View Poll Results: Which Disneyland Fireworks Were You're Favorite?

Voters
99. You may not vote on this poll
  • Fantasy In The Sky

5 5.05%
  • Believe... There's Magic in the Stars

2 2.02%
  • Imagine... A Fantasy in the Sky

0 0%
  • Remember... Dreams Come True

86 86.87%
  • Magical: An Exploding Celebration In The Sky

6 6.06%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• out & about

If I Had A "Do Over" I'd Skip The So-Called "MAGICAL" Fireworks. Pft!

Recently, I had the honor and privilege of accompanying a Disneyland first-timer during a multi-day visit to the Resort. This is one of my favorite things ever. Each experience is new and exciting. In some ways it's like I get to re-live my first visit.. actually, being a California native I don't even remember my first time visiting Disneyland. So really, it's like I get to experience the Park for the first time with the first timer (that's deep). Anyway there's so much anticipation, expectations, and unknowns! It's thrilling to watch the delight and discovery.

To the point - the day needed to end with a bang. The entertainment choices are many - Fantasmic!, World of Color, or Fireworks - on this day it was decided we'd experience the nightly fireworks - "Magical."

In retrospect, Im not sure we made the correct choice. My memories of the nightly fireworks really begin with "Believe...". I was around in the earlier days for "Fantasy" but it wasn't until "Believe..." that was really hooked on the nightly fireworks. Eventually, "Remember..." rolled around (and lingered) for the 50th and the standards had been set for me. The culmination of many years of spectacular fireworks shows, the best I'd ever experienced, left a lasting impression on what a fireworks show at Disneyland ought to be.

Since the days of "Remember..." I've moved a little further away from Disneyland, got married and had a child so I don't get to the park late enough to watch the fireworks as I used to. So, when the time came for the Disneyland newbie to consult with myself and the other experienced Disneylanders in the group about which show to dedicate ourselves to for the night I relied on my cumulative experience with years of Disneyland fireworks and with much confidence suggested we eat dinner early, scope out a prime spot in the HUB and wait for over an hour for the nightly fireworks.

It pains me to say that I was sorely disappointed with Disneyland current offering - "Magical." It invoked weak emotions and lacked many of the qualities (excitement being chief among them with poor voiceover work a close second) I had come to expect in a night cap of explosions in the sky. We had just spent all day at Disneyland and "Magical" is suppose to be the best way to close out the night? I hardly think so.

This leads me to two different questions (one qualitative and one psychological)

1 - Which of Disneyland's fireworks shows, special event shows excluded (i.e. Christmas, Halloween, 4th of July, etc.) has been your favorite? Why?

2 - Is it possible that a Disneyland regular may, at times, experience greater disappointment because their expectations are an amalgamation of experiences that span of multiple years or decades instead of a single experience?

While I and the other experienced visitors didn't care too much for "Magical..." the first timer loved it citing it as the best fireworks display she'd ever seen. If only she knew!

---------- Post added 09-19-2012 at 01:17 AM ----------

Also, I love including polls in my threads. ;-)
    "There's no off position on the genius switch"

WplusK.com
    http://twitter.com/WRDinc

Re: If I Had A "Do Over" I'd Skip The So-Called "MAGICAL" Fireworks. Pft!

I agree. "Remember" is my favorite and "Magical" is ho-hum.

I like the introduction by Julie Andrews, that it highlights the lands and rides, and that it includes a MSEP segment. It's a celebration of the park rather than the films (of course it pays tribute to the films, too).

"Remember" is definitely my favorite. Last year I also had the privilege of taking a friend, who, while not a first timer, still hadn't been in many many years. He was visiting for three days; I advised him to do Fantasmic and World of Color on the first two, so when I joined him on the third day we could watch the fireworks. Luckily "Remember" was the current show. It made for the best last day possible. He even ended up crying at the finale. (So did I; it's not something either of us are afraid to admit.)

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Remember is actually my least favorite fireworks show. Because you have to be an insider to fully appreciate it and to get its full impact. If you are a first time visitor or unfamiliar with the park or its history, it's not going to make as much sense as compared to someone who knows the park more intimately. Sure it will amaze simply due to the spectacle, but the deeper understanding that gives the show its emotional impact is lost. I don't think it's fair that most guests are in on it when it excludes others from enjoying the emotional impact from knowing every detail of the park and its history.

This is why I enjoy Magical a bit more, and I voted for Fantasy in the Sky in the poll. The amazement IMO lies in the perfect choreography between the pyrotechnics and the music. There is no story to be told, just an unmatched spectacle of music and fireworks, each timed perfectly together to accentuate the emotional quality of both. Remember is also very good at doing this, but on a personal observation, I have taken first timers to the parks and to be quite honest each show, Remember or Magical, has an equally emotional impact on them. It isn't the content of the show, but simply the spectacle which amazes, and that really is the hallmark of a Disneyland fireworks show.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, of course, but I completely disagree!

My family totally enjoyed Magical for all the showings they saw during our Spring trip. My kids still ask to see the youtube video of the show on an almost nightly basis. While Fantasy in the Sky is still my all-time favorite, I don't think Magical is a bad show at all.
    "I do not like to repeat successes. I like to go on to other things." - Walt Disney

• The doctor is in

I saw the "Remember" show in 2006 and I loved every second of it. Talk about a great fireworks show. The "Magical" show I saw earlier this year and I wasn't a big fan. Not nearly as good as the previous shows I have seen.

I usually skip the fireworks, though. It is always one of those things that if I am in the area and there is a spot I will squeeze in and watch, but you can see them from practically any place in the park, and from Downtown Disney, so it doesn't really matter. Last time I saw them 3 times and only once was on purpose because I was waiting for Fantasmic and the fireworks happened right beforehand.

Isnt magical the one where Dumbo flies? That made ne cry I loved it.I'm kind of tired of seeing Remember everytime I go. But it still is the best.

• Future Imagineer!!

Favorite for the past few years has definitely been Remember. I love that it has Andrews and plays tribute to the park as it is as well as to how it was. Before that, my favorite was Believe... I do love both these shows for different reasons. While I in no way dislike Magical (it is still a gorgeous display) it is not my favorite of the options.

Keeper of the Dynamite Goat on RCMC

Hmm... I like magical, it's not as good as Remember... but Remember... is getting long in the tooth.

Magical has some great songs and good Disney feel good moments...

• Minion

But...it's magical, it's wonderful, it's beautiful, exciting! I can't honestly say that Magical features the most magical moments that I can remember in Disney films, but it certainly does have an amazing array of song selections and pyrotechnics. And Dumbo flies. If there was any place you could see an elephant fly, it'd be Disneyland. Whenever I stop to see the show, I am always reminded how amazing it is. I know people agree with me because I always hear kids cry out in amazement that they see Dumbo and Tink flying over the castle. That alone is enough to put a smile on my face.

Dumbo really makes that show so emotional

• out & about

It's interesting that, as a whole (myself included), people think "Remember..." was getting "long in the tooth", considering "Fantasy..." played from 1958 - 1999.

Anyway, our newbie really enjoyed "Magical...". Tinkerbell and Dumbo were definitely highlights for her and totally amazing to experience.
    "There's no off position on the genius switch"

WplusK.com
    http://twitter.com/WRDinc

• Hooterville, USA

"Remember" is like the MSEP. Excellence that can't be duplicated.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

•   
    • ALL DISNEY ALL THE TIME

Blog Entries

I voted for remember but I love the finnaly of
    magical " awsome"
    Im here for fun and info not be a bully! Carsland here I come

• will-o-the-whip

RDCT is simply perfect. Magical is okay, but can't hold a candle to RDCT. Magical would be better if they used the original soundtrack rather than one singer trying to cover all the songs, which, ironically, ruins the magic and nostalgia.

As for DL insiders being the only ones able to appreciate fully RDCT, I can say from people I've brought to the park as first-timers, that's just not true. Even my 76 year old mother got the idea that RDCT was paying homage to the park. I mean, you've been in the park all day going on attractions, you hear the intro to RDCT with Julie Andrews and Walt's dedication speech, you don't need to be an insider to realize the show is honoring the park's history and attractions. The second time I brought mom, she saw Magical and pronounced it nice, but definitely not RDCT. Disney should put RDCT in the summer rotation since it's the most popular fireworks show and it would coincide with the park's summer anniversary. And then put Magical into the off-season. Disney has the schedule backwards.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast