Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Should the parks ever close before 10?

Agreed with you about the price hikes. I say if you're going to close one park early have the other open later at least. After all I did pay $500 for my ap.

• Banned User

I will give them some credit, in that they have been known to stay open later than scheduled if the park's reaallly busier than they thought, but that's once in a blue moon.

• The doctor is in

I think it would be nice for Disneyland/California Adventure to stay open until at least 10pm every day, but I understand the reason they don't. It's the same reasoning they don't do Fantasmic every single night during the off season. Not as many people go to the parks during off peak timing so they don't put everything into every day. It makes sense. If you choose to attend Disneyland during the off season then you should be aware of what you are missing out on. If you don't want to miss anything then try to plan accordingly to the best of your ability.

Some theme parks don't even stay open all year so a day at Disneyland is something to be happy about even if you can only stay in the park until 8 or 9. Most of the time you can stay in the park almost an hour past closing anyway. I have been in Disneyland close to 1am before.
    Please... put Guardians of the Galaxy in Tomorrowland.

• Nic

On Thursday, Friday, and Saturday, both parks should all stay open to at least 10.
    Fear of the unknown.

They are afraid of new ideas.

They are loaded with prejudices, not based upon any reality, but based on if something is new, I reject it immediately because its frightening to me. What they do instead is just stay with the familiar.
    You know, to me, the most beautiful things in all the universe, are the most mysterious.

I can understand the limited hours if business is slow (or expected to be slow), but given the current success of the parks, including the reported 90+% occupancy of the on-site hotels, and considering the large number of APs (many of whom work in LA County and simply cannot make it to DLR in time for a meaningful visit before an 8:00 pm closing), there is no reason not to stay open until 10:00. This is especially so right now with Halloweentime in full swing. I know there is a concern APs don't spend, but those who visit in the evenings mid-week are typically going for dinner.

• Knight that says Nee!!

Using book stores and places like Target are not good examples. Most retail stores do not have the overhead costs associated to keeping open even when they are slow. They already have the merchandise on the shelves and all they have to pay for is the staff wages the price of electricity to keep the lights on. It is worth it to them to stay open, even in slow times.

DLR's cost of operation while it is open is massively more complex and expensive and probably makes sense for them to close early during their "slow season."

Having said that, it appears the "off season" is becoming a thing of the past. We may be in that transition period before DLR makes another schedule change. As I think was pointed out before, its operation hours have changed through the years. There was even a time in its history when the park was open only on weekends and was closed mon-fri due to it being the "off season." Changes in the number of visitors during those "off times" lead to changes in the operating schedule. So it is possible that the 8pm closing time may become a thing of the past as well eventually.

•   
    • Minion

I do wish that the parks were open later--Disneyland is special at night.
    They could always alternate between DLR and DCA, as others have said...have DLR open until 10 on off-season Mondays and DCA open until 10 on off-season Tuesdays, or something.

Quote Originally Posted by smartlabelprint View Post
    To decrease CM paid time they could close some sections of the park (toon town?) and rides (winnie the pooh) or shows (monster's inc) that aren't as appealing to adult audiences. Even some of the stores or restaurants could close at 8.
    This could work--sort of like the reverse of Magic Mornings when only certain attractions are available. Splash usually doesn't get a long line at night (although I LOVE it then!) and the Pooh meet & greet ends early in the evening, so they could always close down everything beyond the Haunted Mansion, close some of the smaller rides like the Treehouse and some of the restaurants...and Toontown is already shut...it could work.
    Last edited by Malina; 09-20-2012 at 11:55 PM.

• The doctor is in

I think the idea of reversing the Magic Morning is a good idea. When you think about it the Magic Morning thing is a ripoff anyway. You are only allowed in Tomorrowland, Main Street, and Fantasyland. The only thing Main Street really has to offer is shopping and that can be done at any time of the day.
    Please... put Guardians of the Galaxy in Tomorrowland.

The reverse magic morning thing sounds good but you'd have to wait for them to kick everyone out of the park first.
    With kind regards,
    The Tony

• Sock Puppet

no the parks should never close before 10pm! EVER!! I think on the off season the parks should close at 10:30pm, and during the on season the same usual times

•   
    • Minion

I wasn't thinking of reverse Magic Mornings in terms of kicking people out and requiring reservations/special tickets...I was thinking that scaling back operations, the way they do with Magic Mornings, might be an alternative to closing the parks at 8.

For instance, instead of closing the parks at 8 on the off nights, maybe after 8 they only have NOS/Adventureland/Frontierland/Tomorrowland open, close some of the restaurants and shops, and keep the "limited" Disney open until 10. Over in DCA they could perhaps close off Bugs Land and Grizzly and do the same thing.

That would keep the parks open but keep it more cost efficient on nights when it's sparse. I'd ONLY endorse it on nights when they'd close at 8...otherwise I would hope they'd keep everything up and running until midnight.

i will never go to disneyland outside of peak season

disneyland is an ALL DAY experience for me (6am-1am), and I can't have it any other way

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by APJ1127 View Post
    The reverse magic morning thing sounds good but you'd have to wait for them to kick everyone out of the park first.
    They do it at WDW. We got evening Extra Magic Hours at AK during our stay.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12