Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

• Minion

Re: A compromise restoration of POTC

Yes, that was the original concept. Walt envisioned a "rogue's gallery" walk-through, with a tour guide. The problem was that it wouldn't get enough guests through per hour. After the success of it's a small world at the World's Fair, and its high throughput, they decided to make the Rogues Gallery a boat ride. But there wasn't enough room for that in the original plans, so they had to build a show building outside the park. But the DLRR was in the way, so they had to make the boats go under the railroad, therefore the drops. After the drops you pass underneath the DLRR, and then later you pass under the DLRR again before going up the ramp. Same for the Haunted Mansion, they had to get you under the railroad without knowing it, therefore the stretching room to bring you to a lower level. As you're walking through the corridor you are walking underneath the railroad. They solved problems in creative ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Weaver View Post
    They solved problems in creative ways.
    I can't remember the last time WDI did that. Depressing really.

I have several ideas for revising Pirates of the Caribbean. Actually, one of the first would be near the very beginning, in the Blue Bayou section. As you go by the old geezer on the porch of his houseboat, you hear a slow banjo rendition of "Oh Susanna". According to Jason Surrell in his book on the ride (and the movie series), there were actually two banjo tunes recorded, the other being "Camptown Races", but only "Oh Susanna" is heard. Therefore, I would bring in the "Camptown Races" banjo tune and have it alternate with "Oh Susanna".

Another thing I would do, in the skeletal grotto scene, is restore Paul Frees' "No fear have ye of evil curses" speech. However, since I may keep the Davy Jones waterfall, I would relocate the speech to the actual grotto scene itself, something like how it was presented when the ride was featured on the Wonderful World of Color show shortly after it opened (starting at 1:27):
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGiqEkPZ8RA

I will put up more ideas later, but right now, what are your thoughts?
    My top favorite Disneyland attractions:

1. Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
    2. Pirates of the Caribbean
    3. Splash Mountain
    4. Mad Tea Party
    5. Peter Pan's Flight
    6. Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin

Quote Originally Posted by LangenFox View Post
    A detailed list of complete changes to POTC since it opened in March of 1967.
    Wow what a detailed list. You forgot the most recent change though... the guy with all the hats balancing on the rowboat has been missing almost all of 2012. He returned a month or 2 ago, but now he has only one hat! Just not the same.

• Doombuggy Rider

Quote Originally Posted by Disneylandfan85 View Post
    I have several ideas for revising Pirates of the Caribbean. Actually, one of the first would be near the very beginning, in the Blue Bayou section. As you go by the old geezer on the porch of his houseboat, you hear a slow banjo rendition of "Oh Susanna". According to Jason Surrell in his book on the ride (and the movie series), there were actually two banjo tunes recorded, the other being "Camptown Races", but only "Oh Susanna" is heard. Therefore, I would bring in the "Camptown Races" banjo tune and have it alternate with "Oh Susanna".

Another thing I would do, in the skeletal grotto scene, is restore Paul Frees' "No fear have ye of evil curses" speech. However, since I may keep the Davy Jones waterfall, I would relocate the speech to the actual grotto scene itself, something like how it was presented when the ride was featured on the Wonderful World of Color show shortly after it opened (starting at 1:27):
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGiqEkPZ8RA

I will put up more ideas later, but right now, what are your thoughts?

I'm <3 'ing everything you mentioned, along with what PirateLover said (it was my understanding the Ride influenced the Film, not the Film influencing the Ride) .... & don't get me started on the Pirate crap added to Tom Sawyer Island ( I will never ever forgive Eisner's regime for letting Fort Wilderness go to poop) ...

C J

I <3 Making Friends Who Share The Same Interests :-)

http://www.facebook.com/darkamor

http://www.twitter.com/darkamor

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by steve degaetano View Post
    enough with "compromises." just restore it to it's original glory--pooped pirate dialog (originally not about food) and wench-chasing scenes and all.
    This!
    Last edited by Retrocool; 10-04-2012 at 03:34 PM.

I do enjoy the mist screen, but I have to agree the part I miss most is that long, dark tunnel leading up to the battle scene with the great "Perhaps he knows too much...." dialogue. So creepy, and so dark...it set the tone perfectly for the next room.

Where could they move the mist screen to?
    Please consider the environment before printing useless emails

Quote Originally Posted by SpectroMan View Post
    Where could they move the mist screen to?
    Storybook Land! Put it in Monstro.

• Doombuggy Rider

PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN - DISNEYLAND .... has the circular queue line (one side on the right, one side on the left) where the fountain can be found near the entrance and you follow a curved path from one floor to the next floor (there's also a bridge you go underneath) ... it's an exposed queue area before you enter the show building .. what if a dome was added & an interactive queue area was built that did not block the view of Club 33 above the PIRATES show building?

That's the ONLY suggested change I would want ....

C J

I <3 Making Friends Who Share The Same Interests :-)

http://www.facebook.com/darkamor

http://www.twitter.com/darkamor

Quote Originally Posted by MactheMan View Post
    I can't remember the last time WDI did that. Depressing really.
    Soarin' Over California leaps immediately to mind. They solved the issue very creatively to get that many people in the air and positioned in front of the IMAX screen. Did it rather well, too, I'd say.

---------- Post added 10-10-2012 at 02:12 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    If I drew a mustache on the Mona Lisa, you could say exactly the same thing.
    The only problem with that is that the Mona Lisa is a completed museum piece. POTC is not.
    "In many ways, the work of a critic is easy. We risk very little yet enjoy a position over those who offer up their work and their selves to our judgment. We thrive on negative criticism, which is fun to write and to read. But the bitter truth we critics must face, is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so. But there are times when a critic truly risks something, and that is in the discovery and defense of the new. The world is often unkind to new talent, new creations, the new needs friends." - Anton Ego

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234