Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Minion

Cost Effective Meal Tip...

Before I go into the cost effective part of this meal tip, I have another little gluten tip to start with.

My wife is "Gluten Intolerant" and cannot eat any products with Gluten in them. She doesn't have Celiac's disease and gluten won't hurt her but it will knock her out and make her nap for about 5 hours after eating it. She hasn't been able to eat "real" bread in several years and if you've ever eaten Gluten Free bread, you know it is a pretty weak substitute and very expensive.

She discovered that certain brands of Sourdough bread are easily digestible for Gluten Intolerant people if they are made the old fashioned way, without using a leavening product to make it rise. To do this they have to use a well aged starter and let the bread rise naturally, usually taking at least 18 hours. Much to her delight, Boudin's bakery, like the one in the Fisherman's Wharf in DCA does it that way and she can eat their sourdough bread to her hearts (and stomach's) content with no ill effects whatsoever. Now part of our Disneyland ritual is to stop in there and pick up a loaf of bread so she can snack on it as much as she wants.

On our last visit, she said that she wanted to get a loaf of bread. We went into Boudin's and got in line. While we were in line, she decided that she also wanted a Turkey Leg. She stayed in that line and I ran over to the stand in front of Toy Story Mania to get a Turkey Leg. I returned like a triumphant King Henry with the massive Turkey Leg in hand as she was just getting to the front of the line.

She ordered the "OVAL" Sourdough loaf (not the round) and had them slice it for us.
    We sat down and it became immediately clear that Turkey Sandwiches would be our meal du jour. Diane pulled the vinyl gloves out of her purse (she always keeps a pair in there in a ziploc bag just for turkey legs) and pulled all the meat off the turkey leg. Hint: You can also ask the person working in the Turkey Leg stand for a pair of the gloves that they use.

Name:  8010507661_d067451f0e_d.jpg
Views: 672
Size:  196.4 KB

While she did that, I got some mustard and laid out napkins to put the bread on and we made fresh turkey sandwiches. From all the people looking at us with jealousy in their eyes, we knew we were onto something.
    Name:  8010514054_8c90c9bfb6_d.jpg
Views: 645
Size:  184.7 KB

There was enough turkey to make 4 full size sandwiches and 2 somewhat smaller size ones that would easily feed 2 adults and 2 small children. This also only used about half the loaf of bread.

The price of the bread and turkey leg combined was about $16.00. So for $16.00, you can have a unique meal with a homemade aspect to it and feed a family of 4. I can't think of any cheaper way to have a nice and unique meal for that price in Disneyland.

Eat well!
    Last edited by Hot Sauce 1; 09-22-2012 at 01:06 PM.
    Life is far too short for bland food!

Flickr page: www.flickr.com/ringoffirehotsauce
    You Tube: www.youtube.com/ringoffireguy
    Facebook: http://profile.to/michaelgreening/
    Twitter: http://twitter.com/RingofFire1
    Personal website: www.mikeanddianes.com

Re: Cost Effective Meal Tip...

Fun! Thanks for the tip! With some spare ziploc bags, you could probably save a sandwich or two for later, huh? That would make a nice late night hotel room snack for any vacationing park visitors

• Inappropriate

This is great! And it looks delicious!

Click the banner! ^^^^
    Follow us on Twitter
    @mickeymutineers and on Facebook
    Mickey Mutineer Podcast now available in the blog and on iTunes!

• Still Dizzy

Thanks for this!!! It's a great idea! Definitely trying this next trip.

We've done this, too, with the leftover rolls and tri tip from Ariel's Grotto. Tri tip sandwiches make a great midnight snack after a long day in the parks!

• MaliBOOMer

I'm doing this next time.
    Favorite Ride: Tower of Terror

• former CM

Thanks, hot sauce 1! Good post!

Thank you for this post! My mom has celiac- and the fact that bread is her favorite food doesn't help. This is very helpful. A little of topic but my mom loves Udi's bagels which you can find at many stores, she loves them.

• hogwarts + disneyland = ♥

hmmm i may have my first turkey leg finally....in sandwich form that is. now i'm craving sourdough bread.

flower gleam & glow...

• Knight that says Nee!!

I think this idea is really great! Thanks for sharing, I think we will try this next time we are at the DLR.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

The way the turkey legs are seasoned it would have been pretty tasty on rye bread. But Boudin doesn't sell rye bread so oh well.

How have I not thought of this? You are the best.
    I believe my future must be brighter than my past. Without that belief, I'm just waiting to die. --> http://www.youtube.com/theantidietsecrets

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by the mermaid View Post
    Thank you for this post! My mom has celiac- and the fact that bread is her favorite food doesn't help. This is very helpful. A little of topic but my mom loves Udi's bagels which you can find at many stores, she loves them.
    Celiac's is a completely different malady than simple gluten intolerance. She would have to be very careful trying this because the bread does still have wheat flour. The natural fermentation and the slow rising process makes the gluten easier to digest. For someone with Celiac's, I would still avoid it. For people with gluten intolerance, I still recommend trying it cautiously. We went to our local mall that has a Boudin's and brought a loaf home for her to try. That way if she did feel the effects and have to go to sleep, she was where it wouldn't be a problem. She felt no effects whatsoever and ate half the loaf that day. Now we go there all the time and buy several loaves of it.
    Life is far too short for bland food!

Flickr page: www.flickr.com/ringoffirehotsauce
    You Tube: www.youtube.com/ringoffireguy
    Facebook: http://profile.to/michaelgreening/
    Twitter: http://twitter.com/RingofFire1
    Personal website: www.mikeanddianes.com

• Chief Troublemaker

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Sauce 1 View Post
    Celiac's is a completely different malady than simple gluten intolerance. She would have to be very careful trying this because the bread does still have wheat flour. The natural fermentation and the slow rising process makes the gluten easier to digest. For someone with Celiac's, I would still avoid it. For people with gluten intolerance, I still recommend trying it cautiously. We went to our local mall that has a Boudin's and brought a loaf home for her to try. That way if she did feel the effects and have to go to sleep, she was where it wouldn't be a problem. She felt no effects whatsoever and ate half the loaf that day. Now we go there all the time and buy several loaves of it.

You are absolutely correct! I am a diagnosed Celiac and would NEVER eat a wheat/rye/barley based bread. Sourdough may help someone who is gluten-intolerant (I wouldn't know) but for someone with Celiac, any gluten-grain based product will result in intestinal damage and very nasty gastrointestinal, um, side effects.

Mermaid, Udi's products are wonderful & pretty much revolutionized GF bread. Depending on where you (or your Mom) live, Natural Food Works also has a great crusty baguette. It would be great for a turkey leg sandwich.

Really wish I'd thought of doing this when we were there earlier this week!!
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

• Selfie Expert

Such a great idea!! This looks delicious... And since there's just two of us, I think I might plan ahead and bring some Tupperware of Ziploc baggies to save the leftovers for later. Thank you for sharing!

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast