Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• Senior Minion

L.A. Times: "Top Ten Theme Park Rides We Loved and Lost"

Today's L.A. Times business section features a pictorial piece titled "Miss you, Backdraft! The top 10 theme park rides we loved and lost."

Six of the ten are from Disneyland:

Adventure thru Inner Space
    Monsanto House of the Future
    PeopleMover
    Skyway
    Carousel of Progress
    Flying Saucers

The others are Back to the Future, Backdraft and E.T. Adventure (Universal), and Log Jammer (Six Flags Magic Mountain).

The article gives no info about their criteria for choosing those rides as the top ten.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Re: L.A. Times: "Top Ten Theme Park Rides We Loved and Lost"

I'm glad they got rid of Monsanto after I heard all kinds of bad about them poisoning our food. Although technically Disney is big business that is ultimately out to make money. I know, not what Walt was ultimately going for.

• Minion

They're calling the House of the Future a "ride" even in their description of it. It was an exhibit, not a ride. I would have substituted Mine Train thru Nature's Wonderland, either in place of House of the Future, or in place of Log Jammer. Log Jammer was an OK log ride but the log ride at Knott's is better and still there. I also kind of miss Kingdom of the Dinosaurs at Knott's. I'm glad they remembered Adventure thru Inner Space, but someone needs to tell them it was "Adventure," not "Adventures." Thanks for bringing this article to our attention.

• formerly very helpful

Personally, I agree with these:

"Adventure thru Inner Space
    Monsanto House of the Future
    PeopleMover"

However, the rest of my list would be:
    Horizons
    Horizons
    Horizons
    Horizons
    Horizons
    Horizons and
    Horizons

The photo in the Times article of the Peoplemover (along with a vibrant TomorrowLand and the Rocket Jets in their proper place) is almost painful to view compared to the current, sad state of Tomorrowland. The article does reference "attractions" despite the "rides" banner, so inclusion of the House of the Future is OK, if unwarranted. Also, although not well themed, the Log Jammer was an outstanding flume ride. Limiting the choices to Disneyland attractions, I would love to go back in time to experience again (in no particular order): 1) Mine Train through Nature's Wonderland, 2) Country Bear Jamboree, 3) Carousel of Progress, 4) Peoplemover, 5) Skyway, 6) America the Beautiful, 7) Flight to the Moon, 8) Tahitian Terrace, 9) Swiss Family Treehouse, 10) Adventure thru Innerspace.

Oh how I do miss the skyway

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by TrueBlue View Post
    Limiting the choices to Disneyland attractions, I would love to go back in time to experience again (in no particular order): 1) Mine Train through Nature's Wonderland, 2) Country Bear Jamboree, 3) Carousel of Progress, 4) Peoplemover, 5) Skyway, 6) America the Beautiful, 7) Flight to the Moon, 8) Tahitian Terrace, 9) Swiss Family Treehouse, 10) Adventure thru Innerspace.
    Ditto.

- Neil Gabler

• Minion

But even in the caption below the photo of the House of the Future, they state:

“Monsanto House of the Future (1957-1967) at Disneyland: This ride, also sponsored by Monsanto, gave guests a tour of an expected house of the future, including advancements such as fiberglass components and, gasp, microwave ovens.”

They should have said either "attraction" or "exhibit." Oh well, too late now.

1) Mine Train through Nature's Wonderland, 2) Country Bear Jamboree, 3) Carousel of Progress, 4) Peoplemover, 5) Skyway, 6) America the Beautiful, 7) Flight to the Moon, 8) Tahitian Terrace, 9) Swiss Family Treehouse, 10) Adventure thru Innerspace.

Now I realize how lucky I am... I got to experience all of those, though my memory of the Tahitian Terrace is vague. I only remember feeling like we were on Gilligan's Island.

• Functional & Decorative

I find it hard to believe anyone misses Backdraft or ET. The latter was especially awful.
    Does anyone even bother with signatures anymore?

• Disney Mom

I miss the Skyway and Country Bear Jamboree.

• Insomniac

It's kind of ironic that Monsanto House of the Future and Fying Saucers both exist in new forms at the resort and yet both are not especially liked by the fan community. In all honesty Innoventions Dream home has way cooler crap than microwaves and fiberglass, but still it is so hated by Disney fans... How much of this is spurred by nestalgia vs actually wanting the rides/ exhibits back? Personally I want CBJ, MTTNW, ATIS, PM, ect back. But if they really did bring them back (like they did with FS-LFT and MHotF-IDH) how many of us would really enjoy them in a new form?..
    Check out my Disney inspired creations.

https://picasaweb.google.com/110319393135337100862

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Bronco21 View Post
    It's kind of ironic that Monsanto House of the Future and Fying Saucers both exist in new forms at the resort and yet both are not especially liked by the fan community. In all honesty Innoventions Dream home has way cooler crap than microwaves and fiberglass, but still it is so hated by Disney fans...
    If you talk to the adults who were there at the time, their admiration for the House of the Future is a result of how innovative it was for its time. Similarly, the hatred of Innoventions is spurred by how un-innovate it is for its time.

Historical context is everything when rating attractions. It has been repeated on this forum hundreds if not thousands of times that the thing that blew people away in the 1950s and 60s about the top Disneyland attractions was their level of innovation, creativity, technology and showmanship for their time -- while the thing that so often disappoints about the Disneyland attractions of the last 15 years (Innoventions, Pooh, Nemo, Luigi's, Mermaid to name a few), is their comparative lack of innovation, creativity, technology and showmanship for their time.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronco21 View Post
    How much of this is spurred by nestalgia vs actually wanting the rides/ exhibits back?
    Those Disneyland guests who were adults in the 60s, and who have experienced firsthand the standards of both the Walt Disney Company's Disneyland and the "Eisger" Disney Corporation's Disneyland, rightfully reject the suggestion that their rating of Yester-rides is the result of mere "nostalgia."

As has been posted countless times on this forum, people don't want the original PeopleMover, Adventure thru Inner Space, Submarines or Mine Train thru Nature's Wonderland to return as clones of their original selves. They want updated versions of those ride themes, executed with a level of innovation, creativity, technology and showmanship that is as mindblowing for today as it was for the time when those rides first opened. And that is what Disney has proved, for the last decade and a half, it is utterly incapable of doing.
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 09-23-2012 at 11:26 PM.

- Neil Gabler

• -

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    As has been posted countless times on this forum, people don't want the original PeopleMover, Adventure thru Inner Space, Submarines or Mine Train thru Nature's Wonderland to return as clones of their original selves. They want updated versions of those ride themes, executed with a level of innovation, creativity, technology and showmanship that is as mindblowing for today as it was for the time when those rides first opened. And that is what Disney has proved, for the last decade and a half, it is utterly incapable of doing.
    Exactly. Disney's idea of bringing the Flying Saucers back with a new level of innovation was to add giant beach balls and Italian music.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Quintessential Studmuffin

in So Cal but my mind is in disneyland!!!

I really miss the CBJ!

• Minion

I wish people on this forum would retire the tired "that's just nostalgia" argument once and for all. If Haunted Mansion or Pirates of the Caribbean were closed, and 20 years later you were saying you miss them, would you agree that it was only because of "nostalgia?" We miss the old attractions like the Mine Train and ATIS because of their beauty, character, uniqueness, design, detail, storyline, humor, imagination, immersiveness and repeatability. The intangible qualities that are sometimes lacking in new attractions. It's not just "nostalgia." And just because there is a newer version of something doesn't mean it's better. Technology is not a substitute for imagination.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast