Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

• Banned User

Re: Dole Whip leaving

Quote Originally Posted by Disneytwins View Post
    I wish I knew what the whole deal between the two companies are regarding this mix. I'm pretty sure the mix is not exclusive to Disney. The thing about the Dole Whips is the fact that they sell. If Disney is releasing T-shirts with the Dole whip on it, they obviously know that it's a classic and people love them. I'm pretty confident that Disney will either continue to buy it (if they currently buy it) or start buying it and probably raise the price a little. I'm pretty sure if Disney wants to pay, Dole will be there to provide.
    Yeah, that's the sticking point, that Disney knows that the Dole Whips have a following.

However, somebody saw the Bengal Barbecue serving a "fruit whip", similar in consistency, but different flavor, from the Dole Whip. Since the Dole Whip is just a mix that they add water to and freeze, they *could* serve Dole Whip everywhere, or at least a lot more places, inside of the park, but they don't.

I think the most probably reason is that Dole gives the Dole whip mix for free to Disney as basically their "sponsorship".

If Dole Whip ends this, then Disney has to start paying, and we all know that branded products, i.e. Dole Whip soft serve, cost a lot more than generic. If Dole Whip ends their partnership, and even if Disney decides to buy Dole's Soft Serve, they might not end call it the Dole Whip anymore.

But what if an accountant (post sponsorship ending), figures out that they can serve the Bengal Barbecue's "fruit whip" at the Tiki Room for half of what it costs to buy Dole Whip, maybe saying hundreds of dollars a day.

For all we know, the "fruit whip" served at Bengal was a "test run" to see how another type of fruit whip would do with guests.

We all know the Dole Whip line is crazy long, I think it is most likely because Dole limits where Dole Whip can be served down to a single location in Disneyland, mostly likely b/c they are giving it away, in essence, for free. I.e. they sponsor/subsidize Dole Whips at the Tiki Room location only.

---------- Post added 09-23-2012 at 08:30 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by MANEATINGWREATH View Post

Best part of the real-life Hawaii. And it only cost about $3.50 for an extremely large size.
    Wonder how much money Disney makes off of the Dole Whips if they are provided gratis by Dole.

Let's see, since a Dole Whip Float is about $5, and a Dole Whip is about $3.25, would could say that each guest orders about $4 worth of product at Tiki Juice Bar. Maybe they serve up about a drink a minute, so that would be $240 per hour, maybe about $2,400 a day, or about $864,000 per year.

If it only costs Dole about $1 to make a dole Whip (considering that it is re-hydrated it is possibly less even), it costs the Dole Company about $216,000 a year to sponsor the Tiki Juice Bar, (though they do also sell fresh fruit).

Take away from the $864,000 taxes, up keep of the Juice Bar and castmember salaries, and maybe you'd be left with $400,000 to keep the Tiki Room in good working order.

No, let's say that Disney has to buy the Dole Whip mix, then maybe the profit on each drink is just $2, so they'd make $432,000 selling Dole Whips (or a similar product), and then mins taxes and castmember salaries and upkeep of the Tiki Fruit Bar, and you're left with a lot less money, like maybe less than $100,000.

If Dole ends the sponsorship, I can see Disney raising the price by a couple bucks, and/or figuring out how to get a cheap "fruit whip" with pineapple somewhere.
    Last edited by chesirecat; 09-23-2012 at 12:34 PM.

Jack Sparrow - "You have been monstrously deceived." Pirate - We are decepted then..." Jack Sparrow - "Yes"

To those of you who think I made this up, I have better things to do than brew this stuff up. A friend who is a huge Disney fan had come across this rumor and shared it with me, so I thought I'd bring it to the MC boards and see if anyone else had heard the same thing. Rumor or not, obviously the Dole Whip is a Disneyland staple to a lot of people and it would be missed. I agree with the videos... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! *LOL*
    Last edited by Mickey2005; 09-23-2012 at 04:56 PM.

• Banned User

It's unknown what their level of sponsorship is.
    they could as simply pay a fee annually and sell the mix to them at a wholesale price, as they do anyone else.
    It may be they are done with an obligated term of sponsorship and its another company's turn. The new sponsor may also have paid more to have their name on the signage.
    I would assume, they would still sell Dolewhip since its not a park exclusive, maybe a licensed product.

• Workin to live,lovin life

Personally, I'm not a fan of rumors because that's all they are usually... rumors... speculation... all without any solid evidence.

I'm not too concerned about Dole Whip going away from Disney despite being a fan of the dessert! I rarely get it at the park for some reason, and luckily I've found a place that sells the stuff locally! If you look up Lappert's Ice Cream and Coffee, they sell the stuff too!

• Sorcerer Supreme Bean

Untill there is confirmation, I remain skeptical.
    There is no right or wrong in this debate. It is simply a matter of perspective.
    -Dr. Strange

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by chesirecat View Post
    Yeah, that's the sticking point, that Disney knows that the Dole Whips have a following.

However, somebody saw the Bengal Barbecue serving a "fruit whip", similar in consistency, but different flavor, from the Dole Whip. Since the Dole Whip is just a mix that they add water to and freeze, they *could* serve Dole Whip everywhere, or at least a lot more places, inside of the park, but they don't.

I think the most probably reason is that Dole gives the Dole whip mix for free to Disney as basically their "sponsorship".

If Dole Whip ends this, then Disney has to start paying, and we all know that branded products, i.e. Dole Whip soft serve, cost a lot more than generic. If Dole Whip ends their partnership, and even if Disney decides to buy Dole's Soft Serve, they might not end call it the Dole Whip anymore.

But what if an accountant (post sponsorship ending), figures out that they can serve the Bengal Barbecue's "fruit whip" at the Tiki Room for half of what it costs to buy Dole Whip, maybe saying hundreds of dollars a day.

For all we know, the "fruit whip" served at Bengal was a "test run" to see how another type of fruit whip would do with guests.

We all know the Dole Whip line is crazy long, I think it is most likely because Dole limits where Dole Whip can be served down to a single location in Disneyland, mostly likely b/c they are giving it away, in essence, for free. I.e. they sponsor/subsidize Dole Whips at the Tiki Room location only.

---------- Post added 09-23-2012 at 08:30 PM ----------

Wonder how much money Disney makes off of the Dole Whips if they are provided gratis by Dole.

Let's see, since a Dole Whip Float is about $5, and a Dole Whip is about $3.25, would could say that each guest orders about $4 worth of product at Tiki Juice Bar. Maybe they serve up about a drink a minute, so that would be $240 per hour, maybe about $2,400 a day, or about $864,000 per year.

If it only costs Dole about $1 to make a dole Whip (considering that it is re-hydrated it is possibly less even), it costs the Dole Company about $216,000 a year to sponsor the Tiki Juice Bar, (though they do also sell fresh fruit).

Take away from the $864,000 taxes, up keep of the Juice Bar and castmember salaries, and maybe you'd be left with $400,000 to keep the Tiki Room in good working order.

No, let's say that Disney has to buy the Dole Whip mix, then maybe the profit on each drink is just $2, so they'd make $432,000 selling Dole Whips (or a similar product), and then mins taxes and castmember salaries and upkeep of the Tiki Fruit Bar, and you're left with a lot less money, like maybe less than $100,000.

If Dole ends the sponsorship, I can see Disney raising the price by a couple bucks, and/or figuring out how to get a cheap "fruit whip" with pineapple somewhere.
    Do you really thing that the Whip actually cost them as much as $1? I'm willing to bet it costs them even less.

Quote Originally Posted by chesirecat View Post
    Not necessarily, if Dole leaves, then they will continue to sell their Dole Whip to other places, such as some places in Hawaii, and others. But I'm sure Precision Foods, or some other dry packaging processor, can sell a no-brand Whip mix to Disney at a much cheaper price when compared to having a branded product. Why would Disney buy the more expensive Dole whip over some generic product?, unless of course, Dole offers a cheap discount of the Dole product, which they might not do if they are completely pulling out.

Will a generic whip be the same? The formula for the Dole Whip might be Dole's intellectual property or something. Meaning if Dole pulls completely out, sure, Precision could sell the Dole Whip to Disney (just like they can to any soft serve vendor), but Disney won't get a special deal. And if 'no-name fruit whip' is cheaper, they might go with that, especially if they can get a pineapple, or a pineapple/organ whip similar in taste to the Dole Whip.
    You act as if "Dole Whip" is some protected brand only certain people can buy/sell... It's in standard food service distribution, cost is about $20 for a bag of 72 4Oz (standard) servings (28 Cents a serving!). If you want the fancy Dole Mix Bucket (just a bucket with the mix ratios marked and a strir) it's about $14. Seriously, this is easy stuff to get. Precision has made it for a long time, and I believe it was made by Frostline from day one (owned by Precision, and a very common brand for the standard flavors you see in the soft serve industry). Basically the "Dole" stuff is Frostline with fruit flavors, and they license the Dole Name, they probably made a "B2B" type agreement and that why the Dole Plantation get it.

At 28 cents (and that's one bag, I'm sure once you get into quanity, it gets into the 15 cent range), I doubt there's much need to find a generic supplier, they can just sell it as "Pineapple Whip".

---------- Post added 09-24-2012 at 06:05 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas998 View Post
    Do you really thing that the Whip actually cost them as much as $1? I'm willing to bet it costs them even less.
    Yep, SINGLE bag is 28cents ($20/bag, 72 4oz servings). I'm sure they pay a lot less, probably in the 12-15/bag range. It's in fairly normal food service distribution... just about any "Froyo" shop can order it from their distributor.

Hate to say it, but Food is cheap, and the markup in the industry is high, you pay a lot more for the "overhead" and "labor" than the food.

---------- Post added 09-24-2012 at 06:10 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Disneytwins View Post
    Precision Foods is the company Dole contracts to make the product. It may not be their formula to make as a generic product.

A sponsorship is basically an advertisement deal. Just because they don't renew, doesn't mean that their business relationship is over with Disney. I'm sure things will just go on as normal.

There is nothing special, no certification or registration to sell Dole Whip, anyone can buy the mix, it's nothing special, there's no agreement or authorization required. I can have a bag in my hands today if I wanted.
    The only issue you could have is if you tried to sell non-dole wrip as "dole whip", but there's no issue selling "Dole whip" as "Pineapple flavored Non Dairy Dessert"

•   

At first I was a little concerned when I read this thread but then looking over all the responses I don't feel too bad. It's too popular to shut down just over sponsorship and as previously pointed out, this lack of sponsorship may now give DL the opportunity to expand the menu to coconut whip or any other similar yet fitting products.

I admit, I'll miss the Dole name on it, it's become a staple for me but life will go on at DL just as long as the park finds a way to keep a comparable product available. As previously mentioned, that thing often has a LINE it's so popular.

I don't doubt that Mickey2005 heard something while there, I think like Mickey2005 himself I'm just wondering if anyone here can/will confirm what's up with this. Anyone?
    Your first, your last, your only defense against the scum of the ethereal plane.

<a href=http://westcoastbusters.com/ target=_blank>http://westcoastbusters.com/</a>

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by PBandJ View Post
    It always strikes me as odd that posts like this get pages and pages of replies without anyone asking what is the source of this rumor?
    The thing I find sad is that the OP said that he had "heard (unconfirmed)." Meaning it is just a rumor and I heard it and it hasn't been confirmed, yet we have 5 pages of "no! They can't take this out!" "Why would they take that out, it's so popular?" "They could just buy it from Dole and sell it themselves." etc, etc. Treating it as if it is happening. lol.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    The thing I find sad is that the OP said that he had "heard (unconfirmed)." Meaning it is just a rumor and I heard it and it hasn't been confirmed, yet we have 5 pages of "no! They can't take this out!" "Why would they take that out, it's so popular?" "They could just buy it from Dole and sell it themselves." etc, etc. Treating it as if it is happening. lol.
    Oh I agree, I'd find it quite interesting if Dole would leave... especially with the updated video (I know, nothing special). But I seriously doubt the sponsorship is huge $$$ on either side compared to other sponsorships in the park.

The only little bit of truth is the fact that Pineapple Production in Hawaii is winding down, and only a fraction of the Market comes from Hawaii anymore. Del Monte pulled out in 2006, Maui Land & Pineapple, Inc (Maui Gold) pulled out in 2009.

Most U.S. Market comes imported from Costa Rica, but world production mainly comes from Thailand, the Philippines, Brazil, China, India and Costa Rica.

Dole has some operations in Hawaii, but it's a sliver of what they had in the past. Most of the land is now being used for other crops (in many cases to provide for the local market), or sold for development. The Sugar industry had a similar shake up in the 90s.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

To the OP: no, none of us have heard about this rumor.

It also seems extremely improbable at the moment. If I had heard this rumor in the 90s, I would have been far more concerned.

Someone probably created this rumor to just try to start something.

The current video playing for Dole was updated not too long ago. Sales for dole whips are consistently high. And, of course, the resort is now selling dole whip t-shirts.

Naw, Dole isn't going anywhere. At least not at the moment. And even if they decide to pull their sponsorship sometime in the future, I'm 99% sure we would still be able to get pineapple-flavored whips in the park.

Hakuna matata.

• Sorcerer Supreme Bean

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post

Same as it ever was.

=/
    There is no right or wrong in this debate. It is simply a matter of perspective.
    -Dr. Strange

I don' t think I would miss it all that much. Yesterday I made my own with blue bell pineapple sherbet and dole pineapple juice. I can have them year round for fraction of the price.

• Disneyland History Lover

I'd find it pretty hard to believe if this were to actually happen. However, a small shred of evidence (and it's probably nothing) is that the new Vinylmation Dole Whip is officially called "Frozen Drink."

Name:  park+9+vinylmation+dole+whip.jpg
Views: 415
Size:  16.7 KB

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast