Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: "Xanaduuuuu...." "Xanaduuuuuu..."

Oh, Xanadu was a movie I saw a zillion years ago. Loved it. Loved Olivia Newton John.

Didn't recognize the Pan Pacific as something. I guess I need to rewatch it.

Saw Olivia Newton John at Gay Pride a few years back. Still got the voice...... Oh, yes.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by 9oldmen View Post
    Also, and I'm surprised this didn't come up yet, but that new DCA entrance is also sort of modeled off of the entrance to DHS (formerly Disney/MGM)

It's been there since '89, 12 years before the opening of DCA, about 23 years before the current DCA entrance was fully operational.
    DCA's entrance isn't based off of DHS'--the two entrances are both modeled after the Pan Pacific.

Whenever I see the red car trolleys, I tend to hear a clang, clang, clang in my head.

Quote Originally Posted by ohmyjustin View Post
    DCA's entrance isn't based off of DHS'--the two entrances are both modeled after the Pan Pacific.

Whenever I see the red car trolleys, I tend to hear a clang, clang, clang in my head.
    ...which was why I said that it was sort of based on DHS's, which maybe wasn't very specific. I know that they both take their cue from the same extinct landmark. Certainly, the idea to base an entrance to a Disney park on the Pan Pacific was first implemented at what was then Disney/MGM, and a discussion of the new DCA entrance, and comparing it to other things wouldn't have been complete without bringing up the Florida park. So, I did.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by PetiteMortKvsh View Post
    I can not help but sing that everytime , others must thinks I am a loon!
    I'm a loon too! ("now we are here...IN XANADUUUUUUU...")

9oldmen great Roger Rabitt vid! Problem is with the wording that the DCA entrance is modeled off of DHS, which implies that DHS originated it and DCA copied it when in fact they were both from the same source. The similarity of DCA and DHS opening was a HUGE HUGE HUGE discussion topic as soon as the similarity was revealed, so for Micechat old timers it seems redundant to point it out .

• Just drawn that way

Quote Originally Posted by ShelbyH View Post
    I'm a loon too! ("now we are here...IN XANADUUUUUUU...")
    Glad to see I am not alone!

• Closed Account

Attached Images Attached Images  

• Blew By You

I did see it frequently before it was destroyed by fire. My dad saw a few boxing matches there. LA had some great auditoriums in its time: Pan Pacific, the Olympic auditorium where I saw lots of roller derby.

Guess what? It was O N-J's birthday TWO DAYS ago! She's 64! What an amazing coincidence, don't you think? A thread about her gets started bofore her B-Day and finishes after!

Other points:

Until seeing this movie, I had no idea Gene Kelley could roller-skate.
    The movie also features Don Bluth animation.
    For the time, 1980, the movie has dazzling SFX.
    Everyone is entitled to an informed opinion.
    Harlan Ellison

I may not be the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree, but I do shine.

Texan by birth, Californian by choice.

There should be a sticky thread called "This Day in Disney History." The company has a long history and this would be a good way to acknowledge it. Walt was born 112 years ago; that's quite a chunk of American history and culture.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12