Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

• Banned User

Re: Dole Whip leaving

Coke used to basically give away Coke products for free to Disneyland just to have the honor of showcasing their product in the park. If I'm not mistaken, the Dole whip area inside of the Tiki Room outside queue area still runs a decades old video about pineapple production in Hawaii, though it has been updated a bit. It is a better advertising deal for Dole than what other sponsors get, i.e. a video monitor with a looped company informercial, and of course the whole video monitor thing doesn't work as well in Adventureland as it would in Tomorrowland. Maybe somebody at Disney decided that they wanted to change the deal?

On a related topic, the line for the Dole Whips is often very long. I think that in the future a refurb should be done to increase the serving capacity of the Dole Whip station, or perhaps move it to the Oasis, where a big station with more servers could be setup. With the Jungle Cruise movie coming out, I hope they change the Oasis into a counter service restaurant with a theme that ties in with the film.

Quote Originally Posted by Disneytwins View Post
    I find it hard to believe.

I think Disney would continue selling it even though they ended sponsorship. If Disney is willing to pay for it, I'm sure Dole will continue to provide.
    Dole doesn't make "Dole Whip", it's made under license by the same company that makes just about every brand/type of "non dairy" ice cream product, Precision Foods.

Precision Foods - Food Service - Branded Solutions

So if Dole leaves, I'm sure the "whip" will survive.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by pinkertonfloyd View Post
    Dole doesn't make "Dole Whip", it's made under license by the same company that makes just about every brand/type of "non dairy" ice cream product, Precision Foods.

Precision Foods - Food Service - Branded Solutions

So if Dole leaves, I'm sure the "whip" will survive.

Not necessarily, if Dole leaves, then they will continue to sell their Dole Whip to other places, such as some places in Hawaii, and others. But I'm sure Precision Foods, or some other dry packaging processor, can sell a no-brand Whip mix to Disney at a much cheaper price when compared to having a branded product. Why would Disney buy the more expensive Dole whip over some generic product?, unless of course, Dole offers a cheap discount of the Dole product, which they might not do if they are completely pulling out.

Will a generic whip be the same? The formula for the Dole Whip might be Dole's intellectual property or something. Meaning if Dole pulls completely out, sure, Precision could sell the Dole Whip to Disney (just like they can to any soft serve vendor), but Disney won't get a special deal. And if 'no-name fruit whip' is cheaper, they might go with that, especially if they can get a pineapple, or a pineapple/organ whip similar in taste to the Dole Whip.

Precision Foods is the company Dole contracts to make the product. It may not be their formula to make as a generic product.

A sponsorship is basically an advertisement deal. Just because they don't renew, doesn't mean that their business relationship is over with Disney. I'm sure things will just go on as normal.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Disneytwins View Post
    Precision Foods is the company Dole contracts to make the product. It may not be their formula to make as a generic product.

A sponsorship is basically an advertisement deal. Just because they don't renew, doesn't mean that their business relationship is over with Disney. I'm sure things will just go on as normal.
    I'm guessing though that Disney got the "mix" for the Dole Whips (which they reconstitute with water and then freeze), at a substantially reduced price, like maybe 80% cut off the price, in effect subsidizing the cost of selling Dole Whips. Then, of course, Disney sells the Dole Whips at an inflated priced and keeps the profit. If I was a big company like Dole, I would actually prefer this method as while the company is taking a small write off, it is good as the product (or at least the association of Dole with pineapple goodness) is getting sold in the park, versus just writing a check.

Maybe this is why the Bengal Barbecue was supposedly selling a "fruit whip" type drink a while ago, Dole would lose a lot more money if Disney decided to use the sweetheart deal everywhere in the park and at the hotels. Dole probably paid Precision to make gallons of Dole Whip mix basically for free for Disney, but stipulated that the Dole Whips only be sold at the one location.

If this sweetheart deal is over, then Disney will have to shop around for a fruit whip to sell, or maybe try to work out a deal with Dole if the pineapple whip is proprietary, or some secret recipe or something. The Dole executive sure isn't going to say, "Sure, we'll keep selling you a galloon of Dole Mix for 50 cents," it would be more like, "since our sponsorship has ended, we currently only offer the Dole Whip mix at our wholesale value of $25.00 per gallon. Have a nice day!"

One of the secrets of Coke's past sponsorship of Disneyland was that Disney got really cheap soda, but then sold it at double or more its cost in the real world. It would be like buying a liter of Coke for ten cents, and selling it for $7 dollars. You can see how Disney loves these types of "sponsorships."
    Last edited by chesirecat; 09-22-2012 at 01:31 PM.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    I don't know where all the disbelief is coming from. Sponsors have come and gone since the first days of the park. Welch's, Sunkist, Monsanto, Wonder Bread, Bank of America, Goodyear are just a small sample of sponsors that have long since left. And many of these partnerships during their days were so strong that in those days it felt that Disneyland would not be the same without them.
    If dole leaves, maybe Monsanto can take over sponsorship and they can be called chemical whips.

In all seriousness, though... We are now 4 pages into the thread and no one was able to provide a source or speculation thereof as to where this rumor comes from. I think that is a good indication that it isn't happening.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

Quote Originally Posted by chesirecat View Post
    I'm guessing though that Disney got the "mix" for the Dole Whips (which they reconstitute with water and then freeze), at a substantially reduced price, like maybe 80% cut off the price, in effect subsidizing the cost of selling Dole Whips. Then, of course, Disney sells the Dole Whips at an inflated priced and keeps the profit. If I was a big company like Dole, I would actually prefer this method as while the company is taking a small write off, it is good as the product (or at least the association of Dole with pineapple goodness) is getting sold in the park, versus just writing a check.

Maybe this is why the Bengal Barbecue was supposedly selling a "fruit whip" type drink a while ago, Dole would lose a lot more money if Disney decided to use the sweetheart deal everywhere in the park and at the hotels. Dole probably paid Precision to make gallons of Dole Whip mix basically for free for Disney, but stipulated that the Dole Whips only be sold at the one location.

If this sweetheart deal is over, then Disney will have to shop around for a fruit whip to sell, or maybe try to work out a deal with Dole if the pineapple whip is proprietary, or some secret recipe or something. The Dole executive sure isn't going to say, "Sure, we'll keep selling you a galloon of Dole Mix for 50 cents," it would be more like, "since our sponsorship has ended, we currently only offer the Dole Whip mix at our wholesale value of $25.00 per gallon. Have a nice day!"

One of the secrets of Coke's past sponsorship of Disneyland was that Disney got really cheap soda, but then sold it at double or more its cost in the real world. It would be like buying a liter of Coke for ten cents, and selling it for $7 dollars. You can see how Disney loves these types of "sponsorships."
    I wish I knew what the whole deal between the two companies are regarding this mix. I'm pretty sure the mix is not exclusive to Disney. The thing about the Dole Whips is the fact that they sell. If Disney is releasing T-shirts with the Dole whip on it, they obviously know that it's a classic and people love them. I'm pretty confident that Disney will either continue to buy it (if they currently buy it) or start buying it and probably raise the price a little. I'm pretty sure if Disney wants to pay, Dole will be there to provide.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

WOW, I didn't think this would generate such a response, all I was looking for was if any one else had heard such a thing, remember people I did say "not confirmed" and put it under the "rumor" section, but I do love the fact that one silly rumor can get such a great debate going...again thanks

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    If dole leaves, maybe Monsanto can take over sponsorship and they can be called chemical whips.
    Mmm Monsanto Whips! Taste as good as they are for you!

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey2005 View Post
    WOW, I didn't think this would generate such a response, all I was looking for was if any one else had heard such a thing, remember people I did say "not confirmed" and put it under the "rumor" section, but I do love the fact that one silly rumor can get such a great debate going...again thanks
    So where did you hear it then? Half sounds like you made it up.

I think this conversation has turned into a "what if" more than anything.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• Banned User

When I first read this, my initial thought was....

....but upon reading the thread and considering the idea a bit, I've come to the conclusion that, while having Dole as the sponsor of the Enchanted Tiki Room is not only continuing a nearly 50 year legacy and is quite convenient (and will most likely continue, to be perfectly honest; I'm sure they'll all come to an agreement at some point), Disneyland doesn't NEED Dole as the sponsor, insofar as having Dole Whips are concerned (although, of course, they would have to change the name).

If, for some reason, the Tiki Room were to either change sponsors to, perhaps, Del Monte, or some other major pineapple grower like Hawaiian Crown or Maui Gold, or switch to some other Hawaiian or Pacific Rim-based corporation (Hawaiian Airlines, or King's Hawaiian Bakery, perhaps? Maybe Hilo Hattie...), or even go sponsorless for a while, pineapple frozen treats could continue, and perhaps the menu could even expand a bit, or change in a healthy way. I like the idea of adding a coconut whip (made with real coconut water, preferably), or perhaps offering traditional Hawaiian shave ice (similar to what is sold at the famous Matsumoto Shave Ice on Oahu's North Shore), with multiple flavor options available (like the menu below)....

When you think about it....might be a good idea to go beyond just the basic Dole Whips. Hawaiian Shave Ice could create even longer lines than Dole Whips ever did....

Is the dole whip really dairy free?

---------- Post added 09-22-2012 at 07:53 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Retrocool View Post
    When I first read this, my initial thought was....

....but upon reading the thread and considering the idea a bit, I've come to the conclusion that, while having Dole as the sponsor of the Enchanted Tiki Room is not only continuing a nearly 50 year legacy and is quite convenient (and will most likely continue, to be perfectly honest; I'm sure they'll all come to an agreement at some point), Disneyland doesn't NEED Dole as the sponsor, insofar as having Dole Whips are concerned (although, of course, they would have to change the name).

If, for some reason, the Tiki Room were to either change sponsors to, perhaps, Del Monte, or some other major pineapple grower like Hawaiian Crown or Maui Gold, or switch to some other Hawaiian or Pacific Rim-based corporation (Hawaiian Airlines, or King's Hawaiian Bakery, perhaps? Maybe Hilo Hattie...), or even go sponsorless for a while, pineapple frozen treats could continue, and perhaps the menu could even expand a bit, or change in a healthy way. I like the idea of adding a coconut whip (made with real coconut water, preferably), or perhaps offering traditional Hawaiian shave ice (similar to what is sold at the famous Matsumoto Shave Ice on Oahu's North Shore), with multiple flavor options available (like the menu below)....

When you think about it....might be a good idea to go beyond just the basic Dole Whips. Hawaiian Shave Ice could create even longer lines than Dole Whips ever did....
    I love both treats!

• 東京ディズニーシーに行きたい

The pages of replies on an unconfirmed rumor just goes to show the immense popularity of Dole Whip... While there's always a chance that Dole could pull out its sponsorship, I'm going to wait it out and see. While I know sponsorships end all the time, I find it a little hard to believe that, what with the 50th anniversary of the Tiki Room next year which is likely to get promotion, Dole would cut their ties.

Photo Via jdhilger

• I'm a Lutheran

Name:  539649_3238902821587_212693410_n.jpg
Views: 539
Size:  53.0 KB

Best part of the real-life Hawaii. And it only cost about $3.50 for an extremely large size.
    Theatrical Roles: Various Roles (The Laramie Project), Fred (Oklahoma!), Oberon (Shakespeare in Hollywood), Hero (A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum), Valere (The Miser), Moonface Martin (Anything Goes), Thenardier/Laborer/Army Officer/Ensemble (Les Miserables), Franz (The Sound of Music), Tobias Ragg (Sweeney Todd), Tinman (The Wiz), Elles Dad/Winthrop/Ensemble (Legally Blonde), William Barfee/Leaf's Dad/Jesus Christ (25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee), Fiddler on the Roof (Rabbi), The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (Muff Potter/Ensemble), Shrek the Musical (Lord Farquaad)

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast