Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: L.A. Times: "Top Ten Theme Park Rides We Loved and Lost"

Quote Originally Posted by bayouguy View Post
    Add to the list Micky Fink's Keelboats, because I never rode one.
    I considered them for the same reason. I'm not sure why, but I never got on the Mike Fink Keel Boats, either. Probably just not exciting enough for a kid or teenager.

• Banned User

I agree with pretty much all the sentiments here. Just about all the defunct attractions would be very welcome if they were revived. Some of these revivals would also, necessarily, be redesigned or reimagineered, but that's also an opportunity for improvement upon the originals as well.

• "I Break Things"

I miss the parking lot tram... the old one... where you could dangle your feet out the side as the cars whizzed by at walking speed!
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

The Skyway! As i've read in past threads it doesn't seem to be among the attractions desired to return but I would be ecstatic if it were ever to reclaim its rightful spot in the sky transporting guests from Fantasyland to Tomorrowland and vice versa.

• Hot FIRE!

No love for Kingdom of the Dinosaurs at Knotts? It's why I never went back there...I recall Soap Box Racers when I was very young! Never cared for Country Bears and did anyone REALLY miss Backdraft? BttF is WAY better than The Simpsons even though in its later years it didn't age well.

...As I see it

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    If you talk to the adults who were there at the time, their admiration for the House of the Future is a result of how innovative it was for its time. Similarly, the hatred of Innoventions is spurred by how un-innovate it is for its time.

Historical context is everything when rating attractions. It has been repeated on this forum hundreds if not thousands of times that the thing that blew people away in the 1950s and 60s about the top Disneyland attractions was their level of innovation, creativity, technology and showmanship for their time -- while the thing that so often disappoints about the Disneyland attractions of the last 15 years (Innoventions, Pooh, Nemo, Luigi's, Mermaid to name a few), is their comparative lack of innovation, creativity, technology and showmanship for their time. . . . people don't want the original PeopleMover, Adventure thru Inner Space, Submarines or Mine Train thru Nature's Wonderland to return as clones of their original selves. They want updated versions of those ride themes, executed with a level of innovation, creativity, technology and showmanship that is as mindblowing for today as it was for the time when those rides first opened. And that is what Disney has proved, for the last decade and a half, it is utterly incapable of doing.
    Well put. I do remember being constantly astonished by Disney's creations in the 60s, 70s and early 80s. Nothing I saw in Ariel's Undersea Adventure made say, "Wow! There's something I've never seen before!" even if there were minor developments in audio-animatronics.

Radiator Springs Racers did
    .impress me with its attractive vehicles, the race element, and the tall "rock" towers we zoomed through. Result: attendance greatly surpassed Disney's expectations. Equally great attendance increases rewarded Universal's meticulous & bold investments in Florida's Harry Potter world. I'd hope this would inspire Disney to reach for "astonishing" when they create new lands and attractions, and when they enrich older attractions. "If you build it, they will come" means that "it" should be beautiful, mind-blowing, soul-inspiring new fun.

And also, try not to totally suck. Disneyland's Small World ceiling & abandoned Peoplemover track, WDW's Carousel of Progress & stagnant EPCOT & Hollywood Studios (move or remove the hat tomorrow) could use some attention.
    Last edited by jcruise86; 10-08-2012 at 11:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JesterMn View Post
    I find it hard to believe anyone misses Backdraft or ET. The latter was especially awful.
    While I never rode the Cali version, I really like the ET ride in Florida. Although the entry leaves a lot to be desired, the forest queue is well done and the ride is a decent dark ride.

It can be especially fun when your family of 5 uses the names, Rob, Bob, Bobby, Barbie and Barb. Next time I think it's time to use Bob, Lob and Law for three of them. Yeah, I'm a big Arrested Development fan.

Knott's Berry Tales and soap box racers should be showing up on lists. And I'd have America sings over Cbj anyday. Peoplemover is my #1 though.

• Workin to live,lovin life

LOL
    This reminds me of an old 90's tv show, Freakazoid.

About 19 seconds in or so.
    The Cloud (Part 2) - YouTube

But honestly, I really miss one big atmospheric thing in Disneyland... the snoring bear in Bear Country. And I have to agree that I miss America Sings, Peoplemover, and even Innerspace even though I barely remember any of them... just glimpses of them in my memory!

Rocket Rods. Even with all of it's problems, it had a great queue and the ride was fun with a balance of inside (Tron) and outside.

• terrifiednerds.com

Yes, bring back all those rides, plus the old Submarine Voyage. Then they can take the safety railings off the Matterhorn, plus the ones they are now putting on Casey Junior, take the netting off the Jungle Cruis boats, get rid of all the paving stones, and give Fantasmic it's own venues (with seats) so people can ride the Mark Twain at night again.

Quote Originally Posted by eicarr View Post
    Knott's Berry Tales and soap box racers should be showing up on lists. And I'd have America sings over Cbj anyday. Peoplemover is my #1 though.
    If you're a little bit older then the Soap Box Racers were a lesser version of a real lost Knott's jewel - The Cycle Chase. You sat (somewhat precariously) on a motorcycle and it went 10 mph *faster*.

Here's my list. I omitted CoP, Country Bears and E.T. because you can still see them in Orlando. Obviously I wouldn't want Monsanto sponsoring anything nowadays, knowing what we know. LOVED E.T. though - but it does need some serious upgrading in FL right about now.

Adventure thru Inner Space
    PeopleMover
    Skyway (Magic Mountain's was amazing too, SO incredibly high up)
    America Sings
    Knott's Bear-y Tales
    Knott's Haunted Shack
    Log Jammer
    Mine Train thru Nature's Wonderland
    American Journeys/any Circle-Vision film
    Wacky Soap Box Racers

---------- Post added 10-10-2012 at 11:18 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by bigcatrik View Post
    If you're a little bit older then the Soap Box Racers were a lesser version of a real lost Knott's jewel - The Cycle Chase. You sat (somewhat precariously) on a motorcycle and it went 10 mph *faster*.
    Yeah....NEVER will we see that ride system operate again, at least in the USA....however, I'd be willing to sign a waiver releasing all liability if they did!
    Please consider the environment before printing useless emails

Quote Originally Posted by SpectroMan View Post
    Yeah....NEVER will we see that ride system operate again, at least in the USA....however, I'd be willing to sign a waiver releasing all liability if they did!
    I rode the Knott's Cycle Chase several times and don't remember feeling like I was in danger at any time, though I was in my fearless early teens so who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by smartlabelprint View Post
    I'm glad they got rid of Monsanto after I heard all kinds of bad about them poisoning our food. Although technically Disney is big business that is ultimately out to make money. I know, not what Walt was ultimately going for.
    Actually their products prevent millions from starving.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast