Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Limit the speed of electric scooters to 2.5 mph

The ones you see flying around at warp 9.9 are not the Disney ones. The saftey nazis have taken case of the Disney operated ones and travel with limited speed.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Boy View Post

Sorry to say this, but it's the clueless people that just stop for no reason and no matter how fast I let go of the handle, it will take a small moment of space to stop. If I see people slowing down, I slow down. But if they just stop in the middle of the street I can't do much about that. And walking people cut right in front of me without even looking. That's the problem now days, people do not pay any attention to anyone around them. They just change lanes, stop or cut in front, without ever looking. People walking even run into other people walking because they are just no paying attention.
    Yes! The people who just stop walking drive me nuts. And I don't use an ECV at all, although I do often push a stroller. I don't know why people just completely don't pay attention to anyone around them. They'll walk 5 or 6 abreast, for example. People stop to take a picture, check the map, send a text, pick their nose, whatever. Sometimes even THEIR OWN PARTY doesn't realize they've stopped. And when someone stops abruptly then everyone else has to. I've nearly run into people walking and I've had people accidentally run into me because I had to stop suddenly for the person in front of me. And that's not even mentioning the fact that an ECV needs a little space to stop.

Walking is like driving. Slow lane to the right, faster lane to the left, and if you have to take a picture or read a map or take a call or whatever, PULL OVER. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to glance over your shoulder and step to the side before stopping.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Boy View Post
    Sorry to say this, but it's the clueless people that just stop for no reason and no matter how fast I let go of the handle, it will take a small moment of space to stop.
    Quote Originally Posted by ShelbyH View Post
    Yes! The people who just stop walking drive me nuts.

Walking is like driving. Slow lane to the right, faster lane to the left, and if you have to take a picture or read a map or take a call or whatever, PULL OVER. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to glance over your shoulder and step to the side before stopping.
    I'm a walker and this is EXACTLY the problem! Thanks to both of you for pointing it out.

Many people are simply not aware of their surroundings. They couldn't care less. Others are aware but are selfish. Stopping abruptly and in the middle of walkways is not acceptable to me. Cutting across paths without looking is not acceptable to me. Walking right at me without noticing we're on a collision course is not acceptable to me. Why should I be the one required to get out of somebody else's way. I usually move a little to one side, but if they don't move a little the other way, it's on!

This may be unpopular, but when I lived in New York City, I learned to run into these types of people. I figure if enough people do that, they'll learn to look, they'll learn to be aware of their surroundings and of other people. (Note: I don't run into kids, older people, women, disabled, etc.) I don't necessarily give them a full body slam, but definitely a shoulder. Usually, they respond with, oh sorry and a dirty look. But presumably they will look next time.

At a table in front of the French Quarter Market

I have ridden the scooters at DL many times, and they are painfully slow. Most scooters can go about 4.5 or 5 MPH, but Disney has brought the top speed down to at least 2.5 if not lower. A few years ago, I used to try to go with groups of walking Micechatters around the park, but I always got left in the dust. THey also have an almost inaudible horn, so if someone is about to walk into me because they're looking sideways as they walk, I can't warn them.

Fluffy Club Member

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Mojave View Post
    I'm a walker and this is EXACTLY the problem! Thanks to both of you for pointing it out.

Many people are simply not aware of their surroundings. They couldn't care less. Others are aware but are selfish. Stopping abruptly and in the middle of walkways is not acceptable to me. Cutting across paths without looking is not acceptable to me. Walking right at me without noticing we're on a collision course is not acceptable to me. Why should I be the one required to get out of somebody else's way. I usually move a little to one side, but if they don't move a little the other way, it's on!

This may be unpopular, but when I lived in New York City, I learned to run into these types of people. I figure if enough people do that, they'll learn to look, they'll learn to be aware of their surroundings and of other people. (Note: I don't run into kids, older people, women, disabled, etc.) I don't necessarily give them a full body slam, but definitely a shoulder. Usually, they respond with, oh sorry and a dirty look. But presumably they will look next time.
    Same here. The people who walk five abreast and don't realize they are blocking everyone else--the ones who stop abruptly--they make it very hard to walk. I personally like to take photos in Disneyland so I stop a lot--but I walk on the edge of the crowd and veer over to the wall when I want to stop so I don't block or run into anyone else.

Part of me wonders if it has to do with the car culture here in Southern California. In NYC, the ones who were "clueless walkers" were generally tourists from other places, and maybe they weren't used to walking in crowds. In California...well, people spend so much time in their cars that maybe they don't understand how to walk in crowds. You'd think it would be instinctual--after all, in your car you know not to slam on the brakes--but maybe people don't get it. I'd like to think that, and that they're not just inconsiderate.

•   
    • Banned User

That was a rather sobering story Lost Boy, thanks for sharing and I hope at least one person learned from it. Also, thanks for clarifying the governor issue.

I've often wondered ( typically when I'm in Adventureland walking through that choke point between River Belle Terrace and Tarzan's Treehouse ) if a solution wouldn't be a colored line on the ground with arrows pointing in two different directions.

Yes, I know it would undo the overall aesthetics of the theming of the land but maybe it's needed? If enough people voluntarily followed those arrows then traffic would flow a little more smoothly. Also, the staggering sightseers who just stop and cause a traffic jam would eventually notice ( when upset customers point it out to them ) that they're standing in what's clearly marked as a lane of traffic. The message being, "maybe you should pull over to the side and stop there to look at your map or make that phone call?"

•   
    • RCMC: Java Junkie

It's amazing how many people just become oblivious to their surroundings once they enter the turnstiles. I also seem to get caught behind a group of people who decide to walk pretty slow and they'll be walking side by side about 4 or 5 of them, and they make it impossible to get around them. Kind of reminds me of people on the freeways, they drive slow and when they see you trying to get around them they speed up so that you can't. Completely annoying and rude......at least in my opinion.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

How would speed even be regulated? A bunch of Cast Members with radar guns trying to catch speeders?

At a table in front of the French Quarter Market

Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    Part of me wonders if it has to do with the car culture here in Southern California. In NYC, the ones who were "clueless walkers" were generally tourists from other places, and maybe they weren't used to walking in crowds. In California...well, people spend so much time in their cars that maybe they don't understand how to walk in crowds. You'd think it would be instinctual--after all, in your car you know not to slam on the brakes--but maybe people don't get it. I'd like to think that, and that they're not just inconsiderate.
    Exactly! WHenever I'm walking in a crowd it seems just like driving in traffic. WHen I want to stop, I pull over to the side. Driving makes you very aware at all times of your position in relation to others. You want to get where you're going, but safely and considerately. Most people walking at DL seem completely oblivious to everyone but their own group.

Fluffy Club Member

• Bring back the Keelboats!

My hubby has to use a mobility scooter or else we couldn't go anywhere that involves a lot of walking. He brings his own scooter. It goes from 'Turtle' speed to 'Bunny' speed and stops on a dime. He usually goes one or two clicks past Turtle in the Park, less if I tell him to slow down as the day progresses. The speed goes up, though, as we go over the bridge at Pirates or up the hill in Critter Country. If the speed didn't increase, the scooter would probably stall out or we would get complaints of going too slow.

I am thankful for the scooter for giving us some semblence of our 'normal' life back after the accident that damaged his spine forever.

Hidden Mickey - Historical fiction about Walt that mixes action and mystery with time travel and fantasy! Tweens to adults will enjoy these novels. And now, three gamebooks to play in Disneyland, DCA and WDW Magic Kingdom!

Check out my six action/adventure novels about Walt's lost diary and his epic quest. Visit my blog page!

Sometimes Dead Men DO Tell Tales!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    I think it's not just the Californians--I think any area that doesn't rely heavily on mass transit are going to spawn clueless walkers. I mean, how many people outside of major cities with primary public transit know that there's actually a polite way to stand on an escalator? (stand to the right, walk to the left). If you're not going up and down subway stations, there's not a lot of use for that, and that's certainly not limited to California car culture.

I have not experienced speed issues, however, if I did, I would immediately utilize the Disney website to report it. In the past, they have been most responsive.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

I have often said that if people drove to the park the way they walk inside the park, attendance would be cut way down.

I have used the Disney rental scooters, and it's hard to get more than a little speed out of them. If I had a nickel for every person who stopped right in front without looking, or slowed down for no discernable reason right next to me, I'd be a much richer man today.
    Last edited by Radiobarry; 09-29-2012 at 07:32 PM.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12