Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How do you get to the Matterhorn???

Okay, not as lame a question as it sounds:

I'm wondering if anyone has inside knowledge on how CMs (such as the climbers and Tinker Bell) get to the Matterhorn? Is there an underground access route? From where?

There is a tunnel from Astro Blasters to the Observatron which was part of the queue to the Rocket Rods. Tomorrowland Terrace clearly has underground access for the entertainers.

Anybody know about getting to the Matterhorn underground?

Which leads to the next question: Where else are there tunnels below Disneyland? Access to Tom Sawyer's Island? How do the geldings go from from the Circle D Ranch to behind the Firehouse for their trolly shift?

And, in case it's of interest, here is a picture confirming the urban legend that there's a (half) basketball court inside the top of the Matterhorn:

Name:  DSC12023.jpg
Views: 695
Size:  99.2 KB
    Last edited by vnormth; 09-20-2012 at 01:11 PM.

• Inappropriate

Re: How do you get to the Matterhorn???

OH wow. I've never really thought of this before. How DO they get in the Matterhorn?? I hope someone knows because now I'm interested as well!

Click the banner! ^^^^
    Follow us on Twitter
    @mickeymutineers and on Facebook
    Mickey Mutineer Podcast now available in the blog and on iTunes!

I think they go thru this doorway on the side of the mountain facing Alice in Wonderland. (this photo was taken during the re-paint, that's why there is trash all over)
    Name:  matterhornmud2.jpg
Views: 627
Size:  26.2 KBName:  matterhorn-mud.jpg
Views: 625
Size:  37.3 KB

I know that when Fantasyland was remodeled in 1983, designers built an underground complex that is now covered by the Pinocchio attraction and Village Haus Restaurant. The basement features offices, storerooms, a break room and an audio/ride control room. There, engineers can run the area's sound systems with computers, audio equipment and cassette tapes.

What else is underground???

• The doctor is in

I remember my mom telling me once that a majority of Disneyland's behind the scenes workings are underground.
    I wish Frozen would have never been made.

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by vnormth View Post
    Anybody know about getting to the Matterhorn underground?
    Access to Tom Sawyer's Island? How do the geldings go from from the Circle D Ranch to behind the Firehouse for their trolly shift?
    To TSI by boat. At the rear Frontierland Side or ROA is a dock for maintenace and the F! boats.

For the horses, and for restocking food and merchandise, as well as the parade and many other uses there is a road. You will easily see this with a satellite map on google or bing maps. There is a road from backstage that goes around the west and east side of the park.

To the area behind Pinnochio is a road from backstage. When you go between Fantasyland and Frontierland you go on a bridge over it. You can see a bit of this roadway from the Railroad.

I'm wondering if anyone has inside knowledge on how CMs (such as the climbers and Tinker Bell) get to the Matterhorn? Is there an underground access route? From where?]
    Is the bolded an intened pun, or just a happy coincidence?

---------- Post added 09-20-2012 at 10:15 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by DrFink View Post
    I remember my mom telling me once that a majority of Disneyland's behind the scenes workings are underground.
    Probably confused with WDW's Magic Kingdom. The MK was raised by dredging out the Seven Seas Lagoon and using that removed material to build up the area the MK was built on. This way they didn't need to build tunnels into the high watertable, but could build tunnels over it and MK on top.

• Minion

I had a dream that we rode the Matterhorn Bobsleds with Tinkerbell, but at the top of the lift she got out and then she had to go up a ladder to get to the top of the mountain. She was charming and waved as we rode away.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DrFink View Post
    Not true.
    A small minority of the workings are underground. Some examples are already noted above, but also note that POTC and the Haunted Mansion also go down about a floor or so to get under the railroad to get to the main building of the attraction. However, do note that these attractions are up a hill from the Rivers of America, so it's more like the gound level was built up so the attraction could go lower.
    Indiana Jones attraction's queue also goes under the railroad to get to the main building of the attraction.

She might be thinking about WDW's Magic Kingdom, which has utilidors galore. It was a lesson learned from building Disneyland that provided the impetus to build the MK's ground level up a floor or two, so that "backstage" can also be under.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Say no to screens

i think the climbers go in side though that door
    thene there an another door they go out of
    Take a look at some of my models I make at kolbykonnection.com

• Minion

Mountain climbers taking a doorway? That's cheating.

• Minion

I saw climbers walk out through a door by the line right after the recent reopening. The line clapped and cheered as they walked past.

Never really seen an actual picture of the basketball court in the Matterhorn before. How disappointing, I always pictured it like a 24 hour fitness half court. :/

• Lighting Design Lover

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    Not true.
    A small minority of the workings are underground. Some examples are already noted above, but also note that POTC and the Haunted Mansion also go down about a floor or so to get under the railroad to get to the main building of the attraction. However, do note that these attractions are up a hill from the Rivers of America, so it's more like the gound level was built up so the attraction could go lower.
    Indiana Jones attraction's queue also goes under the railroad to get to the main building of the attraction.
    To expand on what Sediment said, besides the tunnels in Tomorrowland (the one between the Terrace and backstage and the one previously between the Rocket Rods line and the loading dock), the area around New Orleans Square is the only place that has any underground portion (and even then it's technically a slightly lower built ground floor with NOS on the second story). However, there are areas underneath NOS (on this "ground floor") which, from my understanding, mostly include a central kitchen for the four non-Club 33 Restaurants (Blue Bayou, Gumbo Stand, Cafe Orleans, and French Market) and used to have a cast cafeteria but no longer does. Unlike the Magic Kingdom in Florida however there is no system of tunnels underneath Disneyland.

---------- Post added 10-19-2012 at 01:34 PM ----------

And as for the original question (which has already been answered really), I already knew this, but I've always wondered whether Tinker Bell puts on her costume backstage and then is sneaked into the mountain, or if they have to have a full character prep area inside the mountain...

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    ...but also note that POTC and the Haunted Mansion also go down about a floor or so to get under the railroad to get to the main building of the attraction. However, do note that these attractions are up a hill from the Rivers of America, so it's more like the gound level was built up so the attraction could go lower.
    Both HM and POTC are underground. That is, if a basement in one's home can be considered underground, then the main show buildings for these two attractions are certainly underground. It is akin to standing in one's basement and being able to look up at the underside of the roof over the attic. I have seen some ppl go ape-crazy over semantics, and they insist that it be called a trench. Either way, it is not (I assume we can all agree), burrowing like mine shafts.

Thx for pointing out the "build up" of NOS.

• AKA - DisneyChris

Question - "How do you get to the Matterhorn?"
    Answer - Take a plane to Switzerland.

Just kidding :P

Now Presenting --- DISNEYLAND - A MAGICAL AUDIO TOUR
    An amazing interactive audio experience found only at my website -www.DisneyChris.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast