Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: NextGen in DL

• -

Re: NextGen in DL

Quote Originally Posted by Acpisme View Post
    Frankly, I am a tad offended that you compare not having a smart phone to having an outhouse compared to indoor plumbing. In my opinion (and only MY opinion) there is nothing wrong with having a phone that is just that, a PHONE. It does not require the ability to read bar codes, access the internet, take pictures or video, or track my every movement and report it on a bevy of popular social networks. Not quite the same thing as an out house, unless of course your intention is to point out that anyone who does not embrace such advances is somehow less then someone who does.

And I find it a tad sad that this world is rapidly evolving to make such dehumanizing technology a "must have"" throughout so many parts that touch us throughout each day. I see it day in and day out, with people sucked out of life and into such an electronic world. So having the advancement of indoor plumbing, is NOT comparable to not having a smart phone.
    I apologize if you misunderstood my post and again, I did say it was an extreme example. What I was trying to point out is that Disney should always be the industry leader of integrating new technology in to the parks. Smart phones are replacing ordinary cell phones the way CDs replaced tapes.

And there is nothing wrong with owning a plain phone. I have two cell phones. One is a smart phone with all the bells and whistles and the other is an ordinary phone with nothing fancier than a camera.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Nic

That testimony definitely eases my nerves on this subject.

I'd be eternally grateful to the Disney if they offered me NextGen on Peter Pan's Flight.
    Fear of the unknown.

They are afraid of new ideas.

They are loaded with prejudices, not based upon any reality, but based onÖ if something is new, I reject it immediately because itís frightening to me. What they do instead is just stay with the familiar.
    You know, to me, the most beautiful things in all the universe, are the most mysterious.

• Member of Baxter's Army

Quote Originally Posted by Bronco21 View Post
    TDO = Team Disney Orlando... Aka the people/ organization in charge of Walt Disney World Resort.
    AKA-some of the most incompetent people on earth outside of Congress and Wall Street.

• Nutty about Disney parks

Quote Originally Posted by HMF View Post
    AKA-some of the most incompetent people on earth outside of Congress and Wall Street.
    I wouldn't leave out Euro Disney S.C.A., you know the same people who were strongly considering building a third gate while their second gate was still struggling.

• will-o-the-whip

I can dig interactive queues. Indiana Jones is great, and Pooh at WDW is also excellent. They both have queues that now contribute to the actual ride experience. The HM is overdone, but decent enough IMO. But you can skip that interactive queue if you don't like it anyway.

The problem with this system is going to be ride reservations way in advance. It will suck out the wonderful serendipity of the theme park experience, and that's a shame.

Quote Originally Posted by HMF View Post
    Why point out a small group of politicians? All of them are quite incompetent.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• Non-Minion

pardon my ingnorance on this but...

people are making it seem as if there will be someone following you telling you what to ride on next? nobody it telling you what to ride at this specific point, it just sets up an intenerary and its up to you to follow it, right? Like, if you want to totally be spontaneous about your trip then do it. Nobody is going to stop you and MAKE you have a plan. I really don't see how Disney is taking the "spur of the moment" feeling out of it.

it seems more like DLR is saying "here's the plan for what it seems your interested in, we already provided you with digital fastpasses for a few of your rides so IF you want to use them they will already be expecting you" That doesn't mean YOU HAVE TO RIDE THIS RIDE AT THIS TIME AND THIS TIME ONLY. If you're walking by and notice a short line then by all means, ride it! then when your digital fastpass time is available...ride it again! it's not like you can get kicked out for not following your "Disney Plan"

I really think there is a mass over reaction to the idea.

As far as interactive lines go, I see it like this (and yes I know a lot of this is due to just how society has changed) you can only keep your kids attention for all but 2 minutes before they are bored, or start playing with the chains, or trying to climb under/over the railing. If you could keep them distracted while waiting in line then I say bring it.
    "If you were thinking, you wouldn't have thought that"

• MiceChat Moderator
    • ♠ Pirate Wizard ♠

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    ...And address you by name, all for only a $3.99 upcharge. Think how special we'll feel wearing our NextGen RFID bracelets, while the have-nots around us eat their OldGen churros in silence, Unknown and Unrecognized.

