sparrow - "Yes"

• Closed Account

As far as the conductors go, putting them inside the trains in "booths" may make the trains less safe for both conductor and guest.

There are safe and accepted ways to get on or get off a moving train that have been in practice for over 100 years. And even if they did not need to egress from a moving train, the safety positions are certainly an acceptable place to stand. Real railroads require training and certification, and then recertification every couple years. I suspect it easier (cheaper?) just to sequester the conductor in a booth, than enforce a serious training regimen that would have to be quite rigorous. It's clear that the folks/committee who came up with this idea have no understanding of railroad practice and the importance of the conductors' function. Again, they're treating these people like ride operators, rather than as railroaders, as they should be.

At least two conductors, that I know of, have fallen off of the trains at DL. It is dangerous and possible deadly to fall from a moving train. One year ago a 17 year old Utah girl had both of her legs severed by a train after trying to hop on and fell under the train. The train was going between 7 and 18 mph.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast