Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Minion

Re: Autopia -- What Would Be a Better Use of That Space?

I have a feeling that the three Anaheim parks are eventually going to be Disneyland, PixarLand and MarvelLand, not actually named those but effectively that's what they will be.

• Banned User

Where is the third park?

Like already stated above. I think TDA really dropped the ball on that one. They should have pulled Autotopia from DL and move it on over to Carsland and intertwined it with RSR. With nice scenic views it would gave fit real nicely in that area and leaving room for expansion room for DL. It would be better than what it has to offer now.

Perhaps one way to preserve childrens' thrill of driving a car, while still opening up space for a re-imagined Tomorrowland, would be to re-configure the current Autopia to a smaller footprint (for instance, constricting it to just the Fantasyland side; originally there was indeed both a Fantasyland and Tomorrowland Autopia, albeit intertwined). Alternatively, an even smaller-scale Autopia (bringing back the old "midget Autopia" from the Fifties) could fill the current Motorboat Lagoon area, or perhaps be placed in Toon Town, where a more "cartoony" look and feel would complement the theme there. In any case, tjere could be room for both the preservation of a childhood rite-of-passage, as well as the excitement of new adventures for older folk in Tomorrowland.

My kids love Autopia! While in some ways yes a move to Carsland would make it more appropriate, I think it's one of those classics that if moved it would be shame due to its history as a long term successful ride. Innovations would be a much easier sell for me if anything is to go, and the space in between it and space mountain could be used easily as well. The Starcade, theatre holding EO, etc. Heck even take Nemo... I find the Nemo ride laughable and it further doesn't do Nemo any justice. The loading system is horrid.
    Some of the pieces of Innovations could be added to line queues in the area. Further possibly even for exit queues, or for rider swap areas.

My biggest suggestions for themes for the area would be Wall-e and Tron. A updated version of Mission to Mars from Epcot.

I will agree Autopia could really use a major over haul however. Even slight changes to its length or loading area could be adjusted to make room for new additions. Making it more of a Highway of the future would make the theme more fit the theme (Buzz light year remote control cars anyone). As a parent of two, I can say for a fact, kids will always love taking the drivers seat.

Wow! The aerial photo really demonstrates how much real estate Autopia (and Nemo beneath it) takes up. Given the need for something massive and dramatic in Tomorrowland, I can understand why that space (and that of Innoventions) is so appetizing to Imagineering. As currently executed, Autopia is far too inefficient for the acreage and manpower it takes up (not to mention the liability risks at unloading and loading). Werner's suggestion of a smaller, reimagined attraction in the area of the old FanatsyLand Autopia would preserve the "first time driving" experience for kids but still open up space for TomorrowLand renovations.

As for alternatives for the area, it is important that it have theming consistent with Disney properties (films, shorts, TV, etc.) or with Disneyland (since not everything in the park as imagined by Walt came directly from films), but they also shouldn't be too quick to incorporate newer properties. I recall reading many years ago that an "Island at the Top of the World" land was being planned (I think in the area now occupied by Mickey's Toontown). Clearly, that would not have been a worthwhile use of a Disney property. Also, although Star Tours works with TomorrowLand & Indy works with AdventureLand, using the Lucas properties was a risk, and much more non-Disney material would be a negative. (Is anybody actually excited aboout WDW incorporating Avatar into anyhting?)

• Insomniac

Autopia is, in its current format, a bland go-kart (poor quality go-karts at that) through a bunch of boring trees and statues. I never ride it for this reason. However, I understand why children enjoy it. That in itself, however, is not a reason to leave the autopia how it is. The ride has the potential to be appealing to a much larger demographic then it currently is. New cars will not do this, smaller layout will not do this, and leaving them as they are will certainly not do this. They only way you can increase appeal for a larger demographic is by reinventing the concept.

First: What is wrong with the concept?
    Small cars make it hard for adults to comfortably ride, simple ride system causes the ride to feel "controlled" when the ride should put the control in the hands of the riders, poor quality vehicles make it difficult to push pedals, lack of intriguing scenery causes riders to become bored, lack of speed causes boredom, ect.

Second: How would these problems be fixed?
    New ride vehicles accommodate large and small passengers. A new ride system (trackless system) would allow guests to feel like they are in control, but Disney would actually have greater control over the system then they currently do. These new vehicles would use nonmechanical connections that make the gas/ break pedals effortless to push. I will explain how to fix the scenery and speed issues below.

Third: How does it fit theme?
    The new ride system would allow WDI to control car movement when needed and allow riders control when unnecessary. This new system would be showcased as the future of computer assisted driving. Guest cars would be free to drive anywhere on the pavement they wanted, but if they got in the danger zone their car would correct them back onto the road. This would showcase the technolgy that is already present in many vehicles today, but in a far advanced version. This new experience would all be integrated into the new theme: Technology Enhancing Travel.

Last: How do you fix the scenery and speed issues?
    Speed is relative (as showcased by Star Tours), you may feel like you are moving when you actually are not. The solution to the speed issues with autopia could not possibly be solved by just speeding up the ride vehicles. That is why autopia would now enter a small show building. Here in this show building ride vehicles would lock into a virtual road simulator. Projections and set pieces would make it appear as though guest's vehicles were racing through a busy Tomorrowland speedway, when they are actually just slowly moving through a showbuilding. The exterior portions of the attraction gets a TRONish style makeover with the statues all replaced by facades and false streets giving the illusion of a fully fledged Tomorrowland city.
    Check out my Disney inspired creations.

https://picasaweb.google.com/110319393135337100862

• Knight that says Nee!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Weaver View Post
    They should have moved Autopia to Carsland and integrated into the design of Carsland from Day 1 of the design phase. And made the cars electric, and styled them as characters from "Cars" and had them talk to you. That's what they should have done.

They should take the whole area shown in your photo, from the subs north to Small World, and create a new land with an oceanic theme. All the existing trees could remain as islands but the basic theme would be water. They should build a volcano on the northeast corner, with a thrill ride inside it and nightly eruption shows. The DLRR can pass right through the volcano. A new surface boat ride and a walk-through underwater attraction sort of like the tube you walk through at the Shark encounter at Sea World. The submarines could remain but re-themed without the use of video screens.
    THIS...'nuff said!

• Hot FIRE!

Quote Originally Posted by Kat95242 View Post
    Bob Weaver I absolutely love your idea. Even though autopia is popular with the kids, now that Cars Land is up and running, it's not necessary any more. Your idea of a "water land" with a volcano would be awesome. It would be a much better use of all that real estate. I would really love to see a great water ride of some sort. Splash Mountain is too cutesy, and the water ride in DCA get you too soaked.
    Now that doesn't make sense. That's like saying We have a water ride in Splash Mt. GRR isn't needed because of that. Or that ToT is now running so we don't need Mansion anymore. Autopia I still believe has a place but it's aged badly compared to other attractions. Rather we can consolidate the size of the land for a new attraction/expansion and we then can still keep the attraction in some form. We can then update Autopia to become once again an attraction based on the future of superhighways and our personal transportation. Maybe a sky themed psuedo flying cars/air vehicles. Skytopia!

(I was going to say Aerotopia or Airtopia but Skytopia sounds more fun)

...As I see it

• Banned User

Land speeders on Tatooine

• Dead men tell no tales.

Personally, I LOVE Mission Space at WDW so here's my opinion...

I've never liked either the subs or Autopia much at all so I would demolish both along with the Innoventions building. Divide that large space in half, one half for a Fantasyland expansion, adding at least one new dark ride, perhaps Beauty and The Beast. For the other half, expand Tomorrowland adding a restaurant and a new state-of-the-art attraction modelled after Mission: Space at WDW except, make it FAR more interactive.

Think about it, kids like the thrill of driving their own car right? Why not have a ride where people can fly their own ship? Like the WDW version, have a spinning and non-spinning version for people who don't want to experience G-Forces and make the simulator more immersive, not just a little screen like at Disneyworld and definitely make the spinning version more intense.

If anything, please don't make a new land, Walt had all the bases covered with the original 4 lands (although I think New Orleans square is a pretty nice addition).

Honestly, It doesn't matter a whole lot to me what Disney does with that space just so long as they don't, A. make another movie-themed ride and B. make a completely new land out of that space.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Weaver View Post
    They should have moved Autopia to Carsland and integrated into the design of Carsland from Day 1 of the design phase. And made the cars electric, and styled them as characters from "Cars" and had them talk to you. That's what they should have done.

They should take the whole area shown in your photo, from the subs north to Small World, and create a new land with an oceanic theme. All the existing trees could remain as islands but the basic theme would be water. They should build a volcano on the northeast corner, with a thrill ride inside it and nightly eruption shows. The DLRR can pass right through the volcano. A new surface boat ride and a walk-through underwater attraction sort of like the tube you walk through at the Shark encounter at Sea World. The submarines could remain but re-themed without the use of video screens.
    BRAVO!!!!! I agree with you 100%. The very nature of the ride is no longer valid in Tomorrow Land but the concept fits perfectly in Cars Land. Just modify the outdated style of the cars to fit in with the Cars Land theme and you have a winner. In fact, they should have done this instead of wasting time and money on 'Luigi's Flying Tires'. That ride is a complete bust.

• Team Hail HYDRA

demo innovetions and a new show building will rise
    the subs lagoon stays and becomes aquatopia
    there will be a show building right north of the lagoon
    a pathway will run from the moaterboat lake to the entrance of autopia
    2 show buildings can be on the side by the train train tracks

Go visit my theme park website!!! http://kolbykonnection.com

• Minion

Autopia and the "Cars" films both appeal to kids, so it's a natural fit. I would have pushed hard to get Autopia integrated into Carsland, winding through it and with the cars electric and each one a character from the films and making funny comments as you drive. This should have been done during the design phase of Carsland. To do it now would be much harder since Carsland is already open.

The third park will be built south of Katella and east of Harbor, the former "strawberry fields" property which Disney purchased for $96 million. They are currently using part of the property for a cast member parking lot. That's where the third park will eventually be built. I predict it will be an "Action-adventure" park with a lot of Marvel-themed attractions and I think they should move the Star Wars and Indiana Jones attractions over there as well.

They should also buy the GardenWalk mall and rename it "Uptown Disney" and build a transportation system, like a PeopleMover or whatever, to transport guests between the front gates of all 3 parks and to all the Disney-owned hotels and parking lots.

• Disneyland History Lover

How about this... flying saucers? Not the ones they had in the '60s, and not the flying tires in Cars Land now. Create a propulsion system that elevates flying saucers around the Autopia track, perhaps utilizing a similar system to what the flying tires use. The power would be much more immense, elevating you several feet above the ground and around the track. Not enough room below the ground because of the subs? OK, then use an all-new single or double rider-enabled vehicle that lifts itself off the ground. The pilots control the limited speed at which the vehicle moves forward on a guided path. Alien cutouts or simple animatronics can be placed around the track.

And if they wanted to keep the vehicles on the ground, then they could develop new electric vehicles that have a sort of bubble you sit in that can rotate 360 degrees on a guided track that controls your speed and braking.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast