Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• Lurker

A compromise restoration of POTC

I've accepted that they're not going to get rid of Johnny Depp, so here's what I propose as a compromise restoration for POTC:

First, they need to get rid of the Davey Jones / Blackbeard mist screen. It's just too silly and over-the-top for what should really be a much more subtle and eerie part of the ride.

Next, they need to restore all the original dialogue, with the exception of the Pooped Pirate. He can keep his treasure map, which is an improvement over his food addiction and fits in with the original dialogue of the interrogation scene, but the rest of the pirates need to stop their silly obsession with Jack Sparrow.

Finally, they can replace Barbossa with Ian McShane's Blackbeard, and have him re-record the original Blackbeard dialogue. Sure, it's not perfect, but I would find it an acceptable tie-in with the movies while still respecting the original ride.

I feel these steps would go a long way towards restoring the greatness of the ride without touching their precious (and expensive) Jack Sparrow.

Re: A compromise restoration of POTC

They need to pick which side jacks on. As it is, it appears the town is harboring him...even though he's stealing his treasure. Plus what you mentioned, the ride would be a lot better.
    In the quest for quality, I have no problem with the characters footing the bill.

I like your suggestions, but I would go one step further and restore the original Blackbeard. While I don't mind the Johnny Depp additions, I thought that Disney went too far when they removed Blackbeard in favor of Barbossa.

• rebmeM roinuJ

^^Agreed.

• Minion

I think they went too far with the mentioning of Jack Sparrow every 2 minutes. That being said, I think the mist screen is a cool effect. I don't know how much I needed either Davy Jones or Blackbeard being the face of it, but a talking skull and crossbones could have been cool.

Replacing Blackbeard. I don't think it ever HAD to be Blackbeard bombarding the town in the first place. I don't need Barbossa looking for Sparrow, but having him as captain works just fine. He's a great character in the films and while I think he looks off on the ride...I like hearing him and the outfit is right.

As a tie in, I get it, those additions help brand the ride with the film. It ALSO makes sense to kids who loved the movies that come to the ride expecting to see them. I would get how not having some of those tie ins there would be a let down for some kids that saw the movies before they rode the ride. My problem has often been the changing of the Dead Men Tell No Tales aspect of the ride. Adding the Sparrow-centric story line to the ride took that away.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate Lover 68 View Post
    I think they went too far with the mentioning of Jack Sparrow every 2 minutes. That being said, I think the mist screen is a cool effect. I don't know how much I needed either Davy Jones or Blackbeard being the face of it, but a talking skull and crossbones could have been cool.

Replacing Blackbeard. I don't think it ever HAD to be Blackbeard bombarding the town in the first place. I don't need Barbossa looking for Sparrow, but having him as captain works just fine. He's a great character in the films and while I think he looks off on the ride...I like hearing him and the outfit is right.

As a tie in, I get it, those additions help brand the ride with the film. It ALSO makes sense to kids who loved the movies that come to the ride expecting to see them. I would get how not having some of those tie ins there would be a let down for some kids that saw the movies before they rode the ride. My problem has often been the changing of the Dead Men Tell No Tales aspect of the ride. Adding the Sparrow-centric story line to the ride took that away.
    Seconding all this. Bringing the movies into the rides was something that had to be done; they just went overboard with it (pardon the pun).

• Dead men tell no tales.

Being a big fan of this ride although never having ridden it before the movie update, I fully agree that the mist effect and barbossa should be removed.

I know people might hate me for saying this, but it might be neat to see an animatronic Davy Jones. I don't know, that's just me, but I'd really like to see how they animate all his tentacles.

• Vidia's Minion

Too much Sparrow. Feels like they should rename the ride to "Captain Jack Sparrow's pirate adventure(s)"

While I miss the ole creepy dark cave I admit the mist effects are neat. However they need to fix the line about dead men do tell tales. They actually don't, the dead men that tell tales and UNDEAD. When they say dead men do tell tales it kind of wrecks the premise of the ride (and all the tshirts and merch that have the original line on them).

• Closed Account

Enough with "compromises." Just restore it to it's original glory--pooped pirate dialog (originally NOT about food) and wench-chasing scenes and all.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayce View Post
    Too much Sparrow. Feels like they should rename the ride to "Captain Jack Sparrow's pirate adventure(s)"

While I miss the ole creepy dark cave I admit the mist effects are neat. However they need to fix the line about dead men do tell tales. They actually don't, the dead men that tell tales and UNDEAD. When they say dead men do tell tales it kind of wrecks the premise of the ride (and all the tshirts and merch that have the original line on them).
    This whole time I thought the line was, "Dead Men DON'T Tell Tales". Have I been wrong in thinking this for the last 35 years???

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by produceguy View Post
    This whole time I thought the line was, "Dead Men DON'T Tell Tales". Have I been wrong in thinking this for the last 35 years???
    Yes--you're sort of wrong. The line is actually "Dead men tell no tales."

• Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    Enough with "compromises." Just restore it to it's original glory--pooped pirate dialog (originally NOT about food) and wench-chasing scenes and all.
    If they did that, I would be ecstatic. Of course, they're totally not going to do that.

• Minion

Agree with Steve... restore it to its original version. But since the movies were so popular, a single appearance of Jack Sparrow, at the right time and place, would be appropriate. But only once during the course of the attraction, not multiple references. Too many times weakens it. When I was a kid, the dark tunnels with the unseen voices were scary - I thought a pirate would jump into the boat at any minute. More effective than any high-tech visual effect.

• Foolish Mortal

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    Agreed!

"So make the best of this test and don't ask why. It's not a question but a lesson learned in time."- Green Day
    "The harder you work, the luckier you get."- Billie Joe Armstrong
    "This is my rage. This is my love. This is my town. This is my city. This is my life."

It's fine the way it is. If you enjoy the Depp movies, the tie-ins with the ride bring "look at that" moments. If you are a fan of the original POTC attraction, there is still enough left behind to keep the faith.
    Writing about all things Disney, a couple of paragraphs at a time

http://disneylandtraveler.blogspot.com/

75,000+ page views and counting.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast