Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

DCA needs to have a central focus. With out bulldozing and starting over its hard to see how to repair this park.

There are two possible directions to go. One is to really spend the bucks, wipe major areas, and start over with a better them, such as Americal Historical theme (Disney’s America), or something totally new (or borrowed from Disneyseas)

Ok, that having been said. Let’s go with some thing that really allows for the use the current placement of rides and attractions with a minimum amount of changes (at least compared to bulldozing) to the overall landscape.

Disney wants to buddy up with Pixar, and Pixar wants attractions for their projects. Use DCA for that. It’s already on its way with Bugs land. Turn Disney’s California Adventure in to Disney Cartoon Adventure - drop the whole California theme.

Hollywood BackLot becomes Cartoon City. This is the place where cartoons are made. They may live in Toontown, but this is where they come to work.

Tower of Terror: Since its new, it could stay, but would need some rethemeing to fit the new vision.

Disney Animation: This can stay and would become a major showcase previewing coming attractions to DCA and Disney Feature animation. This keeps the show(s) fresh and visitors returning.

Hyperion Theater: It’s too big to just dump. I’d go with more live action versions of Disney Feature animation.

Jim Henson's Muppet Vision 3D: Since it backs up against the numerous shops of the entry way there is plenty of room to put in a new attraction on the size and scale of Mansion/Indy. Perhaps one based on Scrooge McDuck, Magica Dispell, Beatle Boys and Unca Scrooge's famous number one dime.

Superstar Limo: This is already being altered for Monsters, inc.

Paradise Pier
    It’s very popular with the teen crowd, so let’s focus on that. This where Disney Toons come to party as well to take a break from the hustle and bustle of filmmaking.

California Screamin. Rename to fit the new theme.
    Sun Wheel: Rename to fit the new theme.
    Maliboomer: Rename to fit the new theme.
    King Triton's Carousel: Rename to fit the new theme

Games of the Boardwalk: Dump these. They are insult to Walt. Replace this entire area with bumper cars.

Dump Golden Zephyr, s.s. rustworthy, Orange Stinger, and Jumpin' Jellyfish. Put in a Bumper boat ride like MM old El Bumpo with a generic cartoon overlay. Use part of the space for a decent boat dock for future water parades.

Mulholland Madness: Use this space and part of the numerous restaurants for a Lilo and Stich dark ride in the same vision as Alice.

Golden State
    This area is the hardest because its so diverse, no common theme fits. The best is this is where the “uncivilized” toons live.

It's Tough to be a Bug :
    A Bugs Land: This can stay although expand the area into the Timon parking lot and replace Heimlichs Chew Chew Train with a version mini-coaster along the lines of Gadget’s Go Coaster themed to for Heimlich.

Mission Tortilla Factory, Boudin Bakery, and Bountiful Valley Farm: Replace this section with an area themed for Toy story. Add a suspended Coaster themed accordingly. Expand even more into the Timon parking lot and add a toy story spinner (dumbo clone). Use part of the existing buildings for a single, sit down buffet, toy story restaurant using large oversized objects to simulate being the size of toys.

Grizzly River Run: This gets a brother bear overlay.

Golden Dreams: Dump the show and use the building for dark rides based on Finding Nemo or Little mermaid – use the Peter Pan ride system to help simulate underwater movement.

I'm at a loss for the entire Condor Flats. It would do well be the home of Monsters Inc by dropping the Aviation theme and adding more industrial.
    It would also do well as Cape Suzette from Tailspin. Neither holds true to the vision of each area being a common "toon" theme, and instead focuses on a single cartoon feature.

Golden Vine Winery, Vacant lot near Redwood Creek Challenge and Redwood Creek Challenge itself, Millionaire, and Hollywood Backlot Stage: I’d go beg Oriental land Company and Imagineering to come up with some really wiz-bang attractions to razzle-dazzle me.

Quote Originally Posted by Wotan
    What should they do?

Change the name. The park is neither an adventure, or much about California (Where *is* the Hollywood sign in that park? Or the redwoods?)

Dynamite Paradise Pier. Get rid of the entire carnival atmosphere. How is that related to California?
    you realize a name change would only confound and confuse most people (especialy since the park would not be reopend as an entirly new experience in one day) as far as the Hollywood sign goes I believe that it is copywrited and Disney did not want to be constantly paying a fee to have it in their park, I have no idea about the redwoods really

Paradise Pier is relativly fine as far as tourists go (mostly hardcore fans are going to hate it but it looks nice at night) Disney would do better to add in some themeing to make it look more turn of the century (or perhaps recently refurbished turn of the centurey) less modern crud though, then they should add my mermaid darkride to give the area a magical feel

as far as the Pier relating to California goes California used to have alot of ocean side theme parks and Paradise Pier is just trying to capture that feeling (my dad talks about one he used to go to all the time as a kid growing up in California)

It needs two more E-tickets. Put people on Aladdin's flying carpets with Robin Williams' Genie. Move in a copy of Mickey's Philharmagic (and let's face it, sooner or later, they're going to bring that here).

The animation exhibit just isn't bringing people in. It's got to be reworked.

DCA needs more then two E-tickets and we will see them added on throughout the coming years

Aladdin's magic carpets would be a horrid addition to DCA as it would NOT match the theme (it's already a disgrace in DSP and was a last second addition to that park, it's designed for Adventureland you realize, I suppose Disneyland could update their adventureland entrance with it so that there would be two spinners in the hub... ugh that orbiter really needs to move up onto the platform like WDW's)

Philharmagic isn't really needed anytime soon (DCA has movie based attractions coming out it's EARS) maybe in a few years but honestly DCA needs rides and things that are well thought out not quick patches

as far as reworking animation goes as of right now DCA has the best version of Animation in existance (WDW killed off the real animators deal and DSP has the poor man's version of what DCA has) I suppose if you really wanted to add something to it you could merge it with Philharmagic and make it combination Animation exibit and Philharmagic 3D attraction

• Senior Minion

How about this e-ticket idea for DCA?

Not that it would ever happen, but if anything is about dreams, it's Disney...

What if WDI was to take the technology of Epcot Test Track (not the ride, just the high speed vehicle tech) and apply it to a ride where it took visitors on a fast trip down selected parts of the Pacific Coast Highway?

Certainly there's enough scenery, twists and curves (add bird effects, seals and sea lions, cross a waterfall, sunset on the beach), etc to make it a compelling, and California-related ride.

Note--I didn't know they'd already tried Aladdin. Given the lack of e-ticket space across the plaza, though, what other ideas do folks have for a completely new, $10 million-dollar-ticket E-ticket for DCA?

• Old Timer

If I had the unfortunate job of trying to clean up the DCA debacle i would deep six every possible reference of "DCA or Disney's California Adventure"

For the interim just let it be known as a part of Disneyland, no reference of any other name than it being a part of DL (or Eisner) and then...

Remove all the tacky carny rides...

Plants trees! more trees! live trees, fiberglas trees! clothes trees!

And then do an extensive guest survey of what they want.
    Micechat member # 98

TARDIS
    "Time And Relative Dimension In Space."

Not that it would ever happen, but if anything is about dreams, it's Disney...

What if WDI was to take the technology of Epcot Test Track (not the ride, just the high speed vehicle tech) and apply it to a ride where it took visitors on a fast trip down selected parts of the Pacific Coast Highway?

Certainly there's enough scenery, twists and curves (add bird effects, seals and sea lions, cross a waterfall, sunset on the beach), etc to make it a compelling, and California-related ride.

Note--I didn't know they'd already tried Aladdin. Given the lack of e-ticket space across the plaza, though, what other ideas do folks have for a completely new, $10 million-dollar-ticket E-ticket for DCA?
    actualy from what I've been hearing from sources over at MouseInfo, we may be looking at a new Eticket in 2007 that uses the Test Track ride system (this was dirived from the clues given that it would be the fastest ride at the resort and would use a ride system found at two other disney parks *Journy to the Center of the Earth and Test Track are they same ride system* and also that it's theme may have something to do with an upcoming pixar film )

and if you'll check out the expansion room they've got in my LA expansion plan (I put a link on the first page of this thread) you'll see how much room DCA really has to expand

if they use the space correctly it can go a long way (note that the LA expansion thing I drew up is scaled to the approximate size of the Space Mountain area in DLR)

• Always dreaming

I think that an expanded Bay Area behind the Pacific Wharf restaurants could be home to:
    1. The Streets of San Francsico - a simulation car chase through the winding and steep streets of SFO (remember Bullitt?)
    2. New Horizons - celebrating the silicon valley and a modern successor of the much-missed Horizons. Big on AA, low on thrills, and huge on space, so that may be a mediocre idea in the long run, but an idea nonetheless.

Wasn't the San Francisco street supposed to have a place to see artists painting and sculpting?

In Hollywood:
    1. For thrills, a Rockin' Roller Coaster, of perhaps a Jazz'n Roller Coaster, for the sake of originality
    2. A monoral station
    3. An American version of Cinemagique, replacing Hollywood and Dine.
    4. A new backlot stunt show - maybe a reworking of Lights, Camera, Chaos

I just entertained a family from England. They really enjoyed DCA. If we compare it to Disneyland it will always fall short. Given time, money, and a little attention from the imaginears it can only get better. A day at DCA is still better then working! (that doesn't go for all you DCA CM'S)

• Vehicle rotating backward

(Note: Loooooong post ahead, but you asked what I'd do with the place...)

Theme is pretty limited without a berm, although I think critics have been too hard on a lack of DCA berm, since Disneyland, even though they planted trees, didn't have such a big berm at first, either!

I say: Drop the California theme, tear out all these movierides, and begin indentifying yourself as Disney's park for older people. Seriously, kick out the characters and get some steelies like, to name one park, Knott's, but for goodness sakes don't take the same designs they do (Maliboomer, argh!). Coasters don't need a berm, can't use one anyway. Ideally, they can get two regular coasters (one indoors, one outdoors) and one inventive outdoors one. Sell that Ferris Wheel and Chain Bucket because every park in the world has one of those and it'll only get in the way of your track. Keep Tower of Terror and Hyperion.

Take out any cheesy stuff like carny games. Yes, we're heading into Knott's and (to an extent) Six Flags territory, but we're going to do it elegantly. Rides won't be as broken down, the employees won't be as surly, the place won't look as junky as Six Flags Overflushing.

The hardest rides are in the back. From Hollywood, through A Bug's Land all the way up to Screamin'. We want to put these back there so that they don't wake up the Grand Californian or make too much noise in the Esplenade. Nothing but cheap burgers n' hot dogs are available around this side of the park, and certainly no alcohol, because we don't want it easy for someone to step into the life of a vomit comet with a brewski in their hand. All in all, this park has four coasters (our indoor coaster [RnR?], our outdoor coaster, Screamin, and our unique coaster) and a few thrill rides such as the rapids, Maliboomer, and Tower of Terror.

Since we want to draw more than coaster fanatics (you'll find out why below), make some reasons to go that are clearly designed at an older audience. Secure one of those highly-acclaimed Disney plays from Broadway and put it in the Hyperion. This show will cost admission, it is only available as packaged-in to your DCA ticket. There's a higher priced tier ticket to this park that includes going to see the show, and they check your park ticket at the door. A Park-Hopper + Show ticket will be advertised as the ultimate experience at the resort. While this will be more than the usual Park-Hopper, it won't be that much more, because nobody likes to spend that much money and find they have to spend even yet more to see EVERYTHING.

Over by the river rapids, we rehab the winery and the tortilla factory into some restaurant options that are a cut above the stuff served near the coaster lines. Alcohol is also served over here. Management is really big on the latino population right now, so one of these places should Mexican food as well as some traditional items with a south of the border twist.

Maybe you could put a dance club out by the lake (I don't know what the layout of the former Puck place looks like, but that kind of view over the water is what I'm thinking of.) This might be more of a nuisance, though, as that kind of atmosphere seems to invite drugs and violence. But if they could pull it off at WDW, they could pull off a smaller one here.

Here comes the elegant part that I was talking about before:

Lastly, where they currently have the McDonald's and the carny rides like the parachutes and the mad mouse and the climb-on boat that barely counts as an attraction, everything gets ripped up and a new weenie is built. This should be something unlike anything else in the theme parks division.The new weenie should have a restaurant inside it. Size-wise I'm not thinking of something as huge as a Space Needle here, more like the LAX theme building, I guess. Although it's been so many years since I've seen it I might be thinking it's smaller than it really is. If the weenie restaurant is high enough to see the fireworks coming from DL (see below) it would be nice, but that's not a priority.

The restaurant inside the weenie building serves gourmet-quality food and wine. Reservations are reccomended. On most nights, this restaurant is fancier than Blue Bayou but not as not as exclusive as Club 33. However, companies or any other group that can afford it can book far in advance (farther than individual customers can make reservations) to book the whole restaurant for a whole night. These bookings are very expensive and Club 33 level service and meals is expected.

The nationwide marketing for this park will have two themes that resonate with the same message. That Disneyland is a park for all members of the family, while this park is for the older members of the family.

One side of the marketing will be advertising the thrill rides and coasters. An older child, a teenager, or a young adult of the iPod Generation who normally roll their eyes and groan when told the whole family is going to Disney and they're expected to come should see these ads and want to go.

The other advertisement will be romantic and aimed at adults. A couple is spending a day at Disneyland. A quick montage shows them walking through the castle drawbridge, getting their picture taken with Mickey, riding on a Jungle Cruise boat. Suddently, a view of the Grand Californian at dusk. Our couple is in their room and getting ready for their special night, putting away the Goofy shirt and the Mickey Ears hat and putting on some nice (but not stuffy) clothes. They're next seen in the Hyperion watching the Broadway play as the announcer tells you that there's a whole new adult experience to be had at the Disneyland Resort, including a highly acclaimed Broadway show. The ad closes out with the phone number and "call for travel packages" pitch as our TV couple eats at the weenie restaurant. If it's up in the air, they see the fireworks launching from DL outside their window.

So, with all this you've attracted the following markets:

1. Families with older children
    2. Thrill junkies
    3. Couples/Romantics
    4. West-coasters who want to see that quality musical that was getting rave reviews and think a trip to the ol' theme park would do them some good, too.
    5. Corporate parties
    6. And of course, the usual array of AP visitors and the tourists who came for Disneyland and are now wondering what's going on next door.

The only question is could the company do it? I think they could. If they could get Pleasure Island off the ground in WDW, they could certainly handle this as nothing here is any more adult-oriented than that is.

So, anybody like my idea? Hate it? Call me a blasphemer and sacrifice my skull at the temple of Disney tradition? What?

• DL Fanatic

Sequoia National Park, CA (trying to get to Orange County)
    Been thinking about this for a while? :P

• Junior Senior

You know, just given comparative lists of attractions, I think DCA on opening was a better park than DL on opening. I was certainly surprised by how much I didn't hate it when I finally went after a few years...I think the online Disney community is an echo chamber where the small details missing from DCA fester and seem to be more significant than they really are.

My boyfriend would actually rather spend time at DCA than DL. He prefers the theming (I know! he's mad) and likes that the place is less crowded, it's easier to get around, etc.

That said, I for one would like more emphasis on a centralized hub (and, yes, a new weenie) to add a focus to the park the second you walk in. A few years ago I had an idea for an attraction that would synthesize a bunch of the weird houses built (in CA obviously) by eccentric zillionaires (some combination of the more interesting features of Hearst Castle, the Winchester Mystery House, and a few others) which I think would do well. I wrote up the details someplace but I haven't got them here. I wanted to call it "Castle California" to tie in with an ad campaign that "now there are two castles at the Disneyland Resort"...start at SBC and then pan over slowly to the weird old house of DCA, with, you know, reproductions of Renaissance statues festooning the exterior, the Winchester spiderweb windows, etc. I think it would add a really interesting, eccentric flair to the park that would complement the whole mall atmosphere nicely. This could also be merged with some of the California history. I agree that the park could use more edutainment...I don't think you can appreciate California much at all without knowing its history. It would be cool to get someone from a travel book company involved in future developments. I think that the author of Lonely Planet California could tell WDI what people expect from a park about CA a lot better than the average CA native.

Okay, I've got to go to class. I like how many amateur Imagineers have crawled out of the woodwork for this one

California Adventure lacks the creativity, originality, and pride that imagineers used to display.The way I see it, if I'm going to go to Calif. to see Calif., I'll see the real stuff, but If I go to Disneyland I want to see the stuff dreams are made of. I think the park can be fixed however. I figure the best way to save California Adventure, is to rebuild. With the current rides, buildings, and potential expansion land, CA could be turned into a DisneySea park. Some of the rides already have a counterpart in Tokyo, ToT, Jumpin Jellyfish, etc. Other CA attractions could be modified, Soarin to match Lost River Delta, the entrance could even remain with a San Francisco theme, the possiblities are endless. With some imagination, and unfortunately lots of money, this park could be converted into a 5-star attraction in no time!

Quote Originally Posted by kevdo
    I'd retheme The Bay Area and Condor Flats areas to become a larger Grizzly Peak Recreation Area. With Soarin' this is very doable and I'd tear out the movie theatre in BA and replace it with some sort of "nature" themed ride.

For HPBL - use the space vacated by Millionaire, SSL, and Hollywood and Dine to build a new D or preferrably E ticket ride. Rockin' Roller Coaster might fit thematically. No, a Monsters Inc. overlay on SSL is not what the doctor ordered.

For Paradise Pier, I'd replace the Orange Stinger and Jumpin Jellyfish with something that either a) smaller kids can ride or b) something more exciting. Preferrably something that isn't a cycle ride. It might be cool to add some sort of boat ride on the lake.

Would love to see a Gold Rush themed POTC-type ride. Not sure where they could physically fit in the park (since it would thematically work best near Grizzly Peak).
    I love those ideas. Especialy the POTC type ride. That could really be something with today's technology. As far as rockin' rollercoaster. It was reported on my board, a long while back, that when they installed the electric circuits (or whatever they are called) for tot, that they also installed enough for Rockin' Rollercoaster, or another large E ticket ride. Does anyone have info that confirms or denies this? If that is true then there may already be plans for another huge attraction in the works. Something original to DL would be better than another clone, but I'll take RR anyday!

They should have the Monorail stop in DCA.

Quote Originally Posted by Niyxstyx
    California Adventure lacks the creativity, originality, and pride that imagineers used to display.The way I see it, if I'm going to go to Calif. to see Calif., I'll see the real stuff, but If I go to Disneyland I want to see the stuff dreams are made of. I think the park can be fixed however. I figure the best way to save California Adventure, is to rebuild. With the current rides, buildings, and potential expansion land, CA could be turned into a DisneySea park. Some of the rides already have a counterpart in Tokyo, ToT, Jumpin Jellyfish, etc. Other CA attractions could be modified, Soarin to match Lost River Delta, the entrance could even remain with a San Francisco theme, the possiblities are endless. With some imagination, and unfortunately lots of money, this park could be converted into a 5-star attraction in no time!
    no, Disney should save the DisneySea ideas for a third gate

if you tried to rebuild DCA into something totaly different like that you would end up with the park looking uglier and the whole theme would be conviluted

the best thing Disney can do is work through the California theme in some imaginative and exciting ways

• -Going Retro-

I don't necessarily hate DCA but I don't love it either. One issue that just can't stand is the lack of shade. You have these enormous walk ways around the park with benches every what? Two feet :confused: but no shade. Maybe that will come in time who knows. It really annoys me. I can not stand the games area in Paradise Pier! They need to remove those ASAP.

I'm sure eventually the park will be fixed to a certain extent but it will never have the full "Disney magic" that other parks have. I just think it's too far gone. I will say this, they did a great job with the food I love the dinning choices at DCA much more then Disneyland.
    Last edited by Disguy; 01-19-2005 at 10:32 AM.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast