Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

• " Planet of Puddingheads"

Re: More exploitation of Walt?

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    Saw the shirt in DCA & actually kinda liked it. Not something I would wear personally, but thought it was rather cool. Now what was funny was that while I felt the t shirt was OK to sell on Buena Vista St or DTD, I would have felt differently if I saw it for sale on Main St. (if it was there, I didn't see it) Why, who knows. I guess we all have gut reactions to things that we just can't explain.

While I respect other opinions, especially from those who look up to Walt as an icon or hero, I don't think the shirt denigrates Walt. It's a pretty simple design and the picture of a younger Walt is a nice, attractive one. It doesn't seem to 'shill' for Disney Co (buy the t shirt, see the movie, now run & get the vinylmation Walt). Now, of course if we begin to see cheap, tacky merch with his face plastered all over it at DLR, I'll certainly change my opinion!

Question: Who has the 'license' over Walt's image? Disney Co or Walt's surviving family?
    I believe the company and the family has co-rights.
    “No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

• Mischievous Mouse

I dunno, Walt named the park after his family name, he would never allow this while alive, but he saw the need for marketing products that were in demand, if they sell, that helps support the company and the parks.

"We believed in our idea - a family park where parents and children could have fun- together."

-Walt Disney

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

If done tastefully then sure..I like some of the T shirts..but that orange hat is the type of stuff I don't want to see in the park

• Minion

The shirt is fine. I remember seeing that hat in World of Disney and I thought to myself, this looks like a redneck bought a random, orange hat and printed Walt Disney's face on it. I don't approve.
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

• Mischievous Mouse

I would't buy it. No way. I respect Walt's image too much. I'll take pics of the statues, and photos on the walls at DLR. But that's all.

"We believed in our idea - a family park where parents and children could have fun- together."

-Walt Disney

• The Original LOST BOY

Quote Originally Posted by Disneymike View Post
    In Andy's latest Dateline Disneyland it appears that Disney (the corporation) is continuing the trend of plastering Walt Disney's face on more items such as t-shirts. What do folks think, exploitation or not?

Attachment 23953
    I'd wear that shirt.

I think it would be exploitation if they had him with a sideways hat & a fat gold chain on.
    The Original LOST BOY

• Quintessential Studmuffin

in So Cal but my mind is in disneyland!!!

Some of you guys are taking this way too seriously. The shirt is not that bad, actually. It's tastefully done. But that hat is another story...

• -

Quote Originally Posted by ducktalesfan5555 View Post
    Some of you guys are taking this way too seriously. The shirt is not that bad, actually. It's tastefully done. But that hat is another story...
    Look back at history and the controversy around the addition of "Partners", and that was a tastefully done statue. This is using his likeness for nothing other than selling a fee t-shirts.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Inappropriate

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    This is using his likeness for nothing other than selling a fee t-shirts.
    And there's nothing wrong with that.

Click the banner! ^^^^
    Follow us on Twitter
    @mickeymutineers and on Facebook
    Mickey Mutineer Podcast now available in the blog and on iTunes!

If the Disney family estate shares in the rights, wouldn't they have to sign off on producing the shirts in the first place?
    "In many ways, the work of a critic is easy. We risk very little yet enjoy a position over those who offer up their work and their selves to our judgment. We thrive on negative criticism, which is fun to write and to read. But the bitter truth we critics must face, is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so. But there are times when a critic truly risks something, and that is in the discovery and defense of the new. The world is often unkind to new talent, new creations, the new needs friends." - Anton Ego

• Chief Troublemaker

Quote Originally Posted by TodAZ1 View Post
    If the Disney family estate shares in the rights, wouldn't they have to sign off on producing the shirts in the first place?
    That's why I was wondering who had the 'image' rights. I would assume that if the Disney family had rights on the image, they would have had to sign off on the T shirt. I've been under the impression that the Disney family is very concerned about preserving Walt's legacy (unlike the heirs of M Monroe) & wouldn't sign off on something if they felt it was inappropriate in their eyes. So, I guess if it's OK with them, it's OK with me. Just MHO.
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

• -

Quote Originally Posted by Pizzapants View Post
    And there's nothing wrong with that.
    Only if you find nothing wrong with respecting the man's wishes to not have his likeness used in the park. He didn't even want a statue of himself, and that was tastefully done. Then again, if modern Disney doesn't feel the need to respect any of the man's other wishes or ideals, why should they respect him with this?
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• ...my first visit to DL

Quote Originally Posted by Pizzapants View Post
    The Walt Disney Company doesn't do ANYTHING for any purpose other than making a few bucks.
    That's the difference between exploitation and what Walt did. Walt did the Disneyland TV show in order to finance his park. Just like he mortgaged his studio to complete Snow White. His ability to market and place product were a part of a re-investment process that allowed him to create and grow.

Exploitation is selling characatures of Walt Disney on T-shirts (something that he would have been opposed to) in order to make the shareholders happier with their bottom line - and the fact that it flies in the face of the wishes of the company's founder makes it even worse.

• Thrill Seeker

Quote Originally Posted by DisneylandTraveler View Post
    Andy's point is correct. Walt Disney has been marginalized by corporate Disney to the point where he is primarily a character and a marketing tool. You won't find the real Walt Disney around Disneyland anymore. You need to go to the Disney Family Museum in SF to get a glimpse of the man and visionary.
    Funny thing about that... when I was there last summer I wanted to buy a shirth wth the museum logo on it (Walt's face with the name) but could only find a shirt with Mickey's face on it with the name. And there was only a very few things with Walt's face on it. I asked one of the workers if they still had the sirt I was looking for and was told they were not making those anylonger, and anything with Walt's face on it was leftover merch. And if any new merch with Walt's face on it came in it would be few and far between because the FAMILY wantes to take Walt's likeness off of the merch. So I have a shirt with Mickey's face and the name, not Walt's face. They said the logo would not change, just the merch selection would change by request of the Disney family.
    My Disney adventures in the USA:

[ FLICKR ] - [ You Tube ]

• " Planet of Puddingheads"

Quote Originally Posted by Baba View Post
    Funny thing about that... when I was there last summer I wanted to buy a shirth wth the museum logo on it (Walt's face with the name) but could only find a shirt with Mickey's face on it with the name. And there was only a very few things with Walt's face on it. I asked one of the workers if they still had the sirt I was looking for and was told they were not making those anylonger, and anything with Walt's face on it was leftover merch. And if any new merch with Walt's face on it came in it would be few and far between because the FAMILY wantes to take Walt's likeness off of the merch. So I have a shirt with Mickey's face and the name, not Walt's face. They said the logo would not change, just the merch selection would change by request of the Disney family.
    Yeah, when I visited the Museum there was nothing with Walt's face or likeness and was told that's how the family wanted it.
    They said the museum would speak for itself regarding Walt so it does appear to be a Disney Company thing with his face on apparel.

---------- Post added 09-25-2012 at 05:03 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Circa1966 View Post
    That's the difference between exploitation and what Walt did. Walt did the Disneyland TV show in order to finance his park. Just like he mortgaged his studio to complete Snow White. His ability to market and place product were a part of a re-investment process that allowed him to create and grow.

Exploitation is selling characatures of Walt Disney on T-shirts (something that he would have been opposed to) in order to make the shareholders happier with their bottom line - and the fact that it flies in the face of the wishes of the company's founder makes it even worse.
    Bingo.
    “No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast