Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: NextGen in DL

• -

Re: NextGen in DL

Quote Originally Posted by toonaspie View Post
    We can only hope but in the end it's gonna come down to how affordable the program is and who is gonna buy. If it becomes too affordable, it could be a situation where the next time you'll be able to ride Pirates or enter Carsland would probably be January...in three years. It'll be like reserving a restaurant at WDW. It could takes years to even get into the restaurant you want, probably not at the time you want either. If it becomes too unaffordable it won't make the situation better or worst.
    Not really. Especially if it works with the current fastpass system. There are only so many that it can give out per day. It won't make the lines any worse than they are now. Actually, they may even improve things because Disney would start enforcing fastpass times.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Disney Fan 4 Life

Frankly, I am a tad offended that you compare not having a smart phone to having an outhouse compared to indoor plumbing. In my opinion (and only MY opinion) there is nothing wrong with having a phone that is just that, a PHONE. It does not require the ability to read bar codes, access the internet, take pictures or video, or track my every movement and report it on a bevy of popular social networks. Not quite the same thing as an out house, unless of course your intention is to point out that anyone who does not embrace such advances is somehow less then someone who does.

And I find it a tad sad that this world is rapidly evolving to make such dehumanizing technology a "must have"" throughout so many parts that touch us throughout each day. I see it day in and day out, with people sucked out of life and into such an electronic world. So having the advancement of indoor plumbing, is NOT comparable to not having a smart phone.
    Here You Leave Today and Enter the World of Yesterday, Tomorrow, and Fantasy.

To all who come to this happy place; welcome. Disneyland is your land. Here age relives fond memories of the past...and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams and the hard facts that have created America...with the hope that it will be a source of joy and inspiration to all the world. - Walt Disney, Disneyland Opening Day Speech 1955

View my new Budget Disney Blog here: http://budgetdisneylandresort.blogspot.com/

• Senior Minion

Fast forward a year or two, and DLR's customers are being shilled with the old Have vs Have-Not game. Those who proudly wear their conspicuous NextGen bracelets get the personal-interaction perks, while the hoi polloi get to go fish in the cheap seats. Meanwhile Disney counts the cash streams from upcharges and SmartMickeyPhone rentals, and laughs all the way to the bank.

This isn't about what the technology could be used for. It's about what the same sharp-pencil boys who brought you bus ads on Monorails, ODV in the Court of Angels, county-fair glow crap at outrageous markups, cartoon fish in Tomorrowland and generic merch in every Buena Vista Street window will do with it.

This isn't about being upcharged for having your name stitched on your mouse ears or for a Halloween party. It's about being upcharged for everything. And having everything that isn't upcharged be demoted to an unmistakeably second-tier and lower class experience.

Bon appetit.
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 09-19-2012 at 07:21 PM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• formerly very helpful

Like many others have stated, my concern is not only for outrageous lines, but the loss of sponteneity in a Disney trip. I, for one, HATE planning out every detail of a trip. Maybe a reservation here and there, like for a dinner show or something, but that's about it. If I have to plan out everything, that will not be an improvement, to me.

Another element to consider is will most guests even be aware of this and how to fully use it? Most of the guests do not spend time on Mice Chat or other forums researching Disney theme parks. They buy their ticket and go. Even today, many do not know what Fastpass is, or how it works. So really, how many overall will be using it? And this includes after Disney's fourteen bajillion dollar advertising campaign.

However, I haven't seen the actual system, so I'll reserve judgment, and not panic.

• Embrace the kitsch!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Fast forward a year or two, and DLR's customers are being shilled with the old Have vs Have-Not game. Those who proudly wear their conspicuous NextGen bracelets get the personal-interaction perks, while the hoi polloi get to go fish in the cheap seats. Meanwhile Disney counts the cash streams from upcharges and SmartMickeyPhone rentals, and laughs all the way to the bank.
    <nodding> Yes, just as the entire nighttime operations of the park have been altered to cater to AP's for whom Fireworks/Fantasmic is a regular ritual.

This isn't about being upcharged for having your name stitched on your mouse ears or for a Halloween party. This is about being upcharged for everything. And having everything that isn't upcharged, be demoted to an unmistakeably second-tier and lower class experience.
    Interesting take. Do you suppose they'll try to "ugly it up" somehow for those of us "losers" who don't use NextGen?
    Disneyland Historic Preservation Society
    Charter Member

• Just drawn that way

Quote Originally Posted by sbk1234 View Post
    Like many others have stated, my concern is not only for outrageous lines, but the loss of sponteneity in a Disney trip. I, for one, HATE planning out every detail of a trip. Maybe a reservation here and there, like for a dinner show or something, but that's about it. If I have to plan out everything, that will not be an improvement, to me.

Another element to consider is will most guests even be aware of this and how to fully use it? Most of the guests do not spend time on Mice Chat or other forums researching Disney theme parks. They buy their ticket and go. Even today, many do not know what Fastpass is, or how it works. So really, how many overall will be using it? And this includes after Disney's fourteen bajillion dollar advertising campaign.

