Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries
    Let's see what they have done so far...

After opening, oops, we screwed up the Marketing, and brought more Disney Characters to the park.

Shade in queues, oops, they had to redo the Soarin' queue to add it....

Then we got Millionaire (but of course, wiithout the Pre-Show they offer at WDW), but that was closed last year....

Closing down of restaurants and food stands, lost of major sponsors (Wolfgang Puck, Robert Mondavi)

Shutting down of Superstar Limo less than a year after it opened.

Then we got Flik's Fun Faire, nice themeing, but the rides are lame, one kiddie ride with a height restriction, and another that takes longer to load than to ride (Hemilich's)

Replacing Soap Opera Bistro with Playhouse Disney.

Bringing in ToT Lite, but still many guests do not want to ride a high thrill drop ride, looking for a family ride that all can enjoy together.

The special summer events, Music (not "concert") series, X-Games event, etc. Alll things that didn't really help the park.

So far, what they have done at DCA has not been a fix at all, so based on the track record... the answer to the thread's question... No!

• Baybeh!

It can be done, it's just going to take ten years at this pace! I would start adding 2 rides a year for the next 5 years, right at the start of the next Resort budget. A mixed level of attractions from A to E. And as much as it pains me to say it, the last of the original parking lot would fall victim to all this. Drastic measures are needed. You could almost call this a "Phase 2" of DCA...

Keep in mind, this is all on the cuff. Some or all may not even be plausible...

L.A. expantion would be a good thing. Complete with a mock version of the Hollywood hills, Hollywood Sign, Grauman’s Chinese and Griffith Observatory. Theme the area to 1930s/1940s LA, with a red street car ride like the ones that use to run the streets back then. Bring The Great Movie Ride in from Disney/MGM to be placed in the Chinese, etc. Extend Sunset Boulevard into this section somehow and place Rockin Roller Coaster at the end in a "Sunset Strip" section. Tie it around to the pier area with a mock Santa Monica pier sign and a walkway. A throw to LA freeways has to be here too. What is LA without it’s freeways? A “Test Track” sort of ride would be a cool way of doing so. Even to the point of where you get caught in a traffic jam a some points in the ride

I would add a big stunt show in Hollywood Backlot. (Right where Millionaire, and Superstar Limo are sitting.) Maybe the Indy show from Disney/MGM, or an all new Pirates of the Carribean: Curse of the Black Pearl stunt spectacular! That may be a perfect one since Disney is really interested in cashing in on that franchise at the moment. The much rumored Monsters Inc. Ride would also work into this corner too. (Placed into the Hollywood and Dine area) I have always considered Hollywood Backlot to be the best theme part of the park, and it is easy to continue building it up...

I did also like Jspider’s San Diego idea, which I would place right next to the pier. Concentrate on the origins of San Diego, harking back to the missionary days. It may be kind of hard to work around the religious implications of this concept, but this is a park based on California, and what would California be without a mention to the missions that blanket the state. It could even be an “Edutainment” experience. The other thing I would throw a mention to is surfing. San Diego would be a good way of doing so. Some sort of new, cool and hi-tech surfing attraction would do the trick. Tie in The Little Mermaid ride to the surfing area and back to Paradise Pier.

The other area of the park needing big time help is the “San Francisco” area. Which at the moment is more like a mention of San Fran, than an actual area. A Cable Car would be a start and beyond that...This area has really bad size restriction problem and I am not too sure there is room beyond that.

Attractions and shows (For those of you with short attention spans)
    - Monsters Inc Darkride
    - Rockin' Roller Coaster
    - Little Mermaid Darkride
    - Pirates or Indy stunt show
    - Red Street Car Trolley
    - California Mission Show or experience
    - Great Movie Ride
    - Surfing Attraction
    - LA Freeway ride
    - San Francisco Cable Car

So, off the top of my head, there you go. I don't think the park is a lost cause, I just don't think Disney is moving fast enough to solve the problem.

• Lord of the Ribs

I'm going to dissent here and say it's not broken. Is it perfect? Nope. But it has great potential with attractions such as Soarin, Screamin, and Tower. They need to retool the theme, replace about half of the Pier area, and give the park another couple e-tix using truly whizbang technology.

I actually like the park. It's not DL, but then what is?

Eat meat. Your daddy sez it's good for ya.

• e komo mai

One exciting change would be to have the whole Paradise Pier area taken out and replaced with something truly fun. I have been to DCA a ton of times and have walked through that area once.

Quote Originally Posted by Orcatime
    Even though I've never been to DCA (and to hear from some people I should consider myself lucky) I think the CA History darkride is entirely doable. Monterey's Cannery Row has a hokey $5/person, tourist-trapish wax musem with a narration about the history of Monterey and Cannery Row. The narrator "says" he's John Steinbeck (although from what I've learned about him John would never had supported it).

ANYWAYS, I would definitely be willing to support a CA history-themed ride. Heck, give me a week and I could easily comeup with a whole bunch of ideas set in style of an omnimover or Great Movie Ride. Suffice to say I know my CA history, like the fact that CA is one of 3 states that wasn't a territory first.
    cool

I suppose that gives you an edge over me, I haven't seen Golden dreams and I don't know all that much about Californian history

I was thinking about using the ride system from Epcot's Energy Adventure (since it's pretty nifty but isn't really used much)

the two drive sequences for it I was thinking of would be one through untamed California or whatever (pre gold rush very few settlers period) and then Modern Cali (perhaps the Streets of San Fran since I was thinking about putting this in a San Fransisco Expansion, of course it could also be in San Diego too )

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini Cricket
    One exciting change would be to have the whole Paradise Pier area taken out and replaced with something truly fun. I have been to DCA a ton of times and have walked through that area once.
    this would be the point at which I add that my Little Mermaid darkride would add so much to the Pier in this respect and help balance the thrills and the theme

the Pier would be a great magical setting to both enter and leave a magical world from (if done artfully)

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini Cricket
    Yeah I agree Take out the Paradise Pier area, and put something else in.
    HERE, HERE!!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • June 3rd, 2011

I always thought something should be happening in the water near Paradise Pier. Set it up as a wave pool and have surfers surf it during the day. I know here in Santa Cruz, people will sit up here on the cliffs for hours to watch the waves and surfers. Every summer they could hold a real surf contest just like Typhoon Lagoon in Florida which is a surf stop on the pro tour. How many tourist that come in actually make it to the beach to watch some real surfing?
    PirateMunkee

Visit My Horror Designs Store!!!

• Baybeh!

Quote Originally Posted by PirateMunkee
    I always thought something should be happening in the water near Paradise Pier. Set it up as a wave pool and have surfers surf it during the day. I know here in Santa Cruz, people will sit up here on the cliffs for hours to watch the waves and surfers. Every summer they could hold a real surf contest just like Typhoon Lagoon in Florida which is a surf stop on the pro tour. How many tourist that come in actually make it to the beach to watch some real surfing?
    I dig it!

didn't they use to have a wave ball in the water there before? I could have swarn the water looked like simulated ocean at one time. Would only make sense considering that it is an ocean side pier and not a lake!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • June 3rd, 2011

Quote Originally Posted by swagdaddy
    I dig it!

didn't they use to have a wave ball in the water there before? I could have swarn the water looked like simulated ocean at one time. Would only make sense considering that it is an ocean side pier and not a lake!
    I've seen the ripples, er I mean waves in action. I think the waves would be about knee high to a mouse. I'm talking real waves here. Typhoon Lagoon has the capability to create 8 foot waves which is huge. I usually surf waves that are 3-5 feet. Paradise Pier should have 5 foot waves going all the time. Have some surfers, bodyboarders, knee boarders, and surf kayakers out there. I would volunteer to bodyboard out there for free provided the waves are nice enough
    PirateMunkee

Visit My Horror Designs Store!!!

• Master of Disaster

Quote Originally Posted by swagdaddy

I would add a big stunt show in Hollywood Backlot. (Right where Millionaire, and Superstar Limo are sitting.) Maybe the Indy show from Disney/MGM, or an all new Pirates of the Carribean: Curse of the Black Pearl stunt spectacular! That may be a perfect one since Disney is really interested in cashing in on that franchise at the moment. The much rumored Monsters Inc. Ride would also work into this corner too. (Placed into the Hollywood and Dine area) I have always considered Hollywood Backlot to be the best theme part of the park, and it is easy to continue building it up...
    for this pirates show all you really have to do is look to las vegas! the small area but high caliber show that they have at the treasure island is exactly what disneyland needs. not saying the exact show but the idea of having say tortuga (sp?) and the pirates docked there then another ship comes around and they have a huge stunt battle ending with one of the ships sinking. If disney adds there own special flair to it I think this could be one of the best things in DCA.

• Minion

Well, personally, I think I could live happily without ever seeing another stunt show. But, since HPB's northern side is all ripe for renovation, why not create a large E ticket about movie magic, using "Curse" as the theme? Use Universe of Energy as the model. Have a preshow with Gore Verbinski talking about how movie magic is created. Then the guests board the vehicles and ride through the magic.

• Senior Minion

Yeah that would be Cool But then You turn tidy bowl blue from the die they put in the water.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by TicTocDragon
    Yeah that would be Cool But then You turn tidy bowl blue from the die they put in the water.
    Then just buy the rights to build a Smurfs village.

• Senior Minion

What should they do?

Change the name. The park is neither an adventure, or much about California (Where *is* the Hollywood sign in that park? Or the redwoods?)

Dynamite Paradise Pier. Get rid of the entire carnival atmosphere. How is that related to California?

It needs two more E-tickets. Put people on Aladdin's flying carpets with Robin Williams' Genie. Move in a copy of Mickey's Philharmagic (and let's face it, sooner or later, they're going to bring that here).

The animation exhibit just isn't bringing people in. It's got to be reworked.

I thought they had experimented with putting in fountains a la the Bellagio. It probably would have taken money out of the couch painting budget.

Then they tell the landscapers to go nuts. More planters, more trees, more flower beds. Make it all picturesque. Make it so beautiful that you can't walk through the park without shooting a couple of rolls of film.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast