Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

•   

Re: Space Shuttle to fly over Disneyland

Zing! I love a good Hugo Drax reference. The world is too devoid of those.

I'm sort of with Badger on this one. I mean, it was "fun" and all, and yeah there's a lot of "genius" people who laud the space program but ultimately we're spending a ton of money on... the vacuum of space. Maybe we should focus on solving our problems here before we get the bravado to think we should colonize somewhere else. Looking through the news every day, I'm not sure we earned that right. The satellite technology and other advancements that came from NASA and DARPA have been pretty beneficial but I just don't need moonrocks as much as other higher priorities in our current economy.
    Your first, your last, your only defense against the scum of the ethereal plane.

<a href=http://westcoastbusters.com/ target=_blank>http://westcoastbusters.com/</a>

• Just drawn that way

Where do you think is a good place to be Friday? Parking structure? main entrance? I want a good place to take pictures.

• Disneyland PAP

^ My ideal photo would have to include Sleeping Beauty's Castle. My initial thought is to arrive to the park early and see if I can find any camera stations set up by Disney themselves. I saw the Disney's WDW video someone posted and if Disney took the time to shot it from several locations to quickly edit and post hours later, Disneyland must have a similar plan.

• "I don't like the color"

Quote Originally Posted by Barbossa View Post
    Not unless some guys working for Hugo Drax steel it...
    Nice Bond / Moonraker reference!!!

Name:  Drax.jpg
Views: 543
Size:  7.0 KB

Mr. Bond, you persist in defying my efforts to provide an amusing death for you
    No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by fifthrider View Post
    ultimately we're spending a ton of money on... the vacuum of space.
    Um...you really think the money disappeared? Just where do you think the money goes?

The money is spent HERE, to pay the salaries of the scientists and engineers and mechanics and others who worked in the space program. Tens of thousands of people. The money was then used to feed, clothe, house and educate their families.

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    Um...you really think the money disappeared? Just where do you think the money goes?

The money is spent HERE, to pay the salaries of the scientists and engineers and mechanics and others who worked in the space program. Tens of thousands of people. The money was then used to feed, clothe, house and educate their families.
    Not to mention the innovations that all these scientists and engineers come up with are used here on Earth and sold here on Earth and benefit us here on Earth. The list of benefits is quite massive actually.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    The list of benefits is quite massive actually.
    I doubt it.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have a cell phone call to make. I need to order a new GPS.

Actually, there is quite a bit of scientific research that has impacted science here on Earth. Right now they are actually testing osteoporosis and the effects some pharmaceuticals have on the condition. They also test the effects of UV rays on the human body as well as hundreds of others.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• Nic

I'd love for someone to get a shot of the space shuttle with Tomorrowland in the picture.
    Fear of the unknown.

They are afraid of new ideas.

They are loaded with prejudices, not based upon any reality, but based on if something is new, I reject it immediately because its frightening to me. What they do instead is just stay with the familiar.
    You know, to me, the most beautiful things in all the universe, are the most mysterious.

• Shubisha

The shuttle flew right over the Magic Kingdom this morning, side little tidbit. Leaving WDW and heading for DL.

• Disneyland Man

I appreciate the nod to Walt Disney's involvement is the space program. It really was the Disneyland TV show Tomorrowland episodes "Man In Space" and "Man And The Moon", made by Ward Kimball, which visualized how it could be done to such an impressive degree (by the actual German rocket scientists who had it figured out) that President Eisnehower requested copies for his cabinet to see, and convinced congress that it could be done; giving John Kennedy the facts to back up his great challenge to our country, the advancement of modern technologies, and the very prospect of FUTURE. A wave back from the wing of the Shuttle is a nice touch.

"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."
    - - Walt Disney

• My Children's Father

Quote Originally Posted by fifthrider View Post
    Zing! I love a good Hugo Drax reference. The world is too devoid of those.

I'm sort of with Badger on this one. I mean, it was "fun" and all, and yeah there's a lot of "genius" people who laud the space program but ultimately we're spending a ton of money on... the vacuum of space. Maybe we should focus on solving our problems here before we get the bravado to think we should colonize somewhere else. Looking through the news every day, I'm not sure we earned that right. The satellite technology and other advancements that came from NASA and DARPA have been pretty beneficial but I just don't need moonrocks as much as other higher priorities in our current economy.
    I thank God that the leaders of Spain, Portugal, France, Russia, and England did not wait for their countries to be "problem free" before setting up shop in the New World. When the herd moves at the speed of the back of the herd, the wolves get fat.

The shuttle program was certainly better than nothing, which is what we have now (RC probes on Mars not withstanding). Thank you, powers that be (for now).

I will be there on Friday.
    "She's taking everything. She's taking the house, she's taking the kid, she's taking the dog. IT'S NOT EVEN HER DOG. IT'S MY DOG! SHE'S TAKING . . . MY DOG!"
    - Ron Livingston, "Band of Brothers"

• We Go On.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    I doubt it.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have a cell phone call to make. I need to order a new GPS.
    Well played, sir...well done.

Quote Originally Posted by WDITrent View Post
    Well played, sir...well done.
    It has been said "...for every dollar we spend on the space program, the U.S. economy receives about $8 of economic benefit. Space exploration can also serve as a stimulus for children to enter the fields of science and engineering."

Having said that, I cannot wait to see all the awesome pictures of the Shuttle that will be taken from Disneyland.

On a side note: I miss the shuttle dearly and think it was a huge mistake to end her life in her 30's, Endeavor had many more years left in her. How sad to think the once greatest space exploring nation on earth will not launch it's own manned space vehicle till at least the end of the this decade. How sad.

If anyone wants to watch a interesting video on how small the U.S Space budget is and how the space program started, please check out these videos. Just to give people some perspective, the 850 billion dollar bank bailout, was a greater sum of money, then the ENTIRE 50 year running budget of Nasa. The Nasa budget is less then 4/10ths of 1 cent of ever tax dollar.

Neil deGrasse Tyson - We Stopped Dreaming (Episode 1) - YouTube

We Stopped Dreaming (Episode 2) - A New Perspective - YouTube

• My Children's Father

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    Bummer. It looks like it will be coming in off the ocean in Huntington Beach which means I will miss it. Hopefully someone takes pictures and or video.
    On what are you basing this? Have you seen flightplans, or been told by DL photographers which direction it would be coming from? If I knew from which direction it would be coming, it would improve my chances of getting a good shot with desirable framing ......
    "She's taking everything. She's taking the house, she's taking the kid, she's taking the dog. IT'S NOT EVEN HER DOG. IT'S MY DOG! SHE'S TAKING . . . MY DOG!"
    - Ron Livingston, "Band of Brothers"

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast