Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Lurker

Re: Complete Darkness?

From what I remember of riding TOT a couple of times last week, all of the drops wind up in complete darkness, though you quickly come back into at least some light each time.

• DLR Enthusiast

Any time the elevator is in motion during the pre-show, it's in complete darkness.
    -Brian - Find me on Facebook

• Minion

Adventure thru Inner Space was one of the darkest dark rides ever, and the beginning was intentionally dark to disguise the fact that you were no longer moving forward into the microscope, the track actually curved around, so you were moving sideways and then backwards. Also the vehicles rotated back and forth slightly to disguise the curving motion. It was dark all the way through the rest of the attraction with the only light being that coming from effects or projections. It became known as a "makeout ride" because of the darkness, and in those days there weren't the security cameras covering every inch of the park. Same with Rainbow Caverns at the end of Mine Train thru Nature's Wonderland - totally dark, no ambient light, and the only visible light was the fluorescent colors of the water. These probably wouldn't be approved today.

With the projections, the Ghost Galaxy overlay actually brightens the ride area, and at some points, you can even see the track. This would probably make it easier for your friend; however, the ride is completely dark between the right turn after leaving the load area and the beginning of the first lift. As you recall, this area usually has those blinking blue lights the rest of the year.

Downside of a cellphone screen or a glow stick is that they shine in all directions; lots of "light bleed." The advantage of a very small flashlight is you can shield it with your hand, keeping it pointed only toward yourself or your own ride vehicle, and not disturbing anyone else.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

Quote Originally Posted by alphabassetgrrl View Post
    Downside of a cellphone screen or a glow stick is that they shine in all directions; lots of "light bleed." The advantage of a very small flashlight is you can shield it with your hand, keeping it pointed only toward yourself or your own ride vehicle, and not disturbing anyone else.
    I agree about the phone but not the glowsticks.

•   
    • Banned User

It's already been covered pretty well but I'll second it anyways.

Don't go on Finding Nemo. An ex of mine went on me with that. Despite being in the Navy and stationed on actual naval vessels, she got inside that sub and had a terrible claustrophobic episode. She stepped on top of people to scramble out over their shoulders and get out of the hatch. Your friend with his darkness issues will fare about the same, but there's always the disabled viewing area for that ride on the surface.

• Sshhh, being very quiet

Quote Originally Posted by fifthrider View Post
    Don't go on Finding Nemo. An ex of mine went on me with that. Despite being in the Navy and stationed on actual naval vessels, she got inside that sub and had a terrible claustrophobic episode. She stepped on top of people to scramble out over their shoulders and get out of the hatch. Your friend with his darkness issues will fare about the same, but there's always the disabled viewing area for that ride on the surface.
    I went on Nemo back when it first opened, for a soft opening. My sister *almost* had a claustrophobic episode towards the end of the ride...if it had gone on longer she would have freaked out to. And it was hot in there...no ac at all.

I never went on it again. So yeah, wouldn't suggest the Nemo ride for OP's friend.

• Nic

Doesn't Matterhorn have the cave windows where you can see snow and other mountains? He could focus on that.
    Fear of the unknown.

They are afraid of new ideas.

They are loaded with prejudices, not based upon any reality, but based on if something is new, I reject it immediately because its frightening to me. What they do instead is just stay with the familiar.
    You know, to me, the most beautiful things in all the universe, are the most mysterious.

• Dead men tell no tales.

Chesire's right. About three quarters up the ride to the top where some of the total darkness appears there are small "windows" on either side of the track the have a simple projection of snow falling which does make a fair amount of light. The only other dark spots I can think of on the Matterhorn are the parts when you go past the yeti after your first encounter. On both sides of the mountain you go into a small cavern and for a few seconds (maybe only 1 or 2 seconds at most) you are in complete darkness, but only until the yeti is revealed and a bright strobe light flashes illuminating everything.

In Splash Mountain, there is a fairly long drop INSIDE the ride. During the entire drop, you are in COMPLETE darkness. Again, this lasts no more than about 10 seconds but it still is pretty dark.

My 2 and 4 year old children are scared of the dark and they seem to have managed okay even with complete darkness being a part of many of the ride.

• Mrs. J. Depp

You can also buy packs of glow stick necklaces at party supply stores but around Halloween, Wal-Mart and Target also carry those types of things. Good luck!

Facebook me!
    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

We lost power on Small World and were stuck floating in complete darkness. Then we got to float out the last few scenes with lights and animation but no sounds or music. It was less creepy with the lights out.

• Minion

Night vision goggles.

Thanks everyone! He doesn't really have a problem with claustrophobia. He's even ok in the dark for the most part. It's the complete darkness (can't see your hand in front of your face) that gets him. I mentioned glow sticks to him, but he thinks he;ll be embarressed carrying those around. He seems to think focusing on the glow from his lit watch will be enough. I beg to differ. I'd rather be safe than sorry. Maybe I'll take some glow sticks without his knowledge and pull them out of my hip pack if he needs one.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast