Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

• Nic

Re: Complete Darkness?

How about one of those shirts that can light up and turn off and on at a moments notice? I have one and it really looks like a regular t-shirt when not on, and isn't too bright.
    Fear of the unknown.

They are afraid of new ideas.

They are loaded with prejudices, not based upon any reality, but based on if something is new, I reject it immediately because its frightening to me. What they do instead is just stay with the familiar.
    You know, to me, the most beautiful things in all the universe, are the most mysterious.

• Knight that says Nee!!

The end of Alice in Wonderland has a VERY brief moment of total darkness at the end. So do a few of the "dark rides" in FL.

Quote Originally Posted by TodAZ1 View Post
    Anyone remember the very beginning of Adventure Through Inner Space? Just after your Atomobile entered the "microscope?" Now THAT was complete darkness!!
    LOL yeah, that was darker than dark! Ahh...inner space...

• Minion

Glow sticks are almost always available at any Dollar store or 99 cent store. They're a big one-dollar item so don't pay a lot for them. Target dollar section can be hit and miss.

But really, with the exception of Space and ToT, there aren't any rides with extended periods of can't see your hand darkness. A few seconds at most, but nothing prolonged. If he thinks his watch is fine and he can focus on it for 15-20 seconds, he'll be fine. You have to activate a glow stick so if he freaks out, by the time you whip it out and get it open and cracked, the dark part will be over anyway.

•   
    • Minion

They sell a lot of little glowing items at the park and at dollar stores--he will see tons of people with glowing lanyards like these, for instance. And you can find those online/at other stores for less money than at Disneyland, but if you miss out, the World of Disney store in DTD carries them.

Those are good because if you're sitting face front in a ride vehicle--say on Matterhorn or BTM (your friend will not want to ride Big Thunder Mountain at night, since it does have complete darkness in a few places)--nobody else can really see it.

• The doctor is in

Quote Originally Posted by produceguy View Post
    Hmm? Glow sticks. That's a good idea. Maybe he could wear one around his neck under his shirt, and pull it out as needed? Need to find some of those quickly. We leave in 13 days!

Would a glow stick last for a full day, does anyone know?

Thanks for all your replies everyone! You are so helpful!
    The military uses things called ChemLights that can last quite a while. Certain colors last up to 12 hours. We have them at our Military Clothing stores but I bet you could probably find something similar at any sporting goods store.
    I wish Frozen would have never been made.

Quote Originally Posted by DrFink View Post
    The military uses things called ChemLights that can last quite a while. Certain colors last up to 12 hours. We have them at our Military Clothing stores but I bet you could probably find something similar at any sporting goods store.

That is something to remember.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• Banned User

I have a simpler solution and I'm not being sarcastic, I'm 100% serious.

Just close your eyes.

I mean, he's not so scared of darkness that he can't close his own eyes, right? If so then sleeping has to be a real problem. If he's capable of closing his eyes then he can close them and just pretend he's not in a dark room. Similarly I hate heights in a real panic-inducing way. Maybe in some masochistic effort to overcome it I still find myself going on every ride like the MailBoomer or Tower of Terror. I close my eyes on the drop; the feeling of the drop is still there but the panic of falling to your death is completely gone.

Quote Originally Posted by tloolgb View Post
    We lost power on Small World and were stuck floating in complete darkness. Then we got to float out the last few scenes with lights and animation but no sounds or music. It was less creepy with the lights out.
    Okay, now that would scare the hell out of me. Never mind the darkness, think about all those happy singing children suddenly stopping, all those lifeless eyes staring at you in complete silence. I would feel like I'm on Children of the Corn: The Ride. No thanks. I wouldn't even close my eyes for fear that I'd open them and find myself surrounded by animatronics just staring at me.

What about a glow stick-flashlight hybrid? It can be turned on and off through the ride(s) too. I wouldn't use the neck lanyard it comes with on the faster rides though (Tot due to the drop, Space, BTMRR, etc) due to a possible choking that might happen, but the lanyard could be wrapped around the hand/wrist and he could just hold the stick in his hand. This is the hybrid: Life Gear Glow Stick Flashlight - Assorted Colors : Target

Quote Originally Posted by fifthrider View Post
    I have a simpler solution and I'm not being sarcastic, I'm 100% serious.

Just close your eyes.
    I said that too, but he says that doesn't work if he's moving.

---------- Post added 09-26-2012 at 01:01 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Kestra View Post
    What about a glow stick-flashlight hybrid? It can be turned on and off through the ride(s) too. I wouldn't use the neck lanyard it comes with on the faster rides though (Tot due to the drop, Space, BTMRR, etc) due to a possible choking that might happen, but the lanyard could be wrapped around the hand/wrist and he could just hold the stick in his hand. This is the hybrid: Life Gear Glow Stick Flashlight - Assorted Colors : Target
    I think I'll check those out today since I'll be near a target. Thanks!

North Highlands, California, United States

Why not get a pair of the glowing Mickey ears? It may be a little pricier but he’ll have a souven-ear and be able to have a little bit of light when in the darker rides. Plus, he won’t stand out as much if he were just holding a random glow stick.

Idk, just a thought. Maybe when he’s in the moment he won’t be so worried about the dark but enjoy the ride and ambience around him.

GOOD LUCK!

• The doctor is in

Quote Originally Posted by MrsPricklePants View Post
    Idk, just a thought. Maybe when he’s in the moment he won’t be so worried about the dark but enjoy the ride and ambience around him.
    That is a good point. A lot of the time basic fears tend to go out the window, to an extent, when you are having a good time.
    I wish Frozen would have never been made.

Quote Originally Posted by MrsPricklePants View Post
    Why not get a pair of the glowing Mickey ears? It may be a little pricier but he’ll have a souven-ear and be able to have a little bit of light when in the darker rides. Plus, he won’t stand out as much if he were just holding a random glow stick.

GOOD LUCK!

---------- Post added 09-26-2012 at 03:09 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by DrFink View Post
    That is a good point. A lot of the time basic fears tend to go out the window, to an extent, when you are having a good time.
    Thanks! I really hope that will be the case

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123