View Poll Results: Should Disney try out Hook as a face character like Cruella?

Voters
86. You may not vote on this poll
  • Try out Hook as a speaking face character.

66 76.74%
  • Keep Hook masked and silent.

14 16.28%
  • No preference.

4 4.65%
  • Never heard of Hook, but I like to vote in polls.

2 2.33%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Minion

Re: Would Captain Hook be more fun as a face character?

When I was a kid, the masked human characters scared the sheep out of me.

•   
    • Banned User

I feel the same way when I watched those Burger King commercials. Put a big smile on "the king's" face and I'm still bothered by it. Hook is about on par to me. I love seeing Hook there, but making it a face character is absolutely a no-brainer. They should have considered this a while ago.

• Minion

I don't understand why WDW has Hook as a face character in one of their shows but we don't have him as a face character. The mask just doesn't fit.

He'd have to have the chin. Maybe artificial. Maybe Jay Leno.
    Also, can you have Hook without Smee?
    With kind regards,
    The Tony

Does Fantasmic! have Hook with a mask or face?
    www.youtube.com/lundopictures

• Queen Elsa

Quote Originally Posted by Director_Guy View Post
    Does Fantasmic! have Hook with a mask or face?

Face but like I said it doesn't look right to me the face verison doesn't look nothing like him that is why I go along with the Mask same as with Smee the face version is so wrong. To me the face verison of Hook looks like a caveman and Smee and old man.

• Nutty about Disney parks

Quote Originally Posted by ohmyjustin View Post
    I don't understand why WDW has Hook as a face character in one of their shows but we don't have him as a face character. The mask just doesn't fit.
    Hook and Smee were both face characters in the "Dream Along with Mickey" castle show. Upon closer inspection of the vids it seems that they use some form of putty mask to get the big chin and big nose and the other facial features to show while as a face character. You can't really notice it unless you're really upclose. If they work on improving those details, they might get Hook as a face character to work.

I also think however since some of the character voices are lip-synced in the shows that Captain Hook is a face character in, it might be difficult to get an actor to match his voice as a face character or come to close to it anyway.
    Toonaspie: I have Asperger's. I like cartoons. Toonaspie!

• Nic

If they pulled an actor out of "The Groundlings" or another improv troupe around the area, I think characters like Captain Hook could have great potential.

I just don't wanna see a generic pirate character acted out.
    Fear of the unknown.

They are afraid of new ideas.

They are loaded with prejudices, not based upon any reality, but based onÖ if something is new, I reject it immediately because itís frightening to me. What they do instead is just stay with the familiar.
    You know, to me, the most beautiful things in all the universe, are the most mysterious.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

When I visited Disneyland Paris last summer I saw a Peter Pan show that featured both Captain Hook and Smee as face characters. They looked and sounded fantastic! Upon seeing it I found it such a shame that we don't have them as face characters here. They should definitely add them - I think it would be a lot of fun!

• Selfie Expert

They fact that they have a live-action movie of Peter Pan makes me think it would be an obvious thing to have a face character version of Captain Hook. I mean... wasn't the movie called "Hook"? The one with Robin Williams? I supposed I could Google it, but I'm sure you all know what I'm talking about. I digress... A version from that movie would look fantastic! It doesn't seem like it'd be all that difficult, either.

• Queen Elsa

But Hook wasn't done by Disney it was done by Tri Star and there verison is alot different then Disney's

• -

I think it's really stupid that they have any of the human characters wear a mask (unless the character is themselves masked). That is what the make-up/casting department is for. In my opinion, this is the lazy way out.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Just drawn that way

I think Hook would be a good addition to the face characters......I mean it works for the MAd Hatter, the three good faeries and a few others.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by toonaspie View Post
    Hook and Smee were both face characters in the "Dream Along with Mickey" castle show. Upon closer inspection of the vids it seems that they use some form of putty mask to get the big chin and big nose and the other facial features to show while as a face character. You can't really notice it unless you're really upclose. If they work on improving those details, they might get Hook as a face character to work.

I also think however since some of the character voices are lip-synced in the shows that Captain Hook is a face character in, it might be difficult to get an actor to match his voice as a face character or come to close to it anyway.
    Never have I gone to the parks and thought that the characters had voices that were spot on. I think if the actor looks like the part, then the voice is secondary, or even less important than that. If they have the demeanor, the movement, and the appearance, then kids and adults would be happy with the character. It shouldn't be that hard to find a handful of men who would like to be Smee and/or Hook. Prosthetic enhancements for the nose and chin are fine and work well with the Hatter, so giving them to Hook should be a cinch.

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by toonaspie View Post

It might be annoying for almost any actor to try and maintain Smee's unusual voice all day, but Hook's could be accomplished by many actors whose voices can range from an annoyed roar ("Blaaaaaaast!") to a high, almost effeminate, haughtiness. Theatricality and volume would go a long way for any Hook. (Think Jon Lovitz's Master Thespian or Mr. Smith in the old TV series, "Lost in Space.")

I like Smee, but I think he's an unnecessary sidekick in Disneyland.
    If Cruella can roam around Disneyland alone, so can Hook.

I imagine him:

--constantly trying recruit bad kids who could become good pirates,

--heckling Main Street musical groups that lack accordions,

--riding the train from Main St. to New Orleans Square,

--appearing in the Dream Suite balcony and imploring everyone below to be quiet so he can nap, then coming down the stairs to confront any
    non-scary looking guests who dare yell back, and then saying he likes their spirit & asking if they would the like to become pirates,

--and (rarely, but memorably) popping into the most desolate part of the cave in POTC holding a lantern and yelling at guests on boats.
    There's a place to the port side of guests' boats when entering the main POTC ride building that is (or used to be) a nice nook employees could easily enter and have plenty of standing room. A face character could do this more easily than a masked one. There is (or was) also space there where an assistant character guide could (in a black cloak) be mostly unseen by guests.

And how fun would it be:

--to run into a loud Captian Hook in one of the pirate-themed caves on Tom Sawyer's Island,

--or hear a dramatic battle of wits (Insults galore!) between Captain Hook & Jack Sparrow,

--or see Tink chase him out of her meet & greet area after he attempts to learn where Pan is?

If Hook verbally confronted Peter Pan or if they had a sword vs. knife fight, would you
    really root for Pan?

Maybe about eight kids decked out as pirates ($$$!, followed by their parents) could,
    on special unannounced special occasions, tag along with Hook for his "spontaneous" mischievous misadventures. They could celebrate being bad!

--Tom Sinsky

Quote Originally Posted by ohmyjustin View Post
    Never have I gone to the parks and thought that the characters had voices that were spot on. I think if the actor looks like the part, then the voice is secondary, or even less important than that. If they have the demeanor, the movement, and the appearance, then kids and adults would be happy with the character. It shouldn't be that hard to find a handful of men who would like to be Smee and/or Hook. Prosthetic enhancements for the nose and chin are fine and work well with the Hatter, so giving them to Hook should be a cinch.
    Arrrr! I'll completely agree if you'll just exclude Smee.
    Last edited by jcruise86; 09-18-2012 at 05:25 PM. Reason: To appear slightly less stupid.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast