Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Closed Account

Re: A compromise restoration of POTC

Quote Originally Posted by DisneylandTraveler View Post
    If you are a fan of the original POTC attraction, there is still enough left behind to keep the faith.
    If I drew a mustache on the Mona Lisa, you could say exactly the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    Yes--you're sort of wrong. The line is actually "Dead men tell no tales."
    yes! that's it. I HAVE been saying it right. Just said it wrong today, for some reason. I feel better now.

Already been done. Marcel Duchamp 1919

Name:  dada_paris_01.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  24.9 KB
    Writing about all things Disney, a couple of paragraphs at a time

http://disneylandtraveler.blogspot.com/

75,000+ page views and counting.

• Closed Account

Of course, that wasn't really my point...

But if you like that painting better than the original, then have at it.

• ~

Enough with "compromises." Just restore it to it's original glory--pooped pirate dialog (originally NOT about food) and wench-chasing scenes and all.
    I second this motion.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Weaver View Post
    Agree with Steve... restore it to its original version. But since the movies were so popular, a single appearance of Jack Sparrow, at the right time and place, would be appropriate. But only once during the course of the attraction, not multiple references. Too many times weakens it. When I was a kid, the dark tunnels with the unseen voices were scary - I thought a pirate would jump into the boat at any minute. More effective than any high-tech visual effect.
    Ideally, if Sparrow had to make an appearance in the attraction, I would like to see him make more of an inconspicuous appearance. No major attention directed at him, no other animatronics blabbering on about him, and et cetera. If he must be there, just have him be one of the pillaging pirates. Kids will see him on the ride like they might expect, but the original story of the ride would remain intact.

Of course, that wasn't really my point...

But if you like that painting better than the original, then have at it.
    The point isn't that the altered version is better or worse than the original. It takes something that was looked one way for years on end then changes the viewers perspective a little bit. Such is the case of POTC. From my viewpoint, the enhanced Jack Sparrow version isn't better or worse than the original, it's just a little different. Either way, it's still a great ride.
    Writing about all things Disney, a couple of paragraphs at a time

http://disneylandtraveler.blogspot.com/

75,000+ page views and counting.

• Cunning infiltrator

A detailed list of complete changes to POTC since it opened in March of 1967.

1997 PC Refurb:

The editing of the pooped pirate with a wench's skirt.
    -New voice.
    -The pooped pirate becomes the glutton pirate.
    -The area around him is surrounded with food from the town and a smiling pig next to him.
    -The skirt that was on his hand was changed into a large drumstick.
    -He talks about food rather than the missing teenage girl.
    -The barrel of where the girl was hiding is now replaced with a cat.

Other changes for the 1997 refurb:

-Various speakers has been replaced and most of the sound effects remastered in digital.
    -Now the women chase the pirates wielding improvised weapons.
    -The Pirates that being chased are stealing food.
    -A funny looking mustached pirate is confused by two animals when he is holding a batch of apples.
    -Two new pirate figures are hoarding a large sack of stolen treasure from the town's fortress storage in the finale.
    -New antiques and props were added to the Treasure Scene.
    -New effects to the battle scene with the Wicked Wench and the Spanish Fort.
    -Dead pirate skeletons on the lift were added, they are still holding to the treasure and green glowing eyes can be seen blinking in the darkness.
    -The wiggling pirate with a flintlock on a set of barrels at the finale has been removed.

1999/2000 Refurb:

-A assortment of fixes and new parts were addressed to the attraction.
    -Small replacements to a number of the pirate's attire.
    -The battle scene has added four 'Spanish soldier' figures manning the fortress cannons. Now you can see what the Wicked Wench pirate crew is fighting against instead of unseen voices.
    -New water splashing effects.
    -Smoother and better movements to the Auctioneer figure.
    -Better fire animation to the burning scene.
    -Some lightning were fixed and replaced.
    -More speakers were replaced with new ones.

The famous 2006 movie tie-in refurb:

-The whole attraction has it's lightning replaced, various fixes to electrical wiring, devices, and parts. All speakers were replaced with better state-of-the-art digital ones. Sound effects and dialogue never has been sound better!
    -New audio-animatronic pirates replaced the old ones while looking the same.
    -The Auctioneer pirate has made lots of improvements to his animation.
    -Some props and new props were added into the treasure scene as well others being replaced.
    -Old props were replaced with newer ones looking pretty identical to the old ones that were on the town.
    -The infamous Movie-tie ins were added to various scenes on the Spanish colony island, Isla Tesoro as well as the Treasure Scene.
    -Two pirate skeletons were added to the cave grotto scene. They are depicted playing a chess game that all movement is resulted in checkmate. A nod to the WDW POTC's queue chess playing dead pirate skeletons.
    -Movie props from the POTC movies were added in the Treasure Scene such as Elizabeth's dress and the Aztec gold treasure chest with all of it's gold pieces.
    -The pirate skeleton for the Treasure Scene has his posed changed.
    -A waterfall scene has been added featuring the bragging 'Davy Jones.' The creepy unseen voices in the pitch black cavern has been removed which is now the waterfall scene.
    -Three Captain Jack Sparrow animatronic figures added to famous scenes on Isla Tesoro.
    -The old captain of the Wicked Wench is replaced by Captain Barbossa.
    -Barbossa new mentions Jack Sparrow 'three times' and he says some of the old dialogue.
    -The town is now hiding Jack Sparrow for no reason.
    -New lightning effects, special effects, and sound effects to the battle scene. Cannons are much louder and water effects strengthen.
    -New dialogue on the Spanish defenders.
    -All the Spanish soldiers were refurbished and added new golden morion helmets and clothes.
    -A Spanish soldier that shouts out threats to Barbossa and commands in Spanish to his men were added. He speaks both English and Spanish. He can be seen up all the time on top of the fortress as a speaking head to Captain Barbossa.
    -1 Captain (doing the talking) and 3 pirates going up and down manning the cannons
    -1 Spanish soldier (doing the talking as well) and 3 other Spanish soldiers manning the cannons.
    -At least two pirates has their dialogue replaced with new ones mentioning and looking for Jack Sparrow.
    -The glutton pirate became the map wielding pirate talking about the treasure map and the key as well as mentioning Captain Jack Sparrow.
    -The cat has been replaced with Jack Sparrow looking at the map and the key.
    -Three new pirate figures are added to the scene where Jack Sparrow is hiding in the barrel. Loads of rums are seen pouring to two of the pirate's cups as they drink.
    -A drunken pirate trying to balance on a set of rum barrels is added.
    -One of the pirates on the well dunking scene tells the mayor where is the treasure and more of Jack Sparrow.
    -The fire in the burning scene has been replaced with better effects and the pirate figures are replaced with newer ones.
    -The water pumps has been replaced with newer ones.
    -New lightning effects and gun effects at the finale.
    -The two treasure hoarding pirates were removed and replaced with Captain Jack Sparrow in a new scene at the finale as he finally earned his treasure.

2011 refurb:

-On November 24, 2011, the ride opened after a refurbishment, which included another change in the waterfall projection, which was modified to where both Blackbeard and Davy Jones appeared.
    -All the Spanish soldiers on the fortress has their faces replaced with newer ones.
    -New lightning on the fortress is added sometime later after the refurbishment. The fort is now cold blue which now be seen better than before. Small lightning changes to the soldiers instead of a torch-like shading on them.
    -The cave's rock work has been demolished and replaced with newer rock work.
    -Electrical wiring and other effects has been repaired.

Whew, that took a long time!!
    Last edited by LangenFox; 09-24-2012 at 11:35 AM.

For all your Furry/Anthro needs!
    http://www.second-ed.com/

Highly recommended Furry/Anthro list:
    http://belfrycomics.net/
    http://furaffinity.net/

Quote Originally Posted by DisneylandTraveler View Post
    The point isn't that the altered version is better or worse than the original. It takes something that was looked one way for years on end then changes the viewers perspective a little bit. Such is the case of POTC. From my viewpoint, the enhanced Jack Sparrow version isn't better or worse than the original, it's just a little different. Either way, it's still a great ride.
    Totally agree with you. Well said!
    "In many ways, the work of a critic is easy. We risk very little yet enjoy a position over those who offer up their work and their selves to our judgment. We thrive on negative criticism, which is fun to write and to read. But the bitter truth we critics must face, is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so. But there are times when a critic truly risks something, and that is in the discovery and defense of the new. The world is often unkind to new talent, new creations, the new needs friends." - Anton Ego

North Highlands, California, United States

Quote Originally Posted by ttintagel View Post
    Seconding all this. Bringing the movies into the rides was something that had to be done; they just went overboard with it (pardon the pun).
    I completely agree with ttintagel. Disney had to tie in the movies but they did add far too much. Cheesy dialogue and all.

What's next Penelope Cruz and the monkey popping up in the Wench Sale?

By far the biggest offense if the horribly generic Hanz Zimmer score that blares through the ship scene. That and the Davy Jones projection KILL the mood of the middle of the ride.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Weaver View Post
    Agree with Steve... restore it to its original version. But since the movies were so popular, a single appearance of Jack Sparrow, at the right time and place, would be appropriate. But only once during the course of the attraction, not multiple references. Too many times weakens it. When I was a kid, the dark tunnels with the unseen voices were scary - I thought a pirate would jump into the boat at any minute. More effective than any high-tech visual effect.
    Indeed!

• terrifiednerds.com

They definitely need to get rid of the mist-screen projections. That kind of technology is completely out of place on that ride. I'm all for a total restoration to the original Walt Disney version of Pirates, complete with the pirates chasing the women--and not for the food, either!

• Member of Baxter's Army

Or god forbid

• ~

Quote Originally Posted by HMF View Post
    Or god forbid
    That's exactly what I thought when I read that post as well.

• Doombuggy Rider

[QUOTE=Steve DeGaetano;1056842641]Enough with "compromises." Just restore it to it's original glory--pooped pirate dialog (originally NOT about food) and wench-chasing scenes and all.[/QUOTE

AMEN ! Pirates of the Caribbean should've never been neutered by Eisner back in 1997 (they are pirates and if that's too much for you, or your kids to see pirates looting a town and chasing wenches? then go back to Fantasyland and enjoy the kiddie rides, please!). Even Imagineer X. Atencio called it "Boyscouts of the Caribbean" and he's right .... I would accept a temporary re-theming (in fact? I wouldn't mind seeing pirates become skeletons under moonlight during late September through October & that's good enough for a wink n' a nod to the films) but please bring back the Ride to its original design (keeping the updated audio animatronics, as well as hi def audio in the boats) hopefully sooner (2012 was the 45th Anniversary) or later (2017 will be the 50th) ....

C J

even the original tv commercial mentions "blood thirsty cut throats attack a sleepy town"

I <3 Making Friends Who Share The Same Interests :-)

http://www.facebook.com/darkamor

http://www.twitter.com/darkamor

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast