Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Banned User

Question Should the parks ever close before 10?

So my friends and I were gonna head to the parks today, but decided it wasn't worth the trip since they're only open til 8. I know a lot of people who find that absurd given the constant price hikes. My question is, since they don't lower the price for off season days, should the park ever not be only til at least 10? I can't think one good reason why not. Heck, even a Barnes & Noble is open til 11 every night. Shopping malls til, 9. Target til 10. So why does the biggest theme park/ resort in the state close at sunset? There's certainly no lack of things to do, even if they cut nighttime shows. And again, at almost 100 bucks a pop, people deserve as much time as possible. The least they can do is lower the price on off season days.

Re: Should the parks ever close before 10?

I agree that I'd love the parks to be open later.

However, the logic of the park operations is probably that they only increase the hours on busier days so you'd have the same entertainment value as the shorter day.

Another thing, if the park's open late I'm there. I kind of like being forced out at 8 in the week so it gives me an opportunity to experience other things in the so-cal area. Even if it's off property restaurants!

Quote Originally Posted by DARTH MAUL View Post
    So my friends and I were gonna head to the parks today, but decided it wasn't worth the trip since they're only open til 8. I know a lot of people who find that absurd given the constant price hikes. My question is, since they don't lower the price for off season days, should the park ever not be only til at least 10? I can't think one good reason why not. Heck, even a Barnes & Noble is open til 11 every night. Shopping malls til, 9. Target til 10. So why does the biggest theme park/ resort in the state close at sunset? There's certainly no lack of things to do, even if they cut nighttime shows. And again, at almost 100 bucks a pop, people deserve as much time as possible. The least they can do is lower the price on off season days.
    I agree with you 100%!! When we were there last week, I was very disappointed in the lack of time in the parks after dark... We paid more money than ever before, got less hours, more rides being down, and less entertainment-meaning shows and fireworks. We shouldn't be required to go during busy season to get the best of the best IMO. Should be the same all year long! Week nights 10, weekends 12.

• Banned User

Yes. I understand places like Universal Studios closing early, they only have 5 rides, but Disneyland??? Two parks, all those rides and attractions. Come on. And you make a good point about the refurbs.

• My Children's Father

Would you prefer that they close all day one or two days per week to stay open later? They may feel the need to do something like that to perform maintenance and not spend too much on guest-oriented CM person-hours
    "She's taking everything. She's taking the house, she's taking the kid, she's taking the dog. IT'S NOT EVEN HER DOG. IT'S MY DOG! SHE'S TAKING . . . MY DOG!"
    - Ron Livingston, "Band of Brothers"

Quote Originally Posted by Giant Panda View Post
    Would you prefer that they close all day one or two days per week to stay open later? They may feel the need to do something like that to perform maintenance and not spend too much on guest-oriented CM person-hours
    To decrease CM paid time they could close some sections of the park (toon town?) and rides (winnie the pooh) or shows (monster's inc) that aren't as appealing to adult audiences. Even some of the stores or restaurants could close at 8.

• Under that tree again!

IME when the park closes at 8am I get dinner at 8:30 or 9 elsewhere. When it's open until 10pm I''m having dinner about 50% of the time in the parks. Of course not everyone is like me and does the same. Plenty of people are there for the day and have to get going and get to bed at a reasonable hour, so won't be contributing more revenue like I have.

Quote Originally Posted by smartlabelprint View Post
    To decrease CM paid time they could close some sections of the park (toon town?) and rides (winnie the pooh) or shows (monster's inc) that aren't as appealing to adult audiences. Even some of the stores or restaurants could close at 8.
    They could do something like Epcot where the two halves of the park have different hours. Or like WDW with evening EMH, but probably needs many more hotels to have the guests to fill the demand.

One reason I'd like the parks to stay open later is because so many attractions are better at night. There's something magical with all of the twinkling lights, etc.

• Dead men tell no tales.

If I had it my way, Disneyland would open at 9AM and close at midnight everyday. But since I imagine it costs quite a bit of money to keep the park open, they only leave the park open when they know guests will still be in the park spending money.

But yes, DL should always be open 'till 10 or later.

• Suspended

I think that you forgot to realize that they are open later when there are more people in the parks. Do not worry just because it closes at 8 and sometimes it stays open until midnight. Even though some people may have 4 extra hours in the park, they may have wait times double of what it is during the times when it closes at 8. You can probably get more rides in less time than during peak.

• formerly very helpful

I remember years ago - back in the 80s and 90s - when the park would close as early as 6 pm in the off season, mid-week. However, on those days it was so uncrowded that we got on everything multiple times.
    But that was back then, before the explosion of APs. Is the park ever as uncrowded as it used to be?

It all depends upon crowds. If DL and DCA were crushed by unexpected park projection figures, then you'd see suggestions.

On another note this might be the most coincidental thread I've ever seen, since just yesterday I was thinking of going to the parks today... until I saw the hours. Too late of an opening to avoid traffic, too early of a closing to truly justify the trip. Ah well,

I completely agree that Disneyland is even more special at night, and should remain open for at least two hours after sunset. To have to leave at dusk is a real jip!

I would gladly accept having the Park close on Mondays and Tuesdays (or whatever) like they used to. I think that was a good way of operating things.

Quote Originally Posted by sbk1234 View Post
    I remember years ago - back in the 80s and 90s - when the park would close as early as 6 pm in the off season, mid-week. However, on those days it was so uncrowded that we got on everything multiple times.
    But that was back then, before the explosion of APs. Is the park ever as uncrowded as it used to be?
    Sadly, I believe the Park's idyllic days of a relatively uncrowded experience are over. At least until a new regime reverses today's management's decisions.

I will always remember a wonderful couple of days back in 1985. IIRC it was the first Thursday and Friday in November. There were so few guests in the Park that it was almost eerie. But it was fantastic!

I also fondly recall several other visit in the 80s -- even during the summer or Spring break times -- when my buddy and I would roam around the Magic Kingdom in the cool of the night, soaking up so much of the atmostphere, after many, many other guests (usually with small fry in tow) departed. Those last three hours or so were so wonderful! And, it seems to me that almost everything -- shops, restaurants, and attractions -- remained open until the very last minute (nowadays, don't certain things shut down early?) Truly a golden age back then. I long for those days to return!

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Usually the park closing at 8 also means it is extremely dead. I remember one time going after work. I got there at 6 and did about 8 rides including dinner. So while it might have been nice to have stayed later I did a lot in such short of time.

It's true that early closings usually mean that the Park is quite uncrowded, and that affords being able to get on about as many rides as one would want. But besides "doing" rides, I also just enjoy "being" in the Park at night. Strolling around, taking in the twinkling lights and romantic atomsphere is an attraction in its own right.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast