Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567

Thread: NextGen in DL

• Minion

Re: NextGen in DL

Quote Originally Posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post
    They weren't meant to be. The second part was meant to serve as a metaphor. I thought it was obvious.

And that metaphor ... to tie in with NextGen ..... Is to say:

Not every new "WIZ-BANG" .. "GOING TO REVOLUTIONIZE THE WORLD ONLY FOR THE BETTER" technology that comes along is actually going to make life "better".

Sure ... I can make a back up every time a new digital medium .. supersedes an old one .. everytime that happens. Which is fairly frequent. (Currently I have 35 full DVDs of pics .. and that's just 2009 to 2012) .... Or I can make a one-time quality print at a professional shop (Not amature or even semi-professional equipment at home which will only last 10 or so years) ... and not worry about those "future"-made back-ups.

(I'm learning that I'm fooling myself to put complete trust in digital mediums. I'm just asking to take the risk of loosing history. And now is the time to go back to making ACTUAL prints .. like our parents did .. and their parents ... on prints that end up lasting decades .. and not think that HP Photo paper I bought .. printing on my laser printer .. is going to "magically" produce a photo that will last 100 years - I'm just asking for trouble!)
    I get what a metaphor is. But the comparison just doesn't make sense. An overarching statement like saying not all new technology is good can obviously be correct depending on who you ask. But to say that because one technological advancement fails means that another also fails is wrong. There was a time when we moved from black and white photos to color, so that technological move forward must mean that when we make the move to turning every photograph into a 3-D illusion that appeared when you crossed your eyes must also be grand.

A DVD is an example of a physical medium. It'd be better if you had them backed up somewhere (your DVDs, perhaps, but it's not technically digital) as well as in the "cloud" backed by a massive corporation that guarantees the safety of your memories. If you don't trust them because they may fold, you can also back them up on an external hard drive. If your preferred option of viewing pictures is in a scrapbook or just physical photographs, then by all means print them. But what happens when your one-time quality print gets destroyed and you have no digital?

• -

Quote Originally Posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post
    If we thought Fastpass on a few selected rides was bad ... just wait. Watch the wait times on all sorts of things go up
    This doesn't make sense to me. Why would the wait times go up? This new system should work with the existing fastpass system. The only downside would be fewer standard fastpasses available. In other words, when someone reserves a Next Gen fastpass, it takes out one standard fastpass for the same time slot. However, that also means that the person with the Next Gen pass isn't going to the machine and getting a standard one for the same time. It's a wash. Nothing lost nor gained to the current wait times. the stand by customers shouldn't notice anything different.

Actually, stand by times could theoretically get a little better because another rumor about the new system is the enforcement of return times.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• formerly very helpful

After reading all these pros and cons, I'm more confused than ever.

• Embrace the kitsch!

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    This doesn't make sense to me. Why would the wait times go up? This new system should work with the existing fastpass system. The only downside would be fewer standard fastpasses available. In other words, when someone reserves a Next Gen fastpass, it takes out one standard fastpass for the same time slot. However, that also means that the person with the Next Gen pass isn't going to the machine and getting a standard one for the same time. It's a wash. Nothing lost nor gained to the current wait times. the stand by customers shouldn't notice anything different.
    A wash would still mean higher wait times than necessarily simply because of the existence of FP, but that's another debate for another thread.

Frankly, a wash would be the best case scenario. More likely, more FP's will be added to the system simply because now, there's money to be made.

Actually, stand by times could theoretically get a little better because another rumor about the new system is the enforcement of return times.
    Would be nice, but I'll believe it when I see it.
    Disneyland Historic Preservation Society
    Charter Member

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567