Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Lightbulb Re: A Serious Jungle Cruise

Quote Originally Posted by MrNick View Post
    One thing I've never really liked is the use of humor on the ride. I could be in the minority here, but I would much rather ride a serious Jungle Cruise.

I feel that the immersion on the ride would be 10x better if it wasn't making fun of itself the whole time. Maybe it was a novel idea when Disney first added wise-cracking skippers, but I believe its kind of run its course.

I think the Imagineers have potential to create a serious, romantic, atmospheric, thrilling, dark journey through the Congo, without all the fluff.

What do all you think? Maybe it's just me...
    I agree with you for many of these same reasons. The Jungle Cruise scenery - the rivers, jungles, ruins, etc. - are a really magnificent escapist environment, wherein with very little imagination you are indeed transported to the Nile, the Amazon, the Mekong, the Congo. To me the constant skipper slapstick and guest laughter and applause just wreck this atmosphere.

Actually the way that the Cruise is configured, it would be easy to accommodate both comedians and dreamers. After a given number of comedy boats, insert a "National Geographic" one, and/or possibly also a "silent" one. Split the queue into these two or three lines, and adjust the mix of boats depending upon queue popularity. There is enough distance between boats so that the noise of a comedy boat wouldn't disturb a NG/silent boat; at the Falls the noise of the water overwhelms any two passing boats.

Methinks that a completely silent boat option would be particularly exotic at dusk and after dark.

Indeed there are all sorts of ways to vary the JC experience. For instance, we are all familiar with "murder mystery" dinners, boat/train excursions, and the like, wherein a few period-costumed actors stage a "murder" for the audience to solve. While a "murder" is probably not appropriate to Disneyland, some other mock-challenges could be presented - for example the last-minute "stealing of a boat for a getaway" with hapless Guests trapped on board, followed by "the law" in the next boat. [Distant echoes of Disney's The Great Locomotive Chase.]

With the addition of a few exotic lights and sounds in the jungle, you could have a boat skippered by Mulder & Scully types, telling passengers they're looking for a reported UFO landing and asking for everyone to be alert accordingly.

If Disney can license Indiana Jones & Star Wars from LucasFilm, they can probably get Universal to allow the Creature from the Black Lagoon to clamber stealthily onto the rear of a boat at night, lumber past terrified Guests to the [beautiful damsel] skipper and carry her screaming over the side, leaving the Guests alone to worry about getting the boat back to civilization. [An "undercover Guest" CM would "figure out" how to operate the boat.]

The famous jungle cruise along the Nung from Apocalypse Now also comes to mind, but I can't think of any part of that which wouldn't be too hairy for Disneyland.

Speaking of Indy, I rather like the idea of adding a "cave tunnel" segment to the Cruise route to take it through a bit of the Temple of Mara. Imagine a troop carrier careening towards a suddenly-appearing Cruise boat, near-missing it at the last moment.
    ______
    Rachane

• Embrace the kitsch!

Re: A Serious Jungle Cruise

Quote Originally Posted by Rachane View Post
    Indeed there are all sorts of ways to vary the JC experience. For instance, we are all familiar with "murder mystery" dinners, boat/train excursions, and the like, wherein a few period-costumed actors stage a "murder" for the audience to solve. While a "murder" is probably not appropriate to Disneyland, some other mock-challenges could be presented - for example the last-minute "stealing of a boat for a getaway" with hapless Guests trapped on board, followed by "the law" in the next boat. [Distant echoes of Disney's The Great Locomotive Chase.]

Something like this was tried in the summer of 1997 under Bruce Kimbrell. The skips were all told to create characters and deliver the spiels in character. It didn't last long. Good ol' DL politics at work.

Speaking of Indy, I rather like the idea of adding a "cave tunnel" segment to the Cruise route to take it through a bit of the Temple of Mara. Imagine a troop carrier careening towards a suddenly-appearing Cruise boat, near-missing it at the last moment.

There is a piece of concept art showing a Jungle boat going through the temple, so this was considered at one time.
    Disneyland Historic Preservation Society
    Charter Member

•   
    • Minion

I could envision an evening Jungle Cruise with atmospheric lighting, really fitting music and no narration.

Other than that...I honestly really like the silly spiels and corny jokes. Could the script be updated? Sure. Would a "serious" Jungle Cruise where the skips lecture about the animals work? I don't know. Most people who would be truly interested in learning about the animals/etc. could do so outside of Disney.

• Dead men tell no tales.

It all depends on who you get as a skipper. All skippers are 'okay' funny and say the jokes you'd expect to hear from a usual Jungle Cruise. But there are a few CM who really know how to add their own material to the attraction. If anything, they should have tougher try outs to be a Jungle Cruise skipper so the ride can be funnier.

• Banned User

TechSkip, that was probably the best and simplest writeup I've ever seen. Thanks. Now I get how it works, especially the part about how "funny" is a guest expectation and not a DL script requirement. I guess delivery is everything. Every skip deserves a respectful nod for even taking up the responsibility to be a CM on that attraction. Weird Al should write a song about them or something.

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by CASurfer65 View Post
    Or kind of boring them from what I hear.

I have quite a few friends who worked it and really did not like it. This was back when it was a male attraction though and because attractions in Adventure/Frontierland were already limited for women, guys spent a good amount of time on the attraction.

I was working Tomorrowland attractions at the time and would come across B status CMs who would come over to Space or Autopia and lament all the time they had just spent on Jungle. Or would get bummed to hear they were going back.

That being said, there was repetition in every attraction and it's what you did with it that counted.
    Jungle had the most 8hr and 6hr shifts of any attraction on that side. Depending on which year you're referring to it was a hole for either lower ranking B's, higher ranking B's, or lower ranking A's. People would get "stuck" there for months on end simply because Disney was required by contract to give them "x" hours a week. Some tolerated it. Some liked it. Some did everything possible to either shift change or ER. Everyone cracks at some point, it's just a matter of time. My best was 6 months of just Jungle.

The funny thing about boredom is that it forces a Skip to find entertainment. A bored Skip is a comedy in the making. Be it a prank, a joke, or simply a funny situation involving props. The whole "learn a new joke" challenge was implemented in part to keep Skips from getting bored.

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway Guru View Post

Something like this was tried in the summer of 1997 under Bruce Kimbrell. The skips were all told to create characters and deliver the spiels in character. It didn't last long. Good ol' DL politics at work.
    Not the entire story there... it didn't help that someone strapped a paper mache bomb to their chest and pretended to hold a boat hostage.

As to the characters, those were authorized by Disney and given to Skips in a package called the Survival Guide. The entire boathouse was given a backstory, complete with characters. I want to say it started in 95, not 97... Nararrations. The other problem was that they didn't have enough Nararrations CM's so they supplimented the numbers with older CM's, some of which despised the program.

Quote Originally Posted by fifthrider View Post
    TechSkip, that was probably the best and simplest writeup I've ever seen. Thanks. Now I get how it works, especially the part about how "funny" is a guest expectation and not a DL script requirement. I guess delivery is everything. Every skip deserves a respectful nod for even taking up the responsibility to be a CM on that attraction. Weird Al should write a song about them or something.
    Thank you, I think, can't tell if it was all sarcasm or if only the last part was. I "like" a funny boat. I "prefer" a funny Skip. But I realize Disney casting doesn't really care who they put in the spotlight. It isn't an entertainment role. There is no "audition" to be there.

Bruce had a really good writeup about a Skip not "being the show" and instead "being a part of the show". I'll see if I can find a copy of the memo at home. He pulled it out of an old training guide. Again the argument could go either way. I always believed in highlighting the scenes. The Gorilla Camp is a great example. Even before they installed the explosion that scene was too loud to really say much. The elephant bathing pool is another example. There's a good 10-20 second stretch where people who see it for the first time are just trying to take it all in. If a Skip goes right into a joke, no pause, half of it is "lost in translation". During some of the quieter spots there's time to have a little fun. Some boats were funny, some were creative, more than anything I miss the personalities that made Jungle what it was. If everyone's saying the same jokes it just doesn't work for me.
    Last edited by techskip; 09-17-2012 at 01:18 PM.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

Cool Re: A Serious Jungle Cruise

Never change the jungle cruse. Its perfect how it is. Yes it needs a script change but keep the jokes comming. We need to be able to come to disneyland and relax on jungle and know we can here som jokes (some might be bad but still)

• Minion

So would you argue that the HM needs a script change because you've been on it dozens of times?

• Nic

Quote Originally Posted by ShelbyH View Post
    So would you argue that the HM needs a script change because you've been on it dozens of times?
    This.

Disney caters to people who go once every two years, not people who go once every two weeks.
    Fear of the unknown.

They are afraid of new ideas.

They are loaded with prejudices, not based upon any reality, but based on… if something is new, I reject it immediately because it’s frightening to me. What they do instead is just stay with the familiar.
    You know, to me, the most beautiful things in all the universe, are the most mysterious.

• Minion

I don't know that I'd agree that it caters to the occasional visitor, but I do seem to hear this complaint a lot in many forms, which is basically "I'm tired of this ride so it needs to be changed or removed." Things like people who think that the kiddie rides should go primarily because THEY don't go on them anymore, despite the fact that thousands of children still do enjoy them, or that scripts need to change because they've already heard them a million times.

I love the Jungle Cruise humor. 95% of the skippers I've had have been very funny, and I still hear jokes I haven't heard before or hear them delivered in a more clever or entertaining way. The back side of water is a classic joke and just because it's old to you--how many more people want to hear the back side of water? Well, most people who have never ridden it before.

• ~

Quote Originally Posted by ShelbyH View Post
    You can't really compare a humorous script to a narrative/dramatic script. The majority of humor is based on expectations. About building them and breaking them, about being clever and connecting these that you wouldn't think of connecting. And that's why the humorous script of the Jungle Cruise might "get old" is the same jokes are repeated. If you know the punch line, the delivery isn't building your expectations. You don't get that "aha" moment at the joke's conclusion because you already knew what was coming. On the other hand, the HM script narrates the story of the mansion and adds to the atmosphere of the attraction. Whether you know it by heart or whether you're hearing it for the first time, it's going to accomplish this task.

That said, I love the humor of the Jungle Cruise. For me, it's just innately a part of the attraction. I only wish that the skips would rotate their jokes around, as most repeat the same jokes. Charming jokes with the Jungle Cruise humor that I dearly love, but jokes that do tend to "get old" when skips use the same ones rather than branching out and using the other jokes in their arsenal.

what, you don't burst out laughing at "the backside of water" after the 100th time???

• Just drawn that way

I like the JC and it is only truly great if you get a good skipper......if the Skipper is monotone and not into it then the ride suffers.

• Banned User

Agreed, that monotone thing just screams "I hate my job" and it turns the passengers against the skip at some subliminal level. I've seen a boat of enthusiastic guests enter a boat and halfway through wish they were off because of that.

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    Thank you, I think, can't tell if it was all sarcasm or if only the last part was.
    I meant it all as a sincere compliment but yes, I'm aware Weird Al wrote a song. Seriously, it's a real treat to hear about the backside of Jungle Cruise from the mouth of someone who's been there.

A papier-mâché bomb? What the hell even crossed anyone's mind as "this is a good idea."?

• ~

Quote Originally Posted by patton45 View Post
    what, you don't burst out laughing at "the backside of water" after the 100th time???
    The backside of water only gets better and better!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast