Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Armchair Imagineer

Autopia -- What Would Be a Better Use of That Space?

Autopia is one of those attractions that might best be relegated to Yesterland. But what to do with all that space?
    Name:  disneylnd_001.jpg
Views: 399
Size:  170.8 KB

A new attraction would have to preserve the Monorail track (let's not close it down again). It also must not intrude upon the Submarine show building which is largely underneath the Autopia. One thought -- this area never seemed to quite fit into either Tomorrowland or Fantasyland. With the Matterhorn being very prominent in the area, why not have the Imagineers build a coaster similar to Alpengeist at Busch Gardens Williamsburg? The themeing is perfect (with all of the trees and rockwork) and would blend nicely with the European feel that this area possesses.

What are your ideas?

• -

Re: Autopia -- What Would Be a Better Use of That Space?

If they rip out Autopia they should do away with the subs as well. In my opinion, the real subs left long ago anyway. They should then use the entire area for a Tomorrowland expansion.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Nic

The Alpengeist is a great ride, but the noise would disrupt the quiet and gentle area of Fantasyland, and I don't really see how the theming works, besides the Matterhorn. I'd much rather see Autopia get a huge renovation, and add futuristic versions of major cities (i.e. Tokyo, New York, Sydney) on the side of the road. It'd be like Storybook Canals, but with cars instead of boats, and futuristic cities instead of storybook locations.
    Fear of the unknown.

They are afraid of new ideas.

They are loaded with prejudices, not based upon any reality, but based onÖ if something is new, I reject it immediately because itís frightening to me. What they do instead is just stay with the familiar.
    You know, to me, the most beautiful things in all the universe, are the most mysterious.

• Minion

They should have moved Autopia to Carsland and integrated into the design of Carsland from Day 1 of the design phase. And made the cars electric, and styled them as characters from "Cars" and had them talk to you. That's what they should have done.

They should take the whole area shown in your photo, from the subs north to Small World, and create a new land with an oceanic theme. All the existing trees could remain as islands but the basic theme would be water. They should build a volcano on the northeast corner, with a thrill ride inside it and nightly eruption shows. The DLRR can pass right through the volcano. A new surface boat ride and a walk-through underwater attraction sort of like the tube you walk through at the Shark encounter at Sea World. The submarines could remain but re-themed without the use of video screens.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Weaver View Post
    A new surface boat ride...
    Motor Boat Cruise to Gummy Glen.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Quality not quantity

Are you less than 10 years old? No?

Autopia is for many younger kids the coolest thing in the park. It's consistently one of the busiest attractions. They love it, and I'll bet you did to if you visited the park as a youngling.

The only "better" use of the space would be an updated Autopia that gets back to the origins of the attraction, gets rid of the center guide track and gives kids more freedom to actually drive the cars.
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."

-Mark Twain

• Minion

Honestly, I hope it never leaves and they just enhance the experience.

• Nic

They should have moved Autopia to Carsland and integrated into the design of Carsland from Day 1 of the design phase. And made the cars electric, and styled them as characters from "Cars" and had them talk to you. That's what they should have done.

They should take the whole area shown in your photo, from the subs north to Small World, and create a new land with an oceanic theme. All the existing trees could remain as islands but the basic theme would be water. They should build a volcano on the northeast corner, with a thrill ride inside it and nightly eruption shows. The DLRR can pass right through the volcano. A new surface boat ride and a walk-through underwater attraction sort of like the tube you walk through at the Shark encounter at Sea World. The submarines could remain but re-themed without the use of video screens.
    Journey To The Center of The Earth?
    Fear of the unknown.

They are afraid of new ideas.

They are loaded with prejudices, not based upon any reality, but based onÖ if something is new, I reject it immediately because itís frightening to me. What they do instead is just stay with the familiar.
    You know, to me, the most beautiful things in all the universe, are the most mysterious.

• formerly very helpful

Perhaps maintain the "car" aspect of it, but theme it to a "tour" of a futuristic city. Lots of animatronics, flying vehicles, robots, and such. Perhaps a few buildings you drive through, which are somewhat like dark rides inside.

This!!!! Carsland visuals + slow relaxing ride + plus maybe some of the tail light caverns and that would be perfect!!

I say keep the screens for nemo but instead of being surrounded by sets, they could be surrounded by tanks with real fish. The nemo characters could interact with the real fish.
    In the quest for quality, I have no problem with the characters footing the bill.

Bob Weaver I absolutely love your idea. Even though autopia is popular with the kids, now that Cars Land is up and running, it's not necessary any more. Your idea of a "water land" with a volcano would be awesome. It would be a much better use of all that real estate. I would really love to see a great water ride of some sort. Splash Mountain is too cutesy, and the water ride in DCA get you too soaked.

They should build a volcano on the northeast corner, with a thrill ride inside it and nightly eruption shows.
    Do we really want Disneyland to become the next Vegas? WoC = Bellagio. Volcano with eruption shows = Mirage.

My ideal for the land is to keep the Submarine Lagoon, but remove the Subs and their underground show room. Split the whole area into two parts, half going to Tomorrowland, half to Fantasyland. Rebuild Autopia into a more vertically 3D ride, taking up much less space and being more like a high tech freeway of the future in a metropolis. Build a top of the line, long (as in much longer that TLM) dark ride based on Beauty and the Beast or another Disney property on the Fantasyland side. Keep the Monorail. Find some way to bring back a shortened PM that stays on the TL side of the area.
    Last edited by Mojave; 09-23-2012 at 05:17 PM.

• Armchair Imagineer

There are some great ideas here. Is anyone able to create some mock-ups using Photoshop?

• Minion

Vegas is trying desperately to turn itself into another Disneyland, and rather awkwardly in my opinion. They should have just left Vegas as an adult getaway.

Don't like the eruption idea? Then it's a no go. I would favor a show with "ghost mines," those color fireballs that you sometimes see, fire pots of different colors of fire, and small-scale pyrotechnic effects like fountains and falling sparks. Maybe even a dancer, those dancers that sling fire around.

But they should have something "wow" in that corner of the park. A volcano would be a nice addition to the "mountain range." Journey to the Center of the Earth is too large to put there, but a scaled down version might work. The monorail and DLRR could go right through the mountain.

Motor Boat Cruise is one Yesterland attraction I don't miss. It was dumb. The steering wheel did nothing, and the gas pedal only caused a revving sound and nothing more. You had no control over the boat, even if you just sat there and did nothing you would still go through the course. I'd like to see something where you do have some control over the boat, with some rapids to make it more exciting. I don't like the concept of Aquatopia at Tokyo in which the whole point seems to be to get sprayed at.

If it were up to me I'd designate an oceanic theme to that land, which would include both Small World and the subs since they also have voyage themes. Then Tomorrowland would be essentially just the buildings area where BLAB, Star Tours, Space Mountain and Innoventions are now, but given a redesign and a couple of good new attractions. And I would actually want to extend the PeopleMover track to have a station in the northeast corner of DCA. Well, all of this is just my opinion anyway.

I've always liked this concept art for a "Discoveryland"...

• Banned User

Personally, with the acquisition of Marvel, I think a Marvel area would be cool. But then again, I would LOVE to see that area (subs and autos) re-imagined into a Star Wars themed attraction. Have a Mos Eisley Cantina, hey, just for giggles, change autopia into a pod racer or speeder bike adventure mini coaster? While we're at it, lets rebuild innoventions and make that an indoor coaster ride with a John Carter of Mars theme...it's Disney, right? The whole of Tommorowland certainly needs a facelift.

Or... Make a Pixar Land.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast