Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Mischievous Mouse

Limit the speed of electric scooters to 2.5 mph

The average walking speed of an adult is about 3 mph, for a child even less. These scooters they rent do 5-8 mph I'm guessing, and that's just dangerous. I can't recall how many times I was cut off or nearly run into. Look, you don't have to walk, you can take it slower than EVERYBODY Else.

"We believed in our idea - a family park where parents and children could have fun- together."

-Walt Disney

• Fun times

Re: Limit the speed of electric scooters to 2.5 mph

Agreed!! They should put a speed regulator on the park's rental scooters.

Quote Originally Posted by brem View Post
    Agreed!! They should put a speed regulator on the park's rental scooters.
    Some bring their own scooters though.

Dont people come with fam? How do they keep up?!

• -

I don't think I've ever seen anyone on a scooter traveling faster than walking speed. It us just not possible on the crowded Disneyland walkways. Usually, I'm walking faster than the scooter people drive.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

I agree completely.
    And they get pushy too. They should ad cattle guards to push the rest of us out of the way.
    With kind regards,
    The Tony

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Most of the times they move at a normal speed...but I have seen some move WAY too fast in the scooters...with the "get out of my way or I'll run you over" attitude...would think 5 miles per hour should be enough

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen anyone on a scooter traveling faster than walking speed. It us just not possible on the crowded Disneyland walkways. Usually, I'm walking faster than the scooter people drive.
    Trust us, they're faster than you recall!

• Selfie Expert

I don't know that I've noticed it with rentals, but there were a couple scooters on my last visit that I swear the owners must have modified. Those things FLEW! All I could think of was "Silver Bullet" haha Luckily it wasn't crowded at all, so they weren't too dangerous, but I could see it becoming an issue if people try to rush through crowds at those speeds.

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

Last week, I noticed some people on those really small scooters - they don't have full seats, you just sit on them like a moped. Are those new or did I just miss them before? There was a teenager with a cast on his right leg kneeling on one of them getting around very easily.

• Foolish Mortal

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    That depends on what time of the year you go though. I've almost been ran over by these things.

"So make the best of this test and don't ask why. It's not a question but a lesson learned in time."- Green Day
    "The harder you work, the luckier you get."- Billie Joe Armstrong
    "This is my rage. This is my love. This is my town. This is my city. This is my life."

• -

Quote Originally Posted by monster heck View Post
    Trust us, they're faster than you recall!
    I go all the time to the park, and my memory is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Slappypunk View Post
    That depends on what time of the year you go though. I've almost been ran over by these things.
    I go all different times during the year and never had a problem.

Perhaps this is a case of one or two isolated incidents sticking out in people's minds. We tend to remember the negative more than the positive.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Just drawn that way

The Scooters for rent at the park do have a governor on them or they'd go faster.......
    Some of the ones from outside the park have modes on them that if you go to slow they stall. I have also seen some of the new chairs that stop if it senses your to close to something or someone....the only thing bad about that is the people behind you think you just stopped for no reason, when in fact its the safety mechanisms.

•   
    • Banned User

You can't do much about the ones people bring in with them, but as for the rented ones? Yeah, why not have a governor on it? What legitimate purpose does someone have to do 5-8mph in that thing in a park? I'm sorry to say but we no longer live in a society where simply hoping that others will be intelligent and civil is enough. Sometimes we need physical limitations in place for the sake of safety.

Quote Originally Posted by KellyMcG86 View Post
    I don't know that I've noticed it with rentals, but there were a couple scooters on my last visit that I swear the owners must have modified. Those things FLEW!
    Sounds like Rocket Rods is back. Slow-slow-slow-FAST! .....slow-slow-slow-FAST!

I hardly ever have problems with people who drive the scooters. I'm run into or cut off more with parents pushing strollers.

• Still lost in Neverland

I am one who can't get around anymore at the Parks so I rent one of these every time I go. I can assure you that THEY DO HAVE GOVERNORS on them. People can walk much faster than these scooters can go. You can turn the speed dial to full speed and they still go at less than walking speed. I am guessing about 2mph at top speed.

Sorry to say this, but it's the clueless people that just stop for no reason and no matter how fast I let go of the handle, it will take a small moment of space to stop. If I see people slowing down, I slow down. But if they just stop in the middle of the street I can't do much about that. And walking people cut right in front of me without even looking. That's the problem now days, people do not pay any attention to anyone around them. They just change lanes, stop or cut in front, without ever looking. People walking even run into other people walking because they are just no paying attention. People will also be going in the opposite direction and see me coming and just keep right on walking directly at me. Are they playing some distorted game of Chicken? They can move to the side faster than I can. I have had people shove their strollers right in front of me, bang into me, give me a nasty look and keep right on going.

I guess I just have to hope that someday consideration for people in wheel chairs and other conveniences will be given by those who are lucky enough to still be able to walk.
    Last edited by Lost Boy; 09-25-2012 at 03:55 PM.
    Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

Thank You Poisonedapples

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast