Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

• "I Break Things"

Re: A Serious Jungle Cruise

Quote Originally Posted by fifthrider View Post
    Agreed, that monotone thing just screams "I hate my job" and it turns the passengers against the skip at some subliminal level. I've seen a boat of enthusiastic guests enter a boat and halfway through wish they were off because of that.
    On the flip side it can kill a Skip's enthusiasm when the boat doesn't respond to anything. I used to end the "silent tours" with the following

"Ladies and Gentlemen I'd like to take this moment to personally thank each and every one of you for your support. While embarking on this trip I was entrusted with a cargo of critically endangered African crickets. I know I told a lot of jokes over the course of our cruise. Your continued silence allowed me to verify that those special bugs were still alive. Again thank you for your support of a critically endangered insect. As you now exit the boat please step lightly. Hopefully if you hear a loud crunch it's someone's sunglasses and not a bug."

The "danger" to that joke is that some cultures are silent out of politeness. You honestly never know. But that joke got a LOT of laughs, even from the polite boats! It was all in the delivery.

I meant it all as a sincere compliment but yes, I'm aware Weird Al wrote a song. Seriously, it's a real treat to hear about the backside of Jungle Cruise from the mouth of someone who's been there.
    Thank You.

A papier-mâché bomb? What the hell even crossed anyone's mind as "this is a good idea."?
    Not entirely sure as to the "why". This was a creative time when we could really modify our costumes. One guy actually had a parachute draped on the top of his boat, and wore a backpack as if he'd just landed. So someone decided to do the "fake bomb"... a random security guard saw him go past Indy's exit, and that pretty much ended Narrations. It was "on a spiral" anyways (under-staffing mainly) but that was the final nail.

I can't find a digital copy of Bruce's memo and I'm in the middle of a move. I have a hard folder of Jungle memorbilia, if I find it I'll post it.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• formerly very helpful

I know this won't happen, but if there really could be a change to Jungle Cruise, I'd like to see them add another couple hundred feet of track, along with a couple of new scenes to go with them.

Also, to jazz it up a bit, some random animatronics that don't always operate, like animals that pop up from behind bushes or rocks, or come down from the trees or something. That way, you could get more of a different adventure each time.

• film975

It really does depend on the skipper you get. Some are really good at it and some just aren't.

• Minion

I prefers me a good deadpan skipper. The spiel is funnier to me if it's presented as a real tour. When I get a real Fozzie Bear skipper I'll groan and laugh, but only to be polite.

Serious cruise is a very VERY slight maybe on my part. But...

I think I prefer these types of skippers the most. Well, okay Bob is a bit over it, but I still love him.

Total Tender Rides: 20
    Total Lilly Belle Rides: 9
    Total Dapper Days Attended: 2
    Total Mark Twain Wheelhouse Rides: 5

• Nic

Quote Originally Posted by ttintagel View Post
    I prefers me a good deadpan skipper. The spiel is funnier to me if it's presented as a real tour. When I get a real Fozzie Bear skipper I'll groan and laugh, but only to be polite.
    Deadpan can be tricky; you have to do it a certain way, and if you don't, it could go horrible awry.

Someone like Aubrey Plaza would be awesome as a deadpan skipper, but you don't find that talent just anywhere.

Fear of the unknown.

They are afraid of new ideas.

They are loaded with prejudices, not based upon any reality, but based on… if something is new, I reject it immediately because it’s frightening to me. What they do instead is just stay with the familiar.
    You know, to me, the most beautiful things in all the universe, are the most mysterious.

Quote Originally Posted by Chesire View Post
    Deadpan can be tricky; you have to do it a certain way, and if you don't, it could go horrible awry.

Someone like Aubrey Plaza would be awesome as a deadpan skipper, but you don't find that talent just anywhere.
    Excellent point!

• Embrace the kitsch!

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    Not entirely sure as to the "why". This was a creative time when we could really modify our costumes. One guy actually had a parachute draped on the top of his boat, and wore a backpack as if he'd just landed. So someone decided to do the "fake bomb"... a random security guard saw him go past Indy's exit, and that pretty much ended Narrations. It was "on a spiral" anyways (under-staffing mainly) but that was the final nail.
    According to "More Mouse Tales" (yes, I know) the understaffing was dictated by upper management and was politically motivated.

The way I see it, Bruce was trying to "shake things up" in Attractions, which caused him to run afoul of the good ol' boy network. At the same time, the Pre$$ler team was on its way in and they had their own ideas, so Bruce found himself between a rock and a hard place.
    Disneyland Historic Preservation Society
    Charter Member

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway Guru View Post
    According to "More Mouse Tales" (yes, I know) the understaffing was dictated by upper management and was politically motivated.

The way I see it, Bruce was trying to "shake things up" in Attractions, which caused him to run afoul of the good ol' boy network. At the same time, the Pre$$ler team was on its way in and they had their own ideas, so Bruce found himself between a rock and a hard place.
    I know David, we've talked about this part before. I'm not sure how accurate that statement is since new hires were placed in Narrarations. It was a "hybrid" of Entertainment and Attractions. Part of the reason for the under staffing is that a lot of CM's didn't want to have spieling only attractions. Another big reason among the older CM's was that it was a way to get Jungle and/or Storybook off their knowledge (as discussed previously people could easily get "stuck" at Jungle for months on end). Whatever the case the end result was under staffing and the "solution" was to bring the old crew back in to supplement This caused a lot of tension between "old" and "new". I happened to walk on the dock right when the program wound down... so I had friends on "both sides". Management used me, and those that came in with me, like glue. We somehow kept the 2 sides together since we weren't really part of either one. The bonus is that both sides poured their knowledge into us... so we literally got the best of both worlds.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234