Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: NextGen in DL

Re: NextGen in DL

Quote Originally Posted by toonaspie View Post
    As for the rest of NextGen, I can see how MAYBE ride reservations might be a necessity at WDW where most of the guests are tourists that are required to plan ahead their vacations anyway. I don't see this going over so well at DLR, where it's mostly locals and AP holders who will frequent to DL on a whim.
    It could work beautifully with the AP crowd. The system is designed to work with mobile devices, so that anything can be reserved - from ride times to ordering your next meal to when you meet a character - from a smart phone at any time or any location; whether you be at work in the morning planning an evening trip, or are already in line for Space Mountain but wanting to do Pirates next.

Really, this isn't much different from the current Fastpass system, except you will no longer have to actually walk to the ride to get the Fastpass. Hopefully this will supersede the current Fastpass system, the NextGen of it, if you will...
    Last edited by choco choco; 09-19-2012 at 07:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by choco choco View Post
    It could work beautifully with the AP crowd. The system is designed to work with mobile devices, so that anything can be reserved - from ride times to ordering your next meal to when you meet a character - from a smart phone at any time or any location; whether you be at work in the morning planning an evening trip, or are already in line for Space Mountain but wanting to do Pirates next.

Really, this isn't much different from the current Fastpass system, except you will no longer have to actually walk to the ride to get the Fastpass. Hopefully this will supersede the current Fastpass system, the NextGen of it, if you will...

That would be cool. I Hope at the very least they significantly tweak the system when they bring it to Anaheim. I just dont want DL becoming a place where you HAVE to reserve everything months in advance like they say you do at WDW. The dining plan is currently swamped...I dont want rides to go down that road!! Perhaps make it so you can only reserve a few days prior to your visit? And save some spots in the system for day-of smartphone reservations like you suggested.
    In the quest for quality, I have no problem with the characters footing the bill.

• Minion

Re: interactive queues. Indiana Jones can already be considered interactive. Does Big Thunder need one? Haunted Mansion at DLR? Probably not. But should the awfully boring queue for Space Mountain have one? You bet. Take the suffering indoors and give them something to do while they wait for 50-80 minutes. Submarines, Soarin', Midway Mania, etc. could all use a queue that keeps the guest involved rather than walking through switchbacks.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, take in the sights and stuff. But if you've done that and you still have another 20 minutes to go, a two minute game could really alleviate some pain. Just something to make people forget they're in a line and have them remember that they're at the Happiest Place on Earth.

• Disney Fan 4 Life

Great, more smart phone technology. But what about those who do not have one nor plan to? SOL. Even when I went for only one or two days a year, I never liked planning my day at Disneyland. And that would mean priority is given to those who plan over those who do not or cannot. It really makes it a have or have not issue doesn't it. How long to the day when we all start making reservations throughout the day on the off chance we want to ride that ride, thus taking spots that may or may not be used. Maybe even on days when we end up not going, say you decide to spend the afternoon at the hotel swimming rather then in the park. More time slots someone else does not get. Seems a bit much to me, and I do not look forward to it.
    Here You Leave Today and Enter the World of Yesterday, Tomorrow, and Fantasy.

“To all who come to this happy place; welcome. Disneyland is your land. Here age relives fond memories of the past...and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams and the hard facts that have created America...with the hope that it will be a source of joy and inspiration to all the world.” - Walt Disney, Disneyland Opening Day Speech 1955

View my new Budget Disney Blog here: http://budgetdisneylandresort.blogspot.com/

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by Acpisme View Post
    [FONT=comic sans ms]Great, more smart phone technology. But what about those who do not have one nor plan to? SOL
    they will use kiosks for people who want to check their schedule. the system is also a card at this point... nothing about your smartphone except for the additions they've made so far such as making ADRs online and seeing wait times online. Both things you can already do via phone or locally without a smartphone.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Minion

Yeah, I'm going to wait until this is actually implemented before raising a stink about it. It could be a disaster or it could be a hit, YOU don't know...

If you would have told me that Disney was making ears that lit up and wanted them to surround the Rivers of America during Fantasmic, I'd have scoffed at that too. Having seen them with almost 100% adoption rate during the AP preview, it was amazing...

Change is not ALWAYS a bad thing.

I dunno the whole thing just makes me feel like cattle, go here, now go there..yes I get to pick but seriously whatever happened to spontaneity, the deisre to head over to Indiana Jones or stop off at the POC if I choose or better yet the what do you guys feeling like doing next over lunch discussion. I don't like the idea of having to make reservations before I come to determine everything I am going to do. I certainly don't like disclosing my information for technology sake..feels very restricitve of my freedoms. And if it's voluntary then hey I am fine..as long as I am not expected to participate, if it's an option and people have a choice then it's all good. I just don't want to feel like I have to do this in order for Disney to accomodate more guests. And even better if I am allowed to use some, all or none of the system.

• keh!

I can't wait to be told when I should buy a churro and then have a churro character on an lcd screen at the cart wave hello to me.

• -

Great, more smart phone technology. But what about those who do not have one nor plan to? SOL.
    What about people who do not have indoor plumming? Should Disney provide outhouses for people who are not use to flush toilets to use?

While this may seem like an extreme example, it shows that Disney really needs to be at the cutting edge of technology. Smartphones are the future in cellular devices with many more being produced each year than analogue phones. It only make sense that Disney would try to incorporate this into whatever new system that they put in the park.

How long to the day when we all start making reservations throughout the day on the off chance we want to ride that ride, thus taking spots that may or may not be used. Maybe even on days when we end up not going, say you decide to spend the afternoon at the hotel swimming rather then in the park. More time slots someone else does not get. Seems a bit much to me, and I do not look forward to it.
    This will have the same impact as people who get a fastpass for a ride and never end up using it. There probably won't be that much of a noticeable impact.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Just drawn that way

I thought Walt wanted us to step into Disneyland and forget the outside world.......a place where family could be together.
    I know that has lost meaning today.....sad really. I hate that being a family now means...no interaction with real people or real things around them, just electronics. oh well, I am just an old soul in a new world. *le sigh*

• Minion

From what I've ehard about NextGen, I don't like it at all. At the same time, NextGen is more forced on WDW right now. If it comes to Disneyland, hopefully it will be in a different way, i.e. no reservations for Fastpasses. For now I think everyone should just wait and see. If we all hate it by then, I say we all go and complain, like we always do when we don't like something, LOL!

• -

Quote Originally Posted by PetiteMortKvsh View Post
    I thought Walt wanted us to step into Disneyland and forget the outside world.......a place where family could be together.
    I know that has lost meaning today.....sad really. I hate that being a family now means...no interaction with real people or real things around them, just electronics. oh well, I am just an old soul in a new world. *le sigh*
    Walt was also a fan of technology: Monorail, Carousel of Progress, Progress City, Peoplemover, Bathroom of Tomorrow, House of the Future...

This may have been something that he would have enjoyed for the novelty of it.

Quote Originally Posted by jasmineray View Post
    If it comes to Disneyland, hopefully it will be in a different way, i.e. no reservations for Fastpasses.
    What I find ironic about this thread is that in other threads about enforcing fastpass times/refining the system people are always saying that they wish the fastpass machines would allow you to select the time that you want the fastpass for. This system would do just that.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Just drawn that way

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    Walt was also a fan of technology: Monorail, Carousel of Progress, Progress City, Peoplemover, Bathroom of Tomorrow, House of the Future...

This may have been something that he would have enjoyed for the novelty of it.
    True but I don't he ever figured people would have cell phones that contain the internet, movies and everything else that people now a days can't live without. (most people)

• -

Quote Originally Posted by PetiteMortKvsh View Post
    True but I don't he ever figured people would have cell phones that contain the internet, movies and everything else that people now a days can't live without. (most people)
    While that may be true, if monorails weren't invented until after his death, the argument could be made that he couldn't have envisioned those either.

It's not that he couldn't predict that cell phones would exist in modern times, it is whether he would embrace and utilize the new technology. Going by examples of technological leaps and futuristic concepts that he embraced during his lifetime, I think there is a good bet that he may have been very receptive of the idea of using smartphones in some way had the technology existed while he was around.

• Just drawn that way

True, good point Calsig31!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast