Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Mickey's Toontown not classically Disney??

I agree with the original post in saying that Toontown is not classically Disney, but I disagree with the premise of Toontown being a mistake. I think that it is a well-themed little section of the park. I always make sure to take a little time everytime I visit the park to leisurely walk up and down Toontown to admire the architecture, inside gags (I've never seen much mention of the windows in Toontown), etc. Not everything in Disneyland must be a thrill ride. Also, I'd like to point out that the Toontown of "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" is at least somewhat of a Disney creation since it does differ from the considerably seedier version seen in Gary Wolfe's novel. Also, while not classically Disney perhaps in whole, I do see considerable influences from "classic Disney." Some of the "tooniness" or looniness in the land and attractions (Mickey's house for example) reminds me of the 1940s Donald Duck cartoons and the late 1920s/early 1930s Mickey Mouse and Silly Symphonies cartoons. In many of those cartoons, inanimate objects such as telephones, radios, alarm clocks, houses, and cars come to life. The Clock Watcher and Traffic Troubles (which can be seen at the Main Street Cinema) are examples of cartoons that remind me of Disneyland's Toontown. Also, I can see a hint of Duckburg in Toontown as well.

Name:  Traffic+Troubles+1.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  18.8 KB
    Here's an image from Traffic Troubles. To me at least, Disney cartoons such as these remind me of Toontown.

I've never analyzed if it's "Disney" or not, but I think it's cute.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Keaton View Post
    I agree with the original post in saying that Toontown is not classically Disney, but I disagree with the premise of Toontown being a mistake. I think that it is a well-themed little section of the park. I always make sure to take a little time everytime I visit the park to leisurely walk up and down Toontown to admire the architecture, inside gags (I've never seen much mention of the windows in Toontown), etc. Not everything in Disneyland must be a thrill ride. Also, I'd like to point out that the Toontown of "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" is at least somewhat of a Disney creation since it does differ from the considerably seedier version seen in Gary Wolfe's novel. Also, while not classically Disney perhaps in whole, I do see considerable influences from "classic Disney." Some of the "tooniness" or looniness in the land and attractions (Mickey's house for example) reminds me of the 1940s Donald Duck cartoons and the late 1920s/early 1930s Mickey Mouse and Silly Symphonies cartoons. In many of those cartoons, inanimate objects such as telephones, radios, alarm clocks, houses, and cars come to life. The Clock Watcher and Traffic Troubles (which can be seen at the Main Street Cinema) are examples of cartoons that remind me of Disneyland's Toontown. Also, I can see a hint of Duckburg in Toontown as well.
    I couldn't have said what you just said any better myself. I imagine it is the way it is partially because if the land ended up looking like how it did in Mickey's Birthdayland, it would relatively boring and very low-rent.
    My top favorite Disneyland attractions:

1. Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
    2. Pirates of the Caribbean
    3. Splash Mountain
    4. Mad Tea Party
    5. Peter Pan's Flight
    6. Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by sbk1234 View Post
    I'd have to say I agree with this quote.
    +1.

Toontown began, as the blog post pointed out, as part of the marketing synergy initiative that included the Disney Afternoon's Bonkers (itself a shameless ripoff of Roger Rabbit) and Rescue Rangers.

Toontown is definitely not classical Disney. In style and soul it's part Roger Rabbit, a lot The Disney Afternoon, and all Eisner-era marketeering -- a self-conscious mishmash of elements from Disney, MGM and Warner Bros. classic era shorts which, to the dismay of fans of those shorts, was dumbed down and aimed strictly at the kiddie set. The embarrassment of its execution is enhanced by the nearly two decades of neglect -- creative and otherwise -- that the corporate minds of Disney have dumped on it.
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 09-23-2012 at 07:17 PM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Disneylandfan85 View Post
    I saw on this blog about Walt Disney World (*Passport to Dreams Old & New) that according to the writer, being based on "Who Framed Roger Rabbit", Mickey's Toontown is not classically Disney, compared even to Mickey's house in Mickey's Birthdayland (the thread is about how wonderful Storybook Circus is shaping up to be). Here's what the blog said about it:

It probably seems like I'm being very down on Roger Rabbit, and I'm not. The film is wonderful, and it's grown into a real classic. But replicating the style of the "Toontown" sequence into an entire area which only the Disney characters inhabit was a real mistake. That style was only ever devised to make a universe where Mickey Mouse and Bugs Bunny - two characters who starred in very different films from very different studios - live in the same place and seem credible. The style of Who Framed Roger Rabbit is not that of Disney animation. It wasn't even released as a Disney film, but under the "Touchstone" banner invented by Ron Miller in the early 80s.
    According to Mouse Under Glass, Disney wanted to bring back the "beleaugered Disney banner" for Roger Rabbit, but thought better of it because, "at the time, Disney was more associated with films like Unidentified Flying Oddball." Also, I imagine some of the more adult content of the film influenced releasing it under the Touchstone banner - not that that stopped me from loving it when it came out, when I was seven years old. In the Making of Roger Rabbit TV special, director Rob Zemeckis said he felt it was a film they were making "for Walt."

There is also something to be said about the wisdom of attempting to recreate this particular visual style at all: buildings designed to move and sway and sing are one thing, but building the style necessarily involves freezing it into plaster and lathe and in that process something is lost.
    She's got a point, but I still say the visual style is awesome. Something is always going to be lost in the transition from a medium that exists in drawings or on a computer to a medium that exists in the real, physical world.

Toontown opened when I was twelve. I remember looking at the pictures of the designs in Disney News magazine and being blown away. The inflated, warped style is more inventive than anything Disney has done lately.

Yet by 1993, the "Toontown" concept had already spread like crab grass. Some of you may remember the "Bonkers" cartoon of the early 90s, with Bonkers being a Toontown cop, an unacknowledged riff of the Roger Rabbit franchise.
    As I understand it, Disney wanted to do a Roger Rabbit cartoon series, but they couldn't because of the legal wrangles. Thus they invented Bonkers, who was 100% theirs. I'd like to point out that virtually every movie that could be remotely marketed to kids was being made into a cartoon series in the 80's and 90's. Conan the Barbarian had a cartoon. Evolution had a cartoon, and I don't think anyone even went to see that movie.

I do think Disney television animation was trying to be less and less Disney and emulate the "edgier" cartoons of Warner Bros. and Nickelodeon throughout the 90's . But their theme park competition wasn't doing anything that looked like Toontown. (Or at least, not that I'm aware of), and it still feels Disney-er than most of what they were doing on TV.

What Disneyland built in 1993 is what people of that era would have expected to see, and there is of course a Roger Rabbit ride nearby to motivate the style. But doing so means that the "Toontown" concept was replacing over sixty years of visual continuity of films and in cartoons and even theme parks. Despite the name, this was in no way "Mickey's" Toontown.
    There's definitely an influence from the other cartoon studios, mainly in the Downtown area, but it is supposed to be Toontown, the place where all Toons live, even if we don't see them walking around, because they're busy walking around someone else's theme park. The "Mickey's" was to let you know this was the place you went to meet Mickey - and speaking of which, the Disney characters' houses were designed to emulate their physical features.

The look is rounded, bright, inviting - I don't see anything blatantly un-Disney.

To me, the only problem with Toontown is a lack of rides. Rip out the McDonald's Playland and put in an E-ticket and/or a couple of C or D tickets and you'll have a great, distinct-to-Disneyland land.

Note: I'm against the shiny plastic cartoony prop look outside of Toontown, like the big cartoony hunny pots in Critter Country - that doesn't mix at all. Then again, the Winnie-the-Pooh ride was originally supposed to go in Toontown, which makes even less sense to me, but oh well...
    Last edited by animagusurreal; 09-24-2012 at 12:25 AM.
    "Happy Working Song" parody for DCA remodel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-TYESfNTP8&feature=plcp

Retro Rant Review of "The Hunchback of Notre Dame II" (comedy review of direct-to-video
    Disney sequel):
    Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../1/q1j7FU8QXu0
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../0/sasNTMDRBLU

Retro Rant Review of "Home on the Range" (comedy review of Disney movie):
    Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7mC-...feature=relmfu
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoUie...feature=relmfu
    Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3Vea...feature=relmfu

Visit my site: http://www.vividgroovy.com

Pratfall the albatross superheroine visits the Carthay Circle Theatre.

• Quintessential Studmuffin

in So Cal but my mind is in disneyland!!!

I don't hate Toon Town, but it really seems out of place in Disneyland. I would rather have an extended Fantasyland in its place. TT is a better fit for DCA anyways.

• Banned User

I think this is absolutely ridiculous idea. Toon Town is a great land and fits in just fine where it is and how it is. It's one of the best themed lands they've ever designed.

Quote Originally Posted by DARTH MAUL View Post
    I think this is absolutely ridiculous idea. Toon Town is a great land and fits in just fine where it is and how it is. It's one of the best themed lands they've ever designed.
    Again, I agree.
    My top favorite Disneyland attractions:

1. Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
    2. Pirates of the Caribbean
    3. Splash Mountain
    4. Mad Tea Party
    5. Peter Pan's Flight
    6. Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin

• Minion

I agree that it's technically "not Mickey's Toontown", but it works in my opinion. Plus, I was watching a Mickey cartoon (I don't know how old it was), but his house pretty much looked like the one in the park. If I were to visualize a place where Mickey and the gang lived, it would look like Toontown. I wish they'd spruce it up; add some new paint and other things. And add a new ride.

I'd be happy with a classic, true to original concept Mickey land. I'm talking about the era when Walt Disney was alive. I think it'd be really nice and cool, if don right. For now, I'm very pleased with Toontown.

I just want to add that Toontown isn't the only non-classical Disney thing in the park. Star Tours and Indiana Jones aren't classical either, but they work with the park. If they happen to work with the park, what would it matter if they're classic or not?
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

• Cunning infiltrator

I love Toontown too!

Listen to the W.A.C.K.Y. Toon Radio at Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin queue where Baby Sherman is listening too. You can find the source audio too.

Toontown is themed well, even though I think it should not be called Mickey's Toontown, instead it should only be as Toontown like it was in Who Framed Roger Rabbit. Mickey shouldn't really be the Mayor of Toontown.

For all your Furry/Anthro needs!
    http://www.second-ed.com/

Highly recommended Furry/Anthro list:
    http://belfrycomics.net/
    http://furaffinity.net/

•   

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Keaton View Post
    Name:  Traffic+Troubles+1.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  18.8 KB
    Here's an image from Traffic Troubles. To me at least, Disney cartoons such as these remind me of Toontown.

Thank you Buster, you beat me to it. I was out looking for images of old, original Disney cartoons and Toontown always felt in step ( fine, fine, it wasn't a PERFECT match ) with the concepts behind original Disney animation. No complaints here, it's hard to believe how passionate people feel about this topic, it feels overthought to me.
    Your first, your last, your only defense against the scum of the ethereal plane.

<a href=http://westcoastbusters.com/ target=_blank>http://westcoastbusters.com/</a>

• Hello Dolly.

Quote Originally Posted by ducktalesfan5555 View Post
    I don't hate Toon Town, but it really seems out of place in Disneyland. I would rather have an extended Fantasyland in its place. TT is a better fit for DCA anyways.
    I agree Id rather have a Fantasyland extension.

But Toontown itself is a great land. Nothing is cheap here and the details are great. WFRR fits in well with the style of the old Disney cartoons. The problem with Toontown today is that there isn't much to do if you're over a certain age and most effects/buildings now don't work or just sit there empty.

Today, I'd prefer a new land instead of them fixing up Toontown, but if they did bring it back to glory I wouldn't be mad either. At least the land still looks great & fits in my opinion.

• Minion

Maybe the author is jealous that Magic Kingdom's Toontown was inferior to Disneyland's, and it got torn down.
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

When will adults understand that most of Disney's attractions are geared to children and not grown ups trying to relive our childhoods.

While I agree that 'Toontown' is not classically Disney it most definitely is Disney. Additionally, my 5 year old son had a blast in the area and threw a fit when we tried to pry him from Donald's boat. After seeing his excitement in 'Toontown' I came to realize that the area was not intended for me, a 41 year old man. It's intended for children.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast