• Banned User

Stovallís Space Age Inn of Tomorrow featured as Charles Phoenix's Slide of the Week!

Many MiceChatters are familiar with author/humorist/showman/chef/Ambassador of Americana Charles Phoenix, who the LA Times calls "the King of Retro." Charles' most recent Slide of the Week is a photo of the lobby of the now-less-spectacular Stovall's Space Age Inn of Tomorrow, circa 1972, in all its Apollo-era glory.

http://www.charlesphoenix.com/2012/0...-anaheim-1972/

Check out that classic Atari Pong arcade game!

• "Always On The Move..."

Re: Stovallís Space Age Inn of Tomorrow featured as Charles Phoenix's Slide of the We

Oh, I remember staying there. I thought it was so cool!
    Quote Originally Posted by migo View Post
    I poop with joy!
    Best Quote...EVER!!!

Member of the Black Cat Owners Association #6

• Johnny and Me!

Re: Stovallís Space Age Inn of Tomorrow featured as Charles Phoenix's Slide of the We

Last edited by dfan07; 09-16-2012 at 07:31 PM.

• Minion

That place is a work of art. I wonder if the people working there wore space suits.

As a kid I was always mezmerized by the Stovall properties. I think they had 3 or 4 properties. I remember looking at the photos/ads in the AAA guide!
    The Mur

• Greetings, Program!

Quote Originally Posted by dfan07 View Post
    This room is scary and awesome at the same time. I'd love to stay one night there just so I could say I did.
    "The old man's gonna knock on the sky. Listen to the sound."

AP'er since 2004. Yup.....I'm one of THEM.

• Mrs. J. Depp

I don't know why but I'm completely creeped out by it. I think it might be because it is design overkill.

Facebook me!
    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

•   

These are really cool pics, thanks for posting. Back in the 60's through 80's my grandfather owned some Best Western motels and knew the Stovalls through the annual meeting BW held for the owners in Las Vegas. Over time he got to know Jack Stovall pretty well and whenever we went to DL we always stayed at one of his properties and stopped in to see him in person. He was a nice guy. I remember it being said that Walt didn't care for how junky the properties around the DL resort looked but that always bothered me because I thought the Stoval properties did imaginative things ( topiaries come to mind ) that made them as much as trip to Disney and the park itself.
    Your first, your last, your only defense against the scum of the ethereal plane.

<a href=http://westcoastbusters.com/ target=_blank>http://westcoastbusters.com/</a>

That's something I definitely miss about the Disneyland trips of my youth.
    All the crazy motels, and they're garish signs, were as much a part of the excitement for us when we were kids as Disneyland itself.

It would start with coming south on the 5, and catching that first glimpse of the Matterhorn rising up in the distance. Then, getting off on Harbor, or Katella, and seeing all the crazy signs and lights that we only saw in one place in the world. Then it was official, we knew we were going to Disneyland!

Thats why I dearly love the Alpine Inn on Katella. Its the last vestige of the old area around the park. I always try to take a different pic of it when we are there.

Anyone who likes this should do a search for the term "googie". Click on images. It'll take you back.

• Greetings, Program!

Quote Originally Posted by 9oldmen View Post
    Anyone who likes this should do a search for the term "googie". Click on images. It'll take you back.
    Googie Architecture Online

Half of Anaheim is on this site. Very cool historical photos.
    "The old man's gonna knock on the sky. Listen to the sound."

AP'er since 2004. Yup.....I'm one of THEM.