Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Ardent WDW Enthusiast

A WDW visitor's first time to DLR! Oct 19th-26th

Hello all! Im mostly a lurker when it comes to this site but I was wondering if you had any advice for me, my trip details:

Oct 19th: Arrive late from (actually will not touch down at LAX until the 20th)
    Oct 20-24th: Disneyland Resort with a ticket to the MHP on the 22nd
    Oct 25th: Knotts Scary Farm (and a ticket to the Haunt)
    Oct 26th: Fly to Oklahoma City from SNA
    Oct 27th: Notre Dame vs Oklahoma (my alma matter vs my brothers )
    Oct 28th: Go home

Hotel: Hilton Anaheim (cashing in some HHonors points and using my brand new HHonors Gold card)

I have a few questions for all you regulars back here:

1. I get a Magic Morning with my 5 day Hopper (yes I spending the extra money to have a ticket to the parks on my MHP day, I doubt I will be back to CA anytime soon and dont want to waste a moment) when should I use it Saturday or Tuesday?

2. During this time of the year should I expect to get soaked on Grizzly River Rapids? I know at WDW Kali River Rapids drop causes a tidal wave to spill onto the boat but I heard your version can dial back to wetness.

3. If I purchase my park pass as an "E-ticket" will I have to cart around a piece of paper the entire week or will they convert it to a real ticket at the gate. Earlier this year I went to Universal Orlando and they would not give me a real ticket, that is until my E-ticket got destroyed on Popeye's (despite being in a plastic bag) and even then that took a half an hour to sort out. Im willing to pay the $5 processing fee for a real ticket if I can avoid this.

4. Is the ART bus still running to Knotts in October and if so does it run late enough that I can catch a ride back to Disneyland at the end of the Haunt?

5. Do I need a WOC meal to get a good seat to World of Color (I plan on watching Fantasmic and Remember Sat and Sun and plan on seeing WOC Mon and Wed)

6. How should I plan my MHP day, should I try to get pictures/candy early and do rides later (in between the shows) or visa versa. I have a great costume planned and want to get some pictures with some villains and fab 5 in their costumes. Obviously seeing Halloween Screams and the Parade once will also be a big priority.

7. I want to have a Monte Cristo at Cafe Orleans one night for sure, any other table dining that is not to be missed? Also will I be able to get a reservation the day of, or should I make one soon?

8. Im going solo this trip, how long is the RSR single line these days. Should I skip going to the fastpass line at opening and just jump in the single rider line?

9. I plan on buying a pre Haunt meal to get the hour of ERT at Knotts, and obviously I plan on going on the Evil Dead Log Ride first, but after that should I just make a loop through the mazes or is there some other mazes I should hit ASAP before the line grows too long.

10. Speaking of plans, at true park opening the am, what roller coasters should I ride first thing at Knotts?

11. Any other general advise is welcome.

Look for pictures in this thread once I get back.

Lastly Im getting myself ready for the DLR by going through my Disney catalog. One movie a night, with a focus on watching movies that have shows/rides at the DLR (with the most important ones last.)

Sept 16th: Opening double header: Tangled and Princess and the Frog
    Sept 17th: Up
    Sept 19th: Enchanted (not home the 18th)
    Sept 20th: 101 Dalmatians
    Sept 21st: Toy Story
    Sept 23nd: POTC: CotBP (not home the 22nd)
    Sept 24rd: Monsters Inc.
    Sept 26th: Toy Story 2 (not home the 25th)
    Sept 27th: The Lion King
    Sept 28th: Beauty and the Beast
    Sept 29th: Mary Poppins
    Sept 30th: POTC: DMC
    Oct 1st: Aladdin
    Oct 2nd: The Little Mermaid
    Oct 3rd: Toy Story 3
    Oct 4th: Tarzan
    Oct 5th: Fantasia 2000
    Oct 6th: Peter Pan
    Oct 7th: POTC: AWE
    Oct 8th: Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
    Oct 9th: Pinocchio
    Oct 10th: Finding Nemo
    Oct 11th: Alice in Wonderland
    Oct 12th: Fantasia
    Oct 13th: The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
    Oct 14th: POTC: OST
    Oct 15th: Who Framed Rodger Rabbit?
    Oct 16th: Sleeping Beauty
    Oct 17th: Cars
    Oct 18th: The Nightmare Before Christmas

Cant wait until 10/19!

• Disneyland Dreamer

California, but still too far from the land.

Re: A WDW visitor's first time to DLR! Oct 19th-26th

I don't know how much I can help you here, but I know they converted our "E-Tickets" when we went last year and we've purchased ours already for the weekend before your trip!

For Magic Morning, I would look and see what park the pass is good for on that particular day and then make that decision.

I haven't been on Grizzly in a few years, but I remember getting soaked.

As for World of Color, I've only ever gotten the meals, but since you have a few days to decide when to see it, you have wiggle room.

Have a blast!

• Ardent WDW Enthusiast

Thanks for your help, from what I can tell, Magic Morning is only at Disneyland, and only on Saturday, Tuesday and Thursday. Since Im at Knott's Thursday that just leaves Sat and Tues.

• Elven Queen of Caffeine

I'm going to be there the 21st-24th myself, so I'll give you my best advice: what I am doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Touchdown View Post
    1. I get a Magic Morning with my 5 day Hopper (yes I spending the extra money to have a ticket to the parks on my MHP day, I doubt I will be back to CA anytime soon and dont want to waste a moment) when should I use it Saturday or Tuesday?
    I'd do Tuesday. Saturday already has longer hours and...well, I just prefer Tuesday! =)

2. During this time of the year should I expect to get soaked on Grizzly River Rapids? I know at WDW Kali River Rapids drop causes a tidal wave to spill onto the boat but I heard your version can dial back to wetness.
    If they do "dial back the wetness" I have never experienced it! I've never NOT gotten soaked on that ride.

3. If I purchase my park pass as an "E-ticket" will I have to cart around a piece of paper the entire week or will they convert it to a real ticket at the gate. Earlier this year I went to Universal Orlando and they would not give me a real ticket, that is until my E-ticket got destroyed on Popeye's (despite being in a plastic bag) and even then that took a half an hour to sort out. Im willing to pay the $5 processing fee for a real ticket if I can avoid this.
    They do give you a hard ticket, so no worries there.

5. Do I need a WOC meal to get a good seat to World of Color (I plan on watching Fantasmic and Remember Sat and Sun and plan on seeing WOC Mon and Wed)
    To get a GOOD seat? no, you don't need the meal. To get a good seat without waiting for 2 hours? Do the meal. Not only is the food at Carthay excellent, but you can saunter in to the WOC viewing area 10 minutes before it starts and still get a great vantage point. Last time I just got a FP for WOC I waited for one hour in the WOC queue and another hour at the viewing location. That is a whole lot of standing when you have to stand for the show as well! It is worth it to me to go the dining package route. But I regularly buy the reserved seating for Fantasmic! because my time is worth it to me.

6. How should I plan my MHP day, should I try to get pictures/candy early and do rides later (in between the shows) or visa versa. I have a great costume planned and want to get some pictures with some villains and fab 5 in their costumes. Obviously seeing Halloween Screams and the Parade once will also be a big priority.
    The earlier you get pictures/candy the shorter the lines are, so that is my game plan. Remember you can be in costume after 3pm, and that is when a few of the fab 5 characters start appearing for photo ops. Its the villains who generally wait until the party officially starts to appear. And good for you for making Halloween Screams and the Parade a priority - they are totally worth it.

7. I want to have a Monte Cristo at Cafe Orleans one night for sure, any other table dining that is not to be missed? Also will I be able to get a reservation the day of, or should I make one soon?
    IMHO...get the Monte Cristo from the Blue Bayou instead - yeah, you pay a little more for the atmosphere, but its great atmosphere. For that you definitely need reservations.

8. Im going solo this trip, how long is the RSR single line these days. Should I skip going to the fastpass line at opening and just jump in the single rider line?
    YES. Single Rider line is usually shorter than FP line.

11. Any other general advise is welcome.
    If you can swing it, do the Halloween tour! That was seriously my favorite thing that I did last year! Plus it gets you to the front of the line at several major attractions, which by itself is worth the price of the tour.

And, most importantly, have fun!!!

P.S. If you want to meet up during your trip, just let me know, I might be there solo as well.

• Ardent WDW Enthusiast

^ Thanks for all the tips!

My only thing I would point out is that the hours are not really that different on Tuesday vs Saturday for me. DL still opens at 8am, and the Halloween Party runs until 11 vs the regular day on Saturday ending at midnight.

Really glad I dont have to worry about the ticket.

Ladyn, I've made a reservation at Wine Country Trattoria for one night a 6:30. Do you think that's enough time if WOC starts at 8:15? (there's no schedule yet, I'm guessing based on the schedule tha out). Thanks!

• Under that tree again!

These rides aren't clones. They can turn off a couple effects but the drop down the slope is the same everyday. The weather can be very pleasant in late October so I wouldn't worry too much. To the left of the ride entrance are free for 2 hour lockers that you can stow stuff in.

The ticket you get when you exchange your E Ticket at the turnstyle is paper, but rather tough paper.

4. Is the ART bus still running to Knotts in October and if so does it run late enough that I can catch a ride back to Disneyland at the end of the Haunt?
    You will want to check this link. Route 18 | Anaheim Resort Transportation Notice this route is only going back to Disneyland Resort. If your hotel is far away the stop at the parks will be your transfer point and when DLR parks are closed the ART shuttle won't be picking up. You can also take the municipal buses, OCTA near DLR, and Metro from DLR to Knotts.

To be clear there is no seating for WoC unless you are handicapped, it's standing only.

I'd suggest seeing Remember and then Fastasmic! on Saturday. In the case that one of the other is cancelled this lets you have a second chance on Sunday. Also if you don't get a good view this will get you a second chance.

For WoC I'd also reccomend eating at Carthay Circle Restaurant. If you get an entree with either dessert or appetizer you can get your WoC tickets with it. However if the food or price isn't right the other FPs are free. Neither gives you a better view, that comes from getting near the middle of Paradise Park, the viewing area and toward the front of the tiered veiwing area. You get that by arriving early. 90 minutes for the free FPs, 30 for the dining FPs.

The rides are the same all day, and every day of your visit. No need to ride them during MHP unless you want to. The waits are short. You can meet some villains and characters in Big Thunder Ranch on other days or earlier. Keey the party exclusive items as the priority, do what you can do other times for other times.

I'd do both. You will probably want to ride multiple times during your visit. The single rider lines are great, but on RSR usually longer than the FP return.

Keep in mind at DLR you can use FPs anytime of the day after the return window opens. Also that you can get another FP when the return window opens or two hours after getting the pervious FP. And it gets better. With the parks so close you can hop from one park to the other in minutes. FPs in one park don't effect what you have or want in the other parks. You can get a Space Mountain FP and 5 minutes later a Grizzly River Rapids FP. Then wait at most 2 hours to get another FP in DL and another in DCA.

As far as when to do your MM. Maybe you will be excited and on eastern time on Saturday morning. However after the short hours on Monday you may have more energy to get up on Tuesday.

Don't worry too much. Visiting solo you can do tons or rides.

• Delawarean Girl

You're in for a surprise. I use to goto WDW alot and then decided to goto Disneyland for the first time in 2007. From my experience. I was a walking map to WDW. But when it came to Disneyland. I needed a map. It's such a different range area and so different of how they do thing (such as getting your tickets & transportation).

You'll like the different rides that Disneyland have to offer and how long at some of rides that WDW does have, go in Disneyland.

Make sure you try Dole Whip or Dole Whip Float while you are there. So much better then WDW's, imo.

I hope you enjoy your time at Disneyland too and make sure you attend that Sunday meet with the MiceChatters.

• Elven Queen of Caffeine

Quote Originally Posted by smartlabelprint View Post
    Ladyn, I've made a reservation at Wine Country Trattoria for one night a 6:30. Do you think that's enough time if WOC starts at 8:15? (there's no schedule yet, I'm guessing based on the schedule tha out). Thanks!
    I've never dined at WCT for a WOC show, so I'm not sure how much time you need. I'd think you'd be fine at 6:30 there, though if you were at CCT I'd say that was a little too late - they don't quite have their service down yet and it can take a good couple of hours to have your obligatory 2 course meal. Swampy undoubtably knows for sure, we seem to overlap a bit on this kind of park info, but he has a wider knowledge base than I =)

Just wear a poncho so you can still enjoy the ride without getting soaked.... that's what I do

Too bad you'll be missing out on IJA :/
    Have fun though!

Great you are venturing out to Disneyland! That is also terrific you are heading to the OU game in Norman. I actually live in Oklahoma City and I am an OU grad. I am a 10+ time Disneyland vet, who also has Disney World experience. I was just at Disneyland in July, so I can provide great insight to you with the recent additions. I can also provide info about OKC/Norman and OU game days if you would like that for your trip to Oklahoma. Send me a message and we can talk more!

Welcome to Disneyland.

Here's a few tips from personal experience

- Take the time to observe DLR's main street. You'll find that some shops are different. For example, we don't have a Barber shop here, but we do have the movie theater still that plays the old Mickey Mouse black and whites.

- You might feel everything is close together, because DLR was built on smaller land. i remember when I went to WDW I felt that everything was so spread out.

- Because DLR is a locals park, expect crowds to get larger after hours (~5pm), as people head there after work/school.

- DLR does not enforce the fast pass times as strictly as WDW. If your fastpass has already gone past its scheduled time, you can still use it. Also, try to collect fastpasses on both parks. The fastpasses only keep track only within the respective park. So if you get a fastpass at DLR you can also get one at DCA at the same time.

Enjoy your time!

Disneyland - 1982 to Present
    Walt Disney World - 1996, 2011
    Tokyo Disney Resort - 2013
    Hong Kong Disneyland - 2013

• Ardent WDW Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by j7m7l7 View Post
    I can also provide info about OKC/Norman and OU game days if you would like that for your trip to Oklahoma. Send me a message and we can talk more!
    Thanks for the offer but my brother along with my mom and dad will be meeting up with me in Norman. Ive been a few times, just not for game day. That game is really the reason Im going to Disneyland. When that game was announced 5 years ago we all put a big red circle on this weekend (and Sept 28th next year.) In order to assure that I had that weekend off I had to burn a week of vacation. I usually take a week off around Columbus Day to go to New Hampshire for the fall foliage season. With the extra 7 days off too late to do that I turned to my "Halloween Bucket List" for theme parks. As of now it has 5 parks: Disneyland, Knott's Berry Farm, Busch Gardens Tampa, Magic Kingdom and Universal Orlando. My brother and I have been planning to take that trip to Florida when he finishes grad school so, therefore I shot for CA.

Also, thanks to all for all the replys!

• Ardent WDW Enthusiast

Time for the Trip Report

I know its a little late but its time for me to finally start my trip report (which will be rather photo heavy.)

Anyways, since this was my first visit to DLR after many visits to WDW I will be mostly comparing the two Resorts. Instead of doing day by day, Ill go park by park (and end with Halloween stuff.)

General Impressions of the Resort: DLR is small, which has it's pluses and minuses. I really enjoyed park hopping every day, and being only 10 minutes from anywhere else in the resort at anytime. Due to its closeness I would have no problem taking a toddler or older to the resort (provided I stayed at the Grand Californian) whereas I would not want to take a kid less then 5 to WDW just because of the endurance needed there. However, because WDW is so big as long as you stay on property you really feel like you have left the real world; you do not get that at DLR and because of that WDW remains in a class by itself when it comes to theme parks. That does not mean I think DLR is a bad resort, on the contrary I place DLR at the next class along Universal Orlando (of which there is a lot of parallels to DLR) and Williamsburg, VA.

Anyways, onto Disneyland and my first set of pictures:

Name:  0 (800x600) (640x480).jpg
Views: 249
Size:  186.4 KBName:  1 (800x600) (640x480).jpg
Size:  155.8 KBName:  2 (800x600) (640x480).jpg
Size:  167.5 KBName:  4 (800x600) (640x480).jpg
Size:  188.2 KBName:  5 (800x600) (640x480).jpg
Views: 250
Size:  190.1 KBName:  6 (800x600) (640x480).jpg
Size:  222.2 KBName:  8 (800x600) (640x480).jpg
Views: 245
Size:  194.1 KBName:  9 (800x600) (640x480).jpg
Size:  201.3 KBName:  10 (800x600) (640x480).jpg
Views: 248
Size:  237.3 KBName:  11 (800x600) (640x480).jpg
Views: 247
Size:  244.4 KB

There is not much to be said about Main Street as it is pretty similar in either resort. Some how I managed to never see Mr. Lincoln (an oversight on my part.)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast