Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Re: Space Shuttle to fly over Disneyland

Quote Originally Posted by MarenBoBarren View Post
    Perfect I'm getting there for my trip on Friday morning so I'll hopefully be able to get a good photo of it! Hopefully I don't forget

Hehe people are going to begin to wonder what the crazy girl who keeps looking up at the sky is looking at
    I don't think you'll be the only one looking up in the parks that day. And I would think that a 747, let alone a 747 with the space shuttle attached to it, flying at an altitude of 2-3 thousand feet would be something that few people could ignore anyways.

Bummer. It looks like it will be coming in off the ocean in Huntington Beach which means I will miss it. Hopefully someone takes pictures and or video.

May be even lower. Endeavour is flying at an altitude of 1500 ft, weather and FAA approval pending, on it's way west. Bay Lake at WDW got buzzed about an hour ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Giant Panda View Post
    Although I'm sure there will be some good ones, it would be better if they could announce good set-up locations so as to get a shot of the shuttle with a great background and/or foreground (like Space Mountain, for example). Unfortunately that's the same information some nut with a Stinger would find helpful ...
    Here's the WDW version:
    http://pbs.twimg.com/media/A3KF6XlCEAEuKLe.jpg

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by Mojave View Post
    Also interesting will be seeing a 727 fly again. I haven't seen one of those in while. Is it really going to be a 727?

In any case, I hope we see lots of pictures and videos this Friday!
    It is a C-9 jet actually, not a 727. Somewhat similar shape, but kind of smaller.

Quote Originally Posted by fifthrider View Post
    This is a really cool nod ( assuming this is being intentionally flown by Disneyland ) to Walt and his contribution to the space effort back in the 50's. A lot of people don't know Walt's direct contribution by coming up with short films that imagined space travel, ultimately gaining public favor in there even being a space program, otherwise it may have ended before it began. Making this last flight over Disneyland is something I see as "thank you" to him.
    It is indeed an intentional flyover. Last month when the jets were flying around the LA area they were scouting for locations and routes to fly the Shuttle over.

And yes, they could be as low as 1500 ft. You won't be able to ignore this. A 747 at that low altitude is pretty loud. It will be the call of Air Traffic Control as to what altitude they are at and may change all along the route. They will probably be routing other traffic around the Shuttle as much as possible though as this is quite the special sort of thing.

Really guys, this is once in a lifetime, especially as this is the last time ever that they will be doing this. Once it touches down at LAX, that's it.

To give you an idea, it is going to look about like it did over DC:
    Space Shuttle Discovery Flyover, Washington DC - YouTube

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Future Imagineer!!

Awesome video! Thanks for sharing it I'm super excited to see it!

Keeper of the Dynamite Goat on RCMC

• Closed Account

Man, I miss the Shuttle program...

• Selfie Expert

I'm going to try my best to make a last minute trip to DL just to see this!! Not sure if it'll be possible, but sounds like it will be an amazing experience!!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    Man, I miss the Shuttle program...
    Alas, I do not.

The Space Shuttle was one of the worst conceived, most expensive, unsafe and inefficient launch vehicles ever built. It clearly defines the meaning of the word failure.

Looking at it in a cynical way it did fulfill it's actual intended primary purpose: to provide lucrative government contracts for the air and space industry.

Former NASA director Griffin has stated that if we had kept the old, 1950s/60s technology based Saturn launch vehicle we could have had six launches a year (at the same operating cost of the shuttle -- not including the shuttle's obscene R&D costs) plus retained our heavy lift capability that we lost with the shuttle.

The shuttle just flew over downtown Houston, where I work. I'll be @ DLR on Sunday, so i'll miss the Friday flyover... but at least I was here for this one

Name:  flyover.jpeg
Views: 708
Size:  40.3 KB

sorry for the dark pic...

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by badger hollow View Post
    Alas, I do not.
    You and I will have to agree to disagree.

• Disneyland PAP

Thanks for the video link, mycroft16!

I had originally planned to head to El Segundo near LAX to take pictures of the Endeavour's landing. But I'm way more familiar with Disneyland than I am of Imperial Avenue!

Last night, NBC posted a list of local spots the flight will flyover, and this morning ABC7 ran an item on it.

Here's the list from NBC LA's site:

Piggybacking a 747, Endeavour will offer California a series of dramatic low-elevation flyovers when it enters the LA basin sometime after 10 a.m. Friday.
    The massive history-maker will fly over the following locations before landing at LAX:

• California Science Center
    • Disneyland
    • Getty Museum
    • Griffith Observatory
    • Huntington Beach
    • JPL
    • LA City Hall
    • Queen Mary
    • Santa Monica Pier
    • Space X in Hawthorne
    • Universal Studios

• Pilot EdForceOne

telling you guys.. make time for this. The areas where they intentionally fly over is quite a sight. The low passes are quite impressive, and when you combine them with your favorite sites.. its perfect.

---------- Post added 09-19-2012 at 01:18 PM ----------

Here's a video disney posted from the flyover in FL

Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by badger hollow View Post
    Alas, I do not.

The Space Shuttle was one of the worst conceived, most expensive, unsafe and inefficient launch vehicles ever built. It clearly defines the meaning of the word failure.

Looking at it in a cynical way it did fulfill it's actual intended primary purpose: to provide lucrative government contracts for the air and space industry.

Former NASA director Griffin has stated that if we had kept the old, 1950s/60s technology based Saturn launch vehicle we could have had six launches a year (at the same operating cost of the shuttle -- not including the shuttle's obscene R&D costs) plus retained our heavy lift capability that we lost with the shuttle.
    It isn't always about dollars and cents and some things can't be measured in hard value. Somethings are more ephemeral than that.
    Dr. Neil deGrasse Tyson's remarks at Senate Commerce hearing on the future of our space program - YouTube

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Infinitized!

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Boy View Post
    The Last Shuttle making it's last flight, ever.

Not unless some guys working for Hugo Drax steal it...
    Last edited by Barbossa; 09-19-2012 at 12:47 PM.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast