Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Boat shoes all day long

2012 Disneyland Half Marathon Weekend (lot's-O-photos!)

As stated in the race thread, a well-deserved congratulations are being/have been extended to all the Mice Chatters who participated in the half marathon, 5k, and kids shuttle runs of the 2012 Disneyland Half Marathon Weekend! Time, money, sweat, occasional blood, tears, frustration – all emotions associated with this race…and yet, positive attitudes seem to have outweighed the opposite. No excuses, no regrets – the best way to follow up a performance of any nature.

Let’s talk about the races first:

While the “goody bag” has increased in cubic space, the contents have been reduced to a race shirt, safety pins, and one trial-size Cliff bar (not for resale). In previous years, this would have caused great disappointment to me, but the cleaner, greener BoygunaSurf appreciates the minimalism. While this race boasted the highest attendance, the packet pick-up was seamless and easy with very short lines. The expo was crowded, as can be expected when freebies are being handed out. I had to get in on one of the deals, playing the “Plinko” board with Geico, winning a Gecko Pez dispenser and running cap. Neither my wife nor myself purchased any of the RunDisney apparel this year, too cookie cutter in my opinion. A lot like those shirts in the parks where there are a series of characters twisting in odd contortions around the year (2012) only to be replaced next year with 2013 and so on. Walt would never wear one, why should I?

I saw a lot of KT tape this year. People were wearing this stuff in places where I could swear no benefit could be had; single strips on forearms, up calves, down quads, on necks…I mean, I am pretty sure it was designed for joint injuries, not for peacocking. But, I have been wrong before. Let’s just say the majority of tape was adorning the walkers. But I guess I’m not one to talk, my running shoes are made from solely recycled polyurethane and plants.

The 5K was fun! It was set off in waves, which cut down on the madness, but those of us who didn’t arrive three hours early, and who were in the second wave, and ran, caught the first group in about 45 seconds. What I don’t understand is, if you are going to walk, why push your way to the front? And, why walk right down the middle of the course? I know it is a fun run, but it’s still a run – showing up in Jean Shorts or khakis is an admission that you don’t plan on getting a workout. I just wish the emcee would make some safety announcements at the beginning of each race telling walkers to waddle on over to the sides to avoid bottle necks and create less of an obstacle.

We thundered through the parks looking for characters, but found not a one. There were some maintenance vehicles with Cars eye-shields, but that was about it. Do any of you pose for photos next to the mile marker signs? I have never understood this one. Finishing in Cars Land was pretty ballin’, but it would have been a nice treat to get a RSR Fastpass in addition to the finisher’s medal! Instead of the mountains of Builder Bars, Bagels, Bananas etcetera, little Run Disney breakfast boxes were distributed with a water and Powerade. I think this was better as it cut down on the waste and kept hoarders from filling their race bags with food for the family back home.

My wife ended up running a PR in the 5K (:23:30) after doing nothing but bootcamp/crossfit classes all summer (no running training) and it was a nice warm-up for the half. Like most of you, we had already spent 3 full days in the park prior to racing. While feet were sore, it didn’t seem to have an impact on leg muscles and we raced well.

As for the half, all I can say is what a difference more volunteers and onlookers can make! The decrease in swag and leaflets, and increase in manpower turned this race around in just one year’s time. As stated previous, the packet pick-up, chip test, and expo all ran poi-fectly! We had just ridden Splash Mountain and our waivers were soaked – on the verge of disintegration! But, the kind-hearted and graceful volunteers happily took them and did not require us wait in the re-print line!

I ended up in corral A, about 500 people behind the start line. I was seated 52nd place going into the run. I guess Sean Astin was there, but unlike Drew Carrey from last year, I was unable to locate him – probably due to his shorter stature. I love all the nervous stretching, water sipping, fuel belt adjusting, and flatulence that takes place in these corrals. I think this is the first year that I was just chilled out – calm as a cucumber.

The course was not much different in terms of meandering this year, but not to sound redundant, the volunteers and supporters made the difference. Specifically, the car clubs of Anaheim. Passing by, when I saw the most ripped of autos in each category, I would give the owner the “o.k.” hand sign and a smile. This helped take my mind off the race and hopefully made their many thousands spent seem worth it. Race wise, I was only passed once, by a guy on the last 200 meters. Otherwise, I would just spot a guy, reel them in, draft for about 10 seconds, and then make the pass; Just another thing to make the time go by faster.

So by the grace of triathlon training (I didn’t do any running training this season) I dropped four minutes off my previous best and came in at 1:26:07. That is a 6:34 pace, but should be a 6:25 pace had my first mile not been so slow. But who knows, maybe staying cool on mile 1 made the last three miles a lot more bearable. For those of you who are beginning to enjoy running, there is hope! I hated running back in 2007, but have since come to love it. My first Disneyland Half Marathon was the second one they offered, 2007, and then I did 2008, 2009, 2011, and now 2012. This race went from having about 8500 finishers to this year with a mind-boggling 14,924; Pretty good marketing on Disney’s part.

All in all, it was a wonderful weekend, Thursday and Friday light on the crowds, Saturday and Sunday a little heavier but nothing we couldn’t handle.

Enough jibber-jabber, on to the photos!

photo (19) by mmayer0107, on Flickr
    A couple moldy oldies here - race shirts from 2007, 2008, 2009, 2011, and 2012. What's weird is, the 2007 is long-sleeved!

TR41 by mmayer0107, on Flickr
    So we rolled up to the 5K about 45 minutes early and still didn't make the first group. The accouncer mentioned that people were lining up 3.5 hours early! No worries in our camp though, there was plenty to see...

TR43 by mmayer0107, on Flickr
    For instance, this dudes socks. Now, if I wore socks, this might be something I would be interested in. How about you?

TR44 by mmayer0107, on Flickr
    So wave one goes and RunDisney lady (black long-sleeve) corrals us up and slowly walks us to the start line.

TR45 by mmayer0107, on Flickr
    Mick and Min gave a couple of shout-outs and we were on our way - but slowly, because just around the bend we are about to encounter some very slow movers.

TR46 by mmayer0107, on Flickr
    Confets everywhere! Much better for the environment than balloons, but not as cool as those exploding things they make in China.

TR47 by mmayer0107, on Flickr
    A few backstage shots here - some grody pirate ride vehicles. Wanted to hop in one, but wasn't brave or fool enough.

TR48 by mmayer0107, on Flickr
    That old bird ruined the shot, but you get the idea...I guess all the plumbing kinda takes away from it too. Oh wells.

TR50 by mmayer0107, on Flickr
    Monica rolling through the kingdom of magic. Goofy ears flapping in the wind.

TR49 by mmayer0107, on Flickr
    I know the composition here is all wrong, but I liked the lighting and it's not easy shooting with a SLR while in motion.

TR51 by mmayer0107, on Flickr
    Now, father, you're living in the past. This is the 14th century!

TR53 by mmayer0107, on Flickr
    Monica and some random dudes crossing the moat.

TR54 by mmayer0107, on Flickr
    For those curious what characters were on the 5K course...this is the gist of it.

TR55 by mmayer0107, on Flickr
    Homies already walking and we aren't even out of the kingdom.

TR56 by mmayer0107, on Flickr
    This lady was pushing her daughter to try harder; all good things. Did you notice her Newtons? No, that's not innuendo - it is a company that has some pretty innovative shoe designs.

TR57 by mmayer0107, on Flickr
    The old ALWEG, cruising high above...

TR60 by mmayer0107, on Flickr
    A couple of grease monkeys giving us the go-ahead.

TR61 by mmayer0107, on Flickr
    These little guys are right on - they can be found all over the place backstage.

TR62 by mmayer0107, on Flickr
    You know, this one is cool because it is kind of like World of Color behind the scenes. Man I wish I could have stopped, steadied the camera, looked for a good angle, and got a desc shot. Another time, Smee.

TR63 by mmayer0107, on Flickr
    If I weren't going back to Disneyland next week, seeing this photo right now would probably bring some crocodile tears to this old fellow.

TR64 by mmayer0107, on Flickr
    Which one is the Crew Boss, do you think?

TR65 by mmayer0107, on Flickr
    Closing it out - finished in relaxed a 23:30.

TR3 by mmayer0107, on Flickr
    And now for the medals, or rubbers, or whatever you wish to call them.

TR2 by mmayer0107, on Flickr
    A few candids with some old friends...

TR4 by mmayer0107, on Flickr
    ...and some new ones.

TR5 by mmayer0107, on Flickr
    From one storyteller to another.

TR95 by mmayer0107, on Flickr
    With that, we will move on to a couple of photographs from the half marathon...

TR94 by mmayer0107, on Flickr
    I wanted to stick this on here real quick. Have y'alls been to the Mad Tea Party? I had my reservations. We were about to go on the bewitched hotel ride when we heard some pumping coming from the area where they used to have that RocketRod you could climb around on. We ended up making our way to the front of the stage and boogied and groved for the next two hours. This was the night before the race and I could swear the jiving helped ease some tension in my feet. Next year Mice Chatters, get your boogie shoes on.

---------- Post added 09-12-2012 at 11:08 PM ----------

*Part 2*

TR27 by mmayer0107, on Flickr
    Early morning and making the long, lonely walk of loneliness to the front. I am on the far right. Notice anything odd to the left side of my visor adjustment strap? That is a handy iPod Nano clipped to hat, minimal wires.

TR28 by mmayer0107, on Flickr
    Check out zombie guy in the green! Some of you may make comedy of my snug shorts, but I can tell you, the difference these have made has been huge. When you sweat, they get rid of it. They hold no moisture, so they stay as lightweight as they were when you put them on. No chafing, no nothin! I also mentioned earlier that my shoes were made from plants. Those are the orange, gray, and white ones as seen in some photos - but these are the Saucony Kinvara 3's. Best. Shoe. Ever. (especially if you are under 155 lb. as it has very little support

TR29 by mmayer0107, on Flickr
    Here's the finish...on the jumbro tron I am the dude on the far left. I ended up shooting by the guy next to me, but didn't catch red shirt guy.

TR30 by mmayer0107, on Flickr
    I included this photo Monica took about 20 seconds after I came through showing the first place woman, Cindy Lynch (running skirt). She is a big stud and a smart business woman. Good conversations took place.

TR31 by mmayer0107, on Flickr
    There he is, happy to be done and ready for some rides!

TR32 by mmayer0107, on Flickr
    Got back to the room and saw these two characters holding down the fort. The AC was on and one of the movie channels was playing Steve Martin's classic, The Jerk. Paradise.

TR101 by mmayer0107, on Flickr
    Done and done.

**The rest of the photos are just us hanging about**

TR1 by mmayer0107, on Flickr
    McQueen and Sally parked beneath the tree / K-I-S-somethin'-somethin'-somethin'-T.

TR6 by mmayer0107, on Flickr
    The street car was right on. Comfortable benches, newsie-looking fellows strewn about, and grade-a service to our hotel...

TR7 by mmayer0107, on Flickr
    I am not one to complain, but I had to approach the bench at City Hall this year to report M.Mouse falling asleep on the job. The passengers onboard and guests milling around could have been severely injured, maybe even squished!

TR8 by mmayer0107, on Flickr
    If you remember past Boygunsurf TR's, you know I love this dog. This was the first year that he told me to back the heck up

TR9 by mmayer0107, on Flickr
    But alas, he chilled out and let us scratch his ears.

TR10 by mmayer0107, on Flickr
    I just informed Mike that he was named after former CEO and goober, Michael Eisner.

TR11 by mmayer0107, on Flickr
    This is where we stayed. It was nice to be so close to the parks and avoid all the trams, but the place was really dusty and something seemed off.

TR12 by mmayer0107, on Flickr
    Flick thought it was tough to be a bug before, now that Cars Land is open, it would only be by accident that someone saw his 3-D show

TR13 by mmayer0107, on Flickr
    And now, the moment you have all been waiting for...

...will have to take a little longer.

---------- Post added 09-12-2012 at 11:57 PM ----------

Aaaaaand, we're back!

TR102 by mmayer0107, on Flickr
    Cars Land was quite splended indeed. Please make time to head on over to the Blue Sky Cellar and take a moment for reflection. Lasseter proved that he is Mr. Pudding with this one. Not bad, sir. That little dude photo-bombed us, no big deal though.

TR100 by mmayer0107, on Flickr
    Don't hate the player, hate Instagram

TR14 by mmayer0107, on Flickr
    Straight Loungin'

TR15 by mmayer0107, on Flickr
    Now when I see other cars near to the one I will be getting in, all I think is, competition.

DCIM\100GOPRO by mmayer0107, on Flickr
    Monica looking like she was fast asleep while we approached what I can only assume is an ode to the Bixby Trestle near Big Sur.

Man, no goofy caption here. This ride is right on.

Get ready for the race of your life!

Whatever they are paying those Imagineers, it's not enough.

TR40 by mmayer0107, on Flickr
    Radiator Springs nightlife.

TR37 by mmayer0107, on Flickr
    Balancin' Rock Canyon!

TR38 by mmayer0107, on Flickr
    Sorry, I mentioned that some of these photos weren't very good, I was just too excited!

TR39 by mmayer0107, on Flickr
    One more

TR36 by mmayer0107, on Flickr
    Something like this would be right at home here in liberal Santa Cruz

TR35 by mmayer0107, on Flickr
    I'm in this little town called Radiator Springs. You know Route 66? It's still here!

TR16 by mmayer0107, on Flickr
    Taking Matey Mates for a walk.

Monica talking Tom's with some friends. What I liked here was, you could bounce out of Cars Land and grab a snack without having to duck and dive through all the crowds on the main drag.

A fun tractor pull.

You won't see any pictures from that floating/dragging tire ride. Sad story there - were they designed for bigger people? Why don't they float like the old saucers used to?

TR17 by mmayer0107, on Flickr
    Seriously, pick your &$#% up.

...just a few more randoms to go - stay tuned, and thank you for your interest!

---------- Post added 09-12-2012 at 11:57 PM ----------

Aaaaaand, we're back!

TR102 by mmayer0107, on Flickr
    Cars Land was quite splended indeed. Please make time to head on over to the Blue Sky Cellar and take a moment for reflection. Lasseter proved that he is Mr. Pudding with this one. Not bad, sir. That little dude photo-bombed us, no big deal though.

TR100 by mmayer0107, on Flickr
    Don't hate the player, hate Instagram

TR14 by mmayer0107, on Flickr
    Straight Loungin'

TR15 by mmayer0107, on Flickr
    Now when I see other cars near to the one I will be getting in, all I think is, competition.

Monica looking like she was fast asleep while we approached what I can only assume is an ode to the Bixby Trestle near Big Sur.

Man, no goofy caption here. This ride is right on.

Get ready for the race of your life!

Whatever they are paying those Imagineers, it's not enough.

TR40 by mmayer0107, on Flickr
    Radiator Springs nightlife.

TR37 by mmayer0107, on Flickr
    Balancin' Rock Canyon!

TR38 by mmayer0107, on Flickr
    Sorry, I mentioned that some of these photos weren't very good, I was just too excited!

TR39 by mmayer0107, on Flickr
    One more

TR36 by mmayer0107, on Flickr
    Something like this would be right at home here in liberal Santa Cruz

TR35 by mmayer0107, on Flickr
    I'm in this little town called Radiator Springs. You know Route 66? It's still here!

TR16 by mmayer0107, on Flickr
    Taking Matey Mates for a walk.

Monica talking Tom's with some friends. What I liked here was, you could bounce out of Cars Land and grab a snack without having to duck and dive through all the crowds on the main drag.

A fun tractor pull.

You won't see any pictures from that floating/dragging tire ride. Sad story there - were they designed for bigger people? Why don't they float like the old saucers used to?

TR17 by mmayer0107, on Flickr
    Seriously, pick your &$#% up.

...just a few more randoms to go - stay tuned, and thank you for your interest!
    Last edited by BoygunaSurf; 09-12-2012 at 10:27 PM.
    "Let's get weird" -Abraham Lincoln

Re: 2012 Disneyland Half Marathon Weekend (lot's-O-photos!)

*Finale*

TR21 by mmayer0107, on Flickr
    Riding through the diamond mines can be titillating and scary, at the same time. We were stoked!

TR20 by mmayer0107, on Flickr
    Nobody likes a peeping-tom, but hey, she was pretty good looking prior to the transformation, right? Right, guys?

TR18 by mmayer0107, on Flickr
    And in we go...

TR19 by mmayer0107, on Flickr
    ...or so we thought. The ride shut down due to some playful spooks, or dwarves, or crows, or sinister trees, or what have you.

TR96 by mmayer0107, on Flickr
    So a reluctant cast member allowed this after we offered her a sip of Vita Coco.

TR22 by mmayer0107, on Flickr
    Come, I'll show you the world!

TR23 by mmayer0107, on Flickr
    Or...just sit on this lily pad.

TR25 by mmayer0107, on Flickr
    Everybody likes a side view.

TR33 by mmayer0107, on Flickr
    American Pickers got one of these for a hundred bucks - I need to road trip to the south!

Zippity, Zoppity, keepin' in floppity.

Things is about to get crazy...

TR99 by mmayer0107, on Flickr
    Time to be turnin' around

TR84 by mmayer0107, on Flickr
    If only you could!

TR85 by mmayer0107, on Flickr
    I don't recommend this. After latching my little mitts onto this goats goat, his ears went flat and he froze. Busted, I thought. But no, he just stamped a little bit and followed that up with a poop.

TR86 by mmayer0107, on Flickr
    This was a super dope lamb that was posted up in the back of the petting zoo. Ultra long line to pet this guy - well worth it.

Had a great, but nervous skipper. Have y'all ever got backed up near Trader Sam? This new guy panicked and started spitting out lines I had never heard before. Good with improve.

You wouldn't believe what Minnie said to me if I told you. Reaction says it all.

TR88 by mmayer0107, on Flickr
    The exits are here, here, here, here, here, here, everywhere!

TR87 by mmayer0107, on Flickr
    She finally offered to do the wave riders hello - thanks Mins!

TR83 by mmayer0107, on Flickr
    Un more with the misses...I wonder if Mickey would be bugged if he knew how many photos we have with his old lady?

Pinocchio is crazy short.

Waiting for a train...story of my life.

Not sure if you can tell by the photo, but this Engineer was totally doing a gangster lean when she pulled on up to the spot (the spot being the Toon Town train depot).

This ride is still fun.

A very ornate part of the park.

TR82 by mmayer0107, on Flickr
    Hi all.

TR90 by mmayer0107, on Flickr
    Pardon the pose, we were tired.

TR91 by mmayer0107, on Flickr
    This dude kept the conversation light by talking about his church's softball team...boring.

TR92 by mmayer0107, on Flickr
    Hitchhiking ghosts.

TR93 by mmayer0107, on Flickr
    Okay, here we go. Focus. Speed. I am speed. One winner, forty-two losers. I eat losers for breakfast. Breakfast? Maybe I should have had breakfast? Brekkie could be good for me. No, no, no, focus. Speed. Faster than fast, quicker than quick. I am Lightning.

TR98 by mmayer0107, on Flickr
    Sorry for another Instagram - I have a loyal following and needed to make sure I was hooking it up.

Alright homies, that's all I have at the moment. I may throw a couple more up here over the next few days - my GoPro is acting up. Thank you for the viewing and come next week I should have a much more legit lens as well as some time to take advantage of it. 14-24mm see you next week!

WOW! Awesome trip report! Glad to hear you participated in the marathon! Really great pictures too. What camera do you use?
    Jack Sparrow - "You have been monstrously deceived." Pirate - We are decepted then..." Jack Sparrow - "Yes"

Thanks D3COY!

I used a Nikon D3100, iPhone 4, and a GoPro HD Hero. I didn't get very many good photos this time around - the goal was to get on RSR as much as possible so cameras were moved to the back burner.

But, I will be at the pizzarks next mon-wed and hope to get some descent-er shots then.

• Future Imagineer!!

Woohoo awesome Trip Report! I'm getting super amped up for my trip next week I have always wanted to do one of the half marathons and considered doing this one until I tore the tendon under my knee. But now for building it back up so I can do one of the upcoming half marathons!

Keeper of the Dynamite Goat on RCMC

• Circle of Ancients

Great pictures!! Congrats on the PR!!!

I actually had my slowest time in the 1/2 this year due to stopping to take pictures. Took over an hour for the first 5k. LOL!!

Hoping to make up for it during my 1/2 on Saturday.

•   
    • Kerplookee

Great photos, thanks for sharing. Slow down next time and enjoy the course.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpee View Post
    I only care for Disney bling!

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Dude you got wheels! Amazing report and even a more amazing finish time. Bravo!!

Thanks, friends!

Name:  photo (20).jpg
Views: 932
Size:  224.9 KB
    There's a little matter I forgot to mention...on Radiator Springs Racers I was careless enough to let my favorite Channel Islands Surfboards hat go flying off my head when we took off for the racing portion. I didn't have a chance to pick it up while I was there and was wondering if I would ever see it again. Alas, about 3 days after getting home this little guy showed up in the post. Hat in hand, as they say!

I ended up being so stoked it was back I took the old log out for some float...

Name:  5.11 b.jpg
Views: 926
Size:  85.6 KB
    Name:  5.11 d.jpg
Views: 922
Size:  59.6 KB

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Cool picture of Dick Vitale surfing!

Disney lost and found is darn classy. I know elsewhere where people found things I left, I had to give them a credit card to pay for shipping it back.

•   

Clinks, you should ask Disney lost and found for that hour you lost in the half.

Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    Cool picture of Dick Vitale surfing!

Disney lost and found is darn classy. I know elsewhere where people found things I left, I had to give them a credit card to pay for shipping it back.
    Disney really is a class act.

Haa, if I only I were as handsome as Mr. Vitale. I bet that guy could rip though - but maybe just on a paddle board.

•   
    • Kerplookee

Disney's L&F is amazing. My camera jumped from my bag while in the park. Back at the hotel I called and, after answering a few questions on the last photos taken, was able to pick it up near the entrance.

Clinks....why did you crawl the first 5K? Where is your TR?

•   

I don't know what it's like to train for a marathon, I just run them, but if I did train, I don't think I'd stop to take pictures.

•   
    • Kerplookee

Quote Originally Posted by cal4iri View Post
    I don't know what it's like to train for a marathon, I just run them, but if I did train, I don't think I'd stop to take pictures.
    It's impossible to run a HM without training

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast