• I am a Pluto lover

Disneyland Managment

Im sure this has all been discussed here before in various threads but I didnt pay much attention to them nor really understood the threads. But now...

I have just finished reading More Mouse Tales by David Koenig,
    (Kevin Yee - Ill be reading yours next)

Most of the book was comical and quite interesting but the last chapter is what had me. "The Business of Show Business" It walked you through a lot of the changes in managment and cast in the last ten to fifteen years. It also explained how the changes hurt the park. I really had no idea. All I could say was, Wow.

I knew there had been a lot of changes but I didnt know how it affected all involved with the Park. Im sure there is a lot the book did not talk about but what it did touch on with all the cutbacks and layoffs surprised me. It has definetly made me see the cast members in a different light. I am even more appreciative of them now.

This book was done in 2002, for the cast memebers out there, is the morale still low? Are people still overworked and shorthanded? Have there been changes in the past three years? For the better? I know Eisner is now out, are things starting to change?

And the most important question, is there anything that a single person like me can do from the outside to help change things for the better?

Thanks in advance for helping to bring a Disneyland Lover up to date on more then just the rides.
    Mellymouse

(do you think the Finding Nemo Subs line will be under 3 hours by then?)

• Long Distance Imagineer

Re: Disneyland Managment

Since 2002, the management at DLR has changed, and a lot for the better. Unfortunately, even the management at DLR have limitations on what they can and cannot do, or I think we would have seen a lot more changes at DLR with Matt & his team.

You'd have to read the archives on Al's updates in order to really appreciate the positive changes that have been made. There's still a ways to go before Disneyland Park itself will no longer be considered the "forgotten stepchild" it was before the 50th. Now that the crowds have really overwhelmed the management, though, Corporate will no longer have the excuses they were making before to not update the park.

• Vehicle rotating backward

CMs enjoy what they do for the most part but have been leaving in droves because policy changes have bit some in the *** and the stress of keeping up with the changes are too much for some others.

Since wages have changed so little in the years it's now more profitable to work at bottom-tier franchise jobs like some fast food restaurants, management is shocked each time they get a job fair and the result brings in people who see the job as "just a job" or people in even worse situations (such as immigrants without enough English skills to work the drive-through window.)

At some point the people who have their own offices and desks are going to have to accept a higher wage or accept a lower quality of CM, but for the moment they're remaining mum and stretching the remaining people who want to work there.

As far as guest experience goes, though, no things aren't impacted too much in those years. Maintenance wasn't great but it wasn't as bad under Pressler/Irby as they were at times in the 70s/80s. The biggest problems posted online was usually a burnt out bulb or fading paint job.

No, the biggest problem of the late 90s years was how absolutely BALLSY they were at making it known that they were only interested in your money. New attractions that use mirrors and twinkle-lights as special effects dumping you into the middle of a store when you got off it. Dark rides with malfunctioning equipment and a plush cart at the exit, etc.

• I am a Pluto lover

And so in what ways can we, the yearly visitors, help change things?

Ok.. slowly things are changing now, but does one letter from someone like me who goes once a year make a difference? Such as last years visit when the food service was so bad because of the lack of people, would it have helped to improve it?

What are the problems now faceing cast members? Can someone like me help? For the "how absolutely BALLSY they were at making it known that they were only interested in your money." Can I do anything to help change that?

Or am I worrying too much, will this all continue to get better without my lonely attemps to help?

I guess Im just thinking how much I want Disneyland to stay the happy happy place I remember from childhood and how I want it that way now for my kids.
    Mellymouse

(do you think the Finding Nemo Subs line will be under 3 hours by then?)