Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Re: More exploitation of Walt?

I've seen a couple comments that I agree with. I don't think it's exploitation, he used his name, etc. However, I don't like the shirt and wouldn't wear it but I wouldn't care if others wanted to. The hat is a hideous disgrace.

• Inappropriate

I still find it hard to believe that it was his wishes to not have his likeness on anything when he was the one that put his name on everything. I can understand that he didn't want his likeness on things while he was alive, because looking at a statue of yourself is just weird. But then after he died, Roy even put Walt's full name on the Florida project. So it couldn't have been THAT sacred.

Click the banner! ^^^^
    Follow us on Twitter
    @mickeymutineers and on Facebook
    Mickey Mutineer Podcast now available in the blog and on iTunes!

• Seeker of Fun

I understand what is being said, and I like the discussion as far as Walt's image and how a corporation now manages that image.

However...as much of a Walt Disney fan that I am, we put Presidents image on items all the time. We wear flag shirts and hats that, the flag representing something bigger than Disneyland. We even wear religious symbols around our neck, another something larger than the scheme of Disney. So...I hypothetically ask, what's the harm? Walt Disney isn't bigger than anything I just mentioned.
    Stockholder and Walt Disney Autograph holder!!

• Senior Minion

To me it's not about Walt being "sacred." It's about the nauseating hypocrisy of a corporation that publicly praises Walt while privately smirking at those who admire his works. A corporation that cynically raises statues to Walt even as they blow off his business standards and reduce him to a brand.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

I was sitting here, wondering why Disney feels they need to slap Walt's face all over their merchandise now.

You don't see Universal Studios slapping Carl Laemmle's picture on a bunch of hats and shirts. You don't see Knott's Berry farm selling a bunch of hats and shirts with Walter Knott's picture on them.

Why does Disney feel that they can do this Walt?

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    To me it's not about Walt being "sacred." It's about the nauseating hypocrisy of a corporation that publicly praises Walt while privately smirking at those who admire his works. A corporation that cynically raises statues to Walt even as they blow off his business standards and reduce him to a brand.
    Well said! Walt was a forward thinker, a risk taker, an inovator, a television host, and even a diplomat but he was never a brand and he should not be one now! I love nothing more then seeing old film clips and pictures of Walt but I don't want to see it on a tee-shirt it cheapins the legacy Walt left this world!
    BGood! It's not just my motto its my name!

• " Planet of Puddingheads"

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    I was sitting here, wondering why Disney feels they need to slap Walt's face all over their merchandise now.

You don't see Universal Studios slapping Carl Laemmle's picture on a bunch of hats and shirts. You don't see Knott's Berry farm selling a bunch of hats and shirts with Walter Knott's picture on them.

Great points! Never thought of that.
    “No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    For the same reason Disney upcharges kids $3 to have their name stitched on their Mickey Mouse ears: because it can.

Consumers who think the Disney Corporation shares any of the values or standards of the pre-1985 Walt Disney Company are seriously mistaken. Disney Corp is as far from its founder as today's Bank of America is from A.P. Giannini.

The past and present magic of Disney, created by employees who care, is one thing. The Disney Corporation that takes your money when you pay for the magic is something very different. While not evil, it is as soulless as any Wall Street corporation.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by mickdaddy View Post
    Well said! Walt was a forward thinker, a risk taker, an inovator, a television host, and even a diplomat but he was never a brand and he should not be one now! I love nothing more then seeing old film clips and pictures of Walt but I don't want to see it on a tee-shirt it cheapins the legacy Walt left this world!
    Walt was indeed a brand and he knew it. He put his name on the park and on his films because he wanted his name to be a brand that meant quality entertainment. That isn't a bad thing, it's a great thing. His legacy was that he created a brand that meant something.

The reason you don't see Laemmle's nor Knott's faces on products is that they didn't go out of their way to make the public associate their face with their product. Walt did. He wasn't a television host as a side job, he chose that method to continue reminding the public that this was HIS television show, his movies, and his theme park. He wanted the public to remember that, not because he was any sort of egomaniac, but because he recognized the notion of branding.

He was all the things you said, and he was an icon. Icons often end up on tshirts because people associate the faces with more than just who the people were, but also what they stood for.

Walt passed away over 45 years ago. The majority of the people who walk down Main Street today have no recollection of the man himself. Tom Staggs was probably a toddler in 1966 and would have no memory of Walt as a real living person. To many people, names like Colonel Sanders, Jimmy Dean, or Walt Disney already connote a brand. How many people under 30 know that Harland Sanders was a real person and not an advertising creation? Certainly, the image of Walt as a real person has been kept alive by the Corporation. The sad reality is that time erases the past & the deeds of those who lived then.

I am not defending The Disney Corporation. They are ethically bankrupt. I could go on a long rant about their many sins, but it would serve no purpose. The shirt & hat are both tasteless. The branding, however, is just as much a matter of time as it is the effort of the Corporation. A name eventually becomes exactly that, a name. There's no great conspiracy here. In the litany of crass decisions committed by the Corporation, this just doesn't merit that much notice.
    My guess is that this product line is more of a symptom of creative laziness by the merchandising division than it is a concerted effort to turn Walt's image into the new cash cow. Hopefully it will not sell & will go away.
    Skiddley Whiffers is a cruel mistress; cold and unforgiving.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    This is the best argument against walt branding I've seen yet. Walt the brand was created long ago by the man himself. There is nothing inherently wrong about that. But the meaning of that brand has been blurred and almost lost in recent years to the point that his face and name mean almost nothing compared to what it once did.
    In the quest for quality, I have no problem with the characters footing the bill.

• Mostly Harmless.

Most people hate it when I do this but... C'est la vie.
    Unfortunately when Walt Disney formed the Walt Disney company he gave up his name and quite possibly his likeness. This actually happens a lot, usually when the company founder is still living too. See Oldsmobile and REO (Ransom E. Olds) motor company for example, or Famous Amos cookies. When you turn yourself into a brand this sort of thing is likely to happen. So is Disney being immoral about slapping their founder on shirts and hats? I don't think so. He is their property. Seriously, statues, replica of said statues for sale, pictures for sale, coffee mugs, and now that its on a t shirt and an ugly hat we are upset?

So that's my 2 cents. Ignore or flame as you please.
    He felt like his life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.
    follow us on Twitter! @MickeyMutineers
    DisregardListen to our podcast on iTunes!

• Sorcerer Supreme Bean

Why do threads about terrible t shirts always turn into grand conspiracy Walt Disney Co bashing threads?

Cant we all agree that the t shirt (and hat) are terrible regardless?
    There is no right or wrong in this debate. It is simply a matter of perspective.
    -Dr. Strange

Quote Originally Posted by Wren View Post
    Why do threads about terrible t shirts always turn into grand conspiracy Walt Disney Co bashing threads?

Cant we all agree that the t shirt (and hat) are terrible regardless?
    The hat is tasteless, but the "It was all started by a mouse" shirt is okay in my book.

It also seems to me that the company believes that putting Walt on clothing IS honoring the man and would have a hard time seeing it as exploitative.
    Everyone is entitled to an informed opinion.
    Harlan Ellison

I may not be the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree, but I do shine.

Texan by birth, Californian by choice.

There should be a sticky thread called "This Day in Disney History." The company has a long history and this would be a good way to acknowledge it. Walt was born 112 years ago; that's quite a chunk of American history and culture.

• " Planet of Puddingheads"

Quote Originally Posted by Not My Real Name View Post
    The hat is tasteless, but the "It was all started by a mouse" shirt is okay in my book.

It also seems to me that the company believes that putting Walt on clothing IS honoring the man and would have a hard time seeing it as exploitative.
    I wouldn't call slapping Walt's picture on $22 shirts "honoring" him. How about installing an updated Walt Disney story somewhere? How about bringing back his office from WDW, where he never even set foot in, back to Anaheim where it belongs?
    How about SOMETHING educational about the man so younger generations who can't visit the museum in San Francisco gain some knowledge about him, not only of Disneyland but his accomplishments in technology and entertainment?
    “No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast