Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

• Thrill Seeker

Re: Space Shuttle to fly over Disneyland

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    Since they are all parallel to each other, planes take off and land heading west about 95% of the time.

At night, apparently there are more landings from the east, for noise abatement.
    The shuttle is supposed to come in on the south runway. If going to LAX then Aviation (road, street?) seems to be the best option if they let you line up in that poor excuse for a sidewalk. No parking close, so walking will be in your future. There is an official viewing location on Imperial hwy, but according to maps it is close to the end of the runway... eh.

I am still torn about where to go! Now that the park next to In-N-Out is out of the question DL is looking better.

• Disneyland PAP

Just learned about this flight path posted on a local news site. According to this flight path, it really doesn't look like it's flying over Disneyland. Rather it looks like folks inside the parks will see it cruising behind Sleeping Beauty Castle if you're on Main Street U.S.A. before gliding to the east (Tomorrowland/Hollywood Land) side of them. It also makes you really envious of those watching from Universal Studios!

Name:  route1.jpg
Views: 1377
Size:  47.7 KB

Exclusive: Endeavour’s Secret Flight Plan Revealed « CBS Los Angeles

Quote Originally Posted by CAspace View Post
    If the NASA budget was not so small relative to the overall national budget, then perhaps the shuttle would not have "Squandered" all the money as you suggest.

The Shuttle was the only vehicle in the world which was able to ferry and build the Space Station. To repair and upgrade the Hubble program. To provide a platform for so many years to conduct science in space.

While I was surely disappointed at the loss of the Apollo program and of the Moon landing programs, the NASA budget was just not large enough to support both Apollo and Shuttle. Sure we can debate if it had been the best decision to cancel Apollo and move to Shuttle, frankly I would have liked to see both of them have continued. But to lose Shuttle now and have no replacement in the wings, except for the surely to be canceled SLS, I think we are on a National Suicide mission of our Space Program and it is horrible. Not to mention the hundreds and thousands of Jobs that have been lost due to the cancelation of the Shuttle. One bank Bailout was more costly then the entire budget for NASA for over 50 years!

Have you watched Dr. Tysons youtube video yet? What did you think?
    Neil deGrasse Tyson - We Stopped Dreaming (Episode 1) - YouTube
    We Stopped Dreaming (Episode 2) - A New Perspective - YouTube
    The money spent on the shuttle was squandered because it was a bad launch vehicle. NASA's budget is irrelevant to the "squandered" aspect. The space shuttle provided nothing that other existing launch vehicles could already provide, but it was not nearly as good at it.

The shuttle was the only vehicle that could build the space station because it was the only launch vehicle we had. The Saturn V had a much larger cargo capacity, was more reliable, cost less per launch, cost less per kg into space, and could be launched more frequently. The space station would have taken less time and money to build using a good launch vehicle.

But the space station itself was only approved and built to justify the limited capabilities of the space shuttle. The shuttle could haul modest amounts of cargo to near earth orbit, and that was it. The Saturn launch vehicle could haul much larger amounts of cargo to near earth orbit with more frequent trips, less risk to the astronauts, and at a fraction of the cost. Only with the Saturn we weren't just limited to near Earth orbit.

And yes I have seen Neil deGrasse Tyson's videos, but they are unrelated to what I am saying. I am not saying we should not spend money on the space program (manned or otherwise), I am saying the space shuttle was such a poorly designed launch vehicle system that it was partly responsible for the very sad state our space program is currently in.
    Last edited by badger hollow; 09-21-2012 at 07:58 AM. Reason: fixed typo

• I'm not really here

Absolutely true badger hollow. As cool as the shuttle was, it never lived up to its promise as it was almost prohibitively expensive to launch it. They were supposed to to 6 missions every year. Yeah, that never happened. What is coming in the next few years is vastly superior and will redefine the space program. And the research they are doing now will redefine it again.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by badger hollow View Post
    The money spent on the shuttle was squandered because it was a bad launch vehicle. NASA's budget is irrelevant to the "squandered" aspect. The space shuttle provided nothing that other existing launch vehicles could already provide, but it was not nearly as good at it.

The shuttle was the only vehicle that could build the space station because it was the only launch vehicle we had. The Saturn V had a much larger cargo capacity, was more reliable, cost less per launch, cost less per kg into space, and could be launched more frequently. The space station would have taken less time and money to build using a good launch vehicle.

But the space station itself was only approved and built to justify the limited capabilities of the space shuttle. The shuttle could haul modest amounts of cargo to near earth orbit, and that was it. The Saturn launch vehicle could haul much larger amounts of cargo to near earth orbit with more frequent trips, less risk to the astronauts, and at a fraction of the cost. Only with the Saturn we weren't just limited to near Earth orbit.

And yes I have seen Neil deGrasse Tyson's videos, but they are unrelated to what I am saying. I am not saying we should not spend money on the space program (manned or otherwise), I am saying the space shuttle was such a poorly designed launch vehicle system that it was partly responsible for the very sad state our space program is currently in.

The original plan was to build a big space station. One inhabited by 100-150 people. They then needed a way to get there and that's where the space shuttle came in. The space station was cancelled and we were left with a vehicle with no place to go. The original estimates were 5 million per launch and it ended up being closer to $500 million. Not much left for exploration after that bill.

Good news, and it comes from the private sector. SpaceX is the future of space for the United States. They have a proven launch vehicle and a capsule that is in the process of being man rated. They send their first re supply to the ISS around Oct 6th under the COTS program. A heavy launch vehicle is already planned and NASA should be contracting with SpaceX for future manned space flight as long as things go according to plan. They can do it cheaper than anyone out there right now.

• ******** Gold Member

I'm GREATLY looking forward to seeing everyone's photos, since I can't be there in person today!!!!! Enjoy the live view extra much for us who can't be there!

• Still Dizzy

On the one hand, YAY Disney for noting this special day with a sign. On the other hand, spell check much?

Photo by diningindisney • Instagram

• ******** Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Juni View Post
    On the one hand, YAY Disney for noting this special day with a sign. On the other hand, spell check much?

Photo by diningindisney • Instagram

What is spelled wrong? They used an unusual font, but I must have missed the error.

Just flew over the S.F. Bay Area a few minutes ago. I got these pictures outside my work in Campbell.

•   
    • Minion

Endeavour the signs says endeavor

• ******** Gold Member

Awesome! Thank you for sharing your photos, Low Saturn

---------- Post added 09-21-2012 at 11:16 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by biggsworth View Post
    Endeavour the signs says endeavor
    ah NASA used the British spelling (description on wikipedia). I didn't know that and have been using the English spelling. A good day is when I learn something ~ Thanks!

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by ChEars! View Post
    Awesome! Thank you for sharing your photos, Low Saturn

---------- Post added 09-21-2012 at 11:16 AM ----------

ah NASA used the British spelling (description on wikipedia). I didn't know that and have been using the English spelling. A good day is when I learn something ~ Thanks!

and Disney used the cost savings initiative to save the ink they would have used on that "U" lol I kid I kid happy friday everyone

• Senior Minion

They must be trying to level the spelling-karma caused by this:

"With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    They must be trying to level the spelling-karma caused by this:

and I for an I as I always say or a U for an E in this case......

• Nic

There it goes!
    Fear of the unknown.

They are afraid of new ideas.

They are loaded with prejudices, not based upon any reality, but based on… if something is new, I reject it immediately because it’s frightening to me. What they do instead is just stay with the familiar.
    You know, to me, the most beautiful things in all the universe, are the most mysterious.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast