Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Hello Dolly.

Re: A Serious Jungle Cruise

My last ride in August was just hilarious. & the time before that. Some skips just seem sound like they are reading lines, but the last two I had were just really into it and I loved it.

A serious jungle cruise sounds fun as well but it can be rather boring at times unless the made some modifications. The comedy with the ride itself always makes me want to re-ride though.

I remember my skipper's last quote as we were exiting the boat was, "When I was a young boy, my father looked down on me with his big brown eyes and pouty lips and said 'Boy, you're a good kid & a hard worker, but it's time for you to get out of here. So get out!" The way he said it was just hilarious.

• "I Break Things"

I forgot to mention that the original spiel (for the scenes that still remain) is in the script. It's commonly referred to as National Geographic (for obvious reasons). It's very dry, completely fact based, the serious trip you are referring to. I don't know who would be able to deliver it these days, but it is there. In the past it was used on Managers that tried to do a spiel check, rowdy crews that wanted to heckle the Skip, and bored Skips looking for something different. I'd usually dig it up when a boat broke and I knew we'd be there for a while.

A breakdown is when you really get to see if you have a decent Skip. Because now instead of being stuck with them for 7 minutes, you're there until it's fixed or until they find a way to get you out. Some Skips go silent. Some try to do jokes and run out. I preferred just talking to the crew. I know a lot about Jungle and I'd use that when appropriate. One compliment I have that means a lot to me was from a woman who loved my "breakdown spiel". She said she learned more from that than she did from Walk in Walt's tour. That still makes me laugh.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• former CM

I propose this every couple of months (sorry Techskip--you've seen this):

Every year or every other year. . .

. . . Jungle Cruise Contests Held at Disneyland and at WDW

Two or three finalists compete at night where one boat full of guests stays in the boat while captains are rotated. The winning captain receives a customized Stetson Jungle Cruise hat/crown and a champion nametag, and her or his black 'n' white photo is added to a framed collection of winning captains that will fit the small photos and winning captains' names for the next 100 years.

The winner and second place will fly to WDW (WDW's top two will fly to Anaheim) via coach ticket and stay in a Disney moderate hotel (own rooms) for five days and work on the other coast's cruise for three hours a day, partly to fertilize the minds of some of the guides on America's other Jungle Cruise.
    (Fertilizer metaphor was carefully chosen.)

• formerly very helpful

I wouldn't want to see a serious Jungle Cruise, but I'd be all for a serious new ride in the same vein as the Jungle Cruise. A different adventure through an exotic locale. Maybe a tour of an alien planet in Tomorrowland or something.

Yes! You're in the minority here - a good Skipper makes ALL of the difference between a stupid and uninspiring ride and a really funny adventure.....

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by jcruise86 View Post
    I propose this every couple of months (sorry Techskip--you've seen this):

Every year or every other year. . .

. . . Jungle Cruise Contests Held at Disneyland and at WDW

Two or three finalists compete at night where one boat full of guests stays in the boat while captains are rotated. The winning captain receives a customized Stetson Jungle Cruise hat/crown and a champion nametag, and her or his black 'n' white photo is added to a framed collection of winning captains that will fit the small photos and winning captains' names for the next 100 years.

The winner and second place will fly to WDW (WDW's top two will fly to Anaheim) via coach ticket and stay in a Disney moderate hotel (own rooms) for five days and work on the other coast's cruise for three hours a day, partly to fertilize the minds of some of the guides on America's other Jungle Cruise.
    (Fertilizer metaphor was carefully chosen.)
    I'm laughing because we always got the WDW kids in trouble.

Now I'm guessing that contest wouldn't be open to former Skips. One of the drawbacks to the "mix in" holiday parties is that they don't have "Guest Skippers" like they used to. As much as some of us LOVE Jungle, life moves on. Those that stay with Disney and move up the ranks can't stay on the boats. The CM Holiday Party was their chance to "come home". Some of my best memories are of Guest Skippers, men and women I'd known for years, having that night to be a Jungle Skip again. Because it was a private party it was also a chance for CM's, as Guests, to sometimes try their hand at the spiel... I really miss that aspect of the holiday party.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

Quote Originally Posted by disneylandreport View Post
    I for one would not want a serious Jungle Cruise. I wouldn't mind more changes in the script though. On a side note, I heard the following over the PA while walking past the Jungle Cruise the other day:

PA: Attention guests. Due to events beyond our control, The Jungle Cruise will unfortunately be fully operational and open for the rest of the day. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Funniest thing I heard that day
    THAT......... is seriously funny...........

• Nic

I know they don't have room for this, but I think two tracks of the Jungle Cruise, one for humor, one for seriousness, would be good. Serious could have the temple scene, animals more sequestered in the jungle, and in their natural habitat (like on Day 1), while humor could keep it the way it is now.
    Fear of the unknown.

They are afraid of new ideas.

They are loaded with prejudices, not based upon any reality, but based on… if something is new, I reject it immediately because it’s frightening to me. What they do instead is just stay with the familiar.
    You know, to me, the most beautiful things in all the universe, are the most mysterious.

Yeah, I've heard all the jokes. Or at least a lot of them. I laugh just about every time, so long as the skip is halfway decent. I do find it sad that people don't seem to be paying attention lately, and nobody laughs. At all. I cheer loudly at the backside of water. I love the corniness of it. Every time.

I'm glad there are additional options for skips and I do wish they'd branch out a little.

Maybe one line could have serious skippers and the other could have silly ones. They would have to change how they load the boats, since currently both lines feed into the same boat, but I bet they could work it out. See which is more popular.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• Selfie Expert

I feel that I hear at least a couple new jokes every ride on JC, and of course the repeated ones. Our last ride we had a skipper, I think named Johnny, who was the best we've had in a long time. We got stuck on the boat for about 5 minutes because they were moving other boats around at the docking area. He had time to kill, and he filled it with improvised jokes and interactions with guests. It was fantastic!! The boat behind us had a skipper that just awkwardly stayed at us... I was grateful for our skipper!

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    I would just settle for the skippers being given more leeway with their spiel so we don't have to hear the same one over and over again. How many times do you need to be shown the backside of water?
    You're forgetting we're the hardcores. Backside of water joke is a classic and I wouldn't want a first time rider to not hear it just because we've heard it a thousand times.

• Minion

The only thing better than the backside of water is seeing the Wonderful World of Color in Disneyland.

• I'm a Lutheran

"Y'all come back now, ya hear?"

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    This subject comes up from time to time. It's difficult to explain the complexities of a spiel, and the difficulties of a "live show/audience". But I'll do what I can to break this down. To start with Jungle Cruise Skips are not paid to be funny. You could have a dead pan cruise, no jokes, no laughter, and as long as the Skip didn't go off script they wouldn't be in trouble. Being funny is an expectation placed on Jungle by the public. You can go back and forth as to if this expectation if fair or not, but it is an expectation set by the public not a job description mandated by Disney. What Disney is concerned with is the script. More specifically they want Skips to adhere to the script. If a Guest complains and cites specific jokes that they did not like, Disney will compare those jokes to the script. If the Skip is off script then he/she will be in trouble for that. To answer the obvious question... yes... I've had friends get busted by a Guest COMPLIMENT because the individual giving the compliment cited a non-approved joke. Compliments and Concerns are weighted differently. That's why I'm not as quick to complain as I am to compliment. I don't hand out either one easily, but it takes a lot for me to spend time at City Hall and complain.

The reason Jungle has a script is to protect the Skips. If what a Skip said was in the script, then it was approved by the employer, and the employer, not the Skip, would be responsible for it. The script is constantly being re-evaluated. If jokes are added or removed then the Jungle is notified of this.

Being in front of an audience isn't easy, and it isn't for everyone. The Jungle itself always had a way of either appealing to CM's, or scaring them. There honestly wasn't a "middle ground" at Jungle. Everyone has a different sense of humor. Every boat has a different PA system. Every trip has a different crew. You could have several horrible boats, and suddenly have a very fun lively one. It's pretty random.

There's the male Skip vs female Skip debate. For most of Jungle's history it was a boys' club, and there are still individuals in the public who feel a female Skip isn't funny. I know plenty of female Skips who have proven otherwise. They have openly said how being a female has been even more difficult on Jungle, and even more rewarding.

There's the day vs night debate. I would argue that people are more open to being entertained at night. The temperature is cooler, you're tired so it's more relaxing, the expectation is lowered because there isn't much of a wait, and the Skip has the added benefit of the lights. Others would argue that night is worse because the crew is usually a lot newer.

When I said "lack of using said options", every scene has multiple jokes. During the training period a Skip works with their Trainer to select their jokes. They learn those jokes. They take them apart, re-word them, practice and polish it so they know it works. A Trainer will usually encourage the new Skip to use that joke for the first month or so, then slowly start adding to it. Every day pick 1 joke in the spiel, use it every trip, figure out how to make it work. Usually within a few month a Skip will at least know most of the jokes. He/she may not use every joke, might go a month or more without using some, but knows how to deliver it should the desire arise. From what I have seen, and what I have been told, not very many are expanding. Most are sticking to the spiel they were trained on, which is why a lot of boats sound almost identical. A solution would be for the Trainers to each teach a different spiel. I've mentioned it before. I don't know if they will ever implement that or not.
    Or kind of boring them from what I hear.

I have quite a few friends who worked it and really did not like it. This was back when it was a male attraction though and because attractions in Adventure/Frontierland were already limited for women, guys spent a good amount of time on the attraction.

I was working Tomorrowland attractions at the time and would come across B status CMs who would come over to Space or Autopia and lament all the time they had just spent on Jungle. Or would get bummed to hear they were going back.

That being said, there was repetition in every attraction and it's what you did with it that counted.

I think I've heard somewhere that the Jungle Cruise will soon be updated because a movie of the same name is due out in 2013. If I remember correctly, I read they'll be adding animatronic figures that will be more interactive, i.e. rush towards the boat. That would be fun!

I like the current Jungle Cruise, but would love it if another attraction opened up that is a boat ride. I love boat rides!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast