• Minion

Westward Expedition Attraction

In the area where Big Thunder Ranch and the Festival of Fools, an attraction called Westaward Expedition can be built. The attraction would be a white water rapids attraction. Guests ride on rafts aboard a raging river in search of gold and along the way meet up with some characters.....The Country Bears who laugh and tell them there is nothing out west but fool's gold. The attraction would have many hills and valleys......Explorers would also encounter Woody (from Toy Story) and his gang who are having a nice cookout and signing campfire songs....as well as meeting Donald Duck and his three nephews who run a general store/western outpost..........This attraction would be a great addition for Frontierland!

Sounds like a cool concept, but wouldn't it be basically the same thing as Grizzly River Run over in DCA?

Seeing as how badly DCA needs some Disney theming, why not add all that stuff into Grizzly River Run instead of just building a whole new ride from scratch?

• Social Imagineer

Heheh, Big Thunder Mountain itself was an outgrowth of an earlier attraction called Western River Expedition. This was to be a Pirates-type ride housed inside an artificial mesa. As plans for the attraction progressed, it was decided that the top of the mesa could also be used for a runaway train rollercoaster and that the paths of the two attractions would intersect at one or more points (sort of how Indiana Jones and the Jungle Cruise were once meant to intersect in an interior space).

Anyway, budgetary restrictions prevailed and Tony Baxter's Big Thunder Mountain Railroad was greenlighted over the pre-existing plans for Marc Davis' Western River Expedition. Reportedly, there was bad blood between the two imagineers for decades afterwards. Davis basically saw Baxter's attraction as usurping his own.

It's too bad Western River Expedition was never built. Considering how long-lasting the popularity of Pirates and Haunted Mansion have turned out to be - especially in comparison with other types of attractions built over the years - maybe it's time to resurrect this one from the vaults.

• Minion

The attraction would be more themed than Grizzly Run. Also the theme the Country Bears, Woody and Donald would be built inside the mountain like how it is in Splash Mountain. It is a shame that the Country Bears were not added to Grizzly Run.

• șoș Tom șoș

My brother who is my Disney expert proposed an excellent idea...why not just replant the Bear Country Jamboree over there near Grizzly River Rapids. Heck they are just sitting in storage. Take down those awful faciades of San Fransico style homes and replace it with a woody entrance and theatre.

As far as another white water ride, I think it would take away a little bit from DCA, just one more reason for people to avoid going to the second park. The intent of Western characters getting a themed ride is great. I think I would be much more impressed with a Woody dark ride that uses the same technology as the Winnie the Pooh from Toyko. The hunpots on that ride are free wheeling vehicles that run on batteries and glide along hidden sensors in the floor. In a similar way you could build a stage coach that guided you through a Woody tale where you cross paths with that pesky Miner and other wild west variments. Just a thought.

• Minion

Well, I like the idea of more water rides (my personal favorite), but I think Disney should either create a whole new set of characters, or stick to one set of existing characters. Country Bears Log Jam-boree would be okay. Paul Bunyan's Big Adventure, featuring cameos by Johnny Appleseed, Casey Jones, and Pecos Bill, would also work.
    See, George Lucas? I'm not the only one! [<-- i.e. this is not my site]
    78 Reasons To Hate Star Wars Episode 1

"There are fashions in reading, even in thinking. You don't have to follow them unless you want to."

"A lot of young people think the future is closed to them, that everything has been done. This is not so. There are still plenty of avenues to be explored."

-- Walt Disney

• Minion

One set of characters is workable as well. But I like a mixture...I think this would be a great attarction in Frontierland. A water themed attraction is fine for Frontierland.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by JoeCool
    One set of characters is workable as well. But I like a mixture...I think this would be a great attarction in Frontierland. A water themed attraction is fine for Frontierland.
    I guess my main concern is, what do the Country Bears, Donald Duck, and Woody have in common that can create an immersive theme. A concept like the Great Toon Ride can incorporate many disparate characters because the theme is touring the homes of the other Toons (think Toon Town meets SSL), or the theme is a magical journey into the movies... etc, etc. The theme is still fairly specific, despite the variety of characters.

But Frontierland is about a certain period in history that doesn't have the elasticity of Fantasyland or Toon Town.

Besides, I have a particular bias againt a 90s character who is supposed to be a TV puppet from the 50s having much "air time" in Frontierland.
    See, George Lucas? I'm not the only one! [<-- i.e. this is not my site]
    78 Reasons To Hate Star Wars Episode 1

"There are fashions in reading, even in thinking. You don't have to follow them unless you want to."

"A lot of young people think the future is closed to them, that everything has been done. This is not so. There are still plenty of avenues to be explored."

-- Walt Disney

• Minion

Yes I see your point...the characters used would have to be carefully picked..but remember it is Disneyland!

Quote Originally Posted by ModHatter
    Well, I like the idea of more water rides (my personal favorite), but I think Disney should either create a whole new set of characters, or stick to one set of existing characters. Country Bears Log Jam-boree would be okay. Paul Bunyan's Big Adventure, featuring cameos by Johnny Appleseed, Casey Jones, and Pecos Bill, would also work.
    I do think Frontierland could use a dark ride featuring mythic Westerners such as the ones you noted.

• Minion

I think the attraction with Disney-theme characters as I suggested maybe minus Woody...But I say Donald Duck could work in Frontierland!

Quote Originally Posted by ah schucks
    My brother who is my Disney expert proposed an excellent idea...why not just replant the Bear Country Jamboree over there near Grizzly River Rapids. Heck they are just sitting in storage. Take down those awful faciades of San Fransico style homes and replace it with a woody entrance and theatre.
    That's a cool idea actually. There is plenty of room over in that corner to build a small building that the Bears could play in. Plus, with maybe a little Country Bear theming added to the area, they would fit right in.

• Banned User

I just hope they make a serious ride rather then a cartoonish ride. I think they should add the river expedition there and finally break this bad habit of them wanting only thrills. I think it is time we got a new type of Pirates of the Caribbean attraction.