Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: NextGen in DL

Re: NextGen in DL

If people make a reservation on NextGen and don't show up, it'll just make the stand-by line move a little faster.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Walt may have embraced smart phone technology if he was aware of its existence and he may have utilized it, but that still doesn't mean he would have embraced the idea of Next Gen. It is obvious that Walt had no problem of simple line queues, consisting of minimal theming and chain-link switchbacks just sitting there out in the hit open sun. If Walt felt that the line experience was so important he would have put more emphasis in creating elaborately themed and interactive lines. If this was so important he would have developed a line-cutting system such as fast pass when he was alive. The fact is that guests in his day had a lot more patience than guests do now, so this emphasis on developing enhanced queues was not important to him.

So who knows what he would have done with it. Maybe he would have used it only for restaurant reservations. Or maybe he would have stations set up around the park where if you scanned it you would get a call from a certain character, of a custom made movie would pop up, or it would download a game or whatever.

So while he would no doubt have at least been entrigued by the technology, no one knows how he may have used it. And I doubt he would have used it in the way the modern TWDC wants to use it today.

Quote Originally Posted by JCSkipr79 View Post
    According to Al's article, the Big Brother program hatched in the swamps of Orlando, NEXT GEN/Fastpass Plus, WILL be comming to Walt's Original MK in about two years. Folks, I will say this. The day Anaheim allows TDO to dictate when and where we ride OUR attractions replete with TV screens, computer games, and daycare center games in highly themed queues, is the day we lose DL............
    What's "TDO" please?

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    Walt may have embraced smart phone technology if he was aware of its existence and he may have utilized it, but that still doesn't mean he would have embraced the idea of Next Gen. It is obvious that Walt had no problem of simple line queues, consisting of minimal theming and chain-link switchbacks just sitting there out in the hit open sun. If Walt felt that the line experience was so important he would have put more emphasis in creating elaborately themed and interactive lines. If this was so important he would have developed a line-cutting system such as fast pass when he was alive. The fact is that guests in his day had a lot more patience than guests do now, so this emphasis on developing enhanced queues was not important to him.
    I don't have facts and figures, but I'm willing to bargain that I don't think anyone, including Walt, expected Disneyland to have half hour waits for Fantasyland rides, much less 80 minute waits on other rides until they were made. Maybe "the line experience" wasn't important because there wasn't as big of one back then.

•   
    • Artistic integrity

• Insomniac

Quote Originally Posted by Kat95242 View Post
    What's "TDO" please?
    TDO = Team Disney Orlando... Aka the people/ organization in charge of Walt Disney World Resort.
    Check out my Disney inspired creations.

https://picasaweb.google.com/110319393135337100862

•   
    • Artistic integrity

Quote Originally Posted by Kat95242 View Post
    What's "TDO" please?
    Team Disney Orlando
    A 'take' on DLR's - "Team Disney Anaheim" (TDA) name.
    (The administration/executive offices for Walt Disney World)

• Just drawn that way

Quote Originally Posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post
    LOL. A little bit, right?

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Flickering Bulb View Post
    I can't wait to be told when I should buy a churro and then have a churro character on an lcd screen at the cart wave hello to me.
    ...And address you by name, all for only a $3.99 upcharge. Think how special we'll feel wearing our NextGen RFID bracelets, while the have-nots around us eat their OldGen churros in silence, Unknown and Unrecognized.

That's only the beginning.

Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln. The curtain opens. President Lincoln rises majestically from his chair... and he speaks:

"The world has never had a good definition of the word 'liberty.' The American people, just now, are much in want of one. Don't you agree, Sidney Melon, who I see is visiting today with his wife Elaine and their charming children Ruth and Sid Jr., from beautiful Sherman Oaks? We all declare for liberty. But in using the same word, we do not all mean the same thing. What constitutes the bulwark of our liberty and independence? Yes, I'm asking you, Bob and Doris Leopold of San Diego, proud Premium Passholders for the last fifteen years! Ladies and gentlemen how about that! As I was saying, it is not our frowning battlements, our bristling sea coasts. These are not our reliance against tyranny. And speaking of reliance, how about a big Disney shoutout to Fred and Ginny Sawyer of Irvine back there in the fifth row, who just announced their engagement! Congratulations from your 16th President. No, folks, our reliance is in the love of liberty, which God has planted in our bosoms...."
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    ...And address you by name, all for only a $3.99 upcharge. Think how special we'll feel wearing our NextGen RFID bracelets, while the have-nots around us eat their OldGen churros in silence, Unknown and Unrecognized.

That's only the beginning.

Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln. The curtain opens. President Lincoln rises majestically from his chair... and he speaks:

"The world has never had a good definition of the word 'liberty.' The American people, just now, are much in want of one. Don't you agree, Sidney Melon, who I see is visiting today with his wife Elaine and their charming children Ruth and Sid Jr., from beautiful Sherman Oaks? We all declare for liberty. But in using the same word, we do not all mean the same thing. What constitutes the bulwark of our liberty and independence? Yes, I'm asking you, Bob and Doris Leopold of San Diego, proud Premium Passholders for the last fifteen years! Ladies and gentlemen how about that! As I was saying, it is not our frowning battlements, our bristling sea coasts. These are not our reliance against tyranny. And speaking of reliance, how about a big Disney shoutout to Fred and Ginny Sawyer of Irvine back there in the fifth row, who just announced their engagement! Congratulations from your 16th President. No, folks, our reliance is in the love of liberty, which God has planted in our bosoms...."
    This is just about the most hilarious thing I've read about Great Moments With Mr Lincoln since someone told me their idea of adding a Jonas Brothers overlay!

• Seeker of Fun

I really don't like the idea of reserving a time for an attraction. Dinner? Yes. Space Mountain? No.
    Stockholder and Walt Disney Autograph holder!!

• Pilot EdForceOne

People need to stop thinking like ADRs and think more like 'Touring Plans'

Its my belief that the way Disney will present this to participants is like having a planned day already laid out for you.. at least for the major elements. This is why in part, things are in blocks of activities and not purely al la carte.

You pick what interests you.. and Disney will spit out a touring plan for you along with FP+ access matching that plan.

I'm pretty confident that is what the average user will see.. it be more like following a touringplans.com schedule in concept.. which many people swear by.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• -

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    Its my belief that the way Disney will present this to participants is like having a planned day already laid out for you.. at least for the major elements. This is why in part, things are in blocks of activities and not purely al la carte.

You pick what interests you.. and Disney will spit out a touring plan for you along with FP+ access matching that plan.

I'm pretty confident that is what the average user will see.. it be more like following a touringplans.com schedule in concept.. which many people swear by.
    I think this is a pretty accurate assessment. In addition, I'm sure that they will put a limit on how many attractions this can be used for in a day. I don't think the increases to wait times will be as impacted as people believe.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Nutty about Disney parks

Quote Originally Posted by scrappydawg View Post
    If people make a reservation on NextGen and don't show up, it'll just make the stand-by line move a little faster.
    We can only hope but in the end it's gonna come down to how affordable the program is and who is gonna buy. If it becomes too affordable, it could be a situation where the next time you'll be able to ride Pirates or enter Carsland would probably be January...in three years. It'll be like reserving a restaurant at WDW. It could takes years to even get into the restaurant you want, probably not at the time you want either. If it becomes too unaffordable it won't make the situation better or worst.

Poor Walt never expected the country to experience an insane overpopulation boom.
    Toonaspie: I have Asperger's. I like cartoons. Toonaspie!

• Nic

What Disney should do is limit the ride reservation to 1 E-ticket booking, or 2 C-ticket bookings per day, so you're assured you can get on your favorite ride in the park that day without a line.
    Fear of the unknown.

They are afraid of new ideas.

They are loaded with prejudices, not based upon any reality, but based onÖ if something is new, I reject it immediately because itís frightening to me. What they do instead is just stay with the familiar.
    You know, to me, the most beautiful things in all the universe, are the most mysterious.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast