Where to upgrade to Premier Pass?

I'll try to explain this as clearly as I can.
    Thanks to information from this site, we bought vouchers for Premium passes at the old price of $499.
    Our current passes expire in November, so we'll get new passes with the vouchers at that time.
    We're going to WDW in December, and plan to upgrade our Premium passes to Premier passes.

I've read that if we upgrade at Disneyland, we'll be charged the difference between what we paid ($499) and the price of the Premier; if we wait and upgrade at WDW, we'll only be charged the difference between the current Premium price ($649) and the Premier price.

Can anyone verify this? Has anyone taken a Disneyland pass to Florida and upgraded there?
    Thanks for any info you can give me.

Re: Where to upgrade to Premier Pass?

I did the Premium to Premiere upgrade last year. I first bought my Premium pass on the monthly payment plan in August at DL, because I didn't have $700+ to shell out at once for the Premiere pass. Then, just before heading out to WDW in November, I went to DL and upgraded to Premiere. I was charged the difference between the cost of the Premium pass on my current contract and the cost of the Premiere pass, which I had to pay in total at the window.

I was told that if I waited to upgrade to the Premiere pass in Florida, I would also have to pay tax on top of the price difference. This is because DL builds the tax into the cost of the passes here, while Florida adds the tax on top of their pass price.

Also, to more directly answer your question, the Premium pass prices are different in CA and FL because FL has more parks. If your voucher was for a DL Premium pass, you'll be able to get into DL and DCA at whatever the cost of the voucher was. If you are able to use the voucher for a WDW Premium pass, you'll be able to get into Epcot, MK, DHS, AK, etc, but I'm sure they'll charge you the difference in the value of the voucher for the WDW Premium pass. (Unless your voucher is like a Forever stamp, where it doesn't matter how much you paid. Haha.)

Hope this helps!

Quote Originally Posted by DanaJ View Post
    I'll try to explain this as clearly as I can.
    Thanks to information from this site, we bought vouchers for Premium passes at the old price of $499.
    Our current passes expire in November, so we'll get new passes with the vouchers at that time.
    We're going to WDW in December, and plan to upgrade our Premium passes to Premier passes.

I've read that if we upgrade at Disneyland, we'll be charged the difference between what we paid ($499) and the price of the Premier; if we wait and upgrade at WDW, we'll only be charged the difference between the current Premium price ($649) and the Premier price.

Can anyone verify this? Has anyone taken a Disneyland pass to Florida and upgraded there?
    Thanks for any info you can give me.

• the F.O.D. solution.

Quote Originally Posted by DanaJ View Post
    Not true. The price of the AP is attached to the pass. Whenever an upgrade is done, the Cast Member looks up the price paid for the current pass and charges accordingly. If the pass was purchased on the opposite coast, a Lead will have to call the other coast to obtain the original purchase price. You will have to pay the difference of 499/849 + Florida's portion of the tax.

I suggest upgrading at DL as it will be a quicker process (no waiting for phone calls to Florida, and shorter queues.

---------- Post added 09-24-2012 at 01:04 PM ----------

Since you'll have to pay the full 849 price for the upgrade... might be easier to just renew to premium on the monthly plan and then pay the difference for the Premiere. I'm sure you'll find an eager buyer for a 499 Premium.

•   
    • ALL DISNEY ALL THE TIME

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DCACM View Post
    Not true. The price of the AP is attached to the pass. Whenever an upgrade is done, the Cast Member looks up the price paid for the current pass and charges accordingly. If the pass was purchased on the opposite coast, a Lead will have to call the other coast to obtain the original purchase price. You will have to pay the difference of 499/849 + Florida's portion of the tax.

I suggest upgrading at DL as it will be a quicker process (no waiting for phone calls to Florida, and shorter queues.

---------- Post added 09-24-2012 at 01:04 PM ----------

Since you'll have to pay the full 849 price for the upgrade... might be easier to just renew to premium on the monthly plan and then pay the difference for the Premiere. I'm sure you'll find an eager buyer for a 499 Premium.
    This is correct it will cost 350 to upgrade
    Im here for fun and info not be a bully! Carsland here I come

Thanks for the input. Looks like we'll just upgrade at Disneyland before going to Florida.

So if you were to buy a new Premier pass at Disneyland it will cost $849.00 with no tax, but if you buy the Premier pass at Walt Disney World it will cost $849.00 plus tax (taxed in Florida but not in California)?

Yep. Weird, huh? But I call it a win for CA if you know about it.

• The Tomorrowland One

Quote Originally Posted by DZLAND View Post
    So if you were to buy a new Premier pass at Disneyland it will cost $849.00 with no tax, but if you buy the Premier pass at Walt Disney World it will cost $849.00 plus tax (taxed in Florida but not in California)?
    No. Half the sale is considered to be a California sale (CA has no sales tax on admission media) and half a Florida sale (FL has sales tax on admission media). You will pay the same price at either resort.

That is why if you do the math, it seems like the Premier is being taxed at half the tax rate of FL sales tax.