That's only the beginning.

Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln. The curtain opens. President Lincoln rises majestically from his chair... and he speaks:

"The world has never had a good definition of the word 'liberty.' The American people, just now, are much in want of one. Don't you agree, Sidney Melon, who I see is visiting today with his wife Elaine and their charming children Ruth and Sid Jr., from beautiful Sherman Oaks? We all declare for liberty. But in using the same word, we do not all mean the same thing. What constitutes the bulwark of our liberty and independence? Yes, I'm asking you, Bob and Doris Leopold of San Diego, proud Premium Passholders for the last fifteen years! Ladies and gentlemen how about that! As I was saying, it is not our frowning battlements, our bristling sea coasts. These are not our reliance against tyranny. And speaking of reliance, how about a big Disney shoutout to Fred and Ginny Sawyer of Irvine back there in the fifth row, who just announced their engagement! Congratulations from your 16th President. No, folks, our reliance is in the love of liberty, which God has planted in our bosoms...."
    Like the ones Mrs. Smith is so elegantly displaying in the 3rd row. You make your husband, Jason, of 10 years, proud. And most of all, you make America proud. {queue America song}

• formerly very helpful

If it's just a handful of fastpasses that you can use on a particular day at particular one-hour windows, that's fine. I can see them enforcing the fastpass windows in anticipation. My fear - hopefully irrational - is that for those who chose not to utilize this system, they won't end up with outrageous waits as a result. The earlier testimony does sound like the sponteniety will still be available. Those two things are my biggest fears about this.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by sbk1234 View Post
    My fear - hopefully irrational - is that for those who chose not to utilize this system, they won't end up with outrageous waits as a result.
    I don't think it's irrational, I think it's inevitable.

Thinking that the Disney Corporation would spend a billion dollars and years of development on a system to track and upcharge its customers, only to run it on a "take it or leave it" basis -- now, that's irrational.

You can be assured that those who don't opt in will get the second-class experience that befits their status as second-class customers. Longer queue waits will be only one of many.

Disney's beancounters are on a cruise to tap more cash streams, and within three to five years those APs who don't opt in will be howling that they're being treated like steerage.

Bon voyage.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Quote Originally Posted by ohmyjustin View Post
    I don't have facts and figures, but I'm willing to bargain that I don't think anyone, including Walt, expected Disneyland to have half hour waits for Fantasyland rides, much less 80 minute waits on other rides until they were made. Maybe "the line experience" wasn't important because there wasn't as big of one back then.
    THIS, exactly.
    I wish I had a cool signature to insert here, but I don't.

• Artistic integrity

I have to say ... It's all so easy for our society .. and the co. known as The Walt Disney Co. pull out the stops with brand new technologies that are suppose to improve our lives .. revolutionize the theme park going experience ... Well .. hold on there! Not every "fancy, new technology" invented is always for the better.

Consider this dismaying observation, for the future: Instead of taking a roll of film and having quality pics developed .. that will last decades ... to ... just constantly transferring your personal histories from one digital stream to the next. Never print anything (or do your own personal prints, which will only last about 10 years) Aren't as good as the old fashion photograph store you use to go to .... and one day .. you are going to wake up and realize .. taking pictures on your I-phone .. or having a google account who "magically" store your histories for you (better hope your internet picture hosting site never closes, or sold off!) ... degrade, or vanish for all sorts of real-world reasons .. Seems too few care to think about this one! And get all caught up in GLEE ..... thinking anything we create is always for the better.

Start rethinking about valuable photographs you never want lost .. and get them printed!

http://www.news.com.au/technology/di...-1226466893848

I put that Westworld picture in for a reason. Almost threw a Stepford Wives image in as well ............ Lets not get so carried thinking all these seemingly *FANTASTIC* technologies we create .. are always for the best!

__________________________________________________ ____________

Disney is not doing us any favors ... This NextGen thing is just another way to make them more money. If we thought Fastpass on a few selected rides was bad ... just wait. Watch the wait times on all sorts of things go up ... as we kid ourselves thinking ... mass-planning our day at a theme park .. is going to make it more fun ...and it becomes a chore - aka .. THE BORG!
    Last edited by Tomorrowland_1967; 09-21-2012 at 05:08 PM.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post
    Consider this dismaying observation, for the future: Instead of taking a roll of film and having quality pics developed .. that will last decades ... to ... just constantly transferring your personal histories from one digital stream to the next. Never print anything (or do your own personal prints, which will only last about 10 years) Aren't as good as the old fashion photograph store you use to go to .... and one day .. you are going to wake up and realize .. taking pictures on your I-phone .. or having a google account who "magically" store your histories for you (better hope your internet picture hosting site never closes, or sold off!) ... degrade, or vanish for all sorts of real-world reasons .. Seems too few care to think about this one! And get all caught up in GLEE ..... thinking anything we create is always for the better.

Start rethinking about valuable photographs you never want lost .. and get them printed!

Digital history could be lost forever due to changing devices, says expert | Information, Gadgets, Mobile Phones News & Reviews | News.com.au

I put that Westworld picture in for a reason. Almost threw a Stepford Wives image in as well ............ Lets not get so carried thinking all these seemingly *FANTASTIC* technologies we create .. are always for the best!

__________________________________________________ ____________

Disney is not doing us any favors ... This NextGen thing is just another way to make them more money. If we thought Fastpass on a few selected rides was bad ... just wait. Watch the wait times on all sorts of things go up ... as we kid ourselves thinking ... mass-planning our day at a theme park .. is going to make it more fun ...and it becomes a chore - aka .. THE BORG!
    These things are not the same at all. If you don't want to remember the fact that there is some kind of pre-planning (ie, NextGen) then don't take pictures of your NextGen passes. Take pictures of your family on the tea cups or purchase the photos after certain rides. The only aspect that is lost from NextGen seems to be the highly-valued "spontaneity" that, quite honestly, is more suited for the casual explorer who has money to burn. Yeah, it's nice and totally ideal to spend a leisurely day at the park, but if you're there once in a lifetime, you're going to want to maximize your vacation. I know that when I went to WDW, I wanted to make the most of my time so I made a document that outlined what I wanted to do, what I could skip, etc. I know I'm not the only one to do this.

And by the way, if you're saving your photos, documents, etc. on a hard drive or in the cloud or otherwise keeping them safe, then you can print them as many times as you want. So they degraded after 10 years? You have back ups.

• Artistic integrity

Quote Originally Posted by ohmyjustin View Post
    These things are not the same at all.
    They weren't meant to be. The second part was meant to serve as a metaphor. I thought it was obvious.

And that metaphor ... to tie in with NextGen ..... Is to say:

Not every new "WIZ-BANG" .. "GOING TO REVOLUTIONIZE THE WORLD ONLY FOR THE BETTER" technology that comes along is actually going to make life "better".

And by the way, if you're saving your photos, documents, etc. on a hard drive or in the cloud or otherwise keeping them safe, then you can print them as many times as you want. So they degraded after 10 years? You have back ups.
    Sure ... I can make a back up every time a new digital medium .. supersedes an old one .. everytime that happens. Which is fairly frequent. (Currently I have 35 full DVDs of pics .. and that's just 2009 to 2012) .... Or I can make a one-time quality print at a professional shop (Not amature or even semi-professional equipment at home which will only last 10 or so years) ... and not worry about those "future"-made back-ups.

(I'm learning that I'm fooling myself to put complete trust in digital mediums. I'm just asking to take the risk of loosing history. And now is the time to go back to making ACTUAL prints .. like our parents did .. and their parents ... on prints that end up lasting decades .. and not think that HP Photo paper I bought .. printing on my laser printer .. is going to "magically" produce a photo that will last 100 years - I'm just asking for trouble!)

• MaliBOOMer

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    Two parts of the Next Generation experience.

In WDW they started doing trials of reserving ride times. The people who have been part of this have gotten to reserve 4 rides times. It may not sound like a lot but pick 9 attractions you would ride in a day. Would you use 4 FPs on the 9 or more or less? 9 by the way is the average number of attractions a guest does in a single day.
    Only 9? People are slacking.
    Favorite Ride: Tower of Terror

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast