Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• ~

Re: It's Blu-ray, not BLUE-ray! That typo on Main Street, USA

Quote Originally Posted by DARTH MAUL View Post
    I'm with the OP. This is ridiculous. All the money they have and no one caught this??! There are other misspellings in the park too that workers just get lazy/sloppy/ignorant with. For instance the drinks at Mad T Party drinks should be labeled "Drink Mes", not "Drink Me's". I expect common grammar and spelling to be correct at a theme park of this stature. This is grade school level, folks.
    Isn't an apostrophe often used for clarification, even when it isn't technically "grammatically correct"? I think that "drink mes" looks weird since the word "me" is never really in the plural. Even if it isn't grammatically correct, "drink me's" for some reason looks better. That could be why the decided to write it like that, even if it's not grammatically correct.

I've also noticed more typos on the Disneyland website. I'm not sure if I'm just becoming more observant, or if they're not checking the website as thoroughly as in the past.

However, most of these things I can overlook. As Aladdin mentioned, the cheap-looking movie cardboard cutouts in Main Street windows bug me much more than the little spelling error.
    Last edited by gatheringrosebuds; 09-15-2012 at 05:47 PM.

• Disneyland History Lover

It's an unfortunate typo, but it's not the end of the world. You'd think someone would've caught and fixed it by now. My grammatical pet peeves are when people put periods, commas, question marks, or exclamation marks outside quotations when they should be inside. Or when they spell alot as one word when it should be a lot. Or write it's when it should be its.

I do agree that the Drink Me's don't make sense, but they look better than Drink Mes. That looks more like "Drink Mehs." The easiest think to have avoided confusion would have been to label that section simply as Drink Me.

• Banned User

Please tell me the misspelling of "you're" is on purpose.

---------- Post added 09-16-2012 at 12:27 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Princess Victoria View Post
    It's an unfortunate typo, but it's not the end of the world. You'd think someone would've caught and fixed it by now. My grammatical pet peeves are when people put periods, commas, question marks, or exclamation marks outside quotations when they should be inside. Or when they spell alot as one word when it should be a lot. Or write it's when it should be its.

I do agree that the Drink Me's don't make sense, but they look better than Drink Mes. That looks more like "Drink Mehs." The easiest think to have avoided confusion would have been to label that section simply as Drink Me.
    I agree, it doesn't "look" correct, but that's because people often make this mistake. That's why I expect more of Disney.

• See Ya Real Soon!

Quote Originally Posted by DARTH MAUL View Post
    For instance the drinks at Mad T Party drinks should be labeled "Drink Mes", not "Drink Me's". I expect common grammar and spelling to be correct at a theme park of this stature.
    I blame MS Word. I can not tell you how many times it will tell me to add the ' when it is clear to me that it doesn't belong.

Also sad when minor things get some people upset enough to post their upsetness on an international forum. And this is about as minor as it get's, people.

• Disneyland PAP

Well, reading through the varied opinions left since I started this thread has been quite enlightening! From agreement to dismissive to a waste of space on an international thread, with a spoonful of "Where'd the 3D displays go?"

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
    "E" in "Blu-Ray", eh, a minor thing.

Movie theater cardboard cutouts in Main Street Windows?

THAT is a much bigger deal.

C'mon. Disney used to pride itself on 3D Movie Displays for nearly every single new Animated feature. It's sad to see such a CRAPPY display on Main Street USA.
    For what it's worth, I opened this thread with that same sentiment I boldfaced in Aladdin's post. My thought that Disney used to pride itself on creating a world guests would enter and leave behind the real world where autocorrect doesn't work. Or more simply, enter that bygone era that included attention details of even the simplest things. Yes, including correct spelling.

A friend called me a typo-Nazi for this. Everyone has their thoughts about it, this admittedly "minor" offense on Disney's part. But if it is so minor, I don't see why they don't fix it. It's "minor" either way, right? But since it's stayed up this long, I know it won't be changed until the entire window display is changed out with an entirely new message and theme. And I'm not even going to speculate on whether it'll be cardboard or 3D.

Thanks for all the posts, both pro, con and wth.

• Banned User

At Disneyland Paris it would be Bleu-Ray.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
    ...Disney used to pride itself on 3D Movie Displays for nearly every single new Animated feature. It's sad to see such a CRAPPY display on Main Street USA.
    Bingo.

It's sad to see that the same affinity for crappy window displays has taken over DCA's "Main Street" also.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• -

The irony here is that the misspelling of the word "blue" is in the actual product name and by spelling it the correct way, Disney is now making a misspelling.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Popcornballs View Post
    Also sad when minor things get some people upset enough to post their upsetness on an international forum. And this is about as minor as it get's, people.
    *gets

Quote Originally Posted by Princess Victoria View Post
    My grammatical pet peeves are when people put periods, commas, question marks, or exclamation marks outside quotations when they should be inside.
    I'm one of those people. I know it's "correct" to put the punctuation inside the end quote, but it's illogical. Sentences are made up of words and and ending punctuation. A sentence with a quoted phrase should still have ending punctuation that is not part of the quoted phrase so that the phrase can be removed and not take the punctuation with it.

Victoria said "You're smart!"

Take away the quoted phrase and the sentence is now missing ending punctuation. The exclamation point is part of the quoted phrase, but the sentence still needs a period.

Victoria said "You're smart!".

I know that may be technically wrong, but it's logical.

What about the following? Correctly punctuated or not?

Did Victoria say hi?
    Did Victoria say "You're smart!"?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12