However, I haven't seen the actual system, so I'll reserve judgment, and not panic.
    I'm with you, sbk1234! Plus can I schedule in the times I don't feel well...or need to take my meds?
    I too will do the wait and see. Yet, the more I read, hear and/or see about it the more I do not like it.

I feel like I have said this a million times on these boards. Disney is NOT and never has catered to the APs or locals on a daily operation. Their focus has always been the out of town crowds who stay multiple days for vacation time. The people who eat, shop, and spend large amounts of money in the park. It would only make sense to bring NextGen here. I'm surprised many are actually surprised about this news.

Do I agree with the idea of reserving ride times a both WDW and DL? Of course not. Most people don't. But there is always a meaning behind everything Disney does... and it's usually a business tactic of some sort. The longer they can keep guests inside the park, the better.

It's always about money money money

Bingo
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

This isn't about what the technology could be used for. It's about what the same sharp-pencil boys who brought you bus ads on Monorails, ODV in the Court of Angels, county-fair glow crap at outrageous markups, cartoon fish in Tomorrowland and generic merch in every Buena Vista Street window will do with it.

This isn't about being upcharged for having your name stitched on your mouse ears or for a Halloween party. It's about being upcharged for everything. And having everything that isn't upcharged be demoted to an unmistakeably second-tier and lower class experience.

Bon appetit.
    Yes, exactly this. It's a marketing scam.

I wouldn't call it a "scam", but I would call it overmarketing.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• Nic

Quote Originally Posted by Acpisme View Post
    Frankly, I am a tad offended that you compare not having a smart phone to having an outhouse compared to indoor plumbing. In my opinion (and only MY opinion) there is nothing wrong with having a phone that is just that, a PHONE. It does not require the ability to read bar codes, access the internet, take pictures or video, or track my every movement and report it on a bevy of popular social networks. Not quite the same thing as an out house, unless of course your intention is to point out that anyone who does not embrace such advances is somehow less then someone who does.

And I find it a tad sad that this world is rapidly evolving to make such dehumanizing technology a "must have"" throughout so many parts that touch us throughout each day. I see it day in and day out, with people sucked out of life and into such an electronic world. So having the advancement of indoor plumbing, is NOT comparable to not having a smart phone.
    I feel like some people don't even know how to use their phone, on their phone.
    Fear of the unknown.

They are afraid of new ideas.

They are loaded with prejudices, not based upon any reality, but based on if something is new, I reject it immediately because its frightening to me. What they do instead is just stay with the familiar.
    You know, to me, the most beautiful things in all the universe, are the most mysterious.

• Pilot EdForceOne

People should be paying attention to the FP+ Testing that has been going on.. I think it would help clarify alot of the misconceptions going on.

Here's some testimony from a poster who was selected in the last round of testing that happened this month:
    We just recieved an email to participate in fastpass+ trial during our stay! We had a choice of variety of dates during our stay (luckily one was the day we planned to be in the mk), mk was the only park option. There are two columns of ride options, you are allowed to select two rides from each side. The first column includes the mountains, Spectro magic, buzz light year space ranger spin and a princess meet and greet. The second has haunted mansion, wishes, jungle cruise, Mickey/Minnie meet and greet 3:00 paradeand dumbo. We chose haunted mansion, space mountain, thunder mountain and Mickey/Minnie meet and greet. Next they give you an option of 4 itineraries, you have choices of some that start at park opening and others that start later and go until close. Each ride has an hour window for arrival, our first is at 11:05am, last is 4:00pm! They email you a confirmation of your choices and will email you your fastpass+,
    Obviously there are tweaks and this is not the final product - but gives you perspective on the direction Disney is heading.

It's not saying 'I want to be at Space Mountain at 2pm next February 3rd'. But more along the lines of 'For Next Tuesday, I will be at the MK, and would like to prioritize A, B, C, and D attractions' - and Disney spits out an itinerary with FP+ offerings for those attractions.

I still think this will be a short leadtime selection.. possibly the last 2+ weeks before the day of type of stuff.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

I'm an IT major. Never owned a smart phone. You can tell how disadvantaged I'll be.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    People should be paying attention to the FP+ Testing that has been going on.. I think it would help clarify alot of the misconceptions going on.

Here's some testimony from a poster who was selected in the last round of testing that happened this month:

Obviously there are tweaks and this is not the final product - but gives you perspective on the direction Disney is heading.

It's not saying 'I want to be at Space Mountain at 2pm next February 3rd'. But more along the lines of 'For Next Tuesday, I will be at the MK, and would like to prioritize A, B, C, and D attractions' - and Disney spits out an itinerary with FP+ offerings for those attractions.

I still think this will be a short leadtime selection.. possibly the last 2+ weeks before the day of type of stuff.
    Gasp! Awful! Disgusting! Walt would be turning in his grave!!!

Yeah okay this doesn't sound bad at all. I'm assuming you can also get additional FP for the day, but if that's taken out entirely and you only get 4 FP+ for a single day of your vacation, I'd be bothered. It's nice to not have to worry about walking across the parks to get a pass, though.

I think many of the vacationers who come once every few years or so will be very happy with this... again, the ones Disney is catering to.